One week at a time beginning 23rd February 2021…on we go in 2021 !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

February is nearly over . We have had some tough times haven’t we ? We are still here though, never giving up whatever life throws at us . There is light at the end of the tunnel so on we go , looking ahead to brighter, warmer days and the happy prospect of meeting family and friends… soon .

There is a lot of support and warmth on our thread, it’s lovely to see and we are not going to stop now . However disappointed , frustrated or sad we feel , we are always going to feel better ultimately if we look after our health .

There is always someone to pick you up and however tough it feels, someone else has been there . You are not alone

Wendy wendleg, Sunshine girl and SunnyB xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Our ever growing list

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR

• posted by Tulip1
    on

hooray thank you Wendy and team 😍😍….getting in early so I get all the messages in my email feed, altho nothing earth shattering to say about the WOE right now xxx

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Toot toot! It’s a good day in the UK today. I’m no fan of Bojo, but the vaccination programme is going so well, that it means by the summer, we should be returning to some sort of normality and able to see friends and family. It’s a good goal to work towards in terms of weight loss.
    So I realised that over the last few weeks, I’ve been up and down with weight loss and thought I had plateaued. What I know now is that there has been a clear correlation between my drinking alcohol and weight loss. I did a dry January and stuck rigidly to the diet for the first four weeks. For the first two weeks of Feb I had a couple of drinks and it showed on the scales. Last week I was off the booze again and the weight loss had continued.
    This is technically week 8, but I’ve decided to treat it as week 5 and keep going with no drinking and see what happens over the next 4 weeks.
    So yes, I’m here, motivated and ready for another week.
    Come on guys, we can do this.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well said, Wendy …. think many have struggled recently and indeed still are, both with the pandemic fallout and by extension, sticking to this WOE. Some days it’s hard not to view the light at the end of the tunnel, as an oncoming train. However, there really are rays of hope now, though having patience is still key. We need the wisdom to recognise what is within our control and what is not, so that we can try not to waste energy in the wrong areas. Dig deep friends and when you don’t have the energy to dig, please come here and we’ll do our best to help.

Personally, this last week was easier than the previous one and so although most days the cals gave been over 800, most days the carbs have been below 20g. Consequently this week, I begin in a better position than last Monday … 1.5lbs down. This puts me at 2.5lbs away from target again, so another couple of weeks and hopefully I can move back into maintenance. But not taking anything for granted, I’m a slow losser and who knows if I’ll derail at some point or not …. one day at a time. Think what helped me this week, was Wendy’s reminder to mix up when the overnight fast is broken …. think that is what has ensured my drop on the scales.

Whatever approach you are taking, best wishes for a positive week.

• posted by florob85
    on

Well I’ve mixed things up the last week too and have been trying as low carb as possible and been under 20g the last few days. I’ve managed to lose my entire Valentine’s Day (5lbs!!!!) gain plus 1lb bonus so I think it’s working but some observations:

1. I find it very difficult to know what to eat for 20g but I’m managing just
    2. I’ve been shocked actually how awful I’ve felt just dropping carbs by 10g (was averaging 30g)!! Full on keto flu again and carb withdrawal headaches again. But starting to ease
    3. I’ve also been absolutely ravenous again!

But seems to be working so I’ll stick to it!

In other news. Boris looks very yellow tonight! Do you think he’s quite well?! Also “crocus of hope” will be my new phrase I think.

Keep going all and remember the crocus of hope!

Lauren x

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Thanks Wendleg. Just wanted to say sorry about your wedding plans Lauren. Hope Boris’s covid diary works out ok. Trying to refocus this week so looking forward to new fast 800 easy cookbook arriving tomorrow. Had piri Piri chicken and coleslaw tonight from other book, which was delicious and filling. Added sweet potato fries for rest of family. I’ll let you know if I find any new faves.
    Russianroulade I can completely relate to what you said and am doing the same. Like you said, the drinks unravel a lot of the good work of dry Jan. weight has yo yoed this month so back to no booze.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you working, the new Fast800 book is lovely – best book yet I think

• posted by wendleg
    on

I just saw this … from Dr Robert Cywes

” The difference between try and triumph is a little UMPH ”

I like that . Let’s give it some UMPH this week !!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great quote, Wendy … will hang on to that one! Think at this time of year, as we’re trying to shake off winter, we definitely need that bit of Umph!
    I like the ‘crocus of hope’ as well, Lauren …. have a few of those ‘in my garden’ too.

