Lack of success

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jinty83
    on

Hi I have been following diet for seven weeks faithfully and have only lost 11 lbs. I have not been excercising specifically but not sitting just moving about the house. I have found i5 har£ to drink two litres of water are these factors significant

• posted by alliecat
    on

Jinty83, have you been weighing and measuring all of your food, and using an app to count your net
    carbs, or just using the recipe book?

• posted by Jinty83
    on

I found the book to be not clear enough. I have two eggs for breakfast a ham salad for lunch or tuna salad dinner pork chop and stir fry cabbage I also have bolognaise with courgette spaghetti. I have had roast chicken and caulking flower. I do try to keep things simple and I am strict and do not cheat at all

• posted by alliecat
    on

Jinty, it is clear that you have been eating very “cleanly”, and that there isn’t a heavy carb load with
    your choices. No wonder you are confused. The only possibility that comes to my mind has do
    with your macros, i.e., how many grams of protein do you eat each day? Are you keeping to 800 cal.?
    Everyone has a different experience, but exercise didn’t have any role to play in my weight loss.
    I did drink 3 liters of water ea. day. My rate of loss was quite average, 14lbs per month x 10 months.
    Maybe we could take a closer look at your macros: protein gm, net carb gm, and fat gm. We’d
    really like to help you figure this out!

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Jinty83

I wonder if the water is something to do with it as you say. I’ve never been consistent with my water intake but have noticed that in the weeks when I push myself to drink more water I do seem to lose a bit more.
    I think keeping things simple is good, but as Allie asks, have you been weighing everything and logging how many carbs you’re having. This was really important in helping me lose the weight, as was keeping the carbs low. I had to go under 20 carbs to lose weight. You may not need to go that low but may need to go lower than you’re currently on. But also, I think some people just lose weight more slowly than others.

I know you must be frustrated particularly as you’ve been strict and I do sympathise but losing 11lb is still pretty good.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Jinty83, 2 litres is a lot but if you get a 1 litre water bottle and fill it 2/3 full…..set a goal to drink that 2/3 before lunch, another 2/3 in the pm, and the final 2/3 after dinner it seems to go more easily. Its odd but I am preferring hot water right now per the cold weather. Will drink cool but not cold water in the summer. I do find it makes a difference that is more than just flushing salt/edema.

And when you are doing your tuna and ham salad, just checking to make sure its a true mayo you are using. Miracle Whip has sugar in it. Check all your food lables for hidden carbs or sugar. Things like tomato sauce surprise you.

But as Allie says, weigh and measure everything for one week and see if that makes a difference. Also keep animal protein to about 6 oz for the day, ideally split over at least 2 meals so not all at the same time.

I feel for you. You say you have lost 11 lbs having completed 7 weeks. That is about 3 lbs shy of what you could reasonably expect if you are at 800 calories and keeping carbs under 20 g (which sounds like you are from the few items you listed). Has it been a stead loss over the last couple of weeks? It may be that you are in for a “woosh” as many of us have seen skimpy weeks only to be rewarded with a larger than normal loss at some point, and I do think the water helps facilitate that.

Hang in there. 11 lbs is still a substantial loss and persistance is sure to win out. But do weigh and measure just so you are sure what you are eating. Its worth the bother….and once you do that for a meal, you have that meal “certified” as safe for the future and will no how to count it. And with measuring you get better and better with estimating. I have been doing this for years and still routinely do a reality check even with amounts I am “sure” of. That 1/2 cup of yogurt will grow a tiny bit bigger with time if you don’t measure and reaffirm just how far up that small bowl a 1/2 actually reaches.

Have faith….we are all pulling for you.

• posted by marie123
    on

Luvtcook – Your comments about how much animal protein to have and splitting it across meals if possible is timely and helpful advice for me – I was about to go back to the BSD book to see if it identified how much animal protein I should be having within a single meal. Cheers.

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

I started this diet on February 7th and lost 2 lb the first day and 1 lb the second day but nothing since so I’m feeling really disillusioned at the moment as i’m weighing everything and only eating 2 meals each day, Breakfast at 10.30am and dinner at 5 pm so that allows me a daily 18 hour fast too. My carbs are under 30% so I’m unsure where I’m going wrong? I’m swimming 3 to 4 times a week and doing over 10000 steps most days. I lost 7 lb just normal calorie counting in the 3 weeks prior to starting this diet but then the weight stopped coming off which is why I tried this diet. I was formerly on up to 1600 calories so its a massive difference. I’m drinking loads of water too so anyone else had a slow start that came good please? Feeling desperate

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you are struggling Jacshadow, slow loss can be very disheartening and frustrating. Could you be a little clearer on your carb intake – how many grams of carbs does your 30% equate to? If we know this, it might be easier to advise. It would seem you are doing everything else right, so I think it might be a carb issue. One thought, are you including fats in your menu, as these are important for getting the body into fat burning mode.

