New Year 2020 ! Two weeks this time from 4th to 18th February 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Exactly, JGwen! Huge brain boost and looking back, I did feel ill all the time – or at least not well. I crave feeling like this permanently, so bad carbs can bog off – there is nothing appealing at all about going back. I still have loads of cereal, snack bars and tinned temptations in the cupboard and a big jar of pasta on the kitchen counter in plain sight, plus goodness knows what in the freezer and I haven’t seriously contemplated any of it. I think perhaps my occasional cravings for chocolate, bread and biscuits are now more psychological because they have been so easy to reach for for so long and I associate them with rewarding myself, or cheering myself up. But now I know better and try to think of that behaviour as self-harm! I had a fruit tea at work the other day and couldn’t drink it because it seemed so outrageously sweet. Hopefully by next Christmas carby items will be just as redundant for me as they were for you!
    My carbs have been under 20g (bar one day of 23g – think I went overboard with sweet peppers) for 3 weeks now. I have made sure to aim for lots of variety, but I really am a bit sick of leafy greens – have cabbage, spinach, spring greens or kale in some form every day. Tend to rely on steaming or wilting them down, so perhaps texture I’m fed up with as much as anything. Going to try sprouts (which I’ve always found genuinely inedible, but have looked up some recipes), now I have learned to appreciate kale! I admit to being a little bit lazy with preparation due to pressure of time, so I need to up my game.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Bryla, that stone will happen just keep going. You’re doing everything right and making great progress, especially as you already understand how this way of eating impacts more than just weight and blood sugar. Have you tried kale crisps, really easy to do and will add a bit of texture. You could also try doing shredded raw white cabbage, with an oil and vinegar dressing and caraway seeds.

I haven’t made any progress in the last week, the scales have slide up and down over the same pound. I know of course that this is not unusual, but I feel like it’s been a wasted week. Never mind! Refocusing and putting my best foot forward, determined to make this week count …. hope you’ll all be marching along with me.

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

W6D1
    The weekend was hard this time, final practice for my daughter’s food exam. I had to test each recipe which blew my calories for the day and because it was sugar/flour laden I felt hungry most of Saturday and Sunday. Still the scales were kind and I had another week with a 1.6kg discard.
    My daughter is currently in her food exam and my normal response to nerves is to eat junk, in fact it is my normal response to most things. Today, it hasn’t been so bad, I just keep drinking the hot water and not really thinking about food.
    With only about 19 days left at 800 calories, i am thinking about my exit strategy. I think probably about a week at 1200 calories and then move to 1500 on a more permanent basis. I intend to exercise more once I have the spare energy so I need to be mindful of not losing too much weight so I will judge it on a weekly basis until I reach some kind of equilibrium around a target BMI of 23.
    I shall KOKO and continue to be inspired by you all.

• posted by Red-Riding
    on

Hi Bryla,
    Thanks for thinking of me. I have let myself have the occasional can of Pepsi max which seems to have worked well. I feel like I am getting a treat without any calories. I know it’s not strictly on plan but it is only occasionally.

I’m W5D1 now and yesterdays weight in was exactly 2 stone lost which I am made up with. I am so motivated by the results that I can power though the odd craving. I am currently getting weighed almost every day, first thing in the morning before I go for an hours walk at 6am before work. Only way I can get in a little activity. It is starting to get light by the time I get home. Which is also very motivating. Come on SPRING!!!

Bryla – I completely understand what you said about being a bit over greens. Except I am obsessed by kale. Do you ever oven roast it till it goes crispy? Great with curry or stew to add a bit of texture. I really miss crispy foods at the minute as that use dto be the carb portion of my meal.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Phoenix that’s still s good result, despite the extra carbs, but most importantly, you’ve managed to control what you have recognise as a problem eating ‘reflex’. You’re doing great.

Redriding that’s a brilliant milestone to hit …. and in such a short period too! I admire your get some exercise in so early in the day, that shows real conviction.

Keep going everyone, you are all becoming the living proof that this WOE works.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone,fingers crossed for a great week ahead!

