NOT losing :-< *Looking 4 female 2 female advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Doordie
    on

Hi – I am a reasonably active 49 year old female with PCOS, and uterine fibroids. ( IOW : I have uncontrolled bleeding – a period that never stops. ) * I somehow managed to lose right at 100 lbs on ultra-low carb. However, about 6/8 months ago, I quit losing. Seriously. NOTHING. I’ve been on BSD now, for almost 3 weeks. STILL nothing. Honest. Today, the bleeding is particularly bad, and I hauled my fat arse onto the scale, only to discover that I have actually gained a pound :-< I am absolutely desperate to drop the weight. I do not drink, or smoke. I keep my carbs fairly low, and only eat fruit once a day at breakfast. Dinner is a lean protein only. I also avoid diet pop like the plague. I drink a ton of water, green tea, and some coffee. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here is an example of what I eat, as a rule…

Breakie : fruit smoothie >>> 180/210 C & 25/26 g of P ( or )
    1C of ff Oikos plain yogurt & a piece of LC fruit >>> 120 C + fruit = aprox 200 – 220 C & 22/23 g of P

Lunch : spinach egg-beater omelette >>> 215 C & 29 g of P ( or )
    garden salad W/ lemon juice & 3 oz of turkey breast >>> 190 C & 22 g of P

Supper : Grilled turkey patty, grilled fish fillet, or 3 oz of venison >>> roughly 200/275 C & 22/28 g of P

Snacks : The only snacks I eat other than bouillon, tea, or coffee is a small can of tomato juice, with a few cucumber slices. ( Coffee and tea are taken plain. )

*** I have a food scale, so I weigh, and measure everything. Also, I was keeping a food diary, but it was a huge hassle, and didn’t really reveal any Earth-shaking epiphanies.

YES, I KNOW THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAINTAIN WEIGHT ON THIS LITTLE FOOD, LET ALONE GAIN – BUT I DID – SOMEHOW.

I would really, REALLY like to hear from any other ladies on here with hormone issues! Please be brave, and speak up <3
    ( LOL, I just told the world that I have a period that won’t quit, and an arse that’s expanding like a family of Catholic rabbits :-O)

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Doordie

sounds awful – I had similarish problems a few years ago, and not consistent bleeding, but regularly used to lose about a litre of blood every couple of weeks.

When did you last see your GP and get your bloods checked?
    When I had problems I was severely anaemic in addition to everything else – and one set of medication would cause other side effects and it seemed a never ending cycle – but resolving the anaemia was a start in coping with other stuff, including battling to get the gynae stuff treated appropriately.
    Standard advice with many diets is to discuss with your GP – including BSD. I know many people don’t, and when I mentioned it to mine, I simply got a cheery “good luck” – but it would be advisable to get advice with all the other medical issues that you’re having to cope with.
    Have you discussed a mirena coil to control the bleeding with your GP? (a side effect can be gaining weight, but it would make sense to get that sorted first, then address the weight)
    Additionally, I was reading on this forum the other day about the low carb increasing oestrogen & therefore heavier periods. I think it was on a thread titled “Just Ladies” – have a look thru that; maybe helpful, or use the search box (top right hand corner) to pick up any previous threads and conversations re PCOS.

• posted by Doordie
    on

I go to the doctor this Thursday. I’ve had enough; I just can’t take it anymore.
    FREAKOUT/GROSSOUT WARNING : On the bad days, I am “double-tamponing”, ( yes, “Ultras” ), and bleeding through, in only hour/hour 1/2, or so. It’s bad, and gotten much worse in the last few months. I am taking iron supplements – just the ones from the corner chemist, though. So…

*I have never heard of a “mirena coil”!
    Thank you, Frog <3

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi, do ask your GP about mirena coil – stopped bleeding altogether for me (until v recently, hence my interest on the impact of Low carb on oestrogen & bleeding).

