Managing sugar levels when lactose intolerant

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi, I lent my book to a friend who is not over weight but is pre-diabetic and sort of interested – but can’t imagine life without bread – she is lactose intolerant and a lot of my ‘go to’ feel full foods are dairy related. Any tips I can pass on?

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Hi Avila,

I don’t eat dairy (or meat) but have found that my ‘feel full’ foods are all protein-heavy and carb-light, of which I have found fish to be the best source. Particularly smoked salmon – for some reason that really satisfies my stomach (not my bank balance though!). I try to follow a 95% vegan diet normally but since starting the BSD it is more like 75% vegan and 25% fish. Unfortunately vegan sources of protein – lentils, tofu etc – just don’t seem to be hitting the satiety spot the way that fish does. (I wish it was different as I wanted to cut down on my fish consumption but it’s not.) I also make vegan ‘cheese’ out of nuts and that’s pretty good too, and much easier than you’d think. (Lots of recipes available online.)

As for not imagining life with bread, I get it. For me that would be bread, pasta and potatoes. Mmm. The only thing I can say is that while it is difficult in the beginning, it does get easier after a while. Not only that, my stomach shrinks visibly after 48 hours off wheat, and my energy levels are SO much higher. So while I miss the taste of these foods, I (albeit reluctantly) admit I feel miles better off without them. I hope to be able to go back to eating them in the future but in smaller amounts. MUCH smaller amounts!

Please log in or register to post a reply.