RED-RIDING,You are such an inspiration! Two stone off in 4 weeks👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Thinking about that will help me stay on track.
    You make me think,onwards and downwards,to infinity and beyond!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    BRYLA I read a few days back that yr doggy is better now and I keep meaning to say how glad i am for both of you.
    Its so miserable when a pet is unwell XX

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

It’s been over a week since I posted and I do not wish to fall back into the old lurking habit. I really want to say that reading all of your posts is so inspiring and motivating so thank you all for keeping me on track!
    It’s been a big week for me especially with the new job and I would normally have resorted to living in the biscuit tin or definitely in the vicinity of the pantry. But I have really shocked myself in that I don’t really have the urge anymore to gorge on my previously staple carbs. Who is this woman I have become? TBH I fear daily that the carb monster will return but for now I am revelling in great blood sugar results (did you all hear me whoop the other day when I saw 4.2)? The scales are moving down and when they waiver I am very philosophical about it rather than having a hissy fit.
    I had coffee with a neighbour the other day and she asked me if I had lost weight since Christmas and how. She practically collapsed and asked me if I would coach her and help her as she is so desperate for both her and her husband to lose weight and improve their various aches and pains. I spent a couple of hours with her going over the basics as she made copious notes. I’m going back on Thursday for an update. I guess I’ve got myself another job!

I keep thinking of you Wendleg and hoping you are having a great time. Bryla, I often get stuck for inspiration and then sit and browse the recipes and wonder why I ever did get stuck. My plates are always full of the yummiest food and I am imagining the good it is doing to my body. I no longer weigh my food but will if the scales stall. I am MUCH better at portion control and also feel full sooner. It’s amazing!
    Just wanted you all to know I think of you as fellow warriors and you are all doing a great job! KOKO. Kim

• posted by QueenHLK
    on

Hello All.

I’m starting tomorrow and want to get my weight under control. Years of yo-yo dieting have left me unhealthy and miserable. This year I want to do something about it. Have a wedding to go to in summer and don’t want to be the fat one there. I would love any hints and tips for a great first week. Planning to eat a late lunch (300 cal) and then dinner (400 cal) with 100cal for whole milk for tea and coffee. Does this sound OK? What do people do for lunch at work (not a massive salad fan yet, but want to work on this, can’t have nuts)? Not got masses of support at home so could do with some here, everyone seems so lovely. 😊

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hello Team! (I do feel like you are all on my team, and I’m certainly on yours). Kim – I too fear that the carb monster might be lurking around the next corner ready to mug me, but at least now we know to look out for it. You must be doing everything right if you’re inspiring others to give this all a go! I ate out last night and had a nice steak, with a very sad salad (more of a garnish really), but enjoyed it greatly and felt really relaxed and able to concentrate on enjoying good company- a couple of weeks back I was so nervous about my first meal out and how I would cope, but you all told me it would be okay, and of course, it was. I haven’t had to face a challenge like Phoenix’s yet (don’t think I would have seen that sort of discard with all that carbage temptation) and I’m inspired by the prospect that I might one day be planning an exit strategy too! Really hope your daughter felt positive after her exam, Phoenix – nervewracking for both of you.
    RedRiding – you are playing a blinder! So delighted for you. That is an extraordinary discard after a month. You got me thinking about the fact that last week was a real dip in my activity levels while my walking companion was out of action (thanks for the kind mention of the happy recovery, Yowzer). However, I have now crossed the 1 stone discard line. Whoop!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions about food. I will definitely be trying the shredded white cabbage, Sunny B. I do love crispy kale, but don’t always get organised in time for baking things – my oven takes about 40 minutes to reach a temperature that could be considered warm, let alone hot, so a bit of planning is required. Have also given spring greens the oil and salt baking treatment – yum! A sprinkle of chinese 5-spice and it’s just like takeaway crispy seaweed, which I love. I bought a mini waffle maker yesterday, with the intention of making some chaffles with veg in them for a change.
    QueenHLK – nice to meet you! Everyone here is so supportive and full of wise advice. Take advantage of it! I feel that I am posting rather a lot, but it really does help me to feel less isolated with this WOE and keep me on track. There is lots of advice already out there, but I know how much it meant to me to get a personal response when I started posting. I can’t offer much advice about lunch at work – I am lucky that I work from home quite a bit, and have fallen into the pattern of doing a 24hr fast on days when I am out all day. Your plan sounds good to me, and I think you will adjust it to suit you as learn how your body responds. Other folks are much more experienced than me, but my personal experience is that the first week was the toughest because of the physical and psychological adjustment. I did feel decidedly odd for a few days – not ill, just odd. But it passed, and then I felt amazing!. Definitely keep your fluids up and get some extra salt. If you are at all comfortable with technology, I would say do find an app to help you track calories and macros – I couldn’t have done without it. I use Fat Secret, but there are other options like MyFitness Pal. I love the charts it produces that show my progress over time – stops me obsessing about change over a few days and shows be the bigger picture. I also use an app called Body Measurement which logs all my inches and tracks indicators like BMI, Waist to Hip Ratio and Body Fat. Otherwise, write everything down and hold yourself accountable. As people advise time and again, try not to focus just on the scales. I have found that browsing all the posts on these forums is a real education and inspiration, but do remind yourself not to compare yourself against others’ progress, however tempting it is. We are all so different, with different health profiles and personal challenges. You are doing this for you and no one else. Lots of people in my life have said “Oh, I couldn’t do what you’re doing” and my reply is that they certainly could if they wanted to. Be kind to yourself and know there are loads of people here who will be cheering you on and will have faith in you even if you are having a tough day/week. I found it all a bit overwhelming at the beginning, but it absolutely does get easier. Keep us posted and more power to your elbow! xx