Also – look at mooncups. Brilliant – even if flow is so heavy that you have to use pads as well some of the time.
    The added advantage for me was that I could give GP, gynae consultants (and A&E staff) accurate-ish reports of how much blood I had lost each day as opposed to “heavy period” – I think it was that finally got them to start taking the problem seriously. And moved from a ward to a hospital room with an ensuite bathroom ๐Ÿ™‚
    http://www.mooncup.co.uk/ you can buy online or chemists and healthfood stores – there is a find a stockist feature on the website, as well as nurse advisors and an FAQ section.
    I think I also came across a user forum when I was unwell.

If you haven’t already, take a look at NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidelines on menorrhagia – I found that very helpful in getting the right treatment too.
    https://www.guidelines.co.uk/nice/menorrhagia
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg44?unlid=13949713020169816593

The more you read around the subject, and treatment options, the better prepared you’ll be to have an informed discussion with your GP and get what you need, but anything healthwise I usually put NHS or NICE as part of the search term, then you avoid the ‘dottier’ theories that abound on the internet.
    There are 38 articles on the NICE site that mention PCOS, not all will be relevant to you, but do take a look.

If you are prescribed Tranexamic acid DO NOT TAKE IT FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD, even though GPs will prescribe it
    It’s purpose is to reduce blood flow – I don’t know if it did do anything for heavy menstrual flow, as I’ll never know how bad it would have been with without it, but it did give me DVT and six months of warfarin.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Doordie … you don’t mention how close you are to your goal weight …. the last few pounds are the most difficult to budge. You also don’t mention exercise … which is likely difficult with the constant blood flow … but that could also be a reason for not loosing weight.
    It also sounds like your body is under huge amounts of stress already … maybe it’s not a time to push your body further … and rather maybe explore anything that would help you de-stress and relax .. meditation, mindfulness, some “me” time and pampering???

My body is in stress right now and i think it’s spiking my blood sugar a bit … my feet hurt so i won’t even go cook something low carb … maybe i’ll have some sugar snap peas out of the bag!

p.s. I had the constant bleeding after i had my second ovary out (1st out with a tubal pregnancy, post surgical infection, and second one out) … i finally had a hysterectomy. I also used to have very short painful periods … bleeding though tampons and super pads.

• posted by Doordie
    on

Much help you are, Frog !
    Many thanks!
    Sadly, I am no longer a place where I can access the kind of health care that I am used to.

*I am a your basic “Euro-mutt”, and an “Amerinadian”, as well =] ( US born to UK/EU parents, but raised between Canada, and the US. ) My husband, and I transferred down to the States, from BC, Canada, a few months back, and are now having to deal with the uber-confusing Yankee medical system/private insurance. ( His insurance has just now kicked in, and I am scheduled for my first doctor’s appointment tomorrow. ) We are currently stationed in the US Northern Prairie – MN/ND area. It is a small rural town, with VERY limited medical care. I really hope the appointment goes well; I am a bit nervous ;-|

• posted by Doordie
    on

Oh, no, Shalimar – I am still quite the “chunky monkey” – LOL!

*MOMENT OF SHAME /Horrible confession : I am only 156 cm, ( 5′ 1.5″ ), tall, but I used to weigh almost 136kg, ( 300lbs ) :-O

( Good golly. Ms. Molly – I know – I was a real “dumpling”, and not the kind you find on the DimSum trolley, either! )

Today, my weight hovers around 90kg/200lbs. So, I still have a way/weigh, ( sad lol ), to go. My “saving grace” is that I am something the fellas in the gym refer to as a “mesomorph”. ( I have a LOT of thick muscle, covered by a good layer of fat. ) Think : well-fed, lady bulldog?

Yes, I exercise, but it is limited, by both the bleeding, and an injury to my left leg. I do Tabata five days a week, and lift weights, as well. Also, I garden, fish, and hunt, when I have the time. I am fairly active, for my injuries, and “condition”.

On snap peas… Mmmmmm … Do you live near a WalMart? WM sells them pre-washed in a steamer bag. Just poke a little hole in the bag, steam, lightly salt, and enjoy! Oh, those are good – YUM!!!

