Medication

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Loukc
    on

Hi there not sure where to put this but I needed info on the meds I’m on and the BSD. I am currently on venlafaxine, mirtazapine and propranolol. I have put on a significant amount of weight due to the mirtazapine as it is a side affect. I have just read the book and want to start this diet and do more excersise as I am prediabetic. As the mirtazapine has increased my weight will I therefore lose any weight on these meds or will it just be harder to do?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Loukc,
    As you said, one of the side effects of mirtazepine is weight gain. Usually because it increases your appetite.
    I think that it is still worth giving the diet a try because after the first couple of days most of us haven’t felt hungry and are satisfied with much less food. Try to stick closely to the diet and make sure you eat the full fat version of cheese, yoghurt, milk etc. as that will prevent hunger.
    A few people have reported feeling low in mood for a few days, so watch out for that in your case. If it persists you might have to swap to a modified version of the diet. Mental health is too important to ignore so make sure you keep taking the med. Is your GP on board with the diet, if so he/ she will be the best one to advise you if you get into strife.
    Sometimes Clare, Michael’s wife and a GP, comments on the posts so maybe she will have something to add. I’m not a doctor, I’m a nurse, so if you are really concerned speak to your GP before you start. I think you should be ok though.
    Once the first few days are out the way, you will feel more energetic and clear headed than ever. Keep us informed of how you’re going, lots of knowledgeable people on here willing to help and support you. Read the other posts for inspiration and a good laugh. It helps to know we’re not alone in our battle for better health! 🙂

• posted by Loukc
    on

Hi there, thank you for your reply. I am going to book in with the doctor and make him aware this is the diet I am going to be doing. I need a check up anyway as over the last week I’ve become extremely tired with no energy or motivation. How does one know if they have become full diabetic from prediabetes? I am also trying to come off the meds I’m on, but slowly, this is again with the doctor and how I’m feeling. One thing that puzzles me though is I can go a couple of days without very little food as I work 11 sometimes 12 hour days and on my feet all day and do not lose any weight, I mentioned it to the doctor and they asked if the 11 hours were intense or was my heart rate elevated? Well in my eyes I think 11 or 12 hours on one’s feet is surely enough to lose weight, especially as all I would maybe eat would be shredded wheat with skimmed milk and no sugar. I don’t want to start this and become demotivated. I have otherwise a sedentary lifestyle apart from walking my dog. I have a trial at a gym tomorrow which is huge for me as I hate excersise but I am scared for my health, hence why I am doing this and also read that a large abdomen was dangerous and I have a lot of abdominal fat, a huge over hang. I am also going through menopause.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Loukc, if you stick with us the forum members will definitely help you to stay motivated. Just join in any of the threads and you will be made welcome. Most people seem to post on the ‘this has to work for me’ thread. Lots of posts on there are really inspirational.
    Great you’re going to chat to your GP, and that you’re reducing meds under advice. Be sure and tell your doctor of your concerns about tiredness, lack of energy, diabetes etc. a blood test will help sort it out and you’ll soon know if diabetes is a concern.
    Once you get the ok from your GP and start the diet you will soon begin to feel more energetic and in control. Over eating a high carb diet saps all your energy.
    Keep posting so we can follow your progress and help keep you on track 🙂

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Cherrianne is right, Loukc … keep reading the posts and see how others are doing. The initial decision (which is yours alone … and a big step) is probably the one that is going to take you to the healthy and happy person you want to be. You can do it! Your medication may well make a difference to your weight initially … I know insulin does mine. But if I want to get off insulin, then I have to do something to change my current situation!!
    It’s a vicious circle … we have a health condition, so we have medication … that may make some of the symptoms better, but it may cause weight gain … we overeat and get bigger … that causes other health conditions, so we have more medication … then we feel down cos we are on all these medications … so we overeat and get bigger …
    Overeating can make us all very lethargic, and then we don’t have faith in ourselves. By sticking with this you can change your life. I believe this purely from the motivation I have received from reading Michael’s book, and the guys on this forum. I don’t have a success story yet … but I will … and you, and the others here, will all be part of my success!! Good luck creating your own success story, no matter what meds may get in your way x

• posted by Babyjohn
    on

Iv been on the diet for 4 weeks it was recommended by my Dr but he is not following me at all iv got my blood well under control for the first time ever but in answer to my call to the surgery he said to just keep taking my meds and I’m not due a blood test for another 5 months I’m lost now as he’s no support at all

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Keep taking the meds until your body tells you to stop/slow down. Part of the beauty of this way of eating is that it opens up the natural lines of communication again between your brain and your gut and hormone factory. If you experience problematic low blood sugar episodes, rather than eating more carbs, you may want to reduce your meds. Don’t stop them totally, and always be ready to call the doctor again if something feels off, but this way of eating should be able to very quickly change your balance. Above all, don’t push yourself into sticking with meds that you feel are harmful, as long as you are monitoring your blood sugars, you will be able to avoid causing yourself any damage. Please note that this is not medical advice though, simply observations from one who has been following many similar journeys on this forum.

Please log in or register to post a reply.