Me and the Missus are both starting this!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi all,

Another “I’m starting this diet” post. Just (10 mins ago) got the books delivered by Amazon so that’s todays reading and from tomorrow we are going to start. Her motivation is weight loss after pregnancy. Mine is trying to reverse my type 2. We already eat a lot of the stuff in the recipe book but we will follow the meal planner to the letter and see how we go!

Pete

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome pcoventry, todays task is to sit down and look at the recipes and decide what you are going to eat for the next few days then do a shopping list and get stocked up on all the good things. I still find the hardest part of this diet is all the planning but it is my Sunday task. Having been on this a while now (and reaping the benefits) I have quite a few menu plans already made up and I just giggle them around. There is lots of reading and support here to help you on your way, along with your other half’s help, good that the 2 of you are doing it together. Someone has written a list of things to remember but I forget where it is posted, so here are just a few, never ever ever eat another potato, pasta or rice dish or slice of bread and never eat another bowl of cereal unless is it pure oats based. Learn to love your veggies, I hated asparagus but roasted it is delicious. Watch out for fruit, full of sugar and sometimes quite a lot of carbs too. Drink some water, then drink some more, you should be aiming for 2 litres a day (each LOL)

You in particular will see the rewards and your diabetes will be soon under control (post us some numbers so we can see your progress), good luck and keep on keeping on…

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what numbers to give you. The doctor said doing my own testing was pointless and she said last week my hba1c or whatever it is called was 67 so was creeping towards the insulin danger zone.

I hate needles, so that’s a no no. I literally would rather die than inject myself daily – my phobia is huge

Anyway

The first thing we did today was have scrambled eggs BSD style. We are going to replace rice with Konjac rice or something along the lines of the Eat Water Slim Rice. I’ve had zero noodles in the past so we will introduce them again.

The rest we eat already. In regards to greens, We’ve had veg as a daily part of our food since kids. In fact when she was pregnant she came lose to iron levels being through the roof due to the amount of greens we pack away.

We are also blessed (in my view) to have a butcher within walking distance and so we get all our meats from them. For as long as I can remember I’ve never bought meat from a supermarket and unless all the butchers dried up I wouldn’t plan to do ever

I will keep this thread updated so I can track my own progress. But even with the food we have available we are on track for 790 Calories for today – and the only part of the book I read was the first 20 pages after I bought it on Amazon (handy little thing they do there)

I have a 2LT coke bottle that I will fill and chill daily for water (and she has one too) but I was wondering if I have to give up my coke zero drink? It’s only for a change but as it’s 0 calorie could someone still drink lots of it and be fine? If I have to give it up I will – but I just wondered. The opinion on some sites is that as it’s got nothing in it then it won’t hinder weight loss. Or is this in the book and I should stop typing and read it? lol

Thanks for the welcome sunshine-girl πŸ™‚

Pete

on

I hate to break this to you but the Konjak rice is a con and so are the zero noodles, it is just a way of selling the same old stuff. You will also see a thread called can anyone decide if this is true, all about if you cook rice and then eat it cold it has different properties than normal rice etc etc. Yes there is some truth in it but that is not part of this diet, it is still a simple carb. Also, there has been a lot of discussion about sugar free drinks. The main focus is that they are full of chemicals so your body has difficulty if processing it. It is also sweet so your body does not turn on the fat burning process (ketosis). See another thread where someone asked about this as they had not lost any weight in 4 weeks. I told them to stop the zero coke. A lot a argument ensued and he finally stopped the coke and lost 2kg in a few days. You can search for these in the box at the top rh corner. It also helps your body keep its taste for sweet things so does not help get rid of the craving for carbs. And believe me you will crave them in the first couple of weeks. Some people suffer quite badly with headaches, shivering, mood swings. Think of it like giving up cigarettes and having a cigar instead, does no good at all. Sorry if this upsets you but if you are serious about the diet, at least in the first 8 weeks, do not have any simple carbs at all. If you are doing 800 calories you wont have room for them anyway.

I inject insulin once a day and it really is not what you want to be doing, phobic or not. I guess you are reasonably young if your wife has just had a baby (???) and I am sure you don’t want track marks across your abdomen. I am a bit older so no one sees my scar tissue, although I showed it to a group of people when I did a talk on BSD last week. Fancy me lifting up my jumper, can’t believe I did that. Once again, good luck and keep the questions coming. You might find differing view but there is generally discussion and balance on this site.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

For what it’s worth, before the BSD I used to drink lots of Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi. Then I changed some to Diet Lemon and Lime.