For anyone reading this : Autumn is here, and spaghetti squash are in season ! Do you know SS has only 31 C a cup? To prepare, simply cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, sprinkle with seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, and spray with butter-flavored spray. Roast at GM 6/*200C/ *400F until soft, and lightly brown, and enjoy! Eat plain, or top with lo-cal sauce!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I feel for you DOORDIE but i like yr sense of humour!
    I had similar periods to yours for most of my adult life until i finally had a hysterectomy. Aged 44.
    Was such a relief after years of tampons AND what i used to call ” road accident size” pads but STIll folk sidling up to me to whisper there was blood on the back of my skirt! Plus of course the awful cramps like a litter of rats were gnawing at my insides! And all happening pretty much everey fortnight. Exactly the same even when on the pill.
    One time i told the doc i was feeling verey unwell coz had been bleeding for over 2 weeks and he didnt believe me..
    ๐Ÿ™

could your inability to lose weight be hormone related? I know my Doc told me i had very high levels of oestrogen in my system pre menopause and that could lead to probs trying to shed weight

From yr description of yrslef you sound very compact in build ,so could this mean you are muscly so that you weigh heavier,as muscle weighs heavier than flab? I hope you find a solution,as there’s nothing more miserable than really trying yr hardest but not seeing results.. We all do it for the rewards and you deserve to get them too xxx

• posted by Doordie
    on

Well, Yowzer, I know exactly what you mean…

One time i told the doc i was feeling very unwell coz had been bleeding for over 2 weeks and he didnt believe me..
    * I have to go in tomorrow, and tell a doc that I’ve been bleeding like this for almost a year , and a half :-O
    Fortunately, for once in my life, I did something kinda smart, but kinda gross – I ballsed-up, grabbed the camera, and took some snaps! I’m going to print those out later on today, and bring them with me. ( Yeah, they’re pretty horrific, but they’re also very “telling”. )

could your inability to lose weight be hormone related?
    * May be. On the advice of a medically trained friend, I was taking an all natural, bio-identical progesterone cream, ( to help control the bleeding ). I stopped this almost two weeks ago, as I didn’t really feel that it was helping me much, other than to sleep at night. This morning I have noticed that the bleeding is a tiny bit less, also, I am not so tired. HMmmmmm….

I am really hoping that the doc will do a hormone level check. Fingers crossed! I need something to shift here, before I lose my mind!

• posted by Coady
    on

Hi doordie
    Just reading your post I had heavy bleeding for years super plus and extra large pads used to last about an hour on me then have to change some nights I have slept on the loo that’s how bad I let it get in the end went to see dr had the tablets did work for about a week then back to bleeding so ended up up the hospital had scans then they found polyps and fibroids went in and they took a sample of them to make sure they were not cancerous, came back all clear then had a choice coil or endometrial treatment had the endometriosis (basically they laser the lining of your womb out) took ten mins from start to finish and i have not seen a period since that was last Dec I wish I had done it years ago hope this helps but one thing I did notice was when I was having my monthly blood donation as I called them I would gain between 2 and 4 pounds in weight
    Hope you go and see your dr and get it sorted
    Coady

• posted by Doordie
    on

WOW. No period? At all??? Oh, Coady, that just sounds so good!
    I’ve got to do something. I hope the doc will be nice, and actually give a damn, and run full labs!
    *No, never spent the night on the bog, but have found a new use for those “super shamwow car shammies” , that I’m pretty sure Billy Mays would never have thought of – LOL!

• posted by annab275
    on

hope your meeting with the doc goes well – I had this over 10 years ago and had a hysterectomy. Never looked back. Apart from feeling very tired, and unable to go anywhere, my whole life seemed to be dominated by this huge loss of blood. If you are putting on weight would it help to drink more water maybe? I used progesterone cream externally to help with menopause symptoms which seemed to work well x good luck x

• posted by Coady
    on

Lol not use a Shammie , but No not a period since like I said best thing I ever done get round the dr and just tell him to sort it good luck ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Doordie
    on

Thank you !
    * Yes, I always drink water – always thirsty – even slip out of bed at night for it.

