My Diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Rhubarb’s not so bad, I had it with mackerel (no sugar the acid cuts through the fish oil – fab!) and I think it came in at 5g carbs for a decent portion. I’ve got a big bag in the freeze and will use it with yogurt/porridge when the weather gets bad.

Also a chunk is great in a cup of green tea!

• posted by caldini
    on

Had a very depressing two hour lunchtime meeting. The kind that results in actions that will never be fulfilled and even if they were they’d be pointless. Two hours of my life that I won’t get back!

On the way back to my desk I snaffled three chocolatey bites that someone had left out on a table.

I made the mackerel salad for tea. Mackerel and beetroot are two foods I can eat but I’m not very fond of (too fishy, tastes of soil respectively). The salad from the book though is delicious. This may have been because I bought boneless mackerel encrusted in red pepper, and the beetroot was cylindrical beetroot (from the Abel & Cole veg box). It may have been the way that the beetroot was roasted in a cm of water under foil. Or it may have been the zesty orange dressing and oranges. Whatever it was I would gladly eat it again!

Avocado and egg
    Prawn pho
    Three chocolatey bites
    Mackerel salad

@shalimar – hope your cold clears up soon. It’s probably the same virus that’s doing the rounds over here in England. A good alternative to bacon is a nice ripe avocado – creamy and delicious. I like it with a semi-hard boiled egg. Put an egg from the fridge directly into boiling hot water, cook it for 6 mins then get rid of the hot water and fill the pan up with cold to stop it cooking. It’s easier to peel the shell off that way too. One of the best ways to have an egg IMHO!

@julesmaigret – does rhubarb in hot water actually do anything? I imagine it to be stubbornly inert!

• posted by shalimar
    on

So sorry about that meeting!! Been there, done that!! Retired now!! …. Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey … love a recipe that makes it easier to peel the shell off an egg.

I want to try pho …. we do have a restaurant near my house that serves it. I am not too impressed with miso …. i usually put some miso paste in soup. But at the Tokyo House the miso was practically tasteless.

A really good way to eat eggs (from my childhood … we had a large garden and raised chickens) … is a fresh 4 minute egg … break off the cap and put in a dab or 3 of fresh farm butter … add salt to taste ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ …. maybe that’s regulation BSD now???? ๐Ÿ™‚

Dying to try kippers … never had one but i do like smoked fish.

I’m such an anglophile here in Canada …. i live in Northwestern Ontario — and if you are outdoorsy, love fishing, camping, canoeing, boating and skiing … this is the place for you!! Surrounded by lakes and forest … we even have bear warnings!!

Thank goodness for PVR taping of Television and Acorn TV …. love myself both British and Australian TV. I love old movies …. when i’m feeling sick i even watch old Margaret Rutherford Agatha Christie movies (did that last night). We even have BBC Canada tv channel.
    Couldn’t watch the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team last night (1 game playoff) …. but i PVR’d it and since i’m vertical, it’s approx 5:30 a.m. here … well at least sitting up … i’m watching the game now (*they won).

Hope your work day it better!!!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Shalimar – a buttery egg? I think I may have just found heaven! Will definitely be trying that.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Just keeping in touch. Hope you and the family are okay!!

I’m still in a holding pattern … but vertical!! Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Just keeping in touch. Hope you and the family are okay!!

HUGS …. i won’t bug you … i will just check in every few weeks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.