Milk and alcohol queries!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hi all!
    I know we are allowed a splash of whole milk in coffee which iv been having as I CANNOT do with out but is the rule- don’t have any because of its effect on cravings etc of is it ok to work into the 800 calories?
    I just had a homemade latte with 100ml hot whole milk- IS THIS ILLEGAL?!

Also- I am going out tonight and not drinking isn’t an option so I plan to drink vodka sodas in addition having had the 800 cal of food.
    Any tips for pre drinking diet friendly food to prevent boozy snacking?

Thanks so much!

• posted by Izzy
    on

the milk is fine it’s full fat and added in to your calories. So long as no sugar is added.

I don’t know if it would work as I don’t drink coffee but I’ve been using almond milk for hot choc. The unsweetened version is really low calorie.

I haven’t any pre-alcohol food advice as I’m not drinking these days but I’d recommend keeping the Vodka drinks to the minimum you can.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

I know how you feel re: snaking after booze! The other week I drank several glasses of wine, came home, avoided the kitchen and went straight to our bedroom. I asked my OH to bring up some water…. If I am drinking when out I have a glass of wine followed by a pint of water. This helps me to drink less.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I have skimmed or semi skimmed milk in tea – I really don’t like the taste of full fat milk, but am loving full fat yoghurt, cheese, etc.

At the start of BSD I worked out my average daily milk consumption and just log that each day, as I can’t be bothered to remember every cup of tea/how milky, etc. Some days it will be about right, others too much or too little, but it seemed the logical way of doing it that works for me – that said, I estimate I probably use around 15ml of milk each drink, so if you’re using 100ml, it may be better to track it more closely.

Agree with Rubbu on the water – I find I’m ordering sparkling water a lot more if I don’t have wine with a meal, or in a bar instead of alcohol. I rarely drink alcohol unless I am eating these days – I don’t measure my own blood sugar, but understand that if you have alcohol with food (particularly sensible non-sugary low carb food, the alcohol is less likely to cause sugar spikes).

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

I love my full fat milk from the local farm. I just choose to have it as one of my “meals” some days. I’m new to this so others may have a different view but it’s low in carbs and high in fat so ticks the right boxes so far as I can see. It is high calorie though. A pint is close to 400 cals.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

I have been drinking SKIMMED Milk for years (Since doing a low fat diet) . Is there ANY benefit in staying with this or should I just enjoy FULL FAT MILK and count calories !!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

54andfatnomore and forkers, your milk is fine if it is in your allowance. I have like Frog ( who is one of our poster people) 2 teas with semi-skimmed milk and one coffee with a dash of real milk. I do not like tea with full fat or coffee with skim, and too old to change that. The rest is green or herbal tea or water.

54 I would have what you like, as long as you are getting enough fat to feel satisfied with your other food. If you like full fat milk – remember it is only about 4% I think I would have that. If you balance your protein and fat you still won’t have too much of either with 800 cals.

Forkers nurse your drink and remember water looks just like vodka!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I’ve switched to full fat milk. Not very much in tea/coffee and I count it in.

Remember that when the dairy industry takes out fat to get low fat products the sugar and carb content goes up!

If you like the full fat taste – have it! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.