Like you, I lost much more slowly than others, but once into the routine of the BSD, I lost consistently, which for me was perhaps more important than big losses at one go. Overall, I am 3st (42lb) lighter than when I started and whilst by some standards this is not a massive amount, it equates to a smidge over 20% of my starting body weight. So, I guess what I’m saying is the BSD works and the biggest secret is to stick with it, even when things don’t seem to be happening.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Jacshadow, like Sunny, I wonder what you mean by 30% carbs? Also, when you did 3 weeks on
    a different plan, how many 8 oz glasses of water were you drinking each day? And now? How many
    grams of protein per day? The Fast800 is a miracle way of life for many of us. Don’t give up! With
    the additional info, I’m sure we can get to the cause of your problem. There is ALWAYS an explanation
    and a remedy 🙂

Allie

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

I wasn’t drinking an awful lot of water on my other plan but I am making a big effort now. Yesterdays’s diet ( I use fatsecret app) was 41.42 g fat. 62.22g of carbs, and 34.92g of protein. so 33% carbs 49% fat and 18% protein and todays was fat 22.53 g fat, carbs 61.26g, and 62.82g protein so carbs 35% fat 29%and protein 36% . I actually dropped another 1lb today which was great, Today was lower in fat than usual as mostly its around the high 30s to 40s. I eat a lot of olives, avocados and feta cheese. I don’t tend to eat red meat except bacon on occasion and mostly its oily fish or chicken that is the main stay of my diet.
    I eat a lot of raw spinach 250 grams per day as i use it instead of bread at breakfast and in place of potatoes/rice/pasta etc at dinner. I really miss sweet potatoes and butternut squash as i used to eat them regularly. I do add pickled red onions and pickled slices of lemons to my salads to give them a bit more bite.
    I would be glad of any advice and thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my posts. It is much appreciated 🙂 Jac

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Thank you for replying Sunny. I have pasted and copied the same reply to you as I did to Allie as you both ask very similar questions. Every diet I have ever tried only works for a few weeks then the weight comes of painstakingly slow so it feels like a real drag and yet I gain weight very easily. I did Slimming world for 17 years then it just stopped working, I’ve tried the 5.2 diet, low carb but nothing except keeping my calories really low ever seems to work. I think after almost 33 years of trying to regulate my weight my metabolic rate is totally confused ( and that’s putting it lightly ;))
    I will now paste my reply to Allie which gives the info on fat , carbs and protein. Thank you again
    I wasn’t drinking an awful lot of water on my other plan but I am making a big effort now. Yesterdays’s diet ( I use fatsecret app) was 41.42 g fat. 62.22g of carbs, and 34.92g of protein. so 33% carbs 49% fat and 18% protein and todays was fat 22.53 g fat, carbs 61.26g, and 62.82g protein so carbs 35% fat 29%and protein 36% . I actually dropped another 1lb today which was great, Today was lower in fat than usual as mostly its around the high 30s to 40s. I eat a lot of olives, avocados and feta cheese. I don’t tend to eat red meat except bacon on occasion and mostly its oily fish or chicken that is the main stay of my diet.
    I eat a lot of raw spinach 250 grams per day as i use it instead of bread at breakfast and in place of potatoes/rice/pasta etc at dinner. I really miss sweet potatoes and butternut squash as i used to eat them regularly. I do add pickled red onions and pickled slices of lemons to my salads to give them a bit more bite.
    I would be glad of any advice and thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my posts. It is much

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That is quite a lot of carbs, most people try to stick below 50g of net carbs (fibre is subtracted from total carbs to get net carbs, check whether your site does this), which I think works out to about 25% if you are used to thinking about macros in percent terms. Some people who are insulin resistant need to drop this even further to 20g or about 10% if they stop losing weight.

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Thank you mixnmatch I will try to alter things to get my carbs down. As I’m still new to this I believed by not eating bread, pasta, rice etc I was doing it right. Back to the drawing board me thinks ;)) Much appreciated

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi there, Jacshadow, and thank you for including your stats. It appears to me that your carbs are
    really too high, and your protein is too low. This is a low carb, moderate protein, high fat style of
    eating. It is generally accepted that carb grams need to be less than 50 per day. 30 per day is a
    figure used by many. Those of us who are highly insulin resistent have had to drop to 20 or less
    to achieve the results we were looking for. I find your fat grams at high 30’s-low 40’s pretty spot on.
    Jac, I’m one of the highly insulin members of this community, though not either pre diabetic
    or T2. Are you doing the Fast800? When I dropped to <20g of carbs, I consistently loss 14lbs per
    monjth x 10 months, essentially 50% of my body weight in 10 months. Carbs were the key for me!
    I kept to 800cal and 20g carbs and used this formula to calculate my protein requirements. Once
    done, the fats took care of themselves and didn’t require daily counting. It might be really useful
    to you to use the following to examine your protein:

1g of protein for every 1 – 1.5 kg of IDEAL body weight, the higher number for those that do
    a lot of weight or gym/strength training.

