Not losing any weight!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Hi Everyone,
    I started the diet 3 weeks ago now and in the first two weeks I lost 11lbs – brilliant! However, it’s been 6 days and there has been no loss at all and I’ve been sticking to 900 calories most days, (have never been able to stick to just 800!) I’ve been doing exercise such as Zumba and going on the cross trainer but nothing is changing so far!
    I’ve not touched any carbs and steering well clear of any hidden sugars.
    ‘My boyfriend thinks I should try drinking more water so I’m doing that as well…
    Has anyone else had this kind of problem?? I was doing so well before, practically losing a lb a day but now nothing!
    Help!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hulagirl, everyone has had this problem, it is common with all diets, it is called a plateau. Your body is taking a little time out to reassess its situation, you have given it a shock. Yes, drink more water, it can’t hurt, don’t give up on the diet, you will get what we call a whoosh moment when the weight loss kicks in again. By the way, you have done really well so far, keep on keeping on…

• posted by MortenOsloNorway
    on

Hi Hulagirl!

Congrats to loosing 11 lbs during the first two weeks! ๐Ÿ™‚

It is not uncommon that people on this diet experience plateus and even minor weight increases at some stages! Some people experience that their weight is constant, but in reality, they burn fat, but has an increase in the water content in the body. This is quite normal and as you continue on the diet, weight will come off. The tip from your boyfriend to drink more water is good, drink plenty! Another tip is to lower the intake of carbs. Have you succeeded in keeping it to 60 grams per day? If yes – try reducing further!

Best of luck – you will succeed! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Hulagirl

Well done on your loss to date. I’m only a few days in so not very experienced at it all yet but I did invest in a new set of scales (for me, not the kitchen ๐Ÿ™‚ ) which not only measures my weight but also the fat content of my body and, even on the days I haven’t actually lost weight, the fat content reading is going down. So maybe, as you are exercising (as am I) and consequently building muscle, this could be happening to you? Just a possibility – it may just be the normal plateau that all dieters reach at some stage but sorts itself out if you keep going. Keep up the good work, you are doing amazingly well – particularly as you are sticking to the diet even though you haven’t lost any weight this week. Go girl!

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Thank you all so so much for your replies.
    I have actually just bought some new slightly too technical scales so I’ll definitely try measuring body fat rather than just overall weight.
    Thank you.
    I’ll keep going and if still no change next week I’ll be bending your ear again! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• posted by LizV
    on

I’m at the two week mark as well and worried about this happening as the last couple days the scale has stayed the same. I keep telling myself that there’s no way I’m not losing on 800 calories a day, but that loss on the scale is so motivating. Good luck! Right there with you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Most of us had ‘pauses’ in weight loss of a week or more and some actually had weight increases, but measurements were going down and clothes getting looser. Our bodies are incredible, but their weight is due to all sorts of factors. Search for plateau and whoosh in the forum and see just how common it is, and what the explanations are.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Thank you everyone – I’ve been under 900 calories and drank 2 litres of water so far today so hopefully it should start showing again soon!

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Well I just thought I would update this post – stepped on the scales and literally overnight it’s gone down by 3lbs. Very happy as that’s my first stone!!!!

• posted by Iphi
    on

On my 4th week and seem to be at a stand still.aaarrrrrr.
    No weight loss for 5 days now even thou most of these days I was having between 650 to 750 cals a day & 10 minutes Cross training (HIT) every night!!!!…
    Could not having the full 800 cals be hindering weight loss??????

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, lphi! Are you counting carbs? More often than not, that is the problem, as well as insufficient hydration.
    I think the Fast 800, 800 calories per day, is designed to provide adequate nutrition, and putting yourself
    into semi starvation mode at 600 calories a day has no extra weight loss advantages, and may even
    damage your metabolism in the long term.
    I hope the scales to move again for you. Best of luck,

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Iphi,
    You are not alone having periods of no weight change. Its quite common. I don’t think its linked to being 100 cals less than the 800 cals of the diet plan. Think about it from the other side, if the number of cals to be effective for weight loss is specific then so too would be the number of cals burnt, so we would all have to have the same amount of exercise, the same resting metabolic rate etc etc. – Or there would have to be formulas on calculating input linked to weight, height, exercise levels, etc to set a ratio between the input and output cals. I think the 800 cals target has been specified simply because even those with a sedimentary lifestyle should lose some fat each week at that level of input.

I think you may find it reassuring to search the forums for posts about the whoosh effect. – Our bodies do not burn the fat from each individual fat cell at a time, so weight loss isn’t linear. The body burns some fat from a number of cells, and as it uses some fat from a cell it replaces the fat with water. So your fat levels are reducing but the weight isn’t changing. Once all the fat from that group of cells is used up then the water is released and the fat cells collapse.

My guess is that the larger the area of fat cells that the body is drawing fat from, the longer the period between whoosh events and the bigger the whoosh when it happens. But if you keep on with carb levels low so that your body remains in fat burning mode and eating less cals than you burn eventually the scales will move.

Please log in or register to post a reply.