Moving to 5:2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hi all,
    Has anybody moved from the 800 to 5:2 after the 8 weeks?
    The burning question is WILL I PUT WEIGHT ON?
    This week has been week 8 and it’s all gonna bit wrong, I have allowed myself to eat normally at wknds because I’m not a diet robot and have lost 2-3 inches.
    Not sure about lbs as I don’t have scales but I’m concerned that going to 5:2 and only counting calories on 2 days is going to make me put on weight.
    Any experience anyone’s had would be a great help as I’m stressed!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Congrats on getting to week eight and now ready to plan yr future! I think you’ ll be fine if you do 5:2 properly forkers x
    Keep to the 500 cals on fast n repair days and keep them low carb
    On non fast days keep to yr TDEE or around it most days..perhaps go well over it but only occasionally to mix things up and keep yr body guessing! Dont make the schoolboy error of overeating on non fast days ( i was v bad at doing that!) you will be so sorry if you regain after going thru BSD for eight weeks!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

The 5:2 is a weight loss diet too – so it is not a maintenance diet.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

ZIGGY ..sorry you are right..i didnt put that well at all..
    no need to be so severe Forkers! i know several people on the fast day forum who have lost weight on 5:2 and are now maintaining by still doing 2 fasts a week for the supposed health benefits ( not totally proven yet) plus eating freely on their other days but not going overboard…and i should have added that some peeps also maintain by doing 6:1 or only eating in a ‘ window’ of time each day ..for example just eating in a four hour window,say 5 pm-9pm,which generally means the cal count is kept lower but they eat pretty much whatever they want without going crazy ( tho in my case, i can eat a very large amount of food in 4 hrs!) xx

• posted by Frog
    on

Like any diet of eating plan, whether you lose or gain weight, or stay stable will depend on what you eat!
    If you eat sensibly on the five days and fast on two, you probably will lose weight.
    If you stuff yourself stupid on the non fasting days, you’re less likely to.
    I know, I’ve done it!

• posted by Bissell
    on

I’ve moved to 5:2 after losing sufficient weight to take me into ‘healthy’ mode, ie below BMI 25. I have no straightforward carbs, fairly sensible 3 meals, no snacks for 5 days, some wine though! And for 2 days 800 cals as before . And I’ve maintained my weight loss for 5 or 6 weeks so far. So it can be done, but I know I’ve slowly crept up before, so will be vigilant. Not struggling so far though, just in from Italian meal and resisted carbs and pudding without (too many) regrets!

• posted by Forkers
    on

Thanks guys!
    I itend to keep it low carb across the board just not be so obsessive about counting calories on the non fast days as I can’t bear it anymore plus I want to be able to have a wine and not have a nervous breakdown from the guilt.
    I am obviously aware that if I eat 50 doughnuts I’m going to put on weight I don’t intend to do that.
    I just want to be able to eat a bit more normally without fear of putting weight back on because iv eaten a normal sized meal.
    the 5:2 phase of this version of the diet is 800 calories on the 2 fast days right? 500 calories is insanity.

Anyone else sick of thinking about this diet but also totally in love with it at the same time?! #DIETBORE

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yeh FORKERS i totally agree..sort of a love hate relationship with it! I get elated with losing weight quickly but exhausted too by it all!
    Didnt realise there was a BSD 5:2 phase,sorry was thinking you meant the original 5:2. An 800 cal fast sounds a lot jollier than 500 doesnt it!
    But yeh deffo a good idea to keep the carbs low. If nothing else ive learnt that cruel carbs arent my friend..they just make me want more so i’ m always hungry..now i do low carb,i hardly ever feel hungry. X

• posted by Jillf
    on

Forkers with you in all you say! Moving off plan today after 4 weeks due to two weeks holiday and family wedding. I will be good as I can be without calorie counting but will be drinking. Will check back after two weeks and see how we have managed? Having lost a stone I hope it stays that way but it will be a lot of guesswork. Scary and liberating at same time!
    Jill

• posted by Dietqueen
    on

Hi everybody
    I need to know what comes next. I have gone from 13 stone to 11 st and do not want to lose anymore weight. Doing the med plan. What is the maintenance plan here? Have bought and read book but maintenance part not very clear,to me. Love the forum and all your positive vibes and information. Thanks to Ziggy to replying.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The maintenance plan is really just to keep to med style principles and throw in an 800 day either weekly to keep the metabolism on it’s toes in a 6:1 pattern or just choose a maintenance level of calories and stick to that, fasting only if weight rises after a celebration or holiday etc. I still have a lot to lose although I have already lost 4 1/2 stone. I have adopted 1600 calories a day for my average non fast 800 days as the calculations for my level of activity and final healthy weight basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories our bodies burn without any activity at all) show that this will be approximately my maintenance level. By the time I get close to my ideal weight I am hoping to be used to portion sizes and low carb food choices so I don’ t have keep weighing/tracking for ever. I will probably use the weekly 6:1 pattern, weighing myself after the fast day only, as I am used to the discipline of the fast day now and it will keep me honest. I hope this helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.