on

Lauren I’ve been looking and I see your problem with carbs now. Such a low count you are keeping. I notice the chicken wrapped in Parma is 0g. That with veg and cauliflower mash? I’m also following your lead with veg sausages and ‘Mash’ for lunch. Elaine I am also a huge fan of that chicken tikka – onions and cayenne make it really hit the spot. Glad the scales turned around for you. Feeling a lot more positive – must be that crocus of hope – knowing I will get result I want if I actually stick to the diet! Going for that umph Wendy. And yes, 17 weeks is plenty of time for a transformation, though I’m not sure I’ll be rushing to hug strangers. Even the list of rules, allowing for thousands at a concert, seems so alien now! Jenny (probably easier handle than workingfromthefridge)

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thanks Wendy and all the contributors. I’m in for another week….only I am properly on it now. The pesky little switch in my head has flipped and I am committed, motivated and excited for the first time since November. I’m not afraid of the scales anymore and feeling more like myself.
    I like the 17 weeks….. loads of time to be a totally different shaped ‘you’! Lets make it count! Though im not a big hugger either…some exceptions may be made!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks Wendy for the new thread, and for everyone else on here keeping us going.
    Our weigh-in today showed hubby has lost 0.8lb since Friday and I have stayed the same, which is a good result as the last few weekends I have gained, but then lost by the Friday weigh-in again.
    We are sort-of following a reverse 5:2 – 5 weekdays of around 800cals (I haven’t been tracking in MFP) and 2 weekend days of low carb but no tracking, and with a sneaky drink on Saturday night.
    I realised if we are going back into the office in summer, I will need new work trousers, my last year’s trousers are too big! Nice problem to have 🙂
    On some of the other threads, I saw mention of ratatouille – I made a HUGE batch last night, which we had with the leftover roast mutton. Breakfast this morning was ratatouille with poached egg, and the balance will be frozen in portions.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi All,
    Well done to everybody especially those happy with there results – and keep going to those that have had a tough week. I’ve lost 1.8kg since the last check in – I’m now below my 8 week target of 93kg after 7 weeks. I’m at 92kg or 14 and a half stone in old money, BMI 25.2. This is the lightest I’ve been since being a teenager – Hopefully can crack the ‘healthy’ BMI by the end of the week.
    I’ve managed to continue to get some variety in my meals, Hunger pangs and cravings have continued to subside, I’ve also stepped up the exercise – I been walking around 7k to 8k steps most days and have started doing a bit on he exercise bike too. All in all going really well. Last week of the 800 fast for me then onto 5:2 Low Carbs. Do people that have moved off fast 800 to 5:2 see much of a ounce in weight initially as calories increase, or is this managed by keeping the carbs low – Just wondering what to expect – If the 5 or 6 ib of water weight is going back on i’d just like to mentally prepare myself!
    For any newbies – I’ve found that if I have too many carbs or stray over the cals – not only does it impact my daily weigh in – It actually makes me hungrier – so its a double hit – So really try to stick to the Cals and lower carbs – you will make it so much easier for yourself. Also I picked out a treat that I would get for myself if I hit my target, something much more exciting than having a cheat day – That has helped me stay motivated – It has certainly helped me stay on track (My treat has been ordered now too) but it could be something as simple as a jacket or a top you’ve also wanted etc – Not everyone as materialistic as me but whatever works

Russ

• posted by WilLuck
    on

I’m in. Lost a load on this before, but steadily for back to over drinking, and eating way too many carbs. Lockdown ending is a really nice motivator as some of you have said, so working towards that.

Aiming to keep to 800 Cal’s and do a bike ride 5/7 days per week.
    I’m 6’2 100.5 kg ready to get down to 80s

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thanks Wendy for another week. Back on track and lost most of my weekend gain in just one day so it was probably mainly fluid retention. Like a few others I must be strong and stay off the booze over the weekend. Funny thing is though, we hardly drink now and still had loads left over that we bought for the Christmas period. Used to be Fri, Sat and Sun for a weekend treat now it might be just on the Saturday BUT still no good if I want to lose more weight. Not sure I am going to meet my Easter target but not going anywhere now. We are resigned to leaving any visits until either end of May or early to mid June. Still open ended. Not sure we should have cancelled our end of June cruise but seriously, if we can get away we want it to be around family and friends. Maybe a 3 week trip to England, visit family and friends in Scotland and spend a couple of weeks with daughter and grandchildren. Still dreaming.

