Keeping In Touch during Covid-19

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi and welcome!

This thread is in place of the regular monthly thread that has been running for some time now; most recently Motivated and Measured in March.

It’s for those who would like to resume serious Fast 800 effort at some stage but are currently in a “holding pattern”. Those who want to keep eating well, and sticking to BSD principles wherever possible, but who are not currently in the place to want to set goals or strictly measure carbs and cals.

Anyone is welcome here just to keep in touch, stay with the BSD during this time, and cheer each other up! As soon as life resumes some semblance of normality we will set up another monthly thread and take it from there. (For those that want a bit more focus on Fast800 during this time do check out the fabulous One Week at a Time threads that are still running in this forum).

Stay safe and well everyone, and do keep in touch X

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello and thank you dreamscometrue for setting up this thread.
    The Covid 19 pandemic has frightened me immensely and as a result I have felt it necessary to think about my nutrition and getting myself in optimum health to give myself a fighting chance when I get it. I am not weighing myself at the moment and am not even trying to lose any weight. . I am grateful that the hard work I have put in over the last three years has now got me into a healthy weight range. I will, of course, need to be mindful of what I eat whilst not weighing because I need to fit in my clothes but I don’t feel inclined to be strict with myself at the moment. I am trying not to comfort eat and am walking daily for exercise now that I am retired. My retirement plans are on hold but my alam clock is now redundant. I will continue to read the forum and follow your progress. Good luck everyone and stay safe in these unprecedented and difficult times.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for setting this thread up DCT,
    Cathy I was sorry to read about your husband’s job. It’s good that you are retired now, even though it may be a little while before you can take your retirement holiday 🙂 I’m looking forward to retirement, although it’s about 5 years away for me still. I’m on leave at the moment and hoping to be able to work from home after Easter, especially as I have suppressed immunity.
    I’m also just focussing on staying well and eating healthily. I do still need to lose weight but I’d be happy to just maintain for now. I’ve been following the principles of BSD just not restricting calories. I do still log foods in My Fitness Pal though (old habits die hard!).
    On the tv today they were saying the lockdown restrictions could be in for 6 months, I sincerely hope not! I do appreciate being safe at home, but still, 6 months… I’m trying not to think about it and just focus on one day at a time.
    Take care everyone – we are all in this together, no matter where we are in the world.

on

Hi Cathy and Sue and anyone else reading this.

Just a quick check-in message to check you are all safe and well? I do hope so.

I’m doing ok and getting used to the new normal. I try to keep busy and positive. I love watching the news (always have) but am trying not to do that so much because you just get overloaded with information (or lack of it) and feel overwhelmed. I’m getting into a daily routine of getting up early to work, then walking the dog, then either doing stuff round the house or taking time to chill out without feeling guilty. I’m still aiming to eat and drink along BSD principles and doing pretty well most days. Would still like to lose more weight – around 10lb – so I do check the scales now and then, and am currently maintaining. But I’m no longer in a rush and am prioritising health and well-being (of which good nutrition is a huge part anyway!) rather than being completely strict.

Anyway, sending love to you two lovely ladies and to anyone else reading this. Stay well and stay in touch, and we’ll smash our targets once all this is over X

on

Hi DCT and Sue

All OK here thankfully. I am frightened of getting Covid and so am sticking rigidly to the rules. I go shopping once a week and that is it. Am feeling very lazy and don’t know how I ever managed to be at work at 7.45 am every morning! Am taking things leisurely and this week I have given myself a talking to and am back to following the principles of BSD. I am walking about 5000 steps a day which for me is brilliant. The injections I had in my arthritic toes means I can now walk relatively pain free. I am having coffee for breakfast and am being mindful of what I eat. I am not actively trying to lose weight but I don’t want to put any more on or else I won’t be comfortable in my clothes and I am NOT buying anything in a size 14! I am prioritising my nutrition and increasing my lung capacity by walking up steep slopes in the local park. I am asthmatic so I hope this is good for my lungs.

Let’s just take one day at a time like we did when we started together in January 2017. We have encountered a few blips along our journey together but this has to be the biggest one in my opinion. Being healthy has never been so important. Thank goodness we gave ourselves a head start by losing what we did during the last few years.

Wishing you both and anyone else who would like to stay in touch the best of health and well-being to get through the next few months in our own way and when we are hopefully through this we can resume our journey to goal weight once more.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi DCT and Cathy, glad to hear you are both well, you both have some very wise ideas there 🙂
    I too am shopping once a week, but am getting it delivered. I go for a walk to my local shops once a week also to collect mail from the post office, get prescriptions from the chemist, things like that. I wear a home made mask though. For exercise I’ve been doing the walk at home videos and today I also started doing laps around my garden. I walked for 25 minutes and it was 2,700 steps or about 2km. I’m going to aim for a 30 minute outdoor session each day and then also add in some indoor workouts, perhaps Pilates or something as well as the 15 minute YouTube walks. That should add up to an hours exercise per day anyway.
    I’ve got out of the habit of meditating so need to do that again, it was helping me stay in a good frame of mind when I was doing it before.
    Eating is ok-ish I’d say I’m sticking to plan 70% of the time, just a bit too much wine. It’s very tempting when my husband has a beer in the evening, I’m making sure I have every second day alcohol free though.
    My delivery came on Wednesday and I ordered lots of lovely fresh fruit and veg as well as chicken and some mince, so looking forward to doing some cooking this week, trying out more recipes from my Blood Sugar Diet and Fast 800 books. I made a lovely veg and chickpea curry earlier in the week, it’s surprising how far you can stretch a tin of chickpeas – I added all of the different veg I had left in the fridge before my delivery came.
    Work wise I don’t know what is going to happen. I was in a secondment part time role but that finishes next week and I really don’t want to go back to my usual full time role (due to health and personal reasons), I’m just going to play it by ear, there is so much going on at the moment with Corona virus my priority is just to stay as healthy as I can and to look after my family as well.
    I hope you both (and anyone else who is reading) have a lovely Easter, well as best you can given the circumstances and stay well x 🐣 🐣🐣

on

Hi Cathy and Sue, hope you are well? Hello to anyone else reading this too: please do post to let us know how you are X

I’m doing fine. No CV here touch wood. Sticking to the rules. I go out once a day to walk the dog : exploring new routes to keep well away form anyone else. Then the weekly shop, plus the odd foray to the pet shop (who operate on a one customer at a time policy). So am really doing my best.

