Newbie with questions!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hawkeye1
    on

Hi all. Just finished reading the book and going to start on Monday. Looking for some advice from those in the know. Is there one type of yogurt I should be using? In the recipes different ones are mention and I know that plain yogurt is pretty awful? Also same with cheese as I love all cheese except feta and goats. Ideas and thoughts would be great before I do the new shop! Exciting but a little bit scary too!

• posted by veggie2
    on

I too am starting on Monday. I could not get the book as it is unavailable on amazon, but have the kindle version, not good for following recipes. So I have the menus from the Daily Mail. Will shop on Sunday for the first three days. I like the Total greek yogurt (not 0%), as the texture is nicer.

• posted by Hawkeye1
    on

Thanks veggie2. I will add that to the list! Good luck Monday!

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I think that any full fat natural yogurt is fine Hawkeye. I love yogurt but hate natural yogurt, but I have found I am getting used to natural yogurt (3 days on the diet) by first mashing up about 6 raspberries then stiring that in the yogurt. Any soft berries will do.

I don’t really eat meat and my protein comes from fish, cheese and eggs mostly. I am still eating full fat hard cheese (cheddar) and I believe that as long as it’s all counted in with the 800 calories it’s fine. For soft cheese I bought some Quark, which is between a soft cheese and thick yogurt. I spread it on a ryvita and then layed slices of strawberry on the top to give it a bit of flavour as I found the Quark to be quite flavourless. I might not buy that again but find some other soft cheese that is allowed to be part of the diet.

At the moment I’m not sure what soft cheeses are counted as processed and what in natural if you know what I mean.

The thing is, we are so used to having sugar in our foods that our taste buds now have to get used to not having that. Over a few days we should find the bland tastes a bit more flavourful as our taste buds get used to them.

At the moment for me, as I am still learning, I am just making sure that I don’t eat any processed foods, only eating vegatables grown above ground, eating pulses, seeds and the occasion peanuts. As far as I know all meat, chicken, fish, eggs and cheese is ok.

I am eating nothing that is low fat or fat free and that includes skimmed milk. I only have whole milk now.

I”m hoping I am doing the right things to make sure I get a balanced diet.

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hi Hawkeye,
    Use Greek yoghurt and where possible add spices to make it more flavourable.
    Regards
    Hopeful

• posted by Hawkeye1
    on

Oh thanks guys, that all makes sense and good to know what works for you.

• posted by TraceyH31
    on

I bought the book on Tuesday from Whsmith it was half price at 4.49 – bargain. I also bought the kindle version but returned it as the recipes were too hard to search on the kindle version.

• posted by AlisonPeden
    on

Hi, I bought the book today. Just reading in bed and off to the shops tomorrow to buy veg!

• posted by Tracy
    on

Hi, I got the book yesterday, £4.49 from W H Smiths, just finished reading and I’m making a shopping list for tomorrow. Good luck everyone

• posted by Morgan
    on

I am also going to start tomorrow!! Not massively prepared though….going to wing it a little, good luck everyone 🍀

• posted by Hawkeye1
    on

Yeah, good luck to all us newbies starting in the am! Will be after lots of advice from you guys.

• posted by Ballydurn
    on

starting Monday 25th Jan 2016.

Could have done with a print out of a shopping list of items needed ………. hint..

• posted by Natalie
    on

I make my own yoghurt, very easy with an Easi-yo kit (basically a thermos that you put the culture and milk powder with warm water overnight) and I use the Greek unsweetened one. I find it tastes pretty nice, but better if you put fruit in it! And my tracker says it has significantly less calories than commercial Greek yoghurt even though they are both unsweetened.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

My doc suggested that I use full-fat kefir instead of yogurt. It has more probiotics than yogurt. The tastes range quite a bit depending upon the brand. He said that the probiotics will make my gut bacteria healthier. Healthier gut, less desire to eat incorrectly. Am finding that to be true.

If nothing else, it’s a nice change from yogurt.

Please log in or register to post a reply.