My Journey so far … I've Reached my Original Goal!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

This morning I when I weighed I had reached my original goal of losing 15% of my body weight!!!!!

I started my journey on July 5th 2016. I was diagnosed with symptomless diabetes in 2012 and, along with many people, my first reaction was disbelief followed by anger and lots of other emotions. I was given the usual 3 months to try and improve my blood glucose, by losing weight, before being offered metformin. Needless to say with the dietary advice on offer I struggled to lose any weight. So three months on and I started taking metformin.

My diabetes has never been out of control really. I started with a HbA1c of just over 7 and whilst I’ve been on metformin it’s stayed in the mid to low 6’s.

So what prompted me to change my life? I was, and am, really overweight. I had been for many years but it wasn’t a problem until my mobility became challenged in 2007 and over the next few years I put on even more weigh. Still I carried on, head in the sand for most of the time, until last year.

My friend has uncontrolled diabetes and in 2015 had a toe amputated. That made me think a little. Then last year another of his toes was compromised but fortunately was ok. That made me really sit up and take notice and around the same time I found ‘The Book’.

I read the book from cover to cover and it just made so much sense. I realised that I ‘just’ needed to lose 15% of my body weight to improve my BG and possibly avert problems from diabetes in the future. That was to be done by cutting out simple carbs. No problem! So I started the journey!

After quite a short time I realised that 15% was a really tall order so I reduced that to 10%, which seemed more manageable. So to my journey….

Unlike some people I was not totally focused so my journey hasn’t been the smoothest. The first month or so was great I never had ‘carb flu’ or any nasty side effects and really wasn’t that hungry. I found fatsecret and filled it in religiously. All was going well and then life got in the way … a holiday! Still I managed to lose a very, very small amount of weight that month and carried on.

Three months had passed by now and my first diabetes review since starting BSD was due 4 weeks later. So that gave me the impetus to carry on and sure enough my next HbA1c had reduced from 6.4 to 5.5. I was delighted. It was now November and I started to rest on my laurels because my next review was 6 months away. The next 2 months were hit and miss with ‘life’ getting in the way again …. holiday, birthday, Christmas etc. All good excuses and no damage done really just a very small weight loss.

This year has been better for me despite, or maybe because of, an illness and I’m now back on track but in a far more relaxed way. I don’t really count at the moment but I do check new foods for their carb content.

I think one of the reasons for this post is to encourage all those who aren’t losing vast amounts very quickly. It can still be done in time. This way of eating has become part of my life now and I very rarely eat simple carbs I just have a few too many ‘indulgences’ now and again!

Also, I would really like to thank the many travellers who have kept me company on the ‘challenges’ over the months. Without you all, and the challenges, and these forums, I know I would have given up ages ago.

If I have learnt one lesson over the last seven months it’s that this is not a diet to be started and finished, it’s a change in lifestyle and to be sustainable it has to fit into ‘life’. We each have individual and different demands on our time and so we each have to tailor this way of eating to fit our individual circumstances. If that means losing weight less quickly then so be it. It’s the arriving that’s important, the journey is just a means to an end. At the end is a new way of living!

So where to now? I would still like to lose another 15% of my original body weight and I know that may take some time. Life won’t stop being lived but I will keep on keeping on and I will get there in the end!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congratulations, Verano!!!! You must be doing cart wheels and happy dances – what a brilliant achievement! You are absolutely right about not thinking of the BSD as a diet, but as a way of life and tailoring the eating plan to suit our bodies and lifestyle. Think it is those that manage to do this, that will successfully keep the weight off and stay healthy. Keep going and I’m sure you’ll be reporting great success again soon.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Verano, our stories are very similar. I have lost 10% of my start weight but at just under 13 stone that is only about 18lbs and I am just starting my 8th month of the plan. I too have had breaks but rarely eating a bad carb just a few glasses of wine being my main downfall. With all the ups and downs I have never given up and like you, see this a way of eating for the rest of my life. I might not cure my diabetes and I am not massively overweight so I am happy to do it slowly so I can continue to ‘have a life’ but going without white carbs is not a hardship for me. My goal now is to stop having to inject daily and get rid of any diabetes medication. I might become a diet controlled diabetic but still diabetic but that is okay because it means I am 100 times better than I was 7 months ago.