This restricted way of life can really get you down but hopefully won’t go on forever. Isn’t it weird how we now look back on our old life (can you believe it’s only a few weeks ago!) as a totally different world!

Sue I hope that your work situation works out ok. I’m really lucky in that I do some freelance writing work from home which I can still do as my clients are all still operating. Financially I do need to do a bit more but will wait until some semblance of normality returns to try and build that up, as my spending is drastically curtailed at the moment anyway. So my new weekday routine consists of getting up early to do 2-3 hours writing then walking the dog then having the reminder of the day free to do stuff round the house/garden and chill out. Mostly the latter as I’m finding I don’t have much energy to do much else. Does anyone else find that? You have loads of good intentions and – theoretically – lots of time. But just can’t seem to get things done?

But I think now is a time to be kind to ourselves. Just do what we can, and allow ourselves to take the time to rest and relax.

Take care my lovely friends and stay well X

on

DCT and Sue and friends
    Lovely to read your update DCT. Like you, I am settling into our new, slower, way of life. I am now three weeks into my retirement and like you am staying safe, shopping once a week and going out daily for a walk. We are fortunate to live near a lovely woodland park and there is a beautiful lake and this year the blossoms are spectacular. Maybe, I’ve been too busy to notice them in the past!
    As for dieting, well, I am sticking to the BSD principles but have purposely not weighed myself! My gauge at the moment is my clothes. After wearing an NHS uniform for years, I am now enjoying wearing my own clothes since retirement some of which, I hasten to add are feeling a little snug! However, I don’t feel inclined to be too strict during the current situation and because I am walking about 7000 steps per day I feel that I am doing my best given the coronovirus lockdown.

I think this way of eating is embedded now and we know the rules. Weight loss is not my main focus at present but neither is getting too fat for my clothes. My main aim is to stay safe and optimise my nutrition and immune system. I am enjoying a lockdown lie in and taking life leisurely. My husband is home now as he is out of work and I was wondering if we would get on each other’s nerves but actually, we are enjoying our time together. The weather has helped us get through the first part of the lockdown and my house and garden have never been as tidy.
    Lovely to read how you’re getting through the day DCT.

Sue, hope you’re OK and keeping well.

Cathy

on

Today I decided that I need to get back to basics. I have decided to do an eight week BSD which will take me to my birthday. I have got my head around Covid 19 and the nervousness I felt when it first started in the UK when I was working and now that I am retired and socially distancing and following the advice to wash my hands and stay home I feel in a better place mentally to get back to taking ownership of what I eat. Still focusing on nutrition to optimise my chances should I be unfortunate to get the virus. The news that obesity plays a part has focused my attention on getting some excess blubber off. Also, I have got two lovely pairs of white jeans that don’t fit! I was going to put them on eBay then thought no…. if I do that and buy bigger ones then I am cheating myself. I want to be a comfortable size 12. So today I have been for my walk and stuck to low carb. I had cold pressed coffee with cream for breakfast, egg salad for lunch and for my evening meal I am having cauliflower cheese and two quorn sausages and some strawberries and Greek yoghurt. I went for my daily hour walk and clocked up 5300 steps. My toes can only manage that many steps but it’s about 5000 more than I did when I was working!. I haven’t been on the scales and don’t intend to go on them for a few weeks. I will use my clothes to gauge where I am up to and then may weigh myself mid May to see how I am doing in relation to where I was and where I want to be again! I did this before and so I hope I have the resolve to do it once more.

DCT and Sue I hope that you are both coping during this stressful time we find ourselves in. I have been reading the forum today and saw some familiar names of people who like me are trying to get back to doing what we know best.

Onwards and downwards hopefully now for me once again. I will be squeezing myself into those lovely white jeans slowly and surely week by week until they are comfortable once more. I should have been snorkelling in The Red Sea today but it was so hot in the garden this afternoon I was sitting in my shorts and t shirt and enjoying the wonderful spring weather so can’t complain about that!

on

Hi Cathy

So good to hear from you, and that you are back on track. Well done with your renewed efforts with diet and also upping your exercise. I’m sure you’ll be back in those white jeans very soon! Do keep in touch X

Sue hope you’re ok? Do check in so that we know how you are X

I’m doing well. This week I’ve really started to get my act together in terms of exercise. I’m doing a regular workout every day, supplemented by either another workout or weights. Am also feeling happy about my diet: I’m making conscious choices – even if they aren’t always the right ones. I still aim to lose another 10lb and would love that to be at a rate of 1lb per week but I know I’m not quite disciplined enough at the moment to expect that level of progress. But slow and steady will eventually win the race. I also follow the weekly thread to keep motivated.

Take care anyone reading this, and do post to keep in touch during Covid-19 X

• posted by caronl
    on

Just popping in to wish Clarinet Cathy lots of resolve and success. Your goal is well outside the realms of the possible for me – but I have some summer jeans that I want to get back into too, so will join you in a restart. I am trying to visualise reentry after lock-down liberation. And I definitely want to be back at my first choir rehearsal slimmer than I am now. DCT you sound very focused. Good luck too in your goals.

A friend shared a photo of Michelangelo’s statue David, alongside a spoof statue of “Covid”‘ – ie David with an excess 15 kilos. Made me laugh, but more than a grain of truth in it. A lethal combination of comfort eating and less movement must be resisted at all costs!

Stay healthy!

on

Caronl – thank you for your kind wishes. We both have the same goal- to get back into those summer jeans and feel comfortable. I’ve been sorting through my summer clothes this week and to be honest I look a dogs dinner in most of them. There’s nothing flattering about squeezing into clothes that are too tight. Those bulges don’t look or feel good. So whilst we are on lockdown I guess it’s the perfect time to make amends whilst nobody can see the bulges and when we get back to normal they’ll be gone. The Michelangelo spoof sounds like something that many of us will relate to. I know whilst I was anxious at the beginning of the Pandemic I thought what the hell and let things slide. It seems that there are a few of us making an effort to look positively forward to the end of the lockdown and get our resolve. Good luck to you Caronl. We can do this. Lunch today will be some cheese, celery and walnuts. No breakfast this morning just cold pressed coffee and cream (delicious).