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

Great job on conquering the eating out Bryla. It’s crazy what we worry about in hindsight but the worry is very real at the time. That salad sounds a bit of a fail but all hail the steak!
    QueenHLK, welcome and I echo all that Bryla has said, this is a great place to get sound advice and motivation and is the reason behind how far I have come on my journey. As for ideas for lunch, my go to was always taking a portion of left overs from the previous evening’s meal, even factoring that into the making of said meal. If I make a lasagne for example ( aubergine ‘sheets’ instead of pasta of course), I’d hive off a portion for the next day’s lunch before serving. Otherwise I do a fridge raid, cherry tomatoes, halloumi, goats cheese,antipasto, cucumber sticks, olives, hummus (not too much) etc etc and then take a separate tub with Greek yoghurt and a few frozen blueberries. Whatever I could shoehorn into my calories when I was strictly counting. Small cans of tuna were a great standby supplemented by whatever I could dig out of the fridge. I’m also a fan of a can of sardines but I may be alone in that! Another idea is to make up a batch of soup and take that in a thermos if there is no microwave. Take a small tub of feta or grated cheese or a spoon of cream to float on top to help fill you up. Start hunting out recipes on this site and diet doctor.com and you’ll be amazed what you can eat in your allowance. You’ve got this QueenHLK and we’ve got your back! Kim

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Well I had never heard of Chaffles but have just impulse bought a waffle maker! They sound delicious! I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth for puddings so it will mainly be used for savoury cooking until it gets relegated to the back of the cupboard! lol. Any recipe ideas gratefully received!
    You are all a great help, I often pop by to read comments and they are really helpful. Weigh day tomorrow for me, hoping for 3lbs that will put me in the new stone zone I am chasing! Will let you know in the morning. Trying to way only once a week.
    My husband was craving a curry last night but I made the right choices, Sizzling Shashlik chicken with tomato and onions, no rice or bread, I did have a poppadum though, really enjoyed it.
    Will be back tomorrow with my weigh in at the end of week 4. Good luck to you all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome QueenHLK, you have already been given some excellent, sound advice by others here, on ways to manage taking your first step on the way of eating. Feel free to ask questions or seek advice whenever you feel the need.

All of us here remember how daunting it was to take that first step and how counter intuitive it felt to turn on it’s head, the low fat/high carb ethos we have been fed for decades. It will become second nature though. Meanwhile shout out anytime you need clarification or if you’re feeling daunted and in need if support and someone here will respond.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hola everybody ! I have just spent a happy few minutes reading through the latest posts ! Great post Bryla ! You sound very focused and your advice is sound and inspiring.
    Sorry I can’t respond to you all individually as I am on my phone but I am so pleased you are all feeling enthused and motivated.
    We are really enjoying Valencia and the Central Market is wonderful. We stocked up on lots of green veg and salad and cooked a lovely meal of fresh tuna and asparagus. We have kale too . Today we found a lovely Burmese restaurant and had a gorgeous tasting menu with oysters and kimchi,chicken satay, Malaysian fish curry with tamarind. I dodged the rice and had extra veg but did taste the lime cheese cake. Interestingly I can have a spoonful but do not feel compelled to scoff the lot as I would have done in the past ! I instinctively fear the ill effects now. I have also found the speciality horchata made with tiger nuts but without sugar..same with the hot chocolate 😉 Definitely no churros !
    Wishing you all a brilliant week. Thanks Sunny for looking after everyone and I will pop in when I can xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi QueenHLK,

One tip for easy to pack lunches is mini Spanish omelettes. – Or pastry less quiche would be another way to think of them.

I have some flexible muffin trays, that I use to make a batch. You can mix up to options by stir frying a range of veg, pop them in the bottom, top off with egg mixture and pop in the oven. – Can be eaten cold or heated in a microwave if you have access to one at work.