* I have thought of a hysterectomy, but everyone says it goes so much easier, if you are closer to menopause, ( peri, or at least showing some symptoms ). I, sadly, have none of that. Also, I am concerned about the “down time”. I knew someone, ( a lady vicar – so not likely to lie, or exaggerate ), who had a hysterectomy , and it went badly – almost three months bed/sofa-ridden, and six more months before she was back to her old self. My life couldn’t take that :-<

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Doordie
    I hadn’t realised that you were in the US – I’ll stop whinging about the NHS so much
    But do look at mooncups – they are definitely available in the US, and while they won’t stop or reduce flow, they make it tons easier to cope with – just the feeling that you can move away form the bathroom for ten minutes can be quite life changing!

You can get Mirena in the US, and it really isn’t complex – I had mine put in under a general anaesthetic when another procedure was performed, but it is usually done under local – and often in GP surgeries or family planning clinics rather than hospitals, so it is likely to be available.
    If your Doctor isn’t very well informed, do read thru the info yourself.
    Essentially it’s a contraceptive coil, but the hormones are distributed very locally to where they are needed, unlike an oral contraceptive, but stop you having periods in the same way. I think some women still bleed lightly, but mine stopped straight away, until a v light bleeding a couple of weeks ago – so four and a half years.
    http://www.mirena-us.com/index.php

My consultants wanted to do a hysterectomy – I resisted because it’s so invasive and the downtime – and the typical bloke response of “doesn’t work, don’t need it, cut it out”. Don’t do that with their penises do they?
    To prepare/research I bought a book on the subject which contained such gems as “before your operation, teach your husband how to use the dishwasher” “buy yourself a pretty nightie so that you feel glamorous when visitors come”

I really hope that your appointment goes well tomorrow, and that your doctor comes up with some solutions.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I had my ovaries out and a hysterectomy when i was in my mid thirties. The surgery was no problem. I never did get to have children … but it wasn’t something that was an obsession for me. I’ve been on a low dose of estrogen … and over the years i’ve taken less and less of those (i am aware of the supposed risks … but i always thought that since my estrogen level was zero after surgery a low dose wasn’t going to be a problem for me). Bioidentical hormones are available now … and actually if you still have your ovaries you wouldn’t need hormone replacement.
    I could probably switch to herbals now … a brand called Estroven has worked somewhat in the past.

Me … i am for hysterectomy …. and as for the downtime … maybe that could be a good thing. Too me it was worth it … short term pain for long term gain.

It’s all been okay in the end for me.

• posted by Doordie
    on

Oh, no worries. My stepdad is from Cambridge; I have a lot of family down in County Cork, Ireland, and we were stationed outside of London, and over in Cardiff, for a bit, so I know all about the NHS! Need a laugh? I had a friend whose Mum was a retired NHS worker, and she used to whinge worse that anyone about it – LOL! I could always tell when she was getting ready to have a rant… It would begin : “Blimey, do you know what those bloody boffins have done now?!?”

Still… All kidding aside… Trust me, Frog – I’ll take the NHS, with all of it’s issues, or just good old Canadian medical, over the complete, and utter shite we have down in the States! It is the worst – all private, and damned expensive. Besides, many of the docs are “in bed” with the big pharmaceutical companies, and you can’t always trust the advice, or the scripts >;-[ ( For any overly sensitive people here – no, I am not Yankee-bashing. I love my birth country; I just hate the medical system. )

*To any non-US poster : If you really want to feel better about your healthcare system… Download a movie called “Sicko”, by Michael Moore. It details many of the problems those of us in the States deal with, as well has general issues facing users of privatized healthcare. It is a real eye-opener :-<

• posted by Doordie
    on

Oh, so so to hear you had to go through so much so soon <3

Shalimar, if you don’t mind my asking, did you have a partial, or a complete hysterectomy?