Stay Home and Stay safe and keep well everyone and keep chipping away at the excess fat!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all, thanks for asking after me DCT & Cathy, I’ve been unwell – Shingles – yet again! But could be worse given the current circumstances so I’m not complaining.
    Work has sorted itself out, I can continue to work from home part time for the foreseeable future, so that’s one worry out of the way.
    I must admit I have got used to the slower pace of life and I quite enjoy it. I feel like before I was always rushing around, always planning what I was going to do next or where I needed to be… and now I’m just at home every day. It was hard at first but definitely has got easier, if it wasn’t for missing seeing my family and friends I could do this isolation/lockdown for a lot longer yet!
    I can feel the ‘kilo creep’ – I have been wearing yoga pants and comfy elasticated waist pants and today I tried on my work pants which were tight. I stood on the scales and found I’ve gained 2kg so will work on getting that off. I’ve still been mostly tracking my food and I’d average about 1200 calories per day, but some evenings have been having a glass or 3 of wine and I think this, coupled with less activity has caused the gain. I’m not too worried though as I have been up and down so many times over the past few years!
    We are having some lovely autumn weather at the moment, warm sunny days and cooler nights, so I’ve been sleeping a lot better than I was in the summer, so grateful for that.
    Take care my friends and good luck with your reboot Cathy 🙂

on

Hi Sue- sorry to hear you’ve been unwell with shingles- I believe it’s incredibly painful. Great that you can work from home- the safest place to be. Kilo creep is very familiar to me too and so are tight trousers hence why I am back to basics. Because of the Covid 19 pandemic I lost the plot with worry but have calmed down somewhat and feel I need to deal with the kilo creep before it gets totally out of hand. I am heavier than I have been for quite a long time but I am getting to grips with my diet and by embarking on my 8 week BSD I hope to lose a good amount of the excess and be nearer to where I want to be by June. I am quite happy with plodding slowly and ensuring I keep well but I definitely want to fit into my clothes. I can’t afford to buy new ones and have no desire to go up a size. Thank you for posting on the keeping in touch thread. Stay safe everyone and here’s to happier and healthier days ahead for us all.

on

Hi everyone.
    Sue it was so good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your shingles, and hope it clears up completely very soon. But glad you have the opportunity to work from home now, and that you are able to take things at a slower pace.

Great to hear from you too caronl, and good luck with your restart. You can do this! Keep posting so we know how you’re getting on.

Cathy I’m really glad you are feeling calmer and getting focused again. Take it easy, and I wish you every success in your birthday journey. It’s mine next week, and my daughter is organising an online get-together so I’d better get dressed for a change 😉

Stay well everyone, and good luck with pursuing your goals this week X

on

Have had a good few days and have decided to fast until evening meal tonight. Will be drinking plenty of water today. I braved the scales this morning and was not impressed with what I saw so just as well that I am in the mood to get a grip of myself. . It’s really sad to see how quickly things have escalated out of control and the fear of Covid 19 made me lose my self control because I felt it didn’t really matter in the big scheme of things. I’ve put on half a stone and I’ve not really been too bad diet wise! Imagine the damage had I gone completely off piste for the last month! I am a person who looks at food and puts on weight. What a shame I’ve undone all my hard work and am back to it yet again, something I’d swore wouldn’t happen when I got to goal weight in October 2017. Oh well, trying times at the moment so I won’t be too hard on myself. I am heavier now I have been for a very long time since starting BSD so it’s a wake up call to get my books out and get back to plodding on with losing the excess weight I’ve gained due to my anxiety about Covid. I have learned quite a lot about myself over the last few weeks and I am very unhappy about how I’ve left myself down. Luckily, now I am not working I have time to readdress things and sort myself out. My goal for the following week is to get into ketosis and to begin a downward curve! . If I can lose 1 stone over the next 8 weeks I will be back to where I feel comfortable in my clothes. I am off to make a chart and will watch the pounds drop off slowly and steadily.

How is your reboot going Caronl? I hope, like me, you’re in the zone.
    DCT enjoy your online birthday celebration this week. Wear a party outfit!
    Sue, have you got the kilo creep under control? I hope you’re feeling better.

Let’s have a great week and I’ll be reporting back on Friday with hopefully the start of a downward curve on my chart!
    Cathy 🐢

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy – yes I’m starting to feel a level of control again 🙂 I had a shock when I stepped on the scales yesterday so spent some time putting together a meal & exercise plan for this week. Today I had boiled egg and avocado for breakfast, mushroom soup and a pear for lunch, and a lovely chilli with beef, beans and lentils for dinner. One upside to lockdown/isolation is having plenty of time to cook healthy meals 🙂
    I’m feeling a lot better too this week, the anti viral medication I’m on has helped with the shingles, it’s not nearly as bad this time compared to when I had it a few months ago (thankfully).
    DCT – happy birthday for this week, we have a few friends and family members having online celebrations. It’s Mothers Day here in a few weeks so I’m sure that will be an online get together too this year.
    I’ll check in again at the end of the week, take care all 🙂

on

Hi Sue just to see how you are? Hope you’re feeling much better now? Check in when you can do we know you’re ok X

Cathy hope things are still going well? And hi to caronl and anyone else reading this too. Hope all is well.

I’m doing fine. Had a great birthday week. Still managing to maintain but it’s time to start losing s but more. Will report back in due course. Am also on the weekly thread now and again.

Best wishes to you all X

on

(Sorry there are two versions of this: the earlier one was not quite finished and now I can’t delete it!)

Hi Sue just to see how you are? Hope you’re feeling much better now? Check in when you can so we know you’re ok X

Cathy hope things are still going well? Good luck with this next stage of your journey. And hi to caronl and anyone else reading this too. Hope all is well.

I’m doing fine. Had a great birthday week. Still managing to maintain but I’m half a stone heavier than this time last year so it really is time to start losing some of that again. Will report back in due course. Am also on the weekly thread now and again to try and stay motivated.

Best wishes to you all X

on

Hi DCT
    Glad you enjoyed your birthday week and well done on maintaining. I am back to BSD and fasting and walking and I’ve lost 2.2 lb in the last ten days which is disappointing but is a loss and I am determined to get back into my jeans for my birthday in June! .