By the way, fried sliced radishes as a base are delicious. totally different taste to raw radishes.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi WENDY,lovely to hear Valencia news! * waving*
    Hi JGWEN Thanks for the mini quiche recipe,also like the idea of trying them with fried radishes 😋😋😋😋
    Hi and thanks to everyone,some lovely reads here and very useful too,like GILL33UK said💜💜💜💜💜
    Hi and Welcome QUEENHLK 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 X

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, I have been way off piste the last few days due to a nasty cold, and reverting to some childhood sickness comfort foods. Haven’t weighed myself in days, but clothes are still fitting the same. If anyone has suggestions for easy things to eat/drink when you have a sore throat/stuffy nose, they would be much appreciated as I’m still not feeling super and now trying to fight off a sinus infection. Only good news is that I still have time to get rid of it before my round of ear testing on the 26th, which would have to be cancelled if I had a cold then (also for those that remember I was struggling with how to get to the appointment, I was lucky to have found an aquaintance heading into town that day so I can get a lift with her – yay!). Hopefully getting back on track today as I managed a 24 hour fast and then made a broccoli crust pizza for dinner. Will try to catch up on reading posts and seeing how everyone is doing.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Wk5D1 – I did it, new stone zone for me! Managed to lose 4lbs so now 13st 12lbs, 15lbs gone!
    Made my ‘Chaffles’ last night, garlic bread style! Very easy, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, a clove of finely chopped and mixed herbs. Had it with Chilli con Carne, felt slightly naughty as it is quite bready if that’s even a word! I have made one for lunch today without the garlic and herbs and cooked some bacon and salad, looking forward to it already!
    Sorry you have been poorly Arcticfox, hope you are soon on the mend. Wendy enjoy your break, it sounds great.
    Best of luck all, keep posting, it keeps me going!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you have been poorly articfox. Could I suggest scrambled eggs with smoked salmon? Both nice and soft, so not too rough on a sore throat. So pleased you have managed to make transport arrangements for your hospital appointment. Don’t panic too much about having been off piste for awhile, you’ll soon be back on track again.

Gill, huge congrats for breaking into a new stone zone 🎉😁. That’s a great milestone and at the rate you’re going, you’ll be reporting breaking in to the next one in no time. The chaffles sound really tasty and providing they’re counted into your daily cals and carbs, there’s no need to feel guilty about enjoying them, so chaffle away!

I don’t have any personal progress to report right now, so will just wish a good BSD day to one and all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hola again ! We got a bus out to Albufera today and did a really fun boat trip with a group of Spanish people ! It was relaxing and gorgeous to contemplate the expanse of water..rice fields and ducks ! I enjoyed a sea food lunch..yum and hubby had paella which was apparently very good too ! We had a long walk back through the Turia gardens…which run through the city . Hubby confesses he feels a bit sluggish though !
    Articfox my go to when I feel a sore throat is threatening is a golden latte. Any non dairy milk whizzed up with turmeric and ginger root and warmed. It always works for me and has inflammatory benefits. Hope you feel better soon xx
    Well done Gill33 ! That must feel great ! So pleased for you !
    Lots of love to everyone. Xx

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Hello again! I hope everyone is up for another week!

I’ve enjoyed reading all your updates.
    Inspiring meal suggestions! I didn’t know about chaffles and now I’m thinking of buying a waffle maker! 🙂

Today is W6D2. I’m on a plateau since about one week. But at least the diet has been easier on me the past couple of days compared to last week when I had a few rough days with hunger pangs and headaches.

Your vacation sounds lovely, Wendy! Enjoy!

And to all of you – good luck for another week!

• posted by AmzTheBeautiful
    on

I’m still around. Just had family emergencies back to back. But I’m still dedicated to getting back in track. Ordering my goal dress Friday to keep me inspired.

• posted by mumofStig
    on

Tuesday was my weigh in day, but I forgot to post my results. I lost another couple of pounds which means I’ve lost 11lbs since I started 5 weeks ago. Weight loss is slowing up now, compared with the start – it’s slow but steady.
    Most important is my body shape is changing. I’m losing inches from my waist, belly and backside – but seem to be keeping my bust. RESULT lol.. I’ve never done that before, that’s for sure 🙂
    The only thing I struggle with is drinking enough water that I don’t get headaches. Just so many trips to the loo…..
    Good luck with the rest of the week 😉

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Mumof Stig,
    I have found that the headaches can be linked to salt intake. You do have to have more salt with this way of eating as our bodies store water to process carbs and when we cut out the carbs it releases the water. When our kidneys are releasing water they also release electrolytes. So you need extra salt to replace them.