My friend is out of hospital now and had a very emotional reunion with her man and her mum. Sent lots of love. Jab on Thursday, I keep mentioning it because last time we had one booked it was cancelled a couple of days before. Fingers crossed.

Dont know if you have noticed and this is completely off subject, but the perfume ad with Charlize Theron says ‘chin up’. We thought it was my hearing being selective as that is a very Yorkshire phrase. Feeling down, dont worry, keep your chin up. Did a google on it and she does say ‘chin up’ as part of a campaign for women and strength. So here we go everyone CHIN UP.

• posted by PaulaZ
    on

Hello everyone! I came here to post that I started the diet yesterday and I’m after a bit of peer support, when I found this thread.
    A little bit about me…
    I first did the BSD in 2017 and it really changed my life. I lost 16kg in four months and it completely changed my relationship with food. Since my teenage years I had struggled with eating disorders and once I got over that my weight was always fluctuating massively. I love sports and did lots of that but no matter what I was always overweight, tired, hungry, and worried about eating too much.
    BSD meant for the first time in my life I wasn’t obsessed with food as I wasn’t hungry anymore, I slept better, and it also got rid of terrible PMS which up until then I hadn’t even noticed I had – I just thought that was how normal life was!
    Anyway, I’ve found it pretty easy to keep the weight down ever since without making much of an effort. I eat low carb Mon-Fri and weekends I eat whatever I want. However since starting a new job last year where I get free food and snacks (bread, chocolate bars, biscuits….), not having enough time to exercise anymore, and then lockdown, I have put on 5kg!
    Yesterday I decided that enough is enough and so decided to give this a go. And I’m not gonna lie – I’m starving!!! This time round I somehow find it also harder to be motivated, so here I am for some buddying up. Good luck everyone!

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi PaulaZ welcome back!

I have to tell you all about my dinner last night because it was so delicious!

We had giant beef meatballs (we bought ours but could easily make your own from beef mince) and I had shaved courgette (couldn’t be bothered to dig out my spiraliser) with a tiny bit of tomato sauce. Sounds simple you say? Well I agree it was but the clincher was tossing the courgette in some pesto, a) because I had the calories spare and b) cos I was trying to disguise the courgette! It was SO NICE!! I don’t think I’d even need the tomato sauce next time.

So I used (for one portion)
    3 x giant meatballs (175 cal from a shop bought pack)
    80ml passata
    10ml olive oil
    1 x garlic clove
    30g onion
    Teaspoon dried oregano
    100g courgette
    20g reduced fat pesto (using up what I have in the house)
    1 x babybel cut into thin slices (it’s worth the effort!)

1. Bake the meatballs in the oven for 20-25 mins
    2. While cooking make the tomato sauce – chop garlic and onion, sweat off in the oil and add the passata and oregano and salt and pepper, reduce down to preferred thickness (I like it quite thick)
    3. Chop the babybel and use a peeler to shave ribbons of courgette (unless you can be bothered to spiralise it)
    4. When meatballs nearly done, put courgette in a bowl, cover with cling film and microwave for no more than 1 minute (this steams it)
    5. Drain excess fluid from courgette and toss the courgette in the pesto
    6. put meatballs on top and top with your sauce and babybel

SO NICE

450 cals and fairly carby at 16g total but I had a very light lunch and you could probably reduce that by omitting the tomato sauce or making your own meatballs and not using any binder apart from egg

Tonight in between rearranging wedding vendors again (could make a profession out of this!) we have chicken wrapped in Serrano ham and stuffed with some garlic and herb Philadelphia and I’m going to have some broccoli and green beans with almonds with it. Chicken salad for lunch so total carbs only 15g for the day

Hope you’re all having a nice day

L x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks florob85, you have just convinced me what we’re having for supper tonight! Homemade chicken meatballs in a tomato sauce with courgettini – we haven’t had that in ages and I think it’ll go down well tonight, thank you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

RedRooster, great progress and I gave no doubt you’ll slip into that healthy BMI bracket soon.
    Ruby, great news about the trousers!
    Lauren, the meatballs sound good … I’m a huge pesto fan.
    Kiltgirl, I reckon you’ll be more butterfly than you fear, plenty of time to make a difference. Keep on keeping on.
    WilLuck, keep us posted on progress, I’m sure you’ll make the remainder of lockdown count.
    SG, everything crossed for your 3wk UK visit.
    Paula, welcome back. Good idea to nip things in the bud now, before anymore weight creeps back. You have probably been eating a more carb heavy menu than you thought, hence the hunger. This will die down after a few days though. I recognise the difficulty mustering motivation on a revisit to the 800 regime. It’s one I’ve tackled a few times, when the pounds have crept up and there’s been a need to reign things in again. Stick with it, it will get easier again and those 5kg will soon be history.

