Normal weight but mild fatty liver

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AlexH
    on

Hello guys,

I already posted on the Welcome to the BSD forum page so apologies for any repetition. I am 39 years old and have mild IBD (Crohn’s) which was diagnosed in April 2019. I am a very normal weight of 75kg with a BMI of 21.2 so I am nowhere near being overweight. I have been told that I have mild deposits of fat around my liver and my liver enzyme levels are quite high. I do not drink alcohol and rarely did in the past. I’ve started reading the blood sugar diet book and have no problem with the food that needs to be eaten. Because I am nowhere near being diabetic and do not need to to lose weight, I am really unsure as to how much of this food I can eat? I do not want to lose weight so should i just do what I can whilst avoiding eating starchy carbs? (I never really ate them in the first instance).
    Bit confused here and if there is anyone here in similar condition I would really love some advice.
    I was told that the IBD could be exacerbating the fatty liver issue so I am caught between somewhat of a rock and a hard place.
    Many thanks.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi AlexH,

Most people do not read all new posts on the forum, the majority of people focus on the weekly thread, the thread for each week has the date it starts from in the title and usually starts on a Tuesday each week. Joining that thread is the best place to ask questions.

But in summery what ;you are asking for help with is to change your body composition removing fat from around organs and building additional muscle and bone to stay at the same weight. You are currently fat inside, slim on the outside.

Briefly, your body can not burn your fat stores wherever those fat stores are if your insulin levels are high. – High carb intake raises insulin levels. When you keep your insulin low, by keeping carbs low you can then think of your fat stores as being meals that you have previously eaten. Once your body has adapted to using fat as a fuel, you can use whatever exercise program you want to build muscle and strong bones and when you have used up the stored fat can use increased levels of healthy fat in your diet to make up the extra calories.

• posted by AlexH
    on

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. Problem I have is that my insulin levels are normal, I am not pre diabetic and I cannot do the 800 calorie a day plan as my bmi number will slip into the underweight category. If I can slowly begin to remove the fat from my liver by eating the foods in the M plan section in the book, I will happily do it. However, I don’t know what portion sizes to eat or how much I can eat? Of course if I cut out the sugar and starchy carbs I will start losing weight and I hope this will in turn remove the fat from my liver. Has anyone had any experience of this as I am still a little lost on this?

Please log in or register to post a reply.