If I went that route, I would need a complete, as I have both uterine fibroids, and ovarian cysts :-<

*POSSIBLE TMI WARNING : I am scared of the downtime, the possible bad side-effects, but I am also scared of something else… I have heard many women say that a hysterectomy can not only reduce your libido, but hamper, ( eradicate even? ), normal sexual function, ( orgasm ) :-O

My husband is an engineer, ( high-stress position ), and he works a lot. Sadly, we are arguing more than usual, due to homesickness, and problems settling here. We both miss BC, ( Canada ), horribly, and are doubting our decision to relocate here. Sex, when it actually happens, is one of the few good things in my life right now. I don’t want to mess that up ={

• posted by Doordie
    on

Well, wish me luck, ladies… I’m cleaning up the place, finishing a workout, getting my ca-ca together, and I’ll be off to see the new gynie! *insert anxious sigh* Yankee docs make me a bit nervous. I’ve had a couple of mean/irritable ones, and one weird one…

***Horrible true, ( swear to god, or whatever passes as such ), story : I was newly married, and had gone to see the gynie for a possible yeast infection. He was old as dirt, and grouchy as a grizzly. He fussed at me for not douching, ( I have chemical sensitivities – don’t even wear make up, or perfume ), and told me that I needed to keep it “finger-licking good” at all times :-O Then, called both my husband, ( he had brought me to the appointment ), and I into his office, and proceeded to talk directly to my husband, and hand him the scripts!!! I felt like a sick bitch, that had been off to the vet :-< ( This was back in the 80’s, so no, they hopefully don’t do stuff like that anymore! ) Still, it was an “experience”, to say the least.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Doordie … the final operation was just the hysterectomy … because my ovaries were already gone. They thought i had a tubal pregnancy so they took one tube and ovary out … but i got a post surgical infection and they ended up taking out the other ovary. Then i had the continuous painful period … so they did the hysterectomy.

I did fine. I’m actually still taking a low dose estrogen decades later — but i seldom remember to take the pill unless i’m hot flashing.

P.S. there are still old fossils around!!!

P.S.S. …. i still feel “randy”… but my sex life sucked the same before and after. I still appreciate** a good** book!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ even when i haven’t taken my estrogen!

• posted by Frog
    on

HI Doordie – hope that the appointment went well – and the Doctor wasn’t too weird.
    Did you take your husband along so that the Doctor had someone to explain his diagnosis to?
    (that’s me being just as bad, and assuming that the Doctor is male!)

• posted by Vickyp
    on

Hi Doordie, just registered on the site a few mins ago and saw your post and a few replies. I can really empathise with your fibroid issues. I had a friend in the same situation and I had fibroids that made me look 8 months pregnant! To cut a long story short my friend was offered a ufe uterine fibroid embolisation . It transformed her life for the better. If I hadn’t known this I would be recovering from a hysterectomy right now as my consultant didn’t even mention it. I had to raise it. Not sure why this is as the operation involves just a one night hospital stay and a 2-4 week recovery time.
    It is sounds scary but I was awake during the, op, chatting to staff and didn’t feel a thing.
    My friend is 50 and me 48 and we both under the same hospital
    I hope that helps and good luck with everything
    X

• posted by Coady
    on

Hi doordie
    Hope all went well up the dr and you are finally getting sorted , well it’s day five for me and just walked into town to get weighed and OMG I lost a stone yes 1 whole stone yes 6.35 kg or 14lb I can’t believe it I know you lose a lot in the first week and a lot of it is fluid but I don’t care I lost a stone so I am going to have a banana yes my treat is a banana lol hope all is going well for you all ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by shalimar
    on

Way to go Coady!!!

Good suggestion Vickyp.

Hope all is well …. or at least better Doordie!!

• posted by Doordie
    on

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Vicky <3

* No, I don’t want a hyster, unless there are no other options!

• posted by Doordie
    on

A stone – WOW! CONGRATULATIONS, Coady!!!

