Making June joyful and judicious : One week at a time beginning June 19 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi to everyone, I am a little late as we were both very busy yesterday. Wendy having a great time with visitors and me getting my legs checked out with a doppler. All is well.

We had a very lively week last week and lets hope it continues as it is so good to hear from all of you, new and old.

Just to answer about my daughters bite. It seems that they got the poison out as there have been no red lines creeping up her hand. However, she hasn’t seen her finger yet and has an appointment for Monday with a plastic surgeon, so is worried about what it is going to look like She shouldnt worry, it is only a finger and as long as it is saved that is the important thing. I reminded her what I looked like after my surgery – swollen, black and blue with a 6 inch wound with stitches and clip, and look at me now. I am still beautiful (in my own head).

Well lets get on with our new week. Margaret, you expected to gain so no upset there for you. I have also gained half a pound but losing 3.5lbs in one week has its drawbacks – rapid loss, easy gain. Not letting it put me off and I am back on track with a spinach, almond milks and raspberry smoothie for breakfast. TRE after 8pm until as long as I can last the next day and NO carbs.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Sunshine-Girl and Wendy, Thanks for setting up the new thread. Week one was 1.5kg. Week two was 1.1kg discard. So nearly half a stone gone in old money. I am now within 10kgs of a healthy BMI. Very pleased, too, that I have managed 6 days of exercise in a row – which will not sound very much to most of you, but is big news for me. I have had a few knee-knocking/dizzy moments, so I hope that I will be thoroughly switched over to fat-burning soon. I rather doubt that I will lose anything this week after a comparatively good start, but will press on. Maybe the trousers will fit next week!

Good luck JGwen with the blood tests. And best wishes to everyone in the group for a healthier week. xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you for setting this up S-G and very good news about your daughters hand👍
    7lbs gone is positive caronl 👏👏
    I’m at the moment taking it easy watching tennis at Queens on the tv and looking forward to seeing how Andy Murray and the other Brits do. It’s beef stir fry for supper with extra white cabbage thrown in and I will probably have some noodles but staying below 800 calories today The sun has gone now with a very grey sky so probably more showers to come today but hopefully Queens won’t be rained off.
    On we all go with best feet forward!
    Margaret

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi all,
    Glad your daughter’s finger is OK S-G, and good luck everyone with various blood tests and medical appointments.
    I weighed in at 12st 8.4lb this morning, so up again from where I was last week 🙁 but I’m keeping on the 16:8 TRE and 2 meals of protein and salad/veg mostly, but I did get a compliment yesterday at work from a colleague, so I’ll take that as a positive.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello everyone.
    I know I’m not the best of posters but I have 10 weeks until my next trip and I am going to do my best to contribute to this board.
    S-g and Wendy thank you so much for keeping this going!
    So I’m back to basics …. yet again…. but …. still not giving up on a healthier life. It’s not all about weight and how we look it’s just as important to be healthy on the inside!
    So today, for the first time in an age, I’ve made sure I drink plenty water. It’s so easy to forget!
    I tried on a dress today that I knew would be tight … it was! But at least I’m facing the facts.
    We each have to face up to our own issues and address them.
    So I’ve started on a 10 week journey. Doing my very best not to eat crisps or any other nonsense!
    I’m not ‘working’ just toward my next trip I’m really trying to stay as ‘healthy’ as I can!
    So, let’s hope this week is a good one…. nearly July!!!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi All,
    Last week didn’t work out too well for my planned goal of getting more sleep. Life got in the way. But I do feel better, likely after the daytime rest that going back to my desk job gave me. I’ll try again this week to get more sleep, but might not be able to start on that until after Thursday, which is when my window replacement is happening. I’m doing extra work until then to make sure that all the weeds are cleared away outside so they can put the scaffolding up safely. I cleaned the room upstairs where the window is going on the weekend, but still have to make more room to manuver through the front hall in case they want to bring it in that way. It is quite a large window.
    S-g – glad to hear your daughter is doing well so far, and glad she has had a plastic surgeon looking after it. I had a run in with a french door when I was young and had 63 stitches in my right hand with 27 on my middle finger alone because the glass sliced through the tendon on that finger. Sounds impressive to have had so many stitches, but because it was a plastic surgeon that fixed me up, they were very tiny stitches, so lots of them. Of course you can still see the scars, but I have a fully functional hand (after 6 months of physio for the tendon injury) which is the most important thing as you say.
    Had an inkling of good news to come at work today. It seems that next month my work unit may get shuffled away from the big boss that has been causing me problems. Fingers crossed that is true as my stress levels will likely go down considerably..
    We had very close to 10mm of rain between Monday and today, so I’m taking the evening off gardening and will cook a curry for dinner before I get on with the tidying up. Then I should have lots of portions left over for the rest of the week.

on

Back again. Weight is also back down so I can say a zero loss for last week but heading for some success before next Tuesday.

