Not diabetic or pre diabetic but overweight and unhealthy- now feeling wonderful

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JillyJane
    on

Hi, I was advised to get blood tests to keep an eye on my glucose levels, and they mentioned the Blood sugar diet.
    I bought the book and am trying it out.My glucose levels were ok.

I have to say the food suits me , and I love it.
    I had not been looking after myself for a long time skipping meals etc, and I can’t believe how much better I feel.
    Anyone have any other advice for someone whose using the diet to lose weight, but just enjoys the food.
    I’m using my fitness pal, and bought the blood sugar diet recipe book, but I found the initial book incredibly user friendly .
    Any more advice to keep me on track.
    Is it ok to repeat recipes that suit you, ie are convenient , rather then follow the 8 week recipe plan in the book
    Tia

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi JillyJane and welcome to the site. Just to answer one question – yes it is okay to repeat recipes as long as you are making the totals for the day around the right number of calories. Once you get used to it there are lots of things you can try and the 2 recipe books are great, the blood sugar diet recipe book and the fast 500 recipe book.

Dont know what else to tell you about the diet as it will depend on what you want to know. Look on the search in the top corner by typing in a subject or just ask away, there is always someone who can help. BTW great about the no diabetes results. Maybe it is a chance to make sure that doesnt come along for the future. Enjoy the diet and keep on keeping on…

• posted by freester
    on

Hi and welcome…

Like you I was recommended the BSD by my GP – to lose some weight. That was 2.5 years ago and still successfully maintaining.

My advice – get the accompanying recipe books. I didn’t follow the plan in the book I just planned a weeks meals, totted up the calories. I wasn’t too specific about 800 cals a day. Maybe 900 one day 700 the next, as long as it averaged 800 over a week.

Once you get into it you’ll find other recipes that suit. I actually find quite a few recipes on the BBC Food website that are suitable or can be adapted.

My final advice – try and keep a mindset of enjoying what you can have, rather than missing what you can’t. But it sounds like you’ve got that already.

on

Jilly, with your reference to diabetes, I was wondering if you are also counting your carbs. Best thing to do if you want to keep diabetes at bay. There is a good resource called thedietdoctor.com with gives recipes, ideas on what carbs are in what foods etc.

• posted by JillyJane
    on

Thanks, I’m using the recipes from the blood sugar diet and putting them into MyFitnessPal , but I’ll have a look at the diet doctor.

• posted by JillyJane
    on

But I am having difficulty working out how to get this info from diet doctor

• posted by JillyJane
    on

But I am having difficulty working out how to get this info from diet doctor

on

Just popped in to say – JillyJane I worked out your problem. When I tried the main site it offered a free trial then it wants you to pay. To get onto the free site you type http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. Then start scrolling down to read the basics, then what to eat and then there a pictures of various foods i.e. veg, fruit, drinks etc and you click on each one to see what their carbs are. Hope that helps. They have changed the site a bit so it took a bit of searching.

Please log in or register to post a reply.