I have had a couple of pounding headaches since Christmas. I stepped off the wagon for a week and had more carbs than I normally have (but less carbs than I used to have on a regular basis) . My weight shot up, as it does after a period of eating carbs, and dropped again as I dropped the carbs but I woke up with a splitting headache on a couple of days and drinking water didn’t fix it. Extra salt was the solution.

I used to also get a lot of headaches from lack of caffeine. When on a carb heavy diet I needed coffee to give me some get up and go. When I started moving on to fasting the periods of not having any coffee (cos I don’t like black coffee) caused headaches that cleared up after a coffee. – My coffee intake is half of what it used to be so I don’t seem to have the same problems.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all!
    I’ve been on this WOE now since Jan 02 (first week was only dropping all the sugar – no calorie restriction), and my weight has dropped from 92 to 84 kg. I’m amazed! Had a little slow down around third week, but it picked up again.
    I’m in the mid-40s, not diabetic but am following this to reduce my risk of getting diabetic (have had a few high readings), and mainly want to improve my health by loosing weight which has been very difficult the last 10 years since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. So, I’m happily surprised that this is working so well.
    In addition to weight loss, I’m also noticing many off-scale improvements. Was just reflecting on that my skin is feeling and looking healthier. Have “heavy” eye lids (if you know what I mean) and they seem to have tightened up. I also sleep better, and stomach feels calm (can get quire disrupted with too much carbs).
    Am a little nervous now as I’m going on holiday next week for one week to the sun. Don’t want to spoil the good results but know that temptations will be all around.
    Have read on here about many of you that have succeeded well when traveling, so that is very inspirational. Am also going to ger right back to it when I get back home. Wish me luck.
    Have a lovely week!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to have you with us Olive1 and that is a great scales result. Some lovely non-scales results there too, you must be really pleased with your progress to date and indeed, you should be proud. I too find that carbs now interfere with my digestive system, making me bloated, uncomfortable and feeling decidedly jaded.

It is daunting venturing on a holiday for the first time, but don’t panic, providing you stick to the principles of this way of eating, any gain will be minimal and you’ll soon get that dealt with on your return. Of course, you are likely to go ‘off piste’ on occasion whilst away, but as long as it is occasional and not a huge week long blow out, you’ll probably be surprised how little difference it will make on the scales. My recommendation is to go away and enjoy you vacation … have a wonderful relaxing time.

Please keep posting and letting us know how You’re getting on.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Thanks SunnyB! I definitely will enjoy and report after.
    Take care!

• posted by mumofStig
    on

Thanks JGwen for the tip about extra salt, I’ll give it a try 🙂

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

After dealing with everything, I am now down with a cold. Curse you, compromised immune system. My hope is to be back to activity on Saturday and work hard for the next eight weeks as a mini goal

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi Olive1 and everyone else! Well, I’ve been in sympathy with ArcticFox and Amz with a stinking cold the last few days. Just loved the golden latte recipe, Wendleg – just what the doctor ordered. Thankyou! Have enjoyed hearing about some of the delicious food you’ve been enjoying on hols too. Last day of week 5 for me and a smidge over 2lb gone this week, which I believe is perfectly respectable at this point, if modest compared to many people. I no longer seem to have any clothes in my size and I have caught sight of what might be my waist a few times, though my waist measurement isn’t really moving.
    Reading the forums last night I realised that in focusing on keeping my carbs below 20g within the 800 cal limit and being reassured that I am staying in ketosis, I had missed that I was consuming way too much protein for 0.6 x my target weight in kg (which seems to be the gold standard). I really hope I haven’t been sabotaging myself. With 20g or lower carbs, 32 g protein as a guide, I’m going to have to work much harder to increase healthy fats (or start swigging olive oil from the bottle). Can’t really think how, apart from eating a lot more nuts. I haven’t really understood whether the protein is a problem if I’m maintaining moderate ketosis, but it seems like a good idea to go for the optimum balance of macros. Any thoughts, friends?
    Wishing everyone a good day and congrats on all the recent successes.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t panic about your protein intake, Bryla. Many of us do not drill down that far and still successfully lose, just as you are doing at present. I think as you are still seeing a steady loss and are staying in ketosis, there is no great need to worry too much about protein levels.
    Personally, I have always work just on calories and carbs and still successfully got to my target weight, just as many others have. I am working towards regaining that status again and am seeing that goal creep closer by counting just cals and carbs again.
    Whatever you decide to do though, I know you will achieve your goals. Hope you and Amz manage to shake off those colds and will be fighting fit again soon.
    Have a good BSD weekend … and Happy Valentine’s Day everyone … Big hugs 🤗😗

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Bryla, I’m with SunnyB that the main focus is carbs and calories. On protein, Dr MM states that “the standard recommendations for protein are around 45g a day for a woman, and 55g per day for a man” (p140 8 week BSD). Other sources seem to vary between 0.6 and I g per kg of target or existing weight – so quite a wide range. JGwen has pointed to research on this on the Hints thread, and I think favours 0,6 – 0,8 g per kg target weight. No doubt she will join the discussion!