Doctors this afternoon, when am I not at one doctor or another, this time to sort out my urine infection, which is exactly what it is. I take a print out of all my results with me in case doc hasnt had a chance to look at them. However, the new intern started photocopying them, results from pee test and results for the doppler on my legs. I asked her why she didnt just look at them on-line as she would have also received them. She said paper copies were better for her dossier. So I guess this is part of her training and she has sent me for so many tests to fulfil her record of outcomes. Oh well, at least I am getting a full overhaul.

We have had quite a bit of rain over the last couple of days and it has been nice and cool (28 degrees) but my courgettes are going crazy. I am running out of recipes – soups, ratatouille, fritters, piling into anything like bolognaise and tonight in my omelette, giving them away and I still have 6 in the fridge and more growing.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello everyone. I’m SO GLAD the site is back up. Whew!
    I hope you’ve all been ok over the past few days. I really missed being able to read everyone’s updates.
    I have been trying a new path this week. I have had terrible tummy problems for over 10 years, with very slow (or none!) transit through my system. (sorry TMI!) I am doing low FODMAP to see if that helps. Has anyone else done FODMAP? I know that some foods block me up very badly (bread, pizza, etc) and I mostly avoid those anyway, but I am interested to see if other foods are causing me problems too. Early days yet – as I will try to stick to this for 6 weeks.
    It will mean that I will be on higher carbs – but will still probably be around 50-60g a day. And I have started back at the gym!
    Shout out to Wendy and SunshineGirl .
    Merry

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Likewise – I’m glad the website is back. JGwen was suggesting on the other thread to create a backup facebook group, which could be a good idea. My normal browser was showing a security issue, so I tried a different one and that one was showing that the domain name was no longer active, so I really thought the site was done and was feeling the loss for sure!
    I’ve had a rough few days. For some reason, I was feeling quite nauseous Sunday through Tuesday and struggling to eat. I mostly had smoothies with fruit and protein powder, but it wasn’t enough or not low carb enough to keep me going. I was googling what to eat when hungry but nauseous and everything kept saying toast, so last night I broke down and bought a cape seed loaf which was the lowest carb one I could find and as it is made in a proper bakery, at least it isn’t ultra-processed. It seems to have helped and I’m feeling somewhat better today.
    It’s been quite warm the past few days, so that may have contributed to how I’m feeling. No cooking for me, but luckily because I haven’t been eating much, I still had some batch cooked white beans in the fridge that I was able to have in a salad for my dinner tonight. Very good with some greens, beet pickle, and haloumi. I’ve made some lime popsicles (ice lollies) with diluted lime juice and a bit of monk fruit sweetener to help get me through the next couple of days. We’ve lost our cool nights for now, so it is making sleeping a bit difficult. My window install didn’t happen, unfortunately, so that isn’t helping either. The window arrived last week but one of the crew was ill that day and it is such a large and heavy window that it is a 3 man job apparently. So it’s a bit disappointing as I should have had better airflow upstairs during this hot spell. I’ll have to call and follow up with the company tomorrow as they were supposed to book me in again soon, but I’ve yet to hear from them.
    Hope everyone is doing well!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning everyone & I’m very pleased to be able to access this site again😀 I emailed the tech team on the Fast 800 site to try to get some explanation as to why this site was no longer accessible in case they had any information but so far no reply from them!
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties Merry & arcticfox & I hope you will both soon be feeling better👍
    Since last Saturday I have weirdly gained 1.5 lbs despite keeping to my calorie allowance but didn’t sleep well for a couple of nights so low energy & rather sedentary because I’ve been sitting knitting squares as part of our village knit & natter project to make lap blankets for a local old people’s home & beading & threading making bracelets for our WI Christmas fund raising craft table. I’m off on holiday for a week with with my husband & youngest son to stay in a cottage in Somerset on Saturday which will be more challenging for me food wise with a mixture of self catering & eating out. I’m going to fast from supper last night until supper this evening & again tomorrow to try to shed some weight before weighing on Saturday to try to meet my own target of losing 7lbs in weight in June.
    I do hope this thread & website can keep going🤞🤞🤞🤞
    Margaret