Had a good BSD day yesterday, going okay today too so far. Stay focused everyone!

on

Thanks for meatball recipe. Just got fast 800 book today and very excited by loads of soup recipes and also seafood recipes. Always thought mussel dish was an obvious omission so keen to try Thai mussels soon. Also like the look of haddock brunch pots and the various frittatas. All much more exciting than the bolognese and courgetti I had for dinner tonight! I like the idea also in some recipes of mixing a little wholewheat spaghetti with courgetti. Much more oomph!

• posted by florob85
    on

The book is great isn’t it workingfromthefridge, I found lots of nice recipes!

Re the courgetti, honestly I really don’t like courgetti or courgette in general but do you know the addition of the pesto made all the difference – I can’t pretend it tasted or felt like pasta, which I still miss, but it made it so much more tasty and less bland, and worked well with the tomato sauce as well so it was a really flavoursome meal! Worth a shot!

on

Top tip thanks! Have made the cardomam chicken for lunch and going for lemon chilli prawns for dinner. Yes it has really boosted my enthusiasm for cooking again Lauren- also like the looks of puy lentils and sausages and the prawn and egg curry. yum!

• posted by ScottM
    on

Good morning folks! Apologies for my absence for the last couple of weeks, the pressures at work (I’m NHS) have increased a lot in the last few weeks and I’ve barely had time to catch my breath!
    I’ve reached the end of Week 5/start of Week 6 on this new way of eating, started a spreadsheet to help me track weight loss and my blood sugars (I’m T2 Diabetic).
    I’m currrently 1st 12lbs lighter than I was at the start, 3 inches less fat around my waist, I’ve had to tighten my watch strap and my blood pressure and heart rate are back in the normal range. And accoring to my terrible maths, I’m also down 10% of my body weight from my highest.
    My blood sugars have been generally good (Average of 4.8 for the first 4 weeks, creeping up a bit to 5.4-5.6 at the moment but the weight loss is slowing as expected and stress is increasing so that’s likely why but frustrating when I’m on 3 metformin a day (well when I remember – usually 2 anyway!) I also have to admit I’ve struggled to keep up with the exercise for the last 10 days from a combination of terrible Scottish weather and barely having enough time to get away from the desk between meetings.

I’m also getting my first Covid vaccine tomorrow so that’s a positive and my Diabetes Retinopathy screening was all clear.
    My focus this week is to get back on the exercise (I’ll just have to brave the rain!) and make sure I’m being a bit stricter following the food plan in the BSD recipie book – been making the odd substitution as I haven’t been able to get a hold of some ingredients lately and I’m really not a fan of prawns sadly!
    I thank you all for your inspiring posts that you put up here, its always good to know we’re not alone!
    Wishing you all a happy and healthy week!

• posted by florob85
    on

Morning all!

I’ve rescued two garden chairs today from the tip, I’m chuffed, going to upcycle them!

I’ve made sunshine girls chicken and bacon quiche thing today, although I’ve subbed Serrano ham for the bacon as I’m not that keen on bacon, and I had to use Greek yoghurt instead of cottage cheese because apparently getting cottage cheese of any description at the moment is impossible in Suffolk! I like it, but I have a question – is it just me that finds the chicken and egg combination a bit……weird? I don’t know I mean it tastes nice it just feels a bit strange?! Probably just me, I’m weird with eggs in general 😂

Anyway tallyho and TTFN and all that

L x

on

Hi all, lovely sunny day here, think I might need those garden chairs Lauren. Dont remember a chicken and bacon quiche – where did you find it. I do make a quiche lined with serrano type ham but not added protein as there is enough with the bacon so it is basically then just a mix of softened veg (peppers, mushrooms etc) and an egg mix. Whatever, as long as you enjoyed it.