I looked at my weight charts last night and it seems that when I got to goal in October 2017 I then went a few pounds below goal for a few weeks, then I got back to goal and maintained that for a few months and then crept up 5lb and maintained that for about twelve months and then increased by 1 or 2 lbs per month until now I find myself 12 lb above where I want to be. I am back on the weekly thread and will continue chipping away once again. I am sad that I’ve let things creep up and up and now I am having difficulty getting it off. It feels that I put more food out for the birds than I eat myself!

See you on the weekly thread/ there are a few of us restarting and so we are ok good company.

on

Still working hard to lose my excess weight gain but not seeing much progress on the scales. It reminded me of how frustrating I found BSD first time round and how the scales can define the mood for the day. However, this time I am sticking with it in the knowledge that it will shift albeit slowly. Tomorrow is week 3 of my reboot. For no apparent reason I gained 1lb last week. I will weigh in tomorrow on the weekly thread and post my weight and then I am going back to weighing once a week only. The up and down (mainly up) gets me grumpy.

Hope you’re having more initial success than me. I am now back to eating 16:8, sticking to low carb and drinking plenty of water. I do have a Friday night G&T and apart from that I am sticking to plan so hopefully I will see some shift in weight and get them jeans on in June.

on

Hi Cathy. Great to hear about your progress on this thread and the weekly one: because you ARE making progress even though the scales are playing catch up. You are really positive and determined, and have a clear goal to aim for. It’s also great that you are feeling much more resilient, and are not letting small fluctuations and disappointments get you down. Keep at it and those jeans will be sliding on before you know it.

You’ve helped inspire me to get going again properly. I know I’ve been pretty feeble recently and today have felt more like myself again and ready to get back in the zone. Will keep posting here and on the weekly thread.

Good luck to anyone else reading this. I hope that you keep safe and well and enjoy some victories on your BSD journey this week.

Also to say SueBlue if you’re reading this I do hope you’re ok? Let us know how you’re doing X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi DCT thanks for asking after me. All good here, it’s a bit like Groundhog Day though after 8 weeks at home now. I do get out for a walk outside most days and once a week I go out to run errands quickly. I’m not complaining though, am grateful that I have the opportunity to work from home and stay safe.
    I’ve started the Couch to 5K program – by running and walking laps around my garden. I’m up to week 2 so it’s something like 4 x 90 second runs and 2 x 60 second ones mixed in with walking. Run is probably not the right word though – I jog really, sometimes I think I must look like Cliff Young, I have a similar shuffle 🙂 the main thing is it does get my heart rate up so I’m hoping that will help burn some fat. I’ve been doing it every 2 to 3 days and I’m definitely improving, each time it’s a bit easier than the one before.
    Health wise I’m doing really well, because I’m isolated I’m not getting the usual bugs and viruses I generally would (from having a suppressed immune system).
    Weight well I don’t know… I keep restarting BSD/fast 800 and each week start with good intentions then get to day 3 and it all goes haywire. Still even when I go over in calories it’s not that bad, probably 1200-1500 at most, on average I’m having about 1000 a day. So okay for maintenance but it’s not resulting in any real weight loss. So next week I’m going to take a 5:2 approach with just 2 800 calorie days, and make I stick to 16:8 TRE and see if that makes a difference.
    Hope everyone else is doing well 🙂

on

Hi Sue

Great to hear from you and I’m so glad that you are well. Funnily enough I started Couch25K this week as well, also at home. In the UK we are allowed out to exercise now as much as we want, but I want to give it a try at home before going public! I did start it a couple of years ago, in preparation for a fun run at work, but hated going out and running round the streets. It made me feel very exposed and vulnerable – I think it’s because running really is not my forte and I do struggle, so just feel horribly self-conscious. Anyway at the moment I really need a challenge, so I thought I’d give it another go.

I’m also very similar to you in terms of weight loss: full of good intentions but never seem to be able to stick to them for long! I’m maintaining and seeing a gradual decrease but “must do better” to achieve the goal I have set myself of being at target by July. I’m interested to know how you get on with 5:2 because this is how I started all this, many years ago now – before starting BSD in Jan 2017. Part of me thinks I’d be better committing to do just two days a week properly rather than in effect stop starting Fast800 all the time. To be honest, I think I’m just a bit bored with the whole thing, but am scared of putting weight back on and also cross with myself for not making better progress after all this time: all my own doing I know! But one way or the other, I’m determined to get there – and now seems an ideal time to just get on with it.

Anyway, hello to everyone reading this. Stay well and keep in touch X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all 🙂
    How are you going with the Couch25K DCT? I’ve been doing it every couple of days and am amazed that I can now jog for 2 1/2 minutes at a time! In the beginning I struggled to do 30 seconds. I find on the days I exercise I feel happier.
    With the 5:2 I almost managed 2 x 800 days, they were around 900 calories though. I have now lost 1.6kg in the last 2 weeks so happy with that. At least with cooking everything from scratch it helps to pass the time 🙂 I do enjoy cooking and my husband has been loving the meals, he doesn’t realise he is on a diet so to speak. I made some chocolate beetroot brownies on the weekend, the recipe is in the Fast 800 recipe book – this is well worth buying if anyone is interested. I still use my 8 week BSD book too, half the time I struggle to decide what to cook as there’s so many lovely options. Last night was vegetarian bolognaise and I’m going to make a lasagne with the leftovers using the eggplant that’s been sitting in my fridge all week 🙂
    Hope everyone else is doing well.

on

Hi Sue and well done for your loss. It sounds like you are getting into a good routine and the brownies sound fab. Your cooking sounds wonderful as always – and I love that your husband “doesn’t realise he’s on a diet” 😉

I will get the Fast800 recipe book – somehow I’d overlooked that one (I have the BSD and Fast800 small paperbacks and the larger BSD recipe book but not this one). That’s exciting as I tend to do better when I’m following recipes from one of the books: not only do they have some great ideas but you don’t have to think about portion sizes or anything. I’m doing ok at the moment, maintaining well with the occasional tantalising drop on the scales. But at the moment I’m focusing more on establishing good routines and habits rather than fretting about numbers.