After starting the BSD I started to switch to water (preferably sparkling). One day I was shopping and needed a drink, the only choice was Diet Coke. After two mouthfuls I had to pour it away. Far too sweet.

On holiday in Prague the only diet drink I could identify was Diet Coke. It made me feel so ill I had to buy sparkling water instead.

Your tastes will change as you follow the BSD. And as sunshine-girl says, the diet drinks are full of chemicals and don’t let you lose the taste for sweet things.

Sometimes I slice lemon and/or lime into a jug of still water in the fridge and take a bottle with me when I go out. Other times I just take a bottle of sparkling water.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Good advice sunshine -girl. You and captainlynne are the two who have kept me on this diet for 7 weeks so far. Both always spot on with what you say.Thank you.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Thanks for the advice guys. I had a quick skim but I will come back later and re read properly πŸ™‚

on

pcoventry, I owe you an apology. I have been doing some research on Konjak Noodles and have found out they are allowed on this diet as they are very low on calories and made from vegetable matter so I am assuming the Konjak Rice is similar. The only downside on this diet is that you might feel full as they bloat you up and you might not eat enough other stuff. Sorry for making assumptions, I had heard they were a bit of a con, not because they don’t work but because they cost quite a lot.

Hope I didn’t put you off doing the diet, I think I have seen you on other threads and hope you are enjoying your experience.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I am ashamed that I had forgotten my own thread – Greetings!

Thanks again for all the advice guys. To everyone who has posted to me so far πŸ™‚

Sunshine-girl, no you didn’t put me off at all. We are 3 days into starting again. I’ve lost 5 pounds and my levels are starting to come down. I eat 3 meals a day but I don’t snack at night and I get the dawn effect, so tonight I am going to try cheese and milk before bed. I woke up today to 7.2 lastnight I was 7.8 2 hours after food and 6.7 3 hours after.

I have, for now canned my Metformin. I want this to work through what I eat as I really hate taking medication. Physically I gip when I see pills, so even in food it’s a physiological battle to take the 4 a day my doctor wants to shove down my throat.

I am just trying to sort out alternatives to plan water, I have been a coke zero addict since it’s come out and whilst (with 4 calories per 2L) you cant really get fat on it or have massive level spikes, I don’t also fancy soda stream water all the time.

on

Glad to hear you are doing well, what about the missus. I have learned to love plain water but if I fancy something a bit different I put in a squeeze of lime or lemon juice, also, but not to use too often, a tiny dash of a pure fruit juice. Apple juice is used in one of the recipes (a breakfast shake) so it must be allowed or I use a dash of cranberry juice.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

That does sound yummy πŸ™‚

She’s lost 2 ibs – she’s doing it of weight loss only – she has normal blood sugar levels, makes me so jealous!

We just had the Easy Quiche which she cooked and it tasted yummy πŸ™‚

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I’ve been quite active today. I’ve just nearly passed out fallen over and hit my head after going dizzy, so for now I am going to stop the diet, best of luck to you all and I am sure I will be back!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Well I wanted to come back and update you all. I’ve been doing this now for about 6 months. I stopped taking Metformin and all the other statins and stuff when I started. (otherwise how was I to know if it worked or not)

I had bloods last week, I saw my GP earlier today and I am ecstatic to say that my Diabetes is now GONE!

My fasting levels were 4.6! I am considered Normal! I was told to “keep doing what I was doing, as it’s working” and I re-mentioned Michael and the diet – my GP was impressed and knew of both

I dont follow the book anymore nor do I count calories but I have stuck to the eating plan and just adjusted it. Now it’s everyday life not even thought about. I confess I drink coke Zero like water but clearly its had NO effect on me at all – which I am glad to know!

Oh and I have lost 3.5 STONE since I started this. Through the diet and exercise day to day

I am now going to give my book to 2 friends who are bordering insulin for their type 2! If I can do it they bloody well can too!

Thank you all – and take care πŸ˜‰

• posted by Theodora
    on

Woweee, pcoventry, that is fantastic. Well done on your fantastic achievementioned. And well done on spreading the word too.

Just noticed it’s your first post was a year ago today – guess that makes it your BSD anniversary πŸ˜€ How’s your wife doing?

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Aha! so it was!

She’s doing good thanks – also lost a lot of weight – gonw down 2 dress sizes I am told πŸ™‚

The doctor told me today he thinks Ive put on 15-20 years. And now only need to have yearly checkups on eyes and blood as a “precaution”

I’ve now given my BSD receipe book and other stuff to a friend who is type 2 but has to have an injection every week. I am hoping this will stop his problems too!

Please log in or register to post a reply.