I have another recipe, this time from the book, The 8 Week BSD Recipe Book, Pancetta, broccoli and tomato gratin (340 cals and 10g carb). Page 151. For those who dont have the book it is:
    This serves 4 so we make half for us 2
    1 head each broccoli and cauliflower (doesnt say what size but we judge by eye how much we would eat)
    100g pancetta
    100g soft cheese
    1 tsp mustard
    Drizzle of oil for cooking pancetta
    100g sour cream (I use creme fraiche)
    2 spring onions, chopped
    half tsp cayenne pepper
    2 large tomatoes sliced
    3 tbsp parmesan, grated
    3 tbsp mixed seeds (I prefer pumpkin)
    Steam the broccoli and cauli for a few minutes (dont want it too soft) and place in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Dry fry the pancetta. Mix the soft cheese with the mustard, sour cream and spring onions and cayenne. Spread cheesy mix over cauli and brocc. Layer with tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan and seeds. Bake for 20 mins until top is golden brown.
    It is really delicious and a bit different. I can safe around 60 cals by not adding the parmesan as there is plenty of cheesy sauce and also nut use the oil to cook the pancetta as it cooks out in its own fat. So only about 280/290 cals.
    Hope I dont get into copyright trouble for showing the recipe but it is all the same site and author.

Kiltgirl, a little secret, it is called a pen and paper. Yes, I am so old fashioned. I just make a quick note as I read through then it is right in from of me to refer to.
    Scott, great to see you back and see you are still with us. Your bloods will waiver up and down a bit and you might find your actual HbA1c is slightly higher than your daily finger pricks. Sorry, cant remember what your starting numbers were but I am sure your new ones will be a great improvement. Great news about the diabetic retinopathy test. Things are always better on this plan. Get your backside back into gear with the exercise and you will feel on top of the world. Great news too with the jab, you should be posting on the Positives page as you have so many going on right now. We (me and him) get our jabs tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Have a good rest of the week everyone. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh I was sure it was you I’d read the recipe from in a post from years ago – maybe I imagined the chicken!

on

Lauren, if it was from years ago it might very well be me but maybe giving a recipe before I had adjusted it for my taste as I have with the Broccoli and Pancette one. As long as you enjoyed it and it was within our limits. 🙂

on

Lauren, look what I have found 2016 post
    Think it serves 4
    Chicken and bacon quiche – 4 lean rashers of bacon, 6 oz of chicken breast or meat from thighs, 8 oz cottage cheese, 4 eggs , Chop and cook chicken and bacon, mix into cottage cheese, whisk the eggs and add to meat, chicken, cheese mix, mix thoroughly. Pour into a baking dish and place in oven at 200C for 20 mins or until set and you have a quiche without the pastry base. Feeds 4 or can be frozen is slices for another meal or snack. Comes to 200 cal and 2 carbs per quarter quiche. Found this on Facebook but cannot acknowledge where from as the site just says free recipes. Just as good cold or cut a portion in half for a snack.

It sound lovely, might give it another go. Wendleg (Wendy) which cottage cheese is nearly the same as the English brand, as I hate most of them.

• posted by florob85
    on

That’s the badger sunshinegirl! Although my recipe does not really resemble that at all but it was the same basic principles 😂 – certainly inspired by that recipe anyway, but as I said I used ham instead of bacon (and used it as the “pastry” like you suggest) and Greek yoghurt instead of cottage cheese, and added an onion and a smidge of strong cheddar

on

Not hear that before Lauren, thats the badger!!!! When I said I hated cottage cheese I meant I hate the French version as it is very watery. Yes, we all tweak things as we get to know what we like and what works. Will try it with the cream cheese I used in the Pancetta dish and thin it down with some creme fraiche.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    SG I’m going to try that recipe, it sounds good ! I have been scratching my head thinking about what would ressemble that cottage cheese you mentioned . I can only think of fromage faisselle. … but it’s not that .

Good to see you Scott M, and you have had great results . I am sure the exercise will pick up once the weather is consistently warmer . It really lifts the spirits . I have been doing a bit of Spring cleaning today and hubby is pottering about outside .

I am looking forward to a gentle Pilates session for seniors later on this afternoon !

Just realised I didn’t send the message !!!