I am getting their slowly and also want to reach a 15% loss which is another 8 lbs but in the meantime I want to be 7 lbs lighter by the time I go on holiday at Easter, I also have a blood test due and want to be 5.5 instead of 5.9, but even if I was still 5.9 that would be with less medications so getting closer to my ultimate goal (no injections). Like you say, this is not a diet but it is also not a race to see if I can lose more than others, I judge myself by my own standards, not others. I have seen people come and go, lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks and then disappear, so we don’t know if they are still losing or maintained. Then we get people who come on and say ‘why didn’t I lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks like them’ and then they give up because they feel like they have failed. You have never failed if you just keep on keeping on…. Must get a new catch phrase.

Anyway Verano, I am so happy you are still here and you can count on me to stick with you through this and any challenges. Any ideas coming up.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Verano,

Please let me add my congratulations. A real tribute to you and your common-sense and practical attitude that is such a benefit to everyone on this site.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Well done, Verano, that’s great news for your health and for your mojo! As others have said, your attitude and support are so inspirational. Without knowing your ‘back story’ my mental picture of you over the past three or four months has not been one of person experiencing bumpy ride, but of a rather disciplined, organised, positive and supportive person, and the forum would be a lesser place without you. So pleased you’ve reached your target, and hope you’re feeling better after your recent health blip. MK x.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Congratulations Verano. I agree with what others have said, your attitude and support are inspirational.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Congratulations Verano. 😀💐

Best wishes for your continuing success.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Congratulations from me too Verano and thanks to you for inspiring us with your attitude and approach to this way of life.
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks everyone.

Strangely enough SunnyB I’ve not be doing happy dances etc in fact for some odd reason I feel a bit ‘flat’. It’s almost as though ‘I’ve done it, so now what?’. I know that I just need to make a plan for the next few months and that will motivate me again.

I can’t believe that I come across as so ‘disciplined and organised’ it just shows how dangerous the internet is …. you can be ‘who ever’ you want to be!!! Nonetheless I’m glad that I’m helping others on this journey but it’s a two way street and we are all pushing and pulling each other along.

Sunshine-girl we have to ‘keep on keeping on’ it just wouldn’t be the same doing anything else! Glad you’re still travelling along the same road and as for new challenges … now that I’m starting to feel like my old self and the first daffodils are about to blossom our thoughts turn to spring …. there are endless possibilities!!!

It’s just lovely to have such a great bunch of BSDers on this journey to health and fitness.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Yay Verano!!! This is wonderful news!
    Spring, daffodils, new challenges — and healthier you to enjoy all of it. Digital toast of bubbly!

• posted by bmmorag
    on

Well done Verano – I am only 3 weeks in but find the wisdom of those who are longer term forum members absolutely invaluable. It is helpful to hear that this is not a quick fix diet that will begin and end but a permanent change. That is something I need to get my head around for when it comes to maintenance. I wish you well with the journey to come and look forward to more of your insightful posts.

Morag x

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Verano, I’ve read your first post on this thread a few times. I don’t really know how to respond except to say thank you for the help you’ve given me right from when I first started at the end of August, when you posted on the thread of people starting on 29 August. You’ve been inspirational to me and clearly lots of other people.

So many thanks and best wishes for the future.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Congratulations, Verano! What a great thing to look back in the rearview mirror on the goal you once thought overly ambitious.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Stunning achievement. This is what it’s all about, real people with real struggles, still achieving success despite the sometimes bumpy ride. Huge congrats to you. Gives hope to so many.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Congratulations Verano! That is awesome. All your hard work, bumps and all, is paying off. I find your journey very inspiring because you slip but you keep going – gives me hope that I can do it too!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Congratulations Verano, and don’t worry about it happening slowly and in fits and starts. The important thing is that you don’t lose sight of how far you have come, and where you want to end up however long it takes. Best wishes for the next phase of your journey, try to define your next target and how you want to get there quickly, or else you can lose momentum. I know I did at times.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you all for your comments and best wishes.

I think I’m probably the ‘rule’ rather than the exception. I think that the majority of us have a rather bumpy ride and only the ‘exceptions’ have a ‘straight run’ to their goal. That’s why I feel these forums are so important because there is always somebody who has ‘been through’ your current dilemma and has words of wisdom to help when times get tough.