• posted by happysnap
    on

Hi again everyone, I am SO GLAD this site is up and running again!!
    I think the absence of the site made me realize how much I need you guys; I was panicking at the thought of having to do this without all of you… lets count our blessings that its back and keep our fingers crossed that no more technical issues crop up!
    so- I am getting really bad at posting, even though i am constantly reading the updates and cheering on the progresses from my own screen. I last posted the saga of my unplanned pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage.
    What happened was utter madness, a roller coaster of daily appointments, blood tests and scans because the numbers (hcg) were going up whilst nobody could spot this pregnancy anywhere (which they call a pregnancy of unknown location or PUL)… seen loads of consultants and drs and stuff. Last week Friday I had an appointment to remove the contents of the womb by suction- pretty uncomfortable but nothing terrible. Today I had another blood test to confirm that the numbers are indeed coming down, because if they aren’t, then i’ll need a laparoscopic surgery to explore what exactly is going on.
    So basically because I have been spending many, many hours in hospital waiting rooms, I have NOT been managing to stick to LCHF at all, nor have I done any fasting. I am wreaking havoc on my body and I wish I could stop this, but I’m too physically and emotionally drained!!
    I’m hoping for good news from the blood test in the morning and hopefully that will give me the impetus to just get back on track.
    The good news is that on the scale, I haven’t gained any weight (don’t ask me how). But I really need to get back into the swing of things and LOSE WEIGHT!!
    I’m grateful to have all of you back here on this journey with me. its truly impossible to do this on my own…
    For some reason I am very confused with who’s who, Wendy and Margaret and Sunshine Girl you are all one big mush in my mind so i’m sorry I can’t comment on everyone’s individual journey but I wish everyone both scale and NS victories.
    Thank you for sharing your journeys with all of us here and for being so supportive!!

• posted by happysnap
    on

I should add that emotionally I am finding this all very hard. I am by nature a very positive person (hence my name, HappySnap!!) and it takes a lot to get me down, but I suppose its only normal to be feeling down and depressed following this whole rollercoaster. My husband is trying his best to encourage me but the problem is that I’m reverting back to emotional eating- which I know doesn’t help…

Gosh I am such a mess.

on

Hello everyone, well that is a relief. Being me, I thought it was just me who had been kicked off the site and wracking my brains as to what I had done wrong. Contacting Wendy (Wendleg) I quickly discovered it wasnt just me. Anyway we are back and running, it would be nice if admin gave us some indication of what went wrong – didn’t pay their licence fee:)

I find being without the site leaves a bit of a gap in my daily life and sometimes think – oh I must mention that – then realise I have no-one to talk to about things.

Merry, my daughter did FODMAP due to similar problems. She has a terrible digestive system. She has since done the Zoe full course hoping it will help improve her gut bacteria but had the set back of taking antibiotics when the cat bit her. Her finger is almost healed and doesnt look too bad except for a bit of a dent.

Margaret, I think we put ourselves unto too much pressure, I know I do. It is hard to be perfect in perfectly every way. If you do gain during your holiday it will come off all the faster when you get back on it. I know I lost 3.5lbs in the first week back, but since then just half a pound. Still, it is better than not losing. Doubt very much if I will even make up for the 5.7lbs gain by the end of June.

Arctic, I too came up with the same responses, VPN not secure and then managed to get to a site that said the BDS was up for licence renewal or resale. I also am having trouble sleeping, it is hot here at around 28/32 every day but that hasnt bothered me. It is my legs, I feel as though I cant keep still. I still have my soap in the bed but it doesnt seem to be helping. Last night I was still awake at 3.30 so I got up for half an hour. My fitbit says I went to sleep at 4.06 and had 3.30 hrs sleep. I was up early as we were expecting the hedge cutting to happen and hubby was going for blood tests so I didnt want to be in bed or in pjs when the bloke turned up. He still hasnt arrived. Much like your window frames.