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Yowzer and Cathy. I read in an earlier thread you were discussing osteopaenia. I have osteopaenia, for several years now and it was slowly getting worse. One step away from osteoporosis. My GP put me calcium tablets some time back. I hated the constipation. I was taking a laxative every day. I’ve never liked milk. I have cheese and yoghurt but not great amounts . My endocrinologist, I see him for my thyroid, took me off all my tablets/supplements apat from Vit D. I have, however, managed to halt the progress of the osteopaenia by taking up weight training. I really does work!!!

on

Weight training sounds brilliant Riccoh. And great results Scott m. Hope the nhs is giving you a little time to catch your breath! Just wanted to say thanks for the recipes. Exciting day as finally reached the next 10kg mark after weeks of hovering just above it. Enjoyed the spring sunshine on long dog walk and going curry crazy from new book. Prawn and egg curry for dinner. It was delicious and very quick. I’ve been looking at that broccoli recipe sunshine girl so will have a go now you’ve recommended it. I like your tweaks. All makes a difference. And good luck with jab!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Ricoh

Thank you for your response. I requested a DEXA scan from my GP as two dentists remarked on significant bone loss in my jaw. I was asked to make an appointment to discuss the result which has come back showing osteoporosis with a considerably high T score. I am 58 and my GP has asked me to attend for blood tests to rule out any organic causes for this rather unexpected diagnosis. I am shocked as to why I have developed osteoporosis so young but until my blood tests are back I will have to wait and see if they come up with anything to account for my diagnosis. I was expecting osteopaenia but not osteoporosis. Thank you for your advice. I will be looking at all options going forward.

on

Hi all, slip up today as I was in a hurry going from shopping to hospital and had to choose a chicken baguette for a quick grabbed lunch. Not something I would normally do but couldnt end up fainting while having my jab. Which I have now had. Next one at the end of March. I asked about a vaccine passport and was told we get full documentation stating batch number, date, my details etc. and when we have had the 2nd we get a certificate.

Wendleg, yes it is faiselle but if you have ever tried that you know it is nothing like the English cottage cheese. I like the idea of using cream cheese instead. No idea what we are having tonight as it has been a busy day – dont know how I ever managed to go to work.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Glad you’ve had your jab SG, one step closer to freedom hopefully. We are only priority group 8 and 9 in the UK (but at least we have a priority number) so are hoping to have our first by mid-April.
    We’ve had a slightly less chaotic week this week and it has shown on the scales.
    Hubby is down to 18st 1.2 lb and I am down to 12st 2.0lb, so on target for the next stone down by Easter.
    We had Asian-style chicken broth for lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday, but the weather has improved here this week, so yesterday we had soft-boiled eggs with lemon achar (thank you MerryMelba, it is amazing!) and some pickled garlic and olives for lunch, and a chicken, chorizo and peppers stir-fried for supper – very tasty.
    Friday breakfast is a treat of a cheese omelette, since we started BSD.
    Re. the clothes I ordered, mine fit OK, 2 sizes down from where I started, and the one pair of jeans is a Sculpt and Shape pair which actually fit very well and feel really nice, so I may see if they do other colours in the same range.
    His clothes – ordered a size 40 waist (he started as a snug 44), they will be returned today and I’ll be ordering 38s – it’s been at least 10 years since he was a 38!
    Unfortunately this is now costing us money, as the options for shopping from the loft have almost been exhausted.
    He is feeling really motivated to maintain the momentum, which is good, and long may it last. I think the key is that we are eating well, but differently, and it doesn’t feel like a hardship most days.
    Have a good weekend everyone (this is where I need to be on my guard, but I have a busy weekend planned so boredom shouldn’t be a problem).

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all, well done RubyG and sunshinegirl (for the vaccination)

I’ve well and truly lost my mojo and enthusiasm this week, I’ve stuck on plan rigidly but it all feels quite tedious and like hard work this week and I’ve got to say I’m not enjoying it, but I’m sure it’ll improve as I keep persevering.

I had a question I wondered if someone can explain to me – I’m a biochemist by trade and a registered healthcare professional, and I teach anatomy and physiology so I should understand this but I don’t!

So my question is to do with sweeteners – and I’m talking Diet Coke occasionally not loading my food with them.
    So I completely get that with excess glucose from carbs we release more insulin, which forces more glucose into cells, then we develop insulin resistance. Then the liver stores the glucose first as glycogen and then converts it to fat which is stored in the liver then pancreas and other organs. Get that, makes sense. BUT I read time and time again that when you have artificial sweeteners it causes an insulin spike because your body is expecting sugar – I understand that but my question is if you aren’t actually eating any sugar, and haven’t been, so your glycogen stores are depleted and the cells are starting to empty their glucose stores, why does it matter if there is an insulin spike? Am I missing something obvious? I know insulin begets more resistance etc. but if you’re not actually forcing more glucose into your cells, and you aren’t replacing fat with new lipids from DNL is an occasional insulin spike a truly awful thing??