* I know a skinny Banana “trick”… Next time you are in the green grocer, look for something called “butter bananas” / “finger bananas”. They are literally half the size, or less of the standard banana, and they have the most awesome taste – buttery and sweet! Find plain, Greek yoghurt; add a bit of stevia, and a few drops of rum, banana, or vanilla extract. Mix well. Take one of those little bananas, coat it in the yoghurt, sprinkled with toasted coconut, and freeze. Oh, man is it devine, and only a fraction of the carbs of a large banana =]

• posted by Doordie
    on

UPDATE : Well, I went to the Gynie. He wasn’t mean, or anything – just a bit apathetic. ( I think likely tired, and overworked. ) Anyhow, he sent me for my labs – only thyroid, and iron, though. I was really hoping he would do a full panel :-< He said the nurse will call next week to schedule me for procedures. ( I have to have a tissue sample, pap smear, and a few other things. ) I suppose we will have to just wait and see, now ;-/

*I have good news… I got on the scale, and woosh – 3lbs gone – FINALLY!!! I hate to say it but I think that progesterone cream might have been doing me more of a mischief, than I thought. ( I got on an all natural, bio-identical progesterone cream, a while back, at the suggestion of someone I know, who has medical training, and some experience with hormone issues. I did it to control the bleeding. ) Not only did it not help; I think it might have made things worse. It gave me chin acne, too >;-[ I’ve been off it for 10 days, maybe a fortnight? Anyhow, the bleeding is much better, and the acne is gone, and the scale seems to be moving again =]

***FOR ANY WOMAN READING THIS – IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT, AND PUDGE STILL WON’T BUDGE – GET YOUR HORMONE LEVELS CHECKED, AND BEWARE OF HRT, AND “NATURAL HORMONE CREAMS”! I’m not saying that taking hormones is bad. I’m just saying – BE CAREFUL. Hormone treatment is not a “one size fits all” thing.

• posted by Doordie
    on

LOL! No, the Gynie’s ok, I guess – lord, knows, I’ve had worse. Want to hear sad, Frogie? There are no private gynies where I am. ( I live in a rural, farming community , about an hour, or so, just south of Fargo, ND. ) In fact, there are only two clinics in the whole area. Each clinic has only two gynies. One gynie is out on leave till mid-January, and the other one is booked solid till February. I had to drive 40 minutes, on a country road, behind a combine for much of the way, to a clinic in a neighboring town, up in Minnesota – just to get an appointment! That clinic has two gynies, but both stay pretty booked. We have a horrible, HORRIBLE shortage of docs over here! The poor First Nation gals have it even worse – the doulas usually deliver their babies, as they can seldom make it in time to the town, and there is only one visiting gynie, that comes once a month! UGHhhhhhh! It’s either that, or haul it up to Fargo – an hour, one way – 1.5 hours once the snows come :-< I miss BC so much! I didn’t know how good I had it – just walked down the hill to clinic – never needed an appointment, no “co-pay”, cheap, or free scripts… *SIGH* We live and we learn, eh?

• posted by Coady
    on

Hi doordie
    Thanks and I love the sound of the banana trick and will try it out , I hope it don’t take too long before you are sorted ,we are lucky in the uk I know some slag the NHS but we would be up the creek without a paddle if we never had it , from the time I went to Drs and went to hospital was on four months and free

• posted by Doordie
    on

I hear that! Good for you!

• posted by Frog
    on

hi doordie

glad the doctor was OKish – no wonder he seemed tired & overworked!
    Hope the tests come back with good results & next week goes well – & great news the weight loss

Had to google “first nation”, so looked on a map to see where Fargo was – I can see where you are now!

I’m staying with a friend for a few days, so less control over what I’m eating – but she is cooking amazing BSD friendly food for me (mostly!). Delicious aubergine curry yesterday, and salmon with sauce vierge & mange tout this evening. BUT desert – oven baked banana with two tiny squares of very dark chocolate baked inside. Would have been rude to say no!

