Just Keep on Keeping on in June ! Week beginning 7th June 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Many thanks Lauren for taking on the hosting for the last couple of weeks. Don’t worry, you will likely to be called on in July when I disappear to reunite with my family in the UK !!!

In the meantime here we are , rallying the troops for this month of June .

If you are struggling in any way, finding it hard to stay focused and motivated or just want to share and ask questions, please join us for