Lower weight, higher body fat %…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by apoconor
    on

Hi Everyone,
    I am 2 weeks into the Fast 800 BSD.

Week 1: showed great progress – I lost 2.8 kg (85.3kg to 82.5 kg) and 2.8% body fat. Kept to the diet very strictly, had 1 glass of wine to celebrate progress but that was the only cheat.

Week 2 (issue week): I could see I’ve lost weight around my stomach (starting to see my abs again), weigh in this morning I’ve lost 1.9 kg but put on 1% body fat… which is the opposite of what I am after.

As a rugby player I train twice a week, play once a match once a week and will do weights 1-3 times a week (only once a week in the past fortnight). I try to eat a few handfuls of cashew nuts before training and an extra egg in the morning on a game day, with an apple straight after the game. I am worried my body is going into “starvation mode” and storing fat due to the low calories.

Any thoughts on how to adapt the diet so my body fat % decreases? My weight I am now quite happy with, although I know it may go down a bit more.

Thanks in advance!

• posted by Patsy
    on

What makes you think your body fat % has gone up? It doesn’t sound likely if you’re losing weight, especially if you’re training so won’t be losing muscle.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh I get it you lost 2.8% and now gained 1%, that is neither here nor there, just a glitch, what are you measuring on, home scales are really way out. Just like most things that tell us about our bodies without actually knowing anything about us. Dont worry, you cant be losing muscle at this stage and your training will stand you in good stead.

• posted by apoconor
    on

Thanks Patsy, it’s comforting to know I probably haven’t put in fat/lost muscle. I’m using a body composition scales at my gym – has sensors on your feet and hands. Measures a lot of different things, including body fat %.

• posted by apoconor
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl, great to hear I’m unlikely to be losing muscle mass. Will keep going as I am and stop worrying about it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The way I understand it the most likely reason for the variation is different hydration levels, maybe one day was hotter than the other, or after a more intense training session. Keep on with both the diet and the training and you will soon be showing the results.

• posted by Hil1502
    on

Is that something like the Boditrax system at david lloyds? They’re pretty good but can vary…I checked myself before training and after and the results were wildly different. I think, if you’re not already, the answer is to check on the monitor maybe once a week, same-ish time of day and always pre-training and look at the trends over time. Short of a dexa scan we’re not going to get accurate answers.

Please log in or register to post a reply.