We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mr Black
    on

Hi folks,
    names Bob, age 58, grossly overweight and a recently diagnosed with type 2. Really need to shift some lard, reverse the diabetes and hold off any future health problems associated with type 2.
    Wish me luck…
    Bob

• posted by LLFT
    on

Hi Bob,
    Congratulations on starting this diet! I am new, too, I only started on Wednesday, so I can’t really offer you any amazing insight on what lies ahead for you on this journey, but I do wish you the very best of luck, will-power and determination.
    I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 7 years ago and it never went away. I didn’t really take it that seriously, to be honest, until lifestyle changes meant reduced exercise and slow but steady weight increase. I was put on Metformin about 6 months ago and I have decided I don’t want to be on meds for the rest of my life – I am only in my 30s and slightly overweight (according to BMI etc), so if I’m already on meds now, what hope will I have as I get older?
    I wish you every success!
    Leanne

• posted by Mr Black
    on

Thanks Leanne, and the same success to you too.

Bob

• posted by STILLCRAZY
    on

Hello all. This is my first effort at taking part in the forum. Just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, what a shock!
    I am a tad overweight but otherwise really healthy, so immediately bought the 8 week blood sugar diet book. Read it cover to cover and got strait on to the regime. I have to say that some of the recipes at the end are so awful, I would rather eat my own foot than use them. However, it is not difficult to adapt to this diet and I am especially encouraged as I have lost 7 lbs in my first week.
    STILLCRAZY

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, stillcrazy, I’m very charmed by your username! Welcome to our community ๐Ÿ™‚ You
    will find many of us here that have never referred to the recipe book or eating plan
    outlined in Mosley’s books. With next to no effort you can modify your own recipes by
    learning to weigh and measure your food, and more importantly count carbs. By doing
    so you will soon establish how insulin resistant you may be, and adjust your carb levels
    to achieve a rate of weight loss that is acceptable to you. Help and support is always
    at hand, so just hop on to any thread that resonates with you. We will make you feel
    very welcome!
    Very best wishes,
    Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Stillcrazy – brilliant weight loss in your first week. I did exactly the same as Allie and never referred to the recipe book. It was much easier to just take out the bad carbs from what we normally ate – and I am sure that’s what has helped me stay in this long term. Husband will sometimes add rice or potatoes but mostly eats the same meals as I do.

• posted by STILLCRAZY
    on

alliecat, thank you for wonderful welcome. I hope that I am posting this correctly as this is one more new thing that I have to learn. Reading the real life anecdotes of other dieters is really interesting and being part of this forum does give me a sense of inclusion. At the outset I could not envisage a life without carbs, washed down with copious amounts of wine and fully expected feelings of abject misery when I gave those two delights the boot.
    As it turns out I’m feeling great and losing weight without tears. Win! Win!
    STILLCRAZY

• posted by STILLCRAZY
    on

KrysiaD you said one thing that has really brought it all home to me and that is “long term”. It reminds me that this is not a slimming diet, it is a diet for a healthy, medication free life. It is up to me to make it as healthy, enjoyable and interesting as possible so that I can easily stick with the plan.
    As pre-diabetic I am not on any medication at present so it is my goal to stay this way.
    STILLCRAZY

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Stillcrazy – that is exactly how I approached it. I knew it wouldn’t work if I had to cook different food to my husband (who has no weight or blood sugar problems) so I looked at how I could make it as healthy, enjoyable and interesting as possible for both of us so I could easily stick with the plan.

It’s so good that you are looking at it now – instead of waiting (as I did) until your pancreas has been severely damaged. My big regret is that I didn’t cut the bad carbs and sugar out of my diet years ago. I absolutely love the food – especially as I can eat more of it now I am on maintenance.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hooray, STILLCRAZY! You have just sailed over a big hurdle in understanding
    that this is a way of life (WOL), not just another quick fix fad to achieve rapid
    weight loss. One of the hardest things to communicate to new members is
    that in time you simply don’t have any interest in the bad carbs/sugar any longer
    so that it’s no hardship to avoid them ๐Ÿ™‚ Tastes do change, as long as you don’t
    return to eating them. I am just 1 of many maintainers here that feel our lives
    have been given back to us with this way of eating (WOE), and it represents
    freedom that I would never imagined possible prior to the BSD. It took me 17
    years to gain 148lbs, and a mere 10 months to rid myself of that burden. I’m
    looking forward to getting to know you and learning what your personal
    goals are. Anything is possible with these tools in hand….I’m very excited to
    be a few days short of 1 year of maintenance, and I’m afraid there will be a
    sonic boom heard across 3 continents when I reach that goal ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be
    looking in on you on your thread, and celebrating every lb. lost with you!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.