My own experience was that I had some noticeable hair-thinning after a couple of months on the BSD, which I think was linked to insufficient protein. When I returned to Dr MM’s recommendation of 45g, the problem resolved itself.

And many congrats on all the progress you are making, Bryla!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I just had a huge brain lapse today. Was in a hurry to buy a quick lunch to take home to me and sick daughter. Picked up fresh tortellini and didn’t realise until it was on my plate that I was actually eating PASTA 😊. There’s what a bit of stress can do for you.
    Anyway, it’s eaten and that is that! Must not obsess about it.
    On the protein note – like others here I have found that focusing on the keeping the carbs low is the key. As long as that is working (i.e weight is coming off), and I can eat a varied range of food with lots of veg, I’m not too bothered about protein and fat. If I get to a point where I plateau, then I would start looking into the details.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ooops! It’s easily done Olive, but as you say, pointless stressing about it …. chalk it up and move on. In the scheme of things, it’s unlikely to have much impact. Just get back to the new normal and all will be fine.

Good to see you here again Caronl. The hair thinning link to low protein is interesting though, might take a look at my protein levels and see of that’s something I need to tweak ….though I doubt it will need increasing.

Some people like to drill down and analys the macros, but I think for most of us, keeping it simple is key to being able to continue with this way of eating long term.

Hope everyone is enjoying Valent8ne’s Day.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Bryla,
    An easy way to increase calories from fat is to think about melting butter over your veg, or salad dressings.
    Like the others I don’t think you need to be too exact about protein levels. Especially in your early days when you are getting into the swing of this way of eating. As some one else said, I did post a link to research that the optimal for a women is in the range 0.6 to 0.8g per kilo of target weight, but the first focus is cutting out carbs. Insulin is the main controller of all the processes of how our body responds to food.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the reassurance about protein. I really thought I might have missed something huge while I was patting myself on the back for getting the hang of things! There is just so much information and experience in these forums that the original books don’t go anywhere near and it’s too easy for me to feel like I should be able to absorb and implement it all straight away. I like the saying ‘don’t let the best be the enemy of the good’, so I’m going to remind myself of that.
    Nonetheless, I did pull back on protein successfully yesterday to a better ratio, but I’m going to bear that 45g in mind Caron – would rather not put my hair at risk if I don’t have to, even if it take me a bit longer to reach the goal. Thoroughly enjoyed fried radishes and bacon, plus green veg last night. Somebody mentioned fried radishes as a base a few days ago and it inspired me to think about what else I could do with them – found a simple recipe on DietDoctor. Really enjoyable texture for me – not just like potato, but close enough! Different taste once cooked too.
    Chaffles are a work in progress. Will be trying again with greater caution to reduce mess! Either my large egg was too large, or my mini waffle maker was too mini. Tasted good, though, and that’s what counts. Chuffed I have widened my recipe repertoire this week already.
    Olive – I could absolutely imagine doing something similar while on automatic pilot! Hope your daughter’s on the mend.
    Wishing everyone a great weekend!

on

For the most part, I am better… a little nausea here and there. About to try out a workout video… have shopped for BSD friendly food and plan to cook ahead of time like I used to… things are okay right now… I really look forward to this fresh start… I keep saying this over and over, it’s tiring… so let’s work hard together!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to have you back and all fired up, Amz. Don’t push yourself too much on the exercise if you’re still a little under the weather. As long as you’re back on the BSD foods and with us, we’ll do our best to keep you going in the right direction.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m here..checking in..our last night in Valencia which we have really enjoyed. Good to have some sun and mild temperatures.
    So pleased to see you with us Amz ! I always worry when you go quiet ! Well done everyone for staying on track and thanks especially to Sunny for holding the fort .
    Early flight tomorrow . I have indulged in eating and drinking choc (this is Spain after all !) but overall have loved the abundant fish,veg and salad. Hubby has stocked up on his beloved stinky Cabrales cheese ! So many buns,cakes and pastries, churros and fartons everywhere . Fortunately they hold no appeal so take heart anyone who still fears the carb monsters. They do retreat !
    Lots of love everyone. Sorry I can’t reply to you individually until I have a proper keyboard ! Xx

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

I was able to complete the workout video this morning, but it was really hard! I also successfully stayed within my 800 calories and ate all BSD foods. I need to up my water intake! Night!