I also wondered if anyone knows how long it takes for the carb craving bacteria in our biome to do one and die! I’ve been ultra low carb <20g and keeping protein below 68g (which is 0.8g per kg target weight) for a week now and I’m a) still ravenous, b) still feeling the carb withdrawal effects and c) craving all the sweet things like you wouldn’t believe!!

L x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone and as always well done for persevering despite the challenges . Clarinet Cathy your diagnosis must have been a shock and I hope your blood results give you more information. Your doctor is looking after you . Stay strong and positive . You have been through some tough times recently . We are all thinking of you xx

Lauren I am never very good at explaining the science. JGwen will no doubt give you more clarification about insulin spikes and sweeteners . I will keep things simple and how it relates to my experience . I was a real sugar addict . I am also a bit all or nothing so I did not allow any fake foods, sweeteners , nothing processed in fact right from the beginning . I didn’t really think about the insulin response in the early days as I was still reading and researching. I just knew I had to break the addiction . I do believe that Diet coke and other drinks with artificial sweeteners just keep the sugar monsters alive and kicking. Ideally your taste buds will change in time and the cravings will ease . A week of ultra low carb is maybe not long enough for the cravings to cease but they will in time . Try your very hardest to not give in . I know it’s not easy when you have challenges and disappointments and the comfort of sugar looms large but believe me you will feel better the longer you resist . You will reach a point where you won’t be seeking out the sweet stuff which is ultimately much more harmful than healthy fats as you probably know .

I got into the mind set where I did not want to be controlled by food and sugar in particular and if you start thinking that sugar is not a friend it might help with creating an aversion ? A bit like smokers need to see cigarettes as monsters according to Allen Carr ??

I don’t know if that helps a bit ? Just keep going and think of your fabulous wedding Lauren !

Well done SG on getting your vaccine ! No mean feat in France with the shortages and flagging infrastructure . That must feel very good and one giant leap in making your travel plans more possible .

A number of people haven’t checked in lately which is always worrying . I hope if you are reading this that you feel you can come back . We are always here to support and if you are struggling, we’ve been there too xx

on

Hi all, just done a post and somehow lost it. I dont think I pressed the submit button before I went onto something else. Anyway, this is what I was saying. Florob, watch a YouTube video by Dr Paul Mason called Low Carb From A Doctors Perspective. It is around 30 mins long but if you dont want to watch it all, whiz along to 12 minutes and he starts talking about carbs turning to sugars etc and the science of how it works then talks about the effect of sweeteners and explains the physiological effect it has on our insulin etc. So not only do sweeteners create a psychological effect of making us want more sugar, it also has a real effect on how our bodies respond and the insulin, glycogen effects. He is well worth watching and runs a low carb medical campaign in Australia, much like our Dr M in the UK.

No ill effects from the jab, no headache or sore arm and didnt even feel the needle go in. Told to take it easy today so have missed my exercise routine but will add in an extra one tomorrow.

Weekend is almost upon us and and must be strong and lock the wine cellar. Have a good one everyone.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks SG for the link, I’ll have a look, it’s just something that makes me curious really as it just doesn’t seem to make scientific sense with what I know about physiology but never too old to learn something new!

Thanks also Wendy, I haven’t cracked yet but it’s taking all my willpower! I’ve always had a very sweet tooth and even when I’ve gone low carb or even just low sweet things for months before my tastes haven’t changed but I guess I need to be a bit more patient!

Just attempted to go for a walk, I aim for 7000 steps a day, but I’ve been feeling off colour all week and only managed 5000 before I felt really weak and wobbly and had to give up. My partner and I went for a much longer than anticipated walk last Saturday which completely wiped me out – I suffer from ME/CFS so I get post exertional malaise and I’ve been pushing through all week but I think my body has just said no now, was going to do some painting this afternoon but I think I need to listen to my body and rest!!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi florob85,
    One of the ways that sweetners raise insulin levels is because our bodies are hard wired to raise insulin levels when we taste anything that is sweet. – How it was explained in an article I read was ……. our normal blood sugar level calculates to the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in the 4.5 litres of blood. If you are diagnosed as being diabetic, with blood sugar levels so high its damaging the tissues, then that’s at the level of the equivalent of 2.75 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in the 4.5 litres of blood. That explains why our bodies are so sensitive to sugar levels that the body starts to prepare to get sugar out of the blood stream as soon as it thinks sugar has been eaten. –

——————

I think how long it takes to kill off the carb monsters depends on how carb high your diet was and for how long. – It was much longer than the first 8 weeks of this way of eating before I moved on to walking down some isles of supermarket without looking down at my feet to avoid the desire raised by looking at the contents of the shelves. One trick I do know is to increase your coconut intake. – Its good for helping to rebalance the ph of the gut which helps to kill off some of the carb monsters.