Alcohol has a role to play in holding on to the pounds as well. I abstained for the 10 months
    with the exception of 2 holidays. On both of those occasions I picked up 1.5 lbs, and it took
    an entire week to undo the damage. Just my experience, but something to consider?
    Three liters of water per day made a significant impact also. I know I’ve probably given you
    a lot to consider!
    Very best of luck to you. We’re always happy to answer questions, so let us know how we
    can help 🙂

Allie

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Hi Allie
    If keeping to 800 Cals and doing a daily fast of 18 hours is the fast 800 then yes that’s what I’m trying! I’m still new to all the terminology 😊I’m not prediabetic (as far as I know) or T2 (I’m learning 😂) I’m just desperate for results and keeping healthy. I appreciate your insight and will try to do as you advised and get my carbs below 50 grams initially, then lower if need be. It’s hard because I usually fill up on loads of vegetables but I’ll try larger portions of fish and chicken ( skin on, calories allowing) more olives which I love and see how it goes. I’ll also TRY to cut out my one glass of daily wine (most days)😢 and eat a few more nuts. I love nuts😊
    Thanking you in advance for putting me on the road to success 😆 jac x

• posted by alliecat
    on

I think you already have a good grasp of the Fast800, Jacshadow, and you should do very well.
    It’s great that you are using an app to track macros and weighing and measuring everything!
    Those carbs are sneaky little devils, and hide everywhere…Who would have thought a medium
    onion would contain net 9.6 carbs, or a medium apple 16??
    Being a member of the community and posting regularly is also of great benefit, regardless of
    where we are on this journey to a healthier life.
    Very best to you! Enjoy the ride 🙂

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jacshadow, sorry I’ve been preoccupied with my grand daughter so have only just caught up with the forum posts. Anyway, it seems others have already been given you the information, that your carb intake has been on the high side and that is probably why your weight loss was not happening as you would want. If you can push your carbs down and proteins up, you should see a more consistent loss. It’s more helpful to look at the grams of carbs, as opposed to the per centage they account for, try not to be above 50g carbs a day and then as you say, lower still further if consistent weight loss hadn’t happened.

It would help if you could ditch the glasses of wine too, as alcohol really does seem to mess with weight loss. I can pretty much guarantee when I had a drink my loss would stall. And now that I’m in maintenance, on occasions I even see an increase on the scales if I drink – admittedly due to fluid retention, but no one wants to see an increase.

Hope now what you have information on how to adjust your protein and carb intake, you will be seeing improved weight loss with steady results. We’ll be looking forward to reading your results.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Jinty, you say you’ve ‘only lost 11 lbs’. I think you’re being hard on yourself. That’s nearly a stone!

Do try some of the advice the others have given you, but please don’t think you’re a failure.

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Thank you Sunny B . Grandchildren are the best things to occupy us. I’ll be minding mine this week. 😊I have already noted a difference and have started to lose again so I’m very grateful for everyone’s advice and for taking time out of your busy lives to reply☺I’m going to record my weight loss in one weeks time. I’m surprised at not feeling incredibley hungry now as I was in the first few days too. All positive 😊thank you x

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Oops I just pressed report post instead of reply so hope nothing comes of it. I pressed the back button as soon as I realised. Sorry about that😕thank you Allie for all the positives. I’m feeling much more optimistic now and losing again 😀 at present the only downside is I have a continuous headache. But having said that I’ve always suffered headaches just this one is 24/7. Has anyone else experience this? 😕x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad things are progressing well Jacshadow. Enjoy your grandchildren and keep us posted on progress when you can.

• posted by Jinty83
    on

Hi everyone. Just to say I was at the nurse yesterday my weight according to her was 1and a half stone less then when I started 8 weeks ago. My blood glou one was 6.2. So I am very happy. Thank you for all your support. I am going to do another 8 weeks and will keep going until I lose the other stone I need. I think this eating plan is very good but you must always plan and ensure you have the correct food in. I travelled for a couple of days and had to take everything I needed with me. Carbs are everywhere. As everyone says keep going it is worth it in the end or at least it will be

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Just a quick update. Since adjusting my carbs to under 50 grams (normally around 35 ) I’m constantly losing small amounts that have added up to a further 5 lb so that’s 8 lb in total since starting the 8 week diet 19 days ago😀thank you all for your advice 😊

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Haven’t been around much in the last few days, so have only just seen your post Jacshadow. Good news that lowering the carb intake has worked – keep on keeping on!

Please log in or register to post a reply.