• posted by Capricornia
    on

Hello! End of week 4. Blood sugar seems stable at 6.2, with no meds, which is great. I was going to be boasting about losing an entire stone so far, but have somehow managed to gain three pounds in the last two days. Apparently this is quite normal for this stage – going up and down a bit. Dieting is such an emotional rollercoaster and I am so desperate to lose the visceral fat and see results so it’s difficult not to panic or feel disheartened when it goes up.
    Anyway, four weeks down and four to go. And just as importantly I am changing how I eat (I used to just graze all day and I have stopped snacking) and what I eat (now mostly vegan, conscious of portion size). Been stuck indoors due to the storm I became more aware of how I have stopped eating as an emotional response to boredom. Sorting out your head is definitely a major part of this WoE.
    Thank you to everyone posting about their experiences on the diet, good and bad. It’s helpful to know what’s happening for people on this plan.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Amz, huge well done on both the exercise and controlled eating. Hope you slept well and I know you’ll be on to increasing hydration today.
    California, I feel your frustration. I too have blipped upwards again over the last two days. Am holding on to the fact I feel thinner, jeans are looser and hope to see that reflected on the scales again soon. You’ll be reporting that entire stone gone very soon and meanwhile, you have your non-scales victories to be proud of … excellent bloods results. You are right about needing to have your head in the right place, as it’s all to easy to let negative thoughts and emotions knock you off course. I’m sure many here have been hit by that one, so well done on getting a handle on your emotional eating, It’s a huge win in and of itself.
    Wendy will be back with us very soon, resuming her inspirational hosting on this vital thread. Thank you for putting up with me holding the fort in her absence.

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Morning all, weight going well. Now 1.6 Kg from target with two weeks to the target event, my cousin’s wedding.
    I find I really struggle on the days when the weight goes up. I know it is going down overall and that daily variation is more to do with water in the system or how late I ate dinner. But apparently my emotions are not tied to rational reasoning…….would be so easy if they were! I just try to focus on the feeling of my clothes being looser than a few days before, the stairs being a little easier to climb, etc.
    NSV during the week, a colleague at work asking if i had lost weight because I was looking really well. Result!
    I have a trip away to stay with friends next week for a couple of days to negotiate and have decided not to worry too much about about it. Just try to avoid too many carbs without being rude.
    Anyone got any tips for stopping being permanently cold? Winter was the wrong time to try this way of eating 😂
    KOKO

• posted by Bryla
    on

So many positive steps, Amz! Cheering you on. Definitely second the not pushing yourself hard if you’re under the weather advice.
    Total empathy with you too, Capricornia. It took me more than four weeks to shift the first stone too and I was getting so impatient. I have found this quite hard because I’m so much more aware of my body now – previously I just buried my head in the sand and avoided the mirror, so I didn’t feel too self-conscious. Now my critical eye is drawn to fat around my middle. That stone did go and now looking towards the next mini-goal and adjusting to the inevitably more sedate rate slowly. I just looked at my average weekly discard since the beginning – so 16lb over 35 days which is 3.11lb a week. That removes the ups and downs from consideration for me and I realise that’s got to be pretty great for any WOE or diet out there. Others may discard more faster, but I don’t think that means we should be any less proud of ourselves.
    Willingly consumed (and very much enjoyed) sprouts for the first time in my life last night. This WOE has been full of surprises for me! No idea what to suggest PhoenixB, apart from base layers. I’m in them every winter, regardless of weight because I’m always a chilly mortal. Tights under trousers and a vest under my top is situation normal for me. Also warm socks (or two pairs), because if my feet are cold then I am cold all over. Just realised I’m sitting here still in the woolly hat I wore for this morning’s walk…
    You have been brilliant, SunnyB. Thank you!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Phoenix your doing great and isn’t a boost when people notice and knowledge our efforts? It’s relatively easy when visiting friends. I’d mention you’re avoiding spuds, rice, pasta etc and then say something like, ‘just give me some extra veggies and I’ll be fine’. You’ll be at your target weight for the target date for sure. As for being cold all the time, I guess Bryla is right about layering. Perhaps get some thermals, I bought some from Amazon for my OH to wear when he’s working outside and he says they’re brilliant.
    Bryla, it’s easy to be over self-critical, so good move averaging out your discard for the weeks on the BSD. You’re doing brilliantly and you’re right not to compare your rate of discard with that of others. We’re all unique and discard at differing rates, the good news is that we all get to our goal eventually. Good idea setting mini goals, I’ve always found that really helps with motivation.
    Thank you for your kind words, but I’ve just heard Wendy’s flight was cancelled, so you may have to put up with my hosting a little longer!