I have the aubergine recipe and will post it at some point.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks for updating us Doordie!
    I’m in Canada a few hours north of Duluth Minnesota!
    Canada’s medical system has it’s problems … but even up here in a not so large city with a doctor shortage … at least money is no concern. There are lots of walk in clinics and a largish hospital. It’s not perfect but it’s sort of manageable. We have a new medical school shared by 2 Northern Ontario cities … so we are starting to get a few more new doctors in the area.

We do have a Diabetes help organization (free) as well as a newish category called nurse practitioners which are in between a nurse and a doctor… which can also be helpful.

The Victorian Order of Nurses offers foot care for diabetics and others (i have an appointment … this does cost but it’s like a pedicure). This VON also offers a free exercise class for seniors at the community centre just around the corner from my house.

So there is some support … and free.

Wish i had those bananas …. or even a fridge with a freezer compartment … soon though~!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Doordie

I reread the BSD book at the weekend – I read it really quickly before starting, then loaned it to a friend & just got it back.
    I don’t recall whether you are diabetic and taking insulin or not? There was a reference in the book to research that connected taking insulin with PCOS, that may well be looking up if it relates to your circumstances. Indication was that if your blood sugars stabilise and you stop taking insulin, the PCOS may sort itself out.

• posted by Doordie
    on

I know, I desperately wish I was back in Canada, or the UK. I feel like I would have a better chance of getting this sorted. Oh, well – you live and learn, I suppose.

• posted by Doordie
    on

Oh, Frog – that banana sounds absolutely divine!

*Love aubergines! Miss my old curry house back home. Woke up viciously homesick this morning :-<

• posted by Doordie
    on

Yes, I had a nurse practitioner once – she was quite good. She actually listened, and tried to help. They can be better than docs sometimes.

• posted by Doordie
    on

My sad little weekend story …

I’ve been adhering to the BSD religiously. I was so happy that I had finally lost a few measly pounds, – after three weeks ;-| Friday, my husband came home, and begged me to go up to Fargo, to have sushi with him, and celebrate a raise. So we went. Yes, I did eat some rice, but it was mostly sashimi, and seaweed salad. Somehow I gained EVERYTHING back in one meal! Yes, I got on the scale Saturday morning, only to discover that I had re-gained the 3 lbs overnight. I was so upset, that I “cut it to the core” for the rest of the weekend – just protein shakes, LC veggies, and broth – about 600 C a day, and have managed to lose most of the weight. But, damn… Just one freaking meal??? This morning, I am tired, sad, and angry. SOooo hard to lose, and so easy to gain :-< Yeah, I know life isn’t fair – suck it up, Buttercup. Sometimes, I just get tired of “sucking it up”.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Oh Doordie – weight can go up and down by 2-3lbs overnight NOT because of having one evening of not-quite-BSD eating, but because of water, where you are in the digestive cycle, and all manner of things.

So it won’t be that sushi, it’ll be something which – given the mysterious nature of the human body – even an expert (you!) can’t diagnose.

So, don’t give up, life’s not fair, sure, but not because of this.

Keep on keeping on. I am known as Igorasusual ARE YOU MEASURING, because that’s what I always say when the weight sticks…..have you noticed any clothes feeling loser after your three weeks? Is your face looking just a bit thinner when you catch sight of yourself? Anything else changed? I know you’ve had some dreadful health issues – so sorry to read about it – but can you see some things getting just very very slightly better?

Your slight weight gain IS NOT BECAUSE OF THE SUSHI – have you got it???? No reason to despair.

Onwards and downwards! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Doordie
    on

I found something…
    *TIP FOR “HARD LOSERS”… ( “Hard losers” – god, that sounds bad, doesn’t it? Sorry. We are out there, though, and we have to go about things a bit differently :-<) Ok, here’s what I found – two things…

The 1st : Do you guys know what glucomannan powder, ( Konjac root ), is? It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless substance that can be used to thicken sauces, or soup. Also, it makes you feel full – very fast. To use, simply mix a small spoonful with cold water, ( use a whisk ), and add to whatever it is you want to thicken – stir well. ( Work fast, as the stuff sets up quickly! ) This can be found at the HF/NF store, or ordered on Amazon. Also, it can be purchased in capsule form. Take two with hot tea, or broth, for when your tummy is really growling, and you are “out of” calories for the day, or “saving calories” for a meal out,or something special. Calories… The new “currency”, eh?

