Keeping proteins up using meal planner from 800-week diet recipe book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hesperis
    on

Having purchased the 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book I have been looking at the meal planner at the back. Earlier on readers are advised to, “Include plenty of high-protein (at least 40-50g per day.)” but adding up the protein from the individual recipes suggested does not give anywhere enough. For instance Week 1, Monday has a total of only 31g. This is taken from the nutritional information given on the recipe pages. How are we meant to square following the suggestions on the planner with receiving adequate protein levels please?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Firstly welcome Hesperis, secondly dont take too much notice of the nutritional scores on the recipes as some are out by around an allowed tolerance of 10% and some are just way out. Use an app like FatSecret or Sparkpeople or there are others or just google each item individually as you plan your meals, a bit of a faff but you will get to know and wont need to do it all the time. If you feel you are not getting all the protein you need then add some ham, an egg, a cube of cheese. Whatever it is you can snack on. Good luck.

By the way just looked at week 1 day one and the thai red curry seems to be totally wrong on protein as half a large chicken breast (say 200g) would easily come to 30g protein, I think they have calculated it without the chicken – doh

• posted by Hesperis
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl, that does make a lot of sense – especially about the Thai red curry protein! I will try the apps you recommend. It is just such a shame that the meal planners are really no good at all if you cannot use them to easily plan a day’s meals that are ready calorie counted plus adequate on protein. It kind of defeats the object of including them at all. Very new to all this so was hoping for something simple!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes, it annoys me that the calories are not correct but also in the original BSD 8 week book he doesn’t quote the carbs at all. I would also like the page number of the recipe next to the meal so I can quickly turn to it in the book. Was looking for something called Perfect Scrambled Egg – not under P for perfect or S for scrambled eggs but found it under E for Eggs variations. Makes sense I suppose but that was an obvious example, there are others that are not so obvious.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, kids! TRy to keep in mind that this is a low carb, MODERATE protein, and high (healthy) fat way of eating.
    What keeps us satiated is the fats and fibers, not the protein. Excess protein is stored in the body much like carbs.
    I only know the stats for women, but within a calorie restriction of 800 cal. per day, 50-60g is plenty. Sunshinegirl
    is right hesperis. The calorie counts are way off in the book, and are routinely underestimated 🙂 Best of luck
    to all new travelers here!

Allie

• posted by Hesperis
    on

Haha, yes I’ve already started pencilling in the page numbers on the meal planner.

• posted by Hesperis
    on

Thanks Allie, I feel a bit more reassured now.

Please log in or register to post a reply.