Happysnap, I am so glad you are able to share your thoughts and feelings with us. Your head must be in a right old spin with what you have gone through lately. As for the confusion with our names – Wendleg and Sunshine-Girl are the admin type people on this particular thread, set it up, contribute and keep it going. However, Wendleg has the real name Wendy. I have only just stopped calling the other Wendy, Wendy1947 to distinguish between the 2 wendys, but to complicate it more, Wendy1947 has the real name Margaret. Hope that sort of explains things. There is also another person who helps with the thread called SunnyB, she is away at the moment on extended holiday, so there will be confusion between the 2 sunnys.

I have been sticking to it but not quite back to the 800 cals daily although mainly below 900. I am swimming every day for at least 30 mins, yesterday 40 mins. I try to time it that I do a kilometre each time so it depends on how many times I have to go and reset my deezer play and then have to add more minutes. So. just 4lbs down this month so far but I am very proud that I have stuck to the no alcohol rule except for one evening. when I was worried about my daughter when she was kept in hospital to have her finger operated on. Any excuse:) If I continue as I have been until Monday (we are out for a meal), maybe I will hit the 5.7lbs goal I originally set.

If someone sets up a FB site please let me know and we can all keep in touch. The only difference is that your real names and personal details are readily available on FB and that might not suit everyone.

The weekend is nearly upon us so enjoy and stay good and healthy.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all, Sharing your relief and happiness that this site is back up. I had messaged DR MM via his agent, contacted sister web sites, and signed up to the Facebook group in the hope of finding some of you. It just demonstrated how much I appreciate the site, the people, and all the resources and advice we have built up. It felt very weird that in my 6th year here, I didn’t have the contact details of anyone. Wendleg could you rerun the exercise of collecting emails? I would really appreciate it.

After three weeks of healthier eating and more or less daily exercise, I am down another 0.6 kg this week, so 3.3kgs altogether. Over half a stone now. I expected the weight loss to slow this week, so am not despondent. And I am sitting here wearing a pair of trousers comfortably that I could not button up 3 weeks ago – so result!

Sending very best wishes to HappySnap and wishing you well. It sounds as if you have had a really rough few weeks. Sunshine girl I am full of admiration for all that swimming.

Best wishes to all – in renewed friendship!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello again & much kudos to everyone struggling with what life throws at you & carrying on👍
    I ended up being so hungry yesterday I caved in & had a tin of tomato soup for lunch so only 16 TRE hours but did stick to eating below 800 calories & I’m now just having a coffee so have broken my fast again after 13 hours. Lunch will be chunky courgette, prawn & leek soup with a small salmon steak with pesto & asparagus & kale for supper. I weighed this morning & weirdly have gone down two pounds but have been spending many pennies so I have no idea what my body is doing right now. I will weigh tomorrow & will be pleased overall if I have stayed the same weight as last week!
    I’m off to the holiday cottage in Somerset tomorrow & it looks like there will be showers most days but we will be out & about & probably going into the caves in Wookey Hole & Cheddar Gorge where I will buy some of the fabulous cave matured Cheddar Cheese.
    I hope you all have a relaxing & enjoyable weekend 👍🤞
    Margaret

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve had a really good morning so far. I fasted until 11:30 while I was out getting my morning horse chores done and some garden work. I’ve harvested flowers and they are sitting in cool water waiting for me to arrange them and to put them out at the end of the drive. I just need to have a little sit down and drink some cool fluids first. Finally got my green beans planted as well. That was a big job. We’re so dry that I put loads of composted horse manure down on top of the soil, soaked it with water, then pushed the bean seeds down into it so that they are resting between the soil and the compost and then soaked it again. Hopefully that will work and the compost will hold the moisture in and help keep the weeds down. I have a bit of room left at the end of the row, so will have to think of something to plant there. I have some kabocha squash that need to be hardened off and planted out, but I have a different area ready for them.
    My window install has been re-booked for Wednesday, so I’m happy about that, and we’re forecasted to have slightly cooler nights Sunday through Tuesday so that should help with the sleep until then. I have given up wearing my compression garments for now as it’s just too hot, and my legs are back to feeling like they’re made of concrete. I will have to go for a swim this afternoon and see if that helps and try to do some self manual lymphatic drainage. My massage therapist is away for several weeks, and my extended health benefits for massage are now all used up for the year, so I’m going to have to find a way to cope on my own anyway.
    Ok, back to work for me. Keep on keeping on everyone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.