There was a longer period where I felt that if I had something high in carbs it would make me feel better when I felt tired and each time I was surprised that I didn’t get the rush, and now I have moved on to being puzzled by my nope doesn’t appeal feeling when I look at some of my old fall backs, as well as surprisingly always feeling full.

I have to confess that I spent a long time picking food which was quick to make and fell within the carb / calory limits. But the last few months I have more often eaten a high vegetable / high fibre diet and that seems to have been a bit of a game changer for me on my lack of hunger, and lack of desire for carbs. – Lots of veg curries, stir fried veg, type meals. instead of scrambling a couple of eggs in a bowl in the microwave and eating it out of the bowl seems to have made the difference.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Well done to everyone making and seeing positive changes and hugs to everyone having a hard time….My week has been ok, I have managed to somewhat put to the back of my mind my health worries about the test next week etc, and my children and their schoolwork/ issues have kept me mega-busy this week. V glad it is Friday….I can’t believe I have had another small Biscoff snaccident earlier- turns out I can’t spread some on a bicuit for my son and not eat some myself….well, I guess that isn’t all that surprising really….anyhow, here’s hoping for a lovely weekend- I think the weather in the uk is looking good 😁

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks JGwen for the explanation, I guess I’ll have to try and be more patient with the carb cravings – sigh – but I guess you’re right, I’m not going to undo a lifetime of eating in 8 weeks! Reassuring to know that not everyone experiences this magical switch of tastebuds quickly!

Tulip, ohhhhh biscoff spread on a biscuit!! Double biscuit, you’re killing me!

on

Hi sunshine girl I made your cauliflower and broccoli dish tonight and added jalapeños which was a hit with my son (and me!)It was very tasty! Like you I’m tweaking recipes. New book has delicious recipe for puy lentils and sausages but seemed strange sausages would be fried with 2tbspn oil! Cut it to one, seared sausages (6) then put them in oven to finish and also put in one pepper stuffed with other half of pack of puy. Recipe for two called for four sausages so extra two and pepper and lentils will be extra meal.

• posted by florob85
    on

Morning all!

Well I achieved the somewhat incredible feat of injuring (I suspect breaking) my toe last night while I was sitting down! So that might put stop to walking for a few days, most annoying. I’ve got to work this morning for an open day so I’m sitting at my desk with ice on my foot and no sympathy from my partner at all!

This morning also marks the historic landmark of successfully rearranging my wedding for the fourth time now. I don’t care if I have to literally drag everybody by their heels, we are not cancelling again!! We have a beautiful venue for next April but frankly I’d get married in a car park now!

I’ve decided I’m going to take a fresh approach this week, I’ve planned out all my meals/days, all are under 20g carbs and 69g protein and all under 800 cal, I’m not going to weigh at all this week as I’m getting a bit obsessive I think and it’s not helpful!

Hope those of you in the UK get to enjoy our sunshine and those elsewhere have a nice weekend too

Onwards

L x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren, how did you manage that?!!

Also I have been wondering why you are aiming to keep your protein below 69g? xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

I was kneeling down and stood and my toe was bent under my foot and put my entire weight on it! What can I say it’s a talent!

69 is going by the 0.8g per kg target weight that I’ve seen mentioned on here before 😊

• posted by Tulip1
    on

oops!

Still a little confused…..as in 0.8 per your body weight?

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Tulip, yep there is a target somewhere of 0.6g to 0.8g protein per day per kg of target or ideal body weight – the idea is we’re not supposed to go mad on protein because excess can be converted to glucose but it’s also quite tricky making up calories on such low counts so I might have to up it a little! My target body weight is 12st 7lbs and I can’t remember what that converted to in kg but it worked out as 0.8g per kg being 69g. I’m sure I read somewhere the other day that females should aim for 55g protein a day and males something like 65g unless a bodybuilder or something!

Please log in or register to post a reply.