My wife's weight loss has stopped

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by findme
    on

We’ve both been on the Fast 800 for almost 4 weeks. My wife, age 65, lost 10lbs up to the 12/9 but since then has not lost a pound despite sticking rigidly to the diet and checking that she is still in ketosis. In recent days she has eaten only once a day, lunch with recipe taken from the Fast800 book. She seems to be losing inches but no weight, which is dispiriting.

Can anyone explain what’s going on

• posted by JGwen
    on

Insulin doesn’t just control fat storage / burning fat. – High levels of insulin block the hormone system responsible for bone strength a building muscle. – Your wife;s body is just healing, catching up with the maintenance that it has been blocked for doing for years. This is just one of the reasons why judging progress based on the reading on the scales is not a good idea.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi findme
    Just seen your post and wanted to reassure your wife. It’s quite common to have plateaus in weight loss on this way of eating (like lots of diets, I guess.) It’s also very common for the first one to be around about week 3. My first plateau started in week 3 and lasted 2 weeks even though, like your wife, I had done everything by the book. I did one of his earlier diets – the Blood Sugar Diet 800 – but I think the Fast 800 is very similar just with updated evidence. I’ve certainly heard MM himself talking about the issue of plateaus. So, please tell your wife not to be dispirited it happens to most of us.

It’s great to hear about the initial weight loss (and the inch loss). It will continue, promise. Take care and let us know how you both go on.
    Jennie xx

n.b.
    I’m an older woman so for me one of the great things about this way of eating is how much it improves your health. My BMI is now in the healthy range, my blood sugar levels are in the normal range, my BP is normal (my BP was only ever pre-high, but my husband’s was high and is now normal – no meds), my fatty liver disappeared, my cholesterol improved and my arthritic pain has pretty much disappeared. Just thought it might help, when the weight loss sticks, to think of all those other good things that are happening internally. xx

• posted by Sonz
    on

Jennie10 I’d given up, so fed up with all the Covid lockdowns ect. Then I read your post and remembered why I started. Thank you for the Kick up the backside I needed.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Sonz
    I’m really glad it helped. xx
    Post any questions any time, there are a lot of people with lots of different experience and tips on here. Also, you are always welcome to join one of the regular threads (there’s a weekly one called One Week Beginning ……which updates each week) and another called Countdown to Christmas).
    Take care and keep in touch.
    Jennie xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.