I think sunshine-girl is so right when she talks about only ‘judging yourself by your own standards’. There are those who do lose a lot quickly then disappear and those who feel like a failure because they don’t lose huge amounts quickly. WE know that this is a life changing eating plan and so despite having ups and downs, we all soldier on with each others help.

I’ve set out my new plan for the coming months with a few mini goals but no timescale… no point in adding to the pressure!

So maybe we should all raise a digital glass with Californiagirl to our achievements so far and look forward to better to come!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Wow Verano, huge applause 👏👏👏.
    Your story of simply not giving up will hopefully inspire many more to come.
    Go girl!
    Linda

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Congratulations Verano on your superb achievement to reach your original goal. Your plan for the coming months sounds really sensible and achievable. What a good idea not to set a timescale.

Your threads have really motivated me and I am so pleased you are now recovering.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Congratulations Verano 15% is a real achievement and good luck for the next 15% – when I am down because I am slow at anything, particularly running, I think of what someone once said to me, coming last beats did not finish, and even did not finish beats did not start!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Verano – I know just how you feel about reaching target (whatever that might be) and thinking “I’ve done it. So now what”. That’s how I felt – and sometimes still do.

It might be something to do with all those years of visiting slimming clubs, seeing the praise and excitement when someone reached target. Often a physical reminder for target members, sometimes just a change of status. But then what?

A recent newspaper article showed three folk who’d lost large amounts of weight at slimming clubs, then gained it back within three years. I think most, if not all, of us know how that feels. It seems so much easier to work towards a target than to stay there. There’s the excitement of recording our weekly progress. On these forums that means sharing both our good and less good experiences and results. Nobody on here condemns or criticises! Each of those mini goals along the way are like this, then we move on to the next.

But when we reach our ultimate target, what then? We try to settle into the new reality. The BSD, as so many say, is a permanent way of life. We can be happy with our new weight and clothes size. But we no longer see the weight dropping – the line on the graph would be almost horizontal, showing very slight variations rather than a drop. So perhaps we need to find a different focus at that point.

Sounds like you have good plans in place. Like me, you had a ‘trigger moment’. Now I’ve got an interest in clothes again. So much has gone to charity shops. Durham has about six charity shops, and I always have a look when I’m there. Sometimes I’m lucky and find something, other times not. Even when I buy something, I might get it wrong. Recently bought a skirt that I loved. But when I got it home I realised that although it fitted perfectly it was completely impractical. You’d probably call it a ‘wiggle skirt’. I could walk in it, that wasn’t the problem. But no way could I get on a bus in it!!! So off it goes to a charity shop!

Perhaps lots of those who reach their target disappear off here because they feel there’s nothing for them to say. We can get bored with saying “maintained ” and think nobody wants to keep reading it.

You are doing really well. Looking forward to reading your continuing story. 💐

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

I think you’re right about needing a new focus, As I’ve not reached my ultimate goal yet I still do have a focus but I can see how difficult it could be to re-focus once you get to maintenance. I don’t think any ‘maintainer’ is boring, even if you think nobody wants to keep reading the posts, most people are still happy to have that extra push now and again of reading about somebody who has succeeded. I think it’s far more difficult to maintain, as you say three people all put the lost weight back on with in a few years. BUT that’s because they were on ‘diets’ and hadn’t changed their lifestyles!

I am trying to refocus to start my next push on Tuesday. Tuesday has always been my weigh-in day and until then I’m just logging my food to see exactly what I am eating since I stopped counting! Today is actually not too bad. The carbs are around 75g and the calories nearer to 1000. That for me is quite acceptable. I’m finding the fast 800 a little too severe in the winter.

Anyway, it’s a case of just keeping on keeping on!

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia it’s good to see you still maintaining that’s what it’s all about. If you can do it in the winter the summer should be a doddle and it won’t be too long before it’s just second nature and you no longer think about it.

Rosebery I just love that saying. I’ve written it down in my journal to help me keep going through the rough times! WE have all started and we WILL all finish!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Verano

Thinking about it again just now, I think that my “awkward” head came in to play.