It sounds like Couch25K is going great for you too. Well done! I’m on my second week, so am currently doing the 90 second runs, and so far am enjoying it. I’m using the app which really helps, as last time I tried it I got fed up fiddling with all the different times etc – found it distracting (and as you know I am veerryy easily distracted!). So it’s so far so good this end. I’m just running round the garden, which is pretty small but I do different patterns to ring the changes. Once I can run for longer I think I’ll drive to somewhere and give it a really good go. I don’t want to do that from the house as we live in a culdesac with one or two nosey neighbours – which shouldn’t matter I know, but I do feel self-conscious. But in the UK we’re now allowed to drive and exercise anywhere so I’ll identify somewhere I feel safe to go to.

Anyway lovely to hear from you Sue. Stay well and keep focused, it sounds like you’re doing great and on the downward trajectory.

Best wishes to anyone else reading this too. Old timer or newcomer, do drop in and say hello X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

DCT I have the same problem with nosy neighbours 🙂 my garden is overlooked on 2 sides, one is a double storey house and there is a window which looks down onto my garden. I figure they’ll soon get bored watching me running round and round in circles! I don’t feel confident running in public yet, also I prefer to run on the grass as I feel it’s less impact on my joints, I’m also mindful of tripping over after breaking my shoulder last year.
    I am enjoying it though – I’m using the Couch 2 5 K app on my phone, I even bought a cheap armband phone holder to make it easier to use the app. The half hour goes pretty quickly really.
    I’ve not been getting too hung up on calories, mainly focussing on healthy eating and cutting down on wine. I’m trying to stick to Friday evenings only, or special occasions.
    I’m really enjoying exercising though. On the days I’m not outside using the app I do one of the YouTube walk at home videos. This morning I only had a spare 15 minutes before work but I managed to squeeze in a 1 mile walk, then went out for a walk at lunchtime.
    Anyway next time I’m outside running I’ll think of you on the other side of the world doing the same thing 🙂

on

Great stuff Sue, sounds like the exercise is going really well. That’s been my main focus recently, to get into a good exercise routine and gradually it’s beginning to happen. Like you, I do online workouts as well. I do a 7 minute one every day that aims to tone your waist and tummy muscles and I think it may be starting to have an effect. No change to measurements as yet but I’m sure that will come. I also do a dance routine – that’s 1 mile in 15 minutes as well, to Abba music. Quite fun. Then a Pilates session now and again too.

So I’m working hard to get all those firmly established and have also gone back to 16:8 which is working fine too. My next target is to be more careful about what I eat and drink – particularly the latter as wine is my main weakness. We’re having lovely sunny weather here in the UK at the moment so it’s way too tempting to have a glass or two in the garden in the afternoon. So I’m cutting back on that and will also get the Fast800 recipe book to kick start my meal planning. After 3 years on this WoE my diet is not bad, healthy low carb eating kind of gets ingrained into you after a while. But I know I have slipped into some bad habits recently – particularly snacking – so that has to stop.

Have a great weekend – it’s another Bank Holiday here in the UK, though that doesn’t have as much impact at the moment as it usually does. It’s just another day really!

Keep on going and I look forward to hearing some more progress soon – you deserve it!

Hello to anyone else reading this. Stay well and have a great weekend wherever you are X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just popping in to say hi – hope everyone is doing well. How is your running going DCT? I was up to week 4 last weekend and did the first one bit really struggled running for 4.5 minutes at a time, I felt exhausted afterwards and had heart palpitations all afternoon. It probably didn’t help that I’d had a few wines the night before! Anyway this week I went back to Week 3 and repeated that, so I can comfortably run for 3 minutes at a time now. I’m still going to follow the program but will do each workout twice at least before moving onto the next one, as the running time seems to increase quite quickly from week 5.
    Our restrictions are easing here but I feel a bit uneasy as we are in winter now, I’m still going to play it safe for a while. I had a hospital appointment on Friday which meant travelling out of my suburb. I wore a mask the whole time I was in the hospital, just in case.
    Diet wise it’s same old same old for me. I lose a kilo, gain half a kilo, lost a bit, gain a bit, so round and round in circles! On the plus side I do feel really well, and healthy, which is something 🙂 each week I plan my meals and aim for 3 or 4 fast days of 800 calories, and eat in an 8 hour window, so doing 16:8. It mostly works although the 800 days tend to be more like 1000, and 16:8 is often 12:12 or 14:10!
    I guess on the plus side I’m not gaining, just maintaining really. Am going to try a bit harder this week!

on

Hi Sue and lovely to hear from you. I think we are in a very similar place: my dieting efforts are somewhat variable but I’m feeling really well and happy, which is so important. I think lockdown has given me time to reflect on many aspects of my life and slow some things right down. I know I’m incredibly lucky in that I am healthy, still working and have a nice home and garden to enjoy. Just want to send hugs to anyone reading this who is struggling in any way X

I’m still doing the running, in fact am really enjoying it: which surprises me. I’m doing it slavishly every other day – because I know that if I stop I’ll probably find it hard to restart (this is what I do!). I’m currently at Week 5 and yesterday did three 5-minute runs. Tomorrow is two 8-minutes runs but then what is worrying me is that Thursday is supposedly a 20-minute run?! Quite a jump! Like you, I will just repeat what I can do until I can do more. Good luck with it.

But yesterday morning I felt great. I’d done the three 5-minute runs ok and I felt energised and buzzing. I was 2lb down on the scales from the previous week, and have also recently lost an inch from both my waist and hips. So then of course I had to self-sabotage! We hosted a BBQ for a couple of friends and I just went completely wayward. Wine – bread – potato salad – more wine – TWO puddings – and yet more wine …

Unsurprisingly those 2lb are back on the scales this morning (hopefully not for long) and I feel groggy and lardy!! But today is another day: how does that old song go “pick yourself up, dust yourself down, start all over again …. “ (yawn!!)

Like you Sue I aim for 16:8 most days, so usually have two meals a day. I’ m personally not up for fasting any more than that – works great for many people I know, but as an older person I’m keen to ensure regular and healthy nourishment. You always inspire me with your lovely recipes so do keep on going and enjoy (and feel free to share!).