on

Ugh, the first two days of my second are always so painful. I’ve been whimpering and resting most of the day. I am trying to do FB Fit and thankfully today’s video is an arm workout that is paced so I think I will try to complete it before bed.
    On being cold, I have had low circulation since my coma in 2013 so low temperature literally hurts, especially in my toes and fingers. I always layer, wear cardigans, and snuggle under fleece blankets. Drinking hot tea and having soup helps me a lot too.
    Thanks for all the well-wishes! 207.6 (2/15)—->206.2(2/16)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Keep going Amz, you know it’ll get easier as the days tick by and if you can’t manage to exercise one day, don’t push yourself.

I’m a bit peeved, as although the scales are saying nothing much has changed, my small jeans are telling a different story. Hopefully the scales will catch up soon

As far as I know Wendy got home this morning, so she will likely be kicking off a new weekly thread in the next 24hrs. Be sure to keep an eye out for that appearing and jump on for another week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Crikey , I certainly did not expect our return from Spain to be such a challenge !! The last time we were in Spain we had to return to SW France by bus because of strike action in France and also train cancellations as a result of flood damage. We were pretty philosophical about it and just relieved to find a way home .
    Well we turned up at Valencia airport yesterday and after an anxious wait, were told that our plane could not land because of heavy fog and the decision was made to cancel our flight
    . Ooh er ….talk about déjà vu !!!.! Thank goodness for the internet and mobile phones …plan B !!! It entailed a 4 hour train journey from Valencia to Barcelona and a transfer to the coach station where we caught the 10pm bus to Toulouse arriving at 4.30 am . Two very thorough checks of luggage and travel documents at both the Spanish and French borders as part of the package !! We did get in to Toulouse on time though and got the Shuttle bus over to the airport (where we had left the car ) One bonus was that the Toulouse ringroad was not yet busy at 6am and we were able to get through without any snarl ups ( that would not have been true at 7am !!)
    So we finally got home after a 24 hour marathon !! Pretty bleary eyed and a bit smelly ( sorry 😉 My strategy when travelling is to fast as I just find it simpler rather than trying to find suitable foods. So that was one extended fast !! A lot of black coffee and water probably contributed to my lack of sleep too !

This isn’t the Positives Thread but I tell myself it could have been a lot worse. Our cancelled flight was reimbursed ( well will be in 7 days we were told) and although we incurred extra costs with our alternative arrangements it could have been a lot more . We also got to spend time in Valencia’s North train station which is quite beautiful. I even found a pair of bargain earrings in a shop in the station ( those who know me are aware of my earring habit 😉 !!

I need to catch up on sleep but wanted to set up the new weekly thread now I have a proper keyboard ! No more trips planned now until April and only in France so that should be easy shouldn’t it ??? Hmmm we’ll see !
    I hope SunnyB will continue to help me host the weekly thread.She is great isn’t she ? I will pop over and set up the new one now xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Glad you had a good time in Valencia, Wendy and that you’ve made it home safely after that ordeal.
    SunnyB, the result of my cold and going off piste a bit was a 1.5kg gain, but I too feel that the scales may not be telling the full story. I was wearing some corduroys today that I hadn’t worn since before my cold and they seem to be fitting a bit looser. In fact, I had to hike them up every now and again. So yes, hopefully the scales will catch up for us both.
    I managed two 24 hour fasts last week and am in the last few hours of a 36+ hour one now. My body has adjusted well to the fasting and I find it quite easy to transition between eating and fasting now. I even walked 5km round trip to and from the local home improvement warehouse while fasted today and felt really good doing it. I always thought in my athletic days that I was quite good at burning fat as my natural endurance is very high, but always thought that I had to exercise lots to get into fat burning mode (of course because I was always told by the sports nutritionists to eat 65-70% carbs, so no wonder I had a difficut time getting there). Whenever I got there though, I always felt good and that I could just keep exercising forever. I remember some Saturdays I used to go fencing for 5 hours. At the beginning of the session I would struggle to do well, but towards the end when everyone else was exhausted, I would hit my stride and start winning bout after bout. So this makes me wonder if my body really does prefer to burn fat as its fuel. I may try a bit of an experiment with very low carb/high fat in the near future to see how I go.

Please log in or register to post a reply.