So many people told me along the way that the BSD wouldn’t work and that it wasn’t sustainable that I was (and still am) determined to prove them wrong. Add to those people the ones who think I’ve lost too much, and those waiting to see it all pile back on again and I just don’t want to prove any of them right.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    I can hardly believe that I have maintained since 10th December. That is two whole months – I don’t think I even managed two weeks maintaining before. But this is different from all those other times I was on a diet as this is a way of eating that I will keep to for the rest of my life.

I do hope that it will be second nature before too long. The bit that has become second nature is keeping low carb and not eating any of the bad carbs and sugar. I have absolutely no inclination to eat the stuff and when I see it I just think how shockingly bad it is for us.

The bit that is not second nature is portion control. I am still as bad at judging portion sizes as I was before I started the BSD. Although I can’t eat really big portions anymore I still have to weigh the high calorie stuff because I am so bad at judging the weight of things like cheese, nuts and Fage Yoghurt.

Lynne – I think your ‘awkward head’ has been really useful. I also find that if anyone says that the BSD won’t work it just makes me more determined to stick to it.

I am so pleased that you stayed on this forum. Your posts were so inspirational when I was struggling and great to see that you effortlessly moved into the maintenance phase of BSD. I learnt everything about maintenance from your posts and other successful maintainers on this forum. I followed Bill1954s posts and was so sorry that he got to target and just left the forum. So I think it is great that maintainers stay posting. For me – continuing to read the forums every day and post does help to keep me on track and keep the weight off.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Krysia

I think Bill had some non-BSD problems that got in the way. I’ve not heard from him in ages. I think it was when his granddaughter was born.

I keep on posting, even if not as often as before, because it helps me keep my motivation so I’m glad it helps others.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Lynne – you are right about Bill. I have just remembered that he was also supporting a close friend or relative who was seriously ill. So with a new granddaughter and a sick friend it is totally understandable that he is no longer on this forum.

I also remember that a couple of members of this forum (who are no longer posting) were a bit cross with him for saying that we would most likely need to stay with this way of eating once we had reversed diabetes. Their view was that you did the BSD – reversed diabetes -and then could go back to all the carbs and that Bill was wrong. I did wonder if that had put him off posting.

I am so pleased you are still posting as it really does help.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Krystal – sorry to say the sick friend died quite soon after moving in with Bill.

I think there have been lots of changes in folk posting. Some have stopped, for whatever reason, and others have started. Some ‘old timers’ felt there was nothing they could now contribute and that it was time to pass the baton to the newbies. I suspect it can be difficult for some, with a combination of diabetics, those with different health issues, and those doing it ‘just’ to lose weight – all with their own perspectives on the BSD.

If I read something I don’t like, don’t agree with, or frustrates me, I usually ignore it and scroll past. But I left the BSD Facebook group because of comments on there – and I know that Bill – and from memory, others also left that group for the same reason.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Captainlynne, very sorry to hear your news about Bill. I wasn’t here when he was, but his thread, which I read from start to finish some months back, has been referred to so many times that he obviously contributed a lot. Sad that he should have felt forced out.

on

Sorry to hear about Bills troubles, hope he is still taking good care of himself. When I commented on people disappearing from the site I was talking about those that get to around week 3 having lost loads of weight then plateau then disappear. Maybe they reached a short term goal or decided they could do it alone without group support. But it is disheartening for those who dont lose loads and think they have a problem and blame themselves, give up and disappear. The secret of this site is to stick with it.

As for the view that you can cure your diabetes and then go back to eating as you did before. That is like saying you were fat, you lost weight now go eat loads of cake and chips and stay slim. What got you fat or diabetic in the first place (and that is not a blame thing, we didn’t know about carbs) will do it again. I am sure if we get our cure one slice of bread or roast potato on our monthly meal out will not reverse what we have done but going back to 3 time daily carbs will. But for some it is a bit like being an alcoholic, one drink can get you started again or in our case one slice of bread leads to a loaf. I dont go overboard on chocolate and can eat 1, 10g square every other day but my brother can get through 5 bars of F&N in one sitting. We are here to learn as well as lose weight or improve our health and by staying on the site I can learn something new most days. Let just keep on……

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

I’m like your brother – no way could I stick at one square of chocolate. Years ago I tried the really dark chocolate that’s quite bitter having been told a square was ok on whichever diet so was following. Trouble was that once I started I couldn’t stop eating it until the bar was finished. Or there was the time I ate three Mars Bars (they were bigger then) washed down with Diet Coke. No wonder I’m keeping off the carbs LOL

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

SSG – That sums up exactly how I feel. I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of having “reversed” my diabetes – I have merely found a way of fending it off. I know if I revert to my old ways then it will be back with a vengeance. You’re right it’s not a blame thing but there is a responsibility.