Cathy if you’re reading this do hope you’re ok? You were sounding very determined the last post I read and I hope things are going well in every area of your life. I think it’s your birthday soon too? In which case hope you have a lovely day whatever you manage to do. Do let us know how you’re getting on X

Hello to everyone else reading this: do post if you want to share your ups and downs (literally!) or just want to keep in touch.

Have a good week everyone X

on

Good morning/evening to SueBlue and Dreamscometrue

Lovely to read about your progress with running and glad you’re both enjoying it. I am happy with my Walking progress! My arthritic big toes are painful but I am averaging 7000 steps a day and aiming to get to the elusive 10,000 steps soon. For me that is progress. I am unable to run following removal of a rare tumour twenty years ago from my femoral nerve which means I have no knee stability. I was lucky to be able to walk again following the surgery.

I am healthy and very happy and enjoying my lockdown retirement. I have become very content at home and am enjoying a much slower pace of life. It may sounds like I have become old before my time but after working hard for 40 years I am just embracing a slower pace of life. I am maintaining my weight rather than losing which is frustrating. I havent weighed myself for a couple of weeks. The BSD way of life is ingrained now and I know what NOT to eat and in the main I stick to the plan. I did enjoy an ice lolly when it was hot but I didn’t beat myself up about that. Like you DCT the lockdown has given me time to reflect and be thankful for my health, happiness and contented lifestyle. I definitely feel it is important to influence my health by keeping my weight down but I also realise that being too critical isn’t healthy so it am trying to work on balance. Most days I only eat two meals a day and stick to the BSD principles.

It have rescued a little cat from the local cat sanctuary and he is settling in.

SueBlue and DCT it sounds like you are both in a positive place and it’s great that you both are happy and feel healthy. That is what is ultimately important. We have all given ourselves a fighting chance by getting our weight down. Good luck with your running regimes. I am impressed!

It is my birthday next week and I am going to enjoy a nice evening meal with a bottle of red wine that was given to me when I retired. I’ve been saving it for a special occasion. I won’t be dieting that day- I’m going to have a sultana scone, raspberry jam and clotted cream too! It’s all part of my plan. I’ve always enjoyed special occasions off plan and it keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I’ve enjoyed keeping in touch with you both and to anyone else who is reading. Let’s just keep on keeping on what we do best and here’s to a little bit more weight loss!

on

Hi Cathy and Happy Birthday for this week! I hope you have a lovely day and enjoy the treats you have in store. I’m also thrilled about your little cat and hope that he is continuing to settle in well? Well done on the walking – especially in light of your medical history – and I hope that your next weigh in reflects all your recent efforts. But above all, I’m delighted that you are well and happy, and enjoying this new phase of life.

Sue I hope you are well also. Are you still doing the running? It seems weird that you are now in winter whereas here in the UK it’s summer time. We had some fabulous weather back in May but its’s dipped a bit recently. Here’s hoping it picks up again – though at the moment no-one can really plan to go anywhere until we see how things develop over the next few weeks. Restrictions are easing gradually – most shops re-opened today and some secondary schools are taking in groups of pupils in the exam years.

I’m doing fine, and have shed those couple of pounds I regained last weekend. I’m now 9lb from target and would ideally love to lose 1lb a week for the next couple of months and be at target by August. But I know things don’t always work that way so will keep plodding on regardless. I’m getting into some good habits regarding both diet and exercise, but also cut myself a lot of slack when things don’t go according to plan.

Have a good week both of you, and anyone else reading this thread too. Stay safe, well and happy – and good luck with achieving your current weight loss targets X

on

Dreamscometrue- thank you for your birthday wishes. Lockdown birthday all done and dusted and I thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate. Line drawn under yesterday and onwards and downwards I go. Although I’ve not made any significant progress in my weight loss since lockdown, I am proud that I’ve not put any extra weight on. I’ve been up and down the same few pound. You are so near to goal now DCT. 9lb is doable by chipping away and here’s to continued downward progress. Your running regime is going to be so beneficial now and you can give it your best shot at achieving your goal. Like you, I am focusing on my walking combined with healthy choices. I think being kind to myself is also working. I have always been self critical and as I get older I am learning that a little self compassion is a much healthier way to live.

SueBlue I hope you are safe and well and progressing with your running regime and that things are getting back to normal in Australia.

It seems we have all come a long way mentally and physically since the start of the Covid Pandemic with our walking/running regimes and I think back to how frightened I was in March when I retired from work at the beginning of the lockdown. Being slim was not as much a priority as being healthy was. I think we have all done so well taking control of ourselves and sticking to this way of eating and we should all be proud of what we have achieved during lockdown. Our holding pattern has definitely been a success!

Things are now slowly getting back to “new normal” and so onward we continue to plod towards our goals. I am so thankful for this thread- it has been lovely to keep in touch during what has been, for me, a very scary time. I feel I have learnt a lot about myself over the last few weeks. I am resilient, adaptable, more anxious than I ever knew, grateful, contented and as determined as ever to be a healthy weight. Thank you for letting me be me and thank you for your support.

Here’s to reading more success stories whether it be regarding weight loss, a healthier lifestyle, exercise regime or just general well-being.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hello,
    Thought I’d join in if that’s ok?
    I’m also losing and gaining the same few pounds. I do real well with the low carb stuff until about 5:30 then it’s down hill from there..not every night just once or twice a week. I know when I’m doing it that its wrong but I still eat rubbish.
    I lost 3 kilos then put 2 on and have been losing then gaining the same kilo for the last week.
    Here I was at the start, totally ready to give it my all but I’m failing miserably.
    It’s not like I haven’t done this WOE before. I have and lost 12 kilos so I can do this. I just don’t know why I’m self sabotaging , it’s not making any sense.
    Anyway enough moaning ..have a great day/ night ladies 😊🖐️
    I just realised I’ve used pounds and kilos..oh well..I’m in Australia so I’ll stick with the kilos from now on 👍

on

Hello Waitaminute

Welcome to the keeping in touch thread. Try not to be too hard on yourself. We have all been under enormous amounts of stress during recent times, Covid, not seeing family and friends and now the threat of losing jobs etc so the fact that you are up and down the same few pounds is nothing to beat yourself up about in the big scheme of things. Can you imagine how many people have let go completely during the crisis. That could have been us! I think if we manage to come through things without too much damage then I feel that is a win given the circumstances.

