We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Daisy Walsh
    on

Hi everybody, my name is Daisy, I live in Scotland and was told 3 days ago that I have tipped over into type 2 diabetes, not by much and a complete surprise as I was never told by my last doc that I was borderline! I have been given 3 months to reverse it so I ordered the 8 Week BSD diet and also the recipe book. They arrived 2 days ago and I have read them thoroughly and started yesterday. I also have a lot of weight to lose so am thrilled to have lost 4lb this morning (I know it will be water weight) and this has really inspired me. The recipes actually look delicious and I feel I can really stick to this as I never once felt hungry on my 2 meals yesterday which is a complete surprise to me. However, I do feel I will need support and back up from people other than my husband and would love to hear how far along people are and how they are managing. Thanks for reading my lengthy post!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Daisy
    Welcome to the forum. It’s great that you’ve started on the BSD and that you’ve lost 4lb already (water weight counts in my book!). My main message is the BSD really works and it will for you. There are so many people in your position (and mine) for whom it’s worked.
    My experience is that I started BSD in 2016 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 (although I wasn’t on the forum then.) On diagnosis my HbA1C was 106 so very high. After 4 months on the BSD, my next HbA1c was 36 so my blood glucose was well in the normal range. It’s been between 34-36 ever since, even when I managed to put over 2 stone back on again in 2018.
    I lost a lot of weight (6st)which was important for me, but my key tip for getting and keeping your blood glucose back down is to keep your daily intake of carbohydrates low. (Carbs turn to glucose very quickly in your body.) Most recommend keeping your carbs to no more than 50g daily. ( I think it’s what MM recommends in his latest book). There are free apps that you can use to keep track of your daily intake of cals, carbs, etc if you want. (I use fatsecret.co.uk but there are others).

There are lots of people on here who can offer support, just ask and someone will respond. It’s also worth searching in the search box (top right hand of page) for any topic you are interested in as there are a lot of old threads with great info on. There are also suggestions on other reading and resources which are posted on different threads – just ask and someone will point you in the right direction.
    There are a few regular threads which you can join (any or all) where people will welcome you.
    Good wishes with everything.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Daisy Walsh
    on

Thanks Jennifer, wow you have done brilliantly and have inspired me more. Thanks for the info, I am going to take a look around the forums now

• posted by Verano
    on

Daisy
    Welcome. I’d just like to reiterate Jennie’s point ….. carbs are the secret…. while weight is important staying low carb is the real secret.
    I was diagnosed with T2 in 2011(I think!) and found BSD in 2016 , around about the same time as a friend with uncontrolled T2 had a toe removed! Because back in 2016 this was still an ‘experimental’ way of eating I followed my GP’s advice about coming off metformin slowly. Anyway, to cut a long story short I’ve been medication free for over five years now with completely ‘normal’ blood sugar.
    You can do this, many of us have and you will too. Just take care of your carbs and your body will take care of your blood sugars.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Daisy
    Sorry I missed your message about calling me Jennifer instead of Jennie ( just read it while browsing threads – one of the Week by week ones, I think?). No worries, it used to be my Sunday name (oh, and my telling off name – ouch – when I was a child).
    Hope you’re doing well.
    Jennie (aka Jennifer, or anything really)
    xx

• posted by waveCrest
    on

Hi Verano,
    Sorry about coming to this conversation late but it interested me…
    What do you call low carb?
    And do you have any idea what are your carb/fat/protein ratios?

In the early days when I was doing the 800 calories, it was almost obvious.
    Now, when I’m in day to day “maintenance mode”, it’s a little more difficult.

David

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi David
    Good question!
    I think it’s very much a case of trial and error. Everybody has to find the level of carbs that works for them. It also depends on why you are cutting carbs. If you have T2 then carbs play a completely different role in your overall health than if your primary reason for cutting carbs is to lose weight.
    So, I guess the simplest answer is to stay away from simple carbs…. bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. I don’t weigh or count very often now. I check my blood sugar with a finger prick a few times a week, and as long as it’s less than 6.5 I know my HbA1c is going to be well into the ‘normal’ range. BUT, that’s just how my body works.
    I like Dr Ben Bikman ….. PRIORITISE PROTEIN, control carbohydrates and don’t fear fat (healthy fats).
    Hope that helps, sorry I can’t provide ‘numbers’ but for maintenance I would guess that anything less than 100g would be classed as low carb. Take a look at the dietdoctor site if you’ve not already found it.

• posted by waveCrest
    on

Thanks Verano,
    My rationale is suppressing my blood sugars which had gone into the T2 range last autumn.
    So far, so good. The initial 800 burst was incredibly effective. The last HbA1C was just about in the normal range.
    Like you, I’ve been doing a prick test every morning … and lately they have been creeping up (high 6’s) despite doing all the simple things!
    I guess I still don’t have “the instinct” so this week, I’ve gone back to measuring and logging in myFitnessPal.

David

• posted by waveCrest
    on

Hi Daisy,
    You’ll be about the 5 week mark now?
    How’s it going?

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Hi Jennie I was very interested to read your post as I too was just told my hb1ac reading was just over 100 . I think, like you, I have to really stick to a v low carb diet – my body simply can’t handle them! How do you stick to less than 25? What foods do you eat regularly to keep it that low? I am getting very bored with chicken and eggs! Do you ever cheat? 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.