Didn’t Einstein say that the definition of Insanity was “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I think I am really lucky that I can have one piece of dark chocolate and not want anymore. Milk chocolate is completely different though. One piece leads to the whole bar and then to a trip to the shops to buy a couple more. At least that’s what happened pre BSD. I haven’t dared have a piece of milk chocolate since starting the BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – I agree totally. I think of the diabetes being in remission not reversed. If I went back to my old way of eating it would just come straight back.

I do feel regret that I caused the diabetes in the first place but am so pleased that there is now a way to ‘fend it off’ by just avoiding the sugary and starchy carbs.

Sunshine-girl – I think that you were talking about me in your post. I have very vivid memories of one spoonful of ice cream leading to a tub of ice cream and a handful of crisps leading to a large packet of crisps. I hadn’t thought of it being a bit like an alcoholic – but I did absolutely hate that feeling of being totally out of control and not really understanding why it was happening. I suppose it is why not eating even a mouthful of the bad stuff really works for me.

Husband was watching rugby this evening and wanted a bowl of ice cream. Normally he would get it himself but because he was so engrossed in the game I got it for him. A thought crossed my mind that one spoon wouldn’t do any harm. I immediately dismissed that thought as I have ample evidence to the contrary.

Lynne – I am sorry to hear that Bill’s friend died.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Krysia

I’m like you when it comes to chocolate one or two squares of 90% and that’s fine but please don’t show me a bar of Dairy Milk there would be no way I could leave even a crumb of that. Ice cream is ok for me one tablespoon is enough but red wine is my downfall!!! Answer really is just not to start with any food/drink that is too moreish to fit in with your individual eating plan.

Sunshine-girl as you say it really is just common sense that you can’t ‘go back’ to doing what you always did, as JM says… well Einstein … it’s insane to ‘Do the same thing over and over again and expect different results’. I can’t understand why anyone would think they could ‘go back’ and why would you want to?

I’ve not been counting or logging my food for several weeks now so I thought that I would start again. I didn’t try to limit myself yesterday I just had what I fancied. The outcome was 89g of carbs and 1186 calories. So OK not really the end of the world and a heck of a lot less than a ‘normal’ day would have been pre-BSD. The interesting thing was that when I removed the snacks I had yesterday, a few biscuits and a packet of crisps…. shock horror…. I would have had 41g carbs and just 784 calories. It just shows how easy it is to stay on track if you really want to. The addition of ‘snacks’ to my day really didn’t make it any better.

So I know what to do when I start again ‘properly’ next Tuesday!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Just wanted to share my news.

I had an HbA1c at the end of October and it had come down from 44 to 37, normal! My next one is due at the end of April but I had a strange ‘turn’ in hospital and my BS was down into the 4’s (in old money) which is unheard of for me. So, when my doctor decided to do a blood test last week I ask for an HbA1c as well. Results are in …. 38 , so almost the same as last time despite the fact that I have not been as strict with carbs as I had been for the three months prior to the last one.

She was ecstatic at my results saying how marvellous it is that I’m ‘normal’ . It was lovely to find that my BG has stayed low but also that she was delighted. I’ve not spoken to her about BSD yet but I will. I was waiting for my April test before discussing reducing my metformin. Now I will go ahead and have the conversation in April if I’m still on an even keel and there’s no reason that I shouldn’t be.

Also, somebody actually noticed I’ve lost weight!!!! Yiiipppeeee!!!!

At the moment it’s all looking worthwhile and very positive.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Sounds like a double Zippity-doo-dah moment to me!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Whoopeee, Verano, what fantastic news. As JM says, above, a real Zippity-doo-dah moment 🙂

It is so wonderful to share in people’s triumphs, as well as their pitfalls.

