Need to Get Back on the BSD Horse

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Hi all,

This is my first post and I’ve been inspired by all the great progress people have been making and the wonderful support every is giving each other.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the end of August 2016 and decided I needed to start the BSD process. I started off OK and lost some weight……well more weight than I’d ever lost (4kg in first week). However, I always had a problem sticking to the 800 calories and I’m finding it hard to stick to it in general. I’ve been off sick with man-flu and then half-term meant I went back to my old ways of eating badly.

So now I’m determined to try and actually stick to 800 cals. I don’t understand how people don’t feel hungry on the diet ๐Ÿ™ When my resolve weakens, I think I should go down to the 5:2 instead, but I read about everyone’s results and think I should stick to 800 cals for as long as I can. I’ve lost 10kg so far in two months, most of which was lost in the first month but I need to lose another 62kg in order for me to be at a ‘healthy’ BMI. So I have a long way to go!

So now I need to try harder and keep going.

Thanks for listening ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

I know just how you feel. I have finished my first week. Not sure how much I have lost because my scales are in the fritz. Have you tried komjac noodles, because they really fill you up if you are hungry, and even if you use two packets they have no calories, and you can add the lowest possible calorie sauce. I also tried making soup and added a pack of cauliflower rice which I got reduced in Tesco and it really thickened it up, far more than adding florets and then blending. Good luck!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Hi TeddyBear,

I hear you. I did really well in the first two weeks of Fast800 and then fell off the horse royally in week 3 when I went on a business trip. Back on it now for week 4 but am starting over in some ways as I pretty much regained all the losses from the first two weeks in the third one!

I don[t know if you made it into week 2 of the Fast800 but what I would say from my experience is that:

* I only started to feel less hungry (and actually ok on 800 kcals) in week two – your body DOES get used to it, have faith in this

* In my case, I had been used to eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted it, so I never allowed myself to get hungry. So feeling hungry was a real challenge for me. I think you have to adapt mentally to never feeling completely stuffed (which was a frequent sensation for me) on the Fast800 and realise that this is a good thing – that to feel a little hungry is a good thing. I am trying to follow the Japanese philosophy of stopping when you are 80% full and never going beyond that. It’s not a ‘normal’ or comfortable feeling if you are used to so much more. But you body and brain do adjust in time. (I never thought I would be able to cut to most carbs but I am starting to cope a lot better and realise how crap I feel when I do eat them, even I still miss them)

* Not all calories fill me up the same. I have found that – unfortunately for my budget – smoked salmon has been the greatest source of filling-up food. Some stuff I can eat great amounts of but it never fills me up. I think it is part psychological and party fat-content related – the higher the fat content the greater the sense of fullness. So I always keep an emergency packet of smoked salmon in the fridge as a coping strategy!

* There are a number of supportive groups on here and I have found it a great sense of support for when I am struggling. I belong to the 1st October starters group on the ‘welcome to the BSD forum’ and they are a great group of people who span the global timezone. (We didn’t all start on the 1st October so don’t get hung up on that.) You might find that active participation on the forums really helps you acclimatise and cope with the challenging moments. In our group as we have all commented on how useful we have found it to have a quick public rant and have others empathise! You get some great advice back too. A lot of this journey is emotional not physical, and the importance of the mental aspect cannot be underestimated, specially if you have a lot to lose (you and me both!)

Good luck – you CAN do it. Just take it one day – and one hour if necessary – at a time.

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Hi Iwanttobeslim and Carb_Addict, I really appreciate your support on this.

Today is a new day and the end of British Summer Time ๐Ÿ™ However, I’m determined to stick to the 800 cals today.

I think I need to focus on the positives; this new way of eating has been the most successful ‘diet’ I’ve ever done. I do realise that I can survive on a lot less food than I thought. I feel that it’s such a breakthrough compared to other diets where you don’t get anywhere near these sort of results and have to pay for them too (e.g. Weight Watchers)!

I’ll start off this morning with a coffee from Costa….which has the strongest coffees on the high street. I also recently discovered Laughing Cow Mini Cravings which are only 14 calories for a small cube of (fake) cheese. I find they are a great small snack for when I’m feeling a bit peckish.

Good luck for today everyone – I’m just taking it one day at a time.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Teddybear, you are in a very fortunate position. You have only just been diagnosed with diabetes. No that is not the fortunate bit, that is so sad, you are fortunate that you are one of those people who, if you stick with the diet for 8 weeks (rigidly) you can reverse your diabetes, because it has been so recently diagnosed. Really give this a go and you can save yourself years of pills, injections (I use insulin), medical problems which will prompt more pills, test for eyes, heart, kidneys, feet and on and on and on it goes. You can start over again without diabetes. Good luck and remember it is 8 weeks of your life rather than a lifetime of misery. (Although you will still need to take care after the 8 weeks).

Keep on keeping on…… and keep posting

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, thanks for the support I’ve read so many of your posts and they are so helpful.

I think getting diabetes is a blessing in disguise because it’s a wake up call to sort my health out. My parents have been telling me to lose weight for over twenty years! I’ve never lost 10kg so quickly and I know I can do it if I keep going. Suddenly getting all the doctors/hospital appointments and checkups really puts things into perspective about how serious diabetes is.

I think the support on this website is so amazing and so many lovely people ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.