Medications

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by julygirl
    on

Hello All
    I have just this week started the BSL and wondered if any diabetics out there changed their meds they were taking for diabetes. ?
    My blood sugars the first morning went from 10.2 to 4.9.
    I am currently taking Metformin, Glicizade and Insulin and wondered if anybody had to alter their dosage as I am on the highest dosage at the minute?
    Best wishes.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hi julygirl, most of us have altered our meds, reduced them or just got rid of them totally. This diet works quite quickly as you have seen but when it comes to your meds, take it slowly. If you continue to see such good results you might want to reduce little by little. If you have a sympathetic diabetic nurse or doctor that you can get to talk to, that is the best thing to do. It is early days so keep testing (you obviously do).

My story is I want from 10.2 to around 6.0 in a few days (around 10) and started to reduce my insulin a couple of unit at a time say every week. I had some really low readings and reduced my Glicizide as that can cause big drops in BG, I never took Metformin as it gave me the sh—s, which is why I ended up on insulin. Over 6 months I have gone from 38 units of insulin to 22, so it has been a slow process. Also, allow yourself some leeway, you never know when temptation is coming, like birthdays, Christmas.

I hope someone who is on the same as you comes on to advise as I have not been on the same meds as you.

• posted by julygirl
    on

Thank you for your help Sunshine Girl.
    Best wishes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.