My results 3 weeks into the BloodSugarDiet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cary
    on

Hi I’m 51 and was diagnosed diabetic about 4 years ago and started on Metformin and up to 5 modified release tablets per day.
    Massive stress being carer for my wife who was terminally ill and having a high stress financial career with excess driving and time sat driving, meetings and computer time.
    I’ve tried so many diets before, but without success and my weight peaked last December when my wife died with me. I’d kept control of my weight in 2016, through moderate exercise walking my dog.
    On a recent holiday trip left me with serious gallbladder problem which left me in quite a state, being covered in sweat at just a 1/4 mile walk. Told then after scans that I have significant internal fat as well as the external, in my liver, pancreas and basically all inside me.

While off work I watched Michael Mosley’s Horizon documentary “Eat, Fast and Live Longer”. I then discovered his “Blood Sugar Diet”, and immediately bought all the books and cookbooks. Watched You-tube videos, and researched Dr Roy Taylor’s findings amongst others. At last a whole approach that is logical, backed by science and directly relevant to me !

3 weeks in now!
    I’ve stuck to between 800-1000 calories per day, with occasional days of 1500 calories and some of 400 calories. Exercise has gone up to 10000 steps average per day, mostly briskly walking. Some weights too. All my diet has been the Mediterranean diet ingredients with stir fries. I drink at least 3 litres of water per day too.

I’d targeted 12 weeks Blood Sugar Diet, and targets then to follow with a 5:2 Diet approach but with a Mediterranean diet approach. My overall goal is 50kg weight loss, or 1/3 of my starting weight. Being tall my BMI was 43!!!

11.0 kg (24lbs) lost in 3 weeks.😀 (20% of my goal)
    2inches off my waist so far.
    Weight loss is starting to slow however
    Blood sugar, at fasting, 1 hour and 2 hours after meals within non-diabetic ranges.
    Stomach and digestion much improved.
    Mental alertness much improved.
    Relaxation better
    Sleeping better.
    Hunger appeared in the first week but hardly ever now. When hunger appears I eat a little and it goes away. Also water helps if it’s a mental hunger rather than a physical hunger.

The thing that I’ve found and learned personally is that the process of dieting and regaining health is a mental one.
    Be sure you set your goals and objectives clearly. Write them down or draw them out, what the “end” you is like.
    Realise that it is a lifelong commitment, to healthy living.
    Look at your achievements daily, and think of your goals. (Especially in times when you or your results are struggling)
    A relapse is only a temporary thing. It’s your goals own them and get on again with your plan.

I’ve never posted anywhere before but I just thought of sharing and the support of this seems really great !!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Cary, really sad about your wife. You have had a lot to deal with an have done so well. Can I just say we are not diabetics, we are people who have diabetes. Do not let the illness define who you are.

I agree with your summary of diet and regaining health, especially the lifelong commitment. If we cannot commit to our own health and well being we are pretty dumb – though lots of people don’t, can’t be bothered or, more likely, don’t know how. I count my achievements and plan to improve and I count a relapse as being human.

Keep sharing and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Snoop
    on

Really sorry to hear about your wife, Carey. That must have been a very difficult time. And your own recent ill health to deal with too.

You sound like you’re making good progress on the diet, though, and you’re already seeing the benefits. Thanks for sharing your story and ideas. Very inspirational.

And yes, keep on keeping on. Good luck.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Welcome to the group Carey and for sharing your story. We are all here to support you with the new way of eating. Not the same as you losing your wife but I looked after my mother for two years and hardly went out. After she died once again piled on loads of weight. But this diet can be done. Onwards and downwards.

Last night I could have eaten my arm off………first time whilst being on the diet I have been like that.:-(
    Perhaps I did not drink enough water……

• posted by Cary
    on

Thank you for lovely notes ! Thank you all.

You are of course completely right. We are not diabetics as you say but have diabetes or have had !

14000 steps today and keeping the motivation up ! My poor Labrador is snoring after all that though !

Please log in or register to post a reply.