Nurse appointment reality check – motivation!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Onmyway
    on

Hello,

I’d like to share my experience of a diabetic check up with my nurse this morning. I’m very much hoping to see this as motivation and encouragement that I’m heading in the right direction.

The good news

My cholesterol is normal. This time last year it was pretty much ‘off the scale’ – I was prescribed statins and made a conscious effort to eat more healthily. (This didn’t last and here I am!)

The scales showed I really have lost 15lbs in 3 weeks thanks to the BSD. I’m now in the ‘overweight’ range as opposed to ‘obese’ according to the NHS.

Everything except my blood sugar was good according to blood test results.

The not so good news

My blood sugar was at 12 according to the tests taken 2 weeks ago, maybe 20 minutes after I ate a banana.

For the first time in my life I was told my blood pressure was a little high.

Despite losing the 15lbs so recently, I weighed exactly one kg more than I did this time last year!

The encouraging result

This blood test was done one week in after starting the BSD. I considered the nurse’s reaction a little dismissive and pessimistic at my earlier appointment.

But today she was different.

When she said she wanted to try me on different, additional medication, ( I’m on 4 lots of 500mg metformin each day) I said that I was following the BSD and what this meant and she really listened. She has said I’m to go back in 2 weeks to check my BP again and to be weighed. She said she can request another blood test in 3 months to see how much difference my BSD diet experience is making.

Thanks to advice on this forum about really ‘drilling down’ on my carbs I’m feeling determined and positive about continuing.

Thanks for reading, I feel like posting this makes me a little more accountable. Lowering my blood pressure is urgent for me. The last 3 weeks has rid me of a ‘brain fog’ and lethargy and I’m confident of making a real difference xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi onmyway, a little bit of advice for cholesterol and blood glucose blood test, fast for 12 hours prior to testing and get the test done early morning.

• posted by Onmyway
    on

thank you.:)

This last one came as a surprise – I was only supposed to be there to get a B12 injection. I wouldn’t have eaten had I known it was coming 🙁 I was expecting forms to go to the hospital with but the nurse said she would do it straight away.)

I’ve been thinking more about my experience this morning and have decided to view it as that I’m very lucky to have this ‘baseline’ set of results to move on from x

Please log in or register to post a reply.