We can only do our very best and I know that in March when I was so scared I could easily have gone off the rails big time. Every day is a new day and another chance so let’s just do what we can.
    The pandemic has given us lots of time to reflect and get things into perspective.

Onwards and downwards!!! No need to rush and no need to feel bad about things.

on

Hi Waitaminute and welcome! I do remember your name from some other threads. I’ve been on the forums on and off since January 2017 so I’m sure our paths have crossed before.

I’m just the same as you in that late afternoon/early evening is my danger zone. I can quite happily eat very little during the day but there’s something about that time of day. I think for me it may be because even though I retired last summer from full time work, that time is still the psychological transition for me between working and relaxing. So maybe the thing to do is either to plan some kind of healthy treat for that time or maybe have your evening meal then, even if that’s earlier than normal? Something to fill the gap.

But as Cathy rightly says, when you’re in this for the long term there will be ups and downs along the way – particularly during these difficult times. The main thing is that if you compare our eating habits now with what they were like before we ever started on BSD/Fast 800 the difference is huge. And permanent. So in that sense the day to day successes/failures (or however we like to think of them) don’t really matter that much, as long as our overall long-term trend continues to be better eating and healthier living.

Cathy I’m glad you had a lovely birthday and it’s great to hear about your focus on being kind to yourself. Like you, I think I’ve changed quite bit during lockdown in all kinds of ways. Ever since I retired last summer I’ve been restless and feeling I “ought” to be doing this, that and the other. I have wasted so much time looking at possible part time jobs or all kinds of other things to either bring in more money or fill my time. In a way, lockdown was a welcome relief from all that. Despite all the awful circumstances, for me it’s been a chance to regroup and to start really finding my feet as a retiree. I still do some freelance work but have now realised that what I’m doing is probably enough, as long as I’m careful with money etc – whereas before I was obsessed with finding some brand new career direction (maybe in denial about my age?!). And early in lockdown I had loads of ideas about learning and doing all kinds of new things – but then felt cross with myself for also feeling very lethargic and just wanting to hibernate. It’s only been in the last 3-4 weeks that I’ve finally felt like doing a few new things and had the energy and motivation to actually start doing them.

Sorry am waffling on a bit, but basically I feel like I’m at the stage of putting everything in perspective and getting my life in order!

I do want to get to my long-term goal of 133lb and would like to achieve that by summer but am very much with you Cathy in terms of being kind to myself and just doing what I am able to do day by day. On the one hand I’m annoyed that I was so nearly at goal this time last year, but I didn’t feel well at the time and was very stressed, so perhaps the lower weight was not a desirable thing for me at that time. Also (being kind!) I’ve gone through some huge life changes since then and have also been on statins since October which I think can also make you put on weight. So I will get there – eventually! – but my main aim now is to be well, strong and happy. Taking each day as it comes.

Hello Sue and anyone else reading this. Hope all is well and do keep in touch.

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone X

• posted by Riccoh
    on

So far this year in Australia we’ve had bushfires, everyone in NSW knows someone affected by these, extreme heat and drought, COVID and now the Black Lives Matter protests around the world. All in all its hard not to feel down and there are so many things out of our control. The struggle to stay motivated in spite of all this is overwhelming. Is anyone else feeling this? Oh, and the recession we are having. My youngest has lost his job so might have to move home. My husband retired last year and we were settling into a comfortable routine. I need to be selfish and focus on me but its so hard to take control of my health when so much had happened. Is anyone else struggling?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks DCT and Cathy for asking after me, I’ve been crook for the last week, a flare up of one of my chronic illnesses but am feeling better today. I haven’t been up to exercise at all, let alone running, but looking at getting back into it on the weekend.
    Riccoh I hear what you are saying, I live in NSW too and some of what has happened over the last 6 months has been heartbreaking. My younger two children have lost their jobs too (due to covid 19) and my elder daughter had to change jobs as her hours were slashed. My own work hours have been cut by 20% too. However I am very thankful that as a country we have escaped the worst of the health impacts of the virus, especially when compared to other countries.
    Very early on during the covid lockdown I was feeling very upset by it all, and frustrated at the thought of not being able to see family members or even leave my home for months (I have compromised immunity), so I started thinking about what I could do, and what things I did have some control over. Exercise was one positive choice – I began doing walk at home workouts through YouTube (recommended by Cathy), then added walking outside in my garden, just doing laps really while listening to music. After a week or two exercise became a habit and each day I would work it in to my day, it gave me a sense of purpose I guess.
    I love cooking so started to cook some different healthy meals for my family – again this gave me something to focus on.
    Keeping a journal also helped. In the beginning i was writing every day, just as a way of processing what was happening I guess. Later on I began to add 3 gratitudes each day too. Sometimes they were simple things like my bills were all paid, or I had a FaceTime call with my daughter.
    Meditation/mindfulness has also helped. I downloaded some free apps on my phone as well a a couple of paid ones (for weight loss mainly), and for the few dollars they cost they were worth it. It’s amazing how good I feel after lying down for 30 minutes and listening to a track, I feel really energised afterwards.
    Another thing I have enjoyed doing is watching shows on catch up tv/Netflix etc – I’m really enjoying Call the midwife at the moment – I had never had the time to watch it before now!
    So basically I have been taking care of my mind, body & soul 🙂 I haven’t lost a great deal of weight, I’ve also been in more of a holding pattern really, but I do feel healthier and happier than I have for a long time (well apart from the last week that is!) despite all the negative things going on. I also realised that the last few months have been one of the few times I’ve had in my adult life where I can focus on myself – as a busy mum of 4 it used to be all about the kids, or work, Or study or the housework (Or all of these things at once!) and I hardly ever had time for myself.
    I didn’t mean for this post to be so long but I do feel that if you pick just one aspect of your life/health to focus on first, you’ll find the rest will soon follow.
    All the best x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy – a belated happy birthday to you! I’m glad you were able to enjoy a few treats x

Wait a minute – I could have written your post 🙂 I go so well during the day and then it goes downhill in the evening. I’m often not even hungry but my husband often has some toast or biscuits and coffee and I join in and bang there goes 300 calories! Or it’s Friday night and I have a wine or 2.. and I’m the same I’ll go down a kilo then up 2 then down again.
    I’m going to make more of a concerted effort with my calories next week 🙂