Now dying to know what your GP says when you tell her about BSD!

on

Well done Verano, although I don’t know how much better than ‘normal’ you can do. I want to be ‘normal’ but without meds and that is a way off for me yet. Here’s hoping. You just keep on keeping on, whatever you are doing.

on

Funny old day today, and sort of chimes with theme of ‘going back to a ‘normal’ diet post BSD.
    Was out with a work group who ordered panini, chips, pudding, with a glass of wine each while I chose a smoked salmon salad and coffee with some fizzy water.

Usual ‘ooh, she IS good, making us look greedy but we’re only doing this for a treat’. They’re all size 10 and gorgeous, o’course! I didn’t rise to it but I do sometimes wonder why women do this to one another.

Anyway, not so very long ago I’d have tucked in to the communal fries with my salad and been relatively ‘good’ for lunch – but would then have had a cake to be sociable.

Today I really didn’t want what they had, and I can’t imagine wanting it again. All I have to do is think of that diabetic foot…..

I’m sure that one day a carby treat will wink enticingly and I’ll give in, but not today. Not today. MKx

on

Good for you MK. Isn’t it funny how people think you are judging them by your food choices. Someone told me I was trying to be superior by not drinking and making them feel bad. I don’t care what they eat and am trying not to look so I don’t get tempted but I certainly don’t think I am better than they are.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

One day at a time MK. That’s all any of us can say or do.

Well done for today.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Verano. *does happy dance for Verano*.

on

Missed your zippedy do dah post Verano – that’s absolutely brilliant news.

You’re fabulously, wonderfully …normal. That must feel amazing – enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

*MK puts on happy pants and does a happy, happy dance for Verano*

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and Happy Valentines to those who celebrate

Thanks for sharing my good ‘news’ so enthusiastically. It’s onwards now to my next appointment and that chat about metformin!

It’s quite strange that I have lost more weight since my last test but my HbA1c has remained stable. I know I can’t expect to be more normal than normal sunshine-girl, but I thought that my weight was the major issue but it would seem that once you ditch the carbs that does the trick. Interesting!

MK you did really well in the face of adversity. I sometimes think ‘thin’ women can be so bitchy when they see someone eating healthily because they are frightened you will become slimmer and healthier than they are. People often need somebody, who they consider less than perfect, to make themselves feel good or superior. Thing is with this way of eating you WILL become healthier than they are!!!!

Hope you have a good day.

on

Lol Verano. My lovely work colleagues have nothing to fear from me – they’re all 2o years younger, gorgeous, fit, & more confident than I have ever been in my life, it’s lovely to see. It doesn’t matter how skinny I get, I am most definitely NO competition! No, the weird thing was that even though I made no fuss about my order, they judged me, and their own choices against my choice and found me wanting. I thought that was really odd. So much absolutely nutty communal head stuff around women and food. Men don’t do this (sweeping generalisation, I know, but mostly they don’t.). MKx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hey MK another ‘woman’ thing … why do we always pull ourselves down??

There’s a thread about ‘your relationship with alcohol’ at the moment and it’s strange how ‘drinkers’ are so quick to condemn, as odd, those who choose not to drink. Maybe it’s the same with food. The ‘eaters’ view those who are careful as ‘odd’!! I think we should just get on with what we do it’s ‘their’ problem not ours!

on

Ah, Verano, I’m realistic about how I look and getting older – the things I value in myself aren’t outwardly visible!

And don’t even start me off about being a lifelong teetotaller in Scotland. If one more person tells me ‘you can’t trust a person who won’t take a drink….. Clearly I’m destined to be a kitten who treads her own path … !

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi MK

I’m getting older as well!!! But hey I look in the mirror and despite the weight I feel good and I think I look pretty good. I’m blessed with ‘good’ skin so very few wrinkles and the ‘grey’ can easily be kept at bay by a great hairdresser!! I can say this because probably nobody else will!! It’s how you feel inside that counts.

Must admit I’d not heard the one about ‘not trusting a person who doesn’t drink’ Interesting thought but WHY!!!!

on

Ditto, Verano, have good skin and have always looked younger than my years, but as the ‘chubby duckling’ in a family of leggy beauties, (I’m 5’10 and they.call me short arse!) who was usually introduced by my (gorgeous, beauty queen) mum as ‘bless her, she didn’t get my genes like the twins, but she’s clever like her dad’ I’ve never been under any illusions! Like you though, am content with what I see in the mirror. Well. Most days…! MKx

Please log in or register to post a reply.