Not losing weight, help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WeeScot
    on

I started the 800 BSD as I am prediabetic and also need to lose weight around 2 stone. Been on it a week and in the first couple of days lost a pound but haven’t lost anything since. I have stuck to the diet, no cheating honestly. Drinking lots, water and herbal tea, walking. I am 68 so really need to turn things around. HELP!!!!!!!

• posted by susie901
    on

I too have a similar problem I am sticking to it making lots of lovely meals from the cook book but in 3 weeks I have only lost 2bs any advice would be great

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What is your daily carb limit? Most people hover around 50 grams a day, but if you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic or have other blood sugar issues, you might need to drop that figure to start seeing results. I’m insulin resistant so my daily limit is 20 grams, which I almost never reach.

I use My Fitness Pal to look up the nutritional values of every morsel of food that enters my mouth. No exceptions. I weigh and log everything. If you’re following the recipes in the book without doing your own calculations, you might be eating higher carb and more calories than you realize.

• posted by susie901
    on

I’m not diabetic or prediabetic I am 57 and have fibromyalgia. I kept my carbs below 50gms per day so am struggling with this

• posted by pod
    on

Hi Susie901 I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I do know how you feel, and Weescot. I’ve been on the BSD for 9 weeks and lost 26Lbs in the first 8 weeks. It hasn’t been that easy though. I’ve done lots of reading from all different resources and decided what I thought would be best for me.
    As I , and probably you, find it quite challenging to exercise so I’ve done very little, and increased it extremely slowly so I don’t wear myself out! I limited my carbs to under 30g a day. To make this work you really need to weigh absolutely everything you put in your mouth!!
    The cook book is really great for ideas, but you still need to weigh everything, as the calorie count is a little vague versus portion size. I use my fitnesspal, the free version, to record everything. It’s surprising how a few extra grams here and there can add up!
    Anyway hope I’ve been of some help, but there’s lots of people on the forums who are much more knowledgeable than me, I can only say what’s working for me. (Although I have terrible constipation at the moment so it’s not all rosy for me, but that’s another story!)
    Just put whatever you want to know in the search box and loadsa posts come up. Somebody’s posted something about nearly everything!,
    Lots of love and good wishes for your journeys!!

• posted by WeeScot
    on

Thanks folks I will use the app to see if that helps in monitoring although the recipe book and recipes in Michael Mosley’s book are my bible at the moment. To be honest I had hoped that such a drastic change in diet would have seen the weight dropping off so it is all rather depressing. Ah well week 2 here I come maybe it will change

• posted by susie901
    on

Thank you that’s been a great help

• posted by pod
    on

Susie901, that article was fascinating! I didn’t know what the “whoosh” effect was. Makes interesting reading.
    Unbelievably yesterday I did notice “squishy” fat around my body. I did panic because I thought it would mean that I would end up with lots of flabby skin! I’m soooo pleased know, it means I am losing fat! Yippee!

• posted by Cara54
    on

I started this diet at the beginning of October 2016 weighing 13st 3lbs, (84kg). I’m now 12st 4lbs. (78kg) I’ve been careful with my sugar intake from the start although I’ve had a few lapses. The weight has come off very slowly. Only in the last few weeks have I truly understood that I can’t afford these lapses. I’ve lost and gained the same couple of lbs many times. I’m also increasing the time between meals. At the moment it’s 18 – 20hrs but it takes time to used to doing that.

The point is it can take a while to figure out what works for you and go with that. I have found videos by Dr Jason Fung to be very helpful. There are loads on youtube. I hope this helps a bit.

• posted by WeeScot
    on

Thank you all again and Cara54 at least it is coming off albeit it so slowly, I am not a very patient person! I read the whoosh effect very interesting have been squidging my rather large tummy, one of the problems with being on my way to diabetes is a lot of the weight has lodged there. I really did want to lose the weight and have lowered my blood sugar readings by the beginning of June when I have a hospital appointment as I don’t want to go on meds. I will experiment, I can’t go for long periods without food and have found I get even more tired if I don’t eat regularly. This is not as easy as I thought, the food is extremely tasty at least that helps.

• posted by Cara54
    on

WeeScot I’m sure you’ll have it figured it out and made some progress by the start of June. Just watch your carbs and keep coming back to the forums if you get stuck or just want some encouragement. Good luck.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi WeeScot
    You say you can’t go for long periods without food. Why do you say that?

It could be that you are still a sugar burner and have not yet gone into ketosis where you are burning fat for your energy instead. This could also explain your slow weight loss.

How much fat and protein are you eating? Have you calculated how many grams of protein and fat you are consuming within your 800 calories?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by WeeScot
    on

I feel light headed if I miss a meal. I am following the BSD recipes religiously so I would have hoped that would have made a difference and they are well thought out for protein and fat. If I was skinny I would understand but for my height etc I am actually 3stone overweight. It is all a bit disheartening

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi WeeScot
    The calorie counts have been found by all of us to incorrect, best to count the individual ingredients yourself in your app of choice to be sure.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi WeeScot. If you are dizzy it could be due to dehydration. Make sure you are drinking plenty. At least 2-3litres per day. It could also be due to low blood pressure. If you are on medication for that you should speak to your doctor. It does take a bit of getting used to. Try having your meal 15 or 20 minutes later than normal and build on that. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you want results this diet is your best chance.

• posted by WeeScot
    on

That is rather disconcerting that the book’s calorie count is incorrect. cara54 I will try your advice of being a little later each day where possible, I think especially the evening meal is probably the best one so I don’t feel hungry later in the evening. You are all stars offering so much advice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by pod
    on

Weescot, Just a little post to say “hang on in there” it happens in the end.
    The scales, MyFitnessPal and this forum with all the lovely people are all my new best friends xx

• posted by WeeScot
    on

Well two weeks on the BSD and I have only lost 3lbs, won’t know blood sugar levels till my next blood test which is a few months away but all in all wonder if I am wasting my time. It all very discouraging having made such a drastic change and cut calories and carbs to such a huge extent that there is no significant weight loss.

• posted by Shebri
    on

Hi SueBlue, thank you so much for sharing this article. It really makes sense. I have been on the diet 2 week now. Lost 3kg in 1st week and have put 600gm on since. I was so deflated this morning until I read this article. Makes me feel so much better now. Thanks heaps!๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.