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    I feel like I’m a broken record, repeating over and over “that I can do this and I will do this.” Then I’m back where I started, so annoying 😠
    It’s ok to say I should just put it behind me and start again, but how many times do I keep doing this to myself Sheesh!!!
    I’m not sure why I can’t stick to proper eating all day. If I can do it most of the day then what is the go with the night time eating and wine. The wine thing has only started since we moved. I only have one or two, three tops but I only had that amount on Friday or Saturday when we would go out for dinner. Now its most nights..maybe it’s because I’m so far away from my family and miss them (no excuse I know) but that’s the only thing I can think of. I really need to get a reign on that. I keep telling myself we are only here until next March then fingers crossed with the covid thing we can move back home. We are in the process of buying a house closer to the girls ready for when we go back, so I should focus on that.
    Anyway here I go again.. yoghurt, berries and linseed for brunch..blah blah blah…….
    😊🖐️

on

Hi Sue

Lovely to hear from you and to catch up with what you’re up to. So sorry you have been ill and hope you are better now? I’m also sorry your family has been so badly affected by Covid-19, and yours too Riccoh. All the best to both your families and I hope that some better circumstances come their way.

Sue I love your idea of journaling and adding in gratitudes. That will really give you something to look back on in years to come, and remember these strange times. As you say Riccoh, it’s been a dreadful year globally in so many ways.

Waitaminute I hear you! I’m the queen of stop and start! Doing ok at the moment but I get derailed very easily. I think when you have been doing this for a long time it’s inevitable you’ll have ups and downs, and the thing is just to regroup and jump back on board when you can. It does sound as if you have been having a very stressful time so, as Cathy says, please be kind to yourself. I’m glad you have some exciting future plans, it’s really good to have something to look forward to in these times.

Take care everyone, and here’s to a good week for all of us X

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    I haven’t been on here for a while, in fact just had to reset my password!. I took ill early March (fine now though) and then other events overtook. Anyway, I’ve decided it’s time for me to refocus away from Covid-19 etc and get back to optimum health. I’ve managed to put on 10lbs during lockdown. I’ve stayed low carb but my daily blood sugar readings have crept up from their usual 4s & 5s to 6s and the last couple of weeks the odd 7. Yes, I really am all at sixes and sevens!
    I always liked the monthly thread so thought I’d start here. Any thoughts of re-establishing a monthly thread? or is it still not a good time?
    I’m going out for my walk just now – fourth day back at it – but will touch base again later.
    Jennie xx

on

Hi Jennie how lovely to hear from you! I’d just been thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were. I’m so sorry you’ve been ill but pleased that you are well now. And glad you’re feeling able to start sorting out blood sugars again.

I’d be happy to restart a monthly thread if a few of us want to do so? We could just about get away with a July one! The weekly thread is fabulous and very busy, so I don’t want to duplicate any of the great things going on there. But I’d personally be happy to work from month to month for a while. I still have 8-9lb to lose to get to target and am taking things fairly steady at the moment, focussing on overall health and fitness not just weight loss.

So let me know if you do want a monthly thread again and we can get it going? X

• posted by caronl
    on

DCT I would love to join a monthly thread too. Go for it!

on

Hello just a quick shout out to anyone on this thread who I’ve not been in touch with recently. I just wondered if you may want to join in the new Countdown to Christmas thread? Lots of familiar names on there and it would be great to see you.

SueBlue, long time no speak and I do hope all is well? Also Riccoh, hope that you are doing ok as I know things were difficult for you.

Take care and stay safe X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for reaching out DCT and hope all is well with you. I may join in the Christmas thread. I’m okay just have a lot going on, family, health & home problems (not Covid related thankfully). On top of this almost 6 months of lockdown conditions is taking its toll. I only leave my home once per week to go to the shops and run errands.
    My weight is stable so I guess I’ve been maintaining recently – I’m about the same
    as I was this time last year, or a little less. Still need to shift 20kg but I’m focusing on 10kg first.
    Hope everyone else on here is doing well and I may see you on the Christmas thread soon 🙂

on

SueBlue- it was lovely to see you back on the forum today and to read your post. Lockdown is getting more and more difficult. ! I am really sorry to hear that things have been difficult for you but was very impressed with your maintenance! In these times I think maintenance proves how strong we really are so well done. I think we could all have been forgiven for losing the plot this year! We have kept going when we could easily have thrown in the towel!

There are some old friends on the countdown to Christmas thread so if you decide to join us, you’ll be in good company! DCT and I have decided that we are going to get to goal once and for all and are trying our hardest to achieve it by Christmas! I only lost 1lb this week so it’s going to be a slow slog but we are both feeling determined and it would be fantastic for you to come on the journey with us so we can all support each other. January will be our four year anniversary – The three BSD amigos!

Stay safe Sue and if you don’t decide to join us on the other thread it would be fantastic to keep in touch on this thread.

on

Hi Sue and so sorry for the delayed reply – I’ve had a really busy rushing around kind of week for some reason.

It was really good to hear from you. You’ve done so well to maintain despite all that’s going on. I feel so sorry for you having to go through strict lockdown again. Things are pretty miserable in the UK: we have rising infections, local lockdowns coming and going, different variations between England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland, and also the new “rule of six” coming into force on Monday. But there are still many aspects of life that for now are open and running, unlike you. Are you still doing your journaling? I hope so. I think it will be something fascinating to look back on, and wish I’d started that at the beginning of our lockdown in March.

Anyway, sending you lots of love and I hope that whatever else is going on in your life gets resolved soon.

Cathy great to hear from you too, and I love the three amigos concept! You have spurred me on as my progress so far this month has been slower than I would have liked. Will update the Christmas thread in a minute.

Go well both of you, and hello to anyone else reading this too. Have a good weekend X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks DCT and Cathy for your kind words, I love the 3 Amigos concept 🙂
    I hope you are both continuing to do well, I’ve been watching reports on tv about the UK’s 2nd wave. Fingers crossed our 2nd wave is tapering off now, with restrictions eased in Victoria. I still wear a mask everywhere when I’m out though!
    I’ll join in your weight loss thread as I’m ready to re-start (for the 100th time or so it seems!).

Please log in or register to post a reply.