The 2nd : A*k%n$ has something new out. It’s called “Lift protein drink”. I tried it over the weekend. Not bad! 90C/ 20g P / 1 cb. ( If you are really cutting, it is damn hard to get 20 g of protein for only 90 calories – just saying. ) I got mine at Walmart. It comes in different fruit flavours, and fills you up surprisingly well =] You can have one of those, and a big garden salad, and still stay under 200 calories, easily.

Any other “hard losers”, ( thyroid, PCOS, Cushing’s, Prader Willi, … ), on here? Feel free to post your “tips and tricks” ! This is tough going, ladies, and we need to support one another <3

• posted by Doordie
    on

*Onwards and downwards!
    Oh, I hope so!

However, there is a odd phenomenon in the bodybuilding circles known as “carb bloat”. Basically, if you have been cutting, and keeping the carbs low for a long time, and you eat carbs all of the sudden – especially “dry carbs”, ( rice, pasta, beans, potatoes, cereal… ), it can cause a strange kind of bloat/retention. Perhaps, that’s what happened to me? I don’t know. I only know it happened, and now it is gone.

I saw something so “sad-funny” the other day, and it just kind of stuck with me. It was meme that read : “I no longer eat food; I eat numbers.” So true, everything these days is all about calorie, or carb count :-/

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Carb ‘bloat’ from the little bit of rice round the sushi? Mmmmmm. Perhaps.

But I think more likely from any number of other reasons – and I say this because my own weight goes up and down in similar ways.

My main point was to say to you – if you fall off the wagon for any reason (congratulations on OH’s job, by the way :)), then you are VERY UNLIKELY to have done too much damage in one go.

So r – e – l – a – a – a – a – x (gosh that was difficult to type ;)), and just keep on keeping on.

Believe me, YOU WILL GET THERE! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

glucomannan powder, ( Konjac root …… i think i’ve seen that advertised as a diet aid ….. who knows what that’s going to do to your body on top of everything else that’s happening. I would be really leary of that type of thing … The BSD diet is eventually going to retrain your body and your mind …. when you achieve the results you want are you going to be taking things like Konjac root (basically a crutch) …… and in a while you will be back where you started. My theory is that it’s way better to eat healthier and healthier. ????? Just putting my oar in.

• posted by Doordie
    on

When you achieve the results you want are you going to be taking things like Konjac root (basically a crutch)

*No, I’ve always used it. ( For the last year, or so.) It takes the place of cornstarch. It’s not a diet aid; it’s just a fiber. It thickens soup – gives it a much better texture – more filling, as well.

• posted by Doordie
    on

Thanks, I’m trying.
    ( This is just one of those days where I want to fall face first into a bowl of nachos, if you know what I mean ? )

• posted by shalimar
    on

Yup i know what you mean ….. my sinus problem seems to be turning into a cold! …. i want bacon …. there is bacon in the house!!

• posted by Doordie
    on

Poor thing <3
    Sinus trouble is a misery!

• posted by Doordie
    on

I know, and I paid for it – believe me.
    ( But I just didn’t want to have to hear my hubby going on about how “I never eat with him, anymore”. )

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well we wouldn’t want hubby to say that! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Just before BSD i discovered Tokyo House restaurant ….. i think my favorite thing will have to be left off my menu bcause of the breading …i seldom order the rice wrapped things though because they are too filling … no room for other good stuff. I’ll bet i could still eat there … they have chicken, crab, fish, pork too!

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Hi Doordie. If I understand you first post right you detail calories and protein. You might be like me and need to track your carbs more carefully to get a weight lost boost. Some of the BSD recipes can be a bit high in carbs for some. I was sticking to 50g carb limit a day then dropped to 20g and lost 7 pounds that week. Whilst also upping my calories from fat. Some people can eat much more carbs than me and lose.

Please log in or register to post a reply.