Meal replacement shakes – Australia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Stacey
    on

Hey is anyone else in Aus using VLCD meal replacement shakes? I have been using optifast for breakfast but there are so many on the market like Pro slim and Celebrity slim plus all those protein type shakes. Anyone recommend the best one for flavour v cost? I dont want to spend $40 on a box and not like them.

• posted by trevjem
    on

Hi Stacey, I’ve just started on the blood sugar diet and I’m wondering how you got on with finding a meal replacement shake? Appreciate your advice. Kind regards, Jemma

• posted by Stacey
    on

Hey Jemma. Welcome to the best diet in the world!! I use 2 different shakes Optifast (choc or vanilla )which you add water too and work out about 200 cals 15g carbs and 17g protein. The one I prefer is Optislim Platinum in chocolate, you are supposed to use skim milk but I mix with unsweetened almond milk, that works out as 124 cals, 8g carbs and 11g protein. I find the Optislim is better if you are keeping carbs low and it gives me a few extra cals to play with for the day. The opitfast taste a bit better and are easier for travel etc as the just need water. Good luck! I have lost 13kgs since april so it does work.

• posted by Australian_Addict
    on

Hello,

My husband and I have been having Aussielent shakes for a while. I am going to start using them in smaller doses on five days a week to try and get low calorie for the blood sugar diet.

http://aussiesoylent.com.au/

We mostly have vanilla and they taste like not much. Which is what I want from something I am going to have a lot of.

Thanks,
    Emily

• posted by Cathmac
    on

Am in Australia and keen to start the 800BSD. My plan is to go in boots and all from tomorrow. I am considering the Tony Ferguson shakes – they have a VLCD plan and available at my local chemist. Any ideas/suggestions?
    I will do just this plan for two weeks and then when my husband has cleared out all the Christmas temptations I will venture back into the clinic and create 800cal meal plans. Has anybody else managed this way?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi Cathmac, I don’t know much about shakes so I looked up the Tony Ferguson VLCD ones, and I’m afraid they have sugar and one of the worst artificial sweeteners (sucralose) on the ingredient list. That’s not any kind of low carb, in my opinion, no matter how they jigger the numbers, and it’s definitely not the BSD which advocates the elimination of added sugar. That’s even more important in the early days because you have to kick the bad carbs — sugar, wheat, grains, cereals, starchy vegetables — to switch your body into fat burning mode instead of carb-burning mode.

I don’t know of any shakes that have adequate balanced nutrition and real LC ingredients. Even the ones without sugar and starches (very, very few of them) are loaded with sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame which evidence suggests are quite bad for you in terms of your gut flora and fauna and which can cause insulin spikes because your body detects the sweetness and prepares for the sugar rush to follow. Again, though, it’s not an area I’m familiar with as I am an avid cook, so perhaps you’ll be more lucky. Just don’t believe the packaging because these companies can be extremely deceptive in the way they market their products. Read the ingredients of everything before you buy it.

How about batch cooking a few of your favorite dishes modified according to BSD guidelines? A lovely chunky stew, for example, would be filling, easily prepared and tastes even better as a leftover. My first two weeks I made giant batches of chicken salad and tuna boiled egg salad on the weekend and served up a big 4 oz portion of it on fresh lettuce and field greens every lunch. I used recipes I had made a thousand times before and just turned them into salads where they had once been sandwiches. Good luck!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

reported as advertising

• posted by Garmcns
    on

Hi Stacey
    How did you get on with Optislim ? Ive used it a lot in the past but found it too sweet and didn’t keep me feeling full. Major issue for me. Have recently tried the Pea protein blends and find they stick to the sides better and I can keep focused. but do need a multivitamin with them. Think I will try the fast 800 vegan shake next as it has the nutrients, vitamins and low calorie. I always put a half cup soy milk in when I make my shakes, need my calcium. Good luck and yes port baby weight is a doozy

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Garmcns, this post is 4 years out of date and Stacey hasnt been around for years. I think you have already joined the weekly thread. I think you will find generally the shakes are not well thought of for various reasons, as you say, too sweet. But also chemicals included and also not great after a few days of liquid as food is so much more satisfying. I see you are making your own shakes and that is different, you know exactly what is going in. Most people here (in fact all) have a diet made up of real foods and we are happy to help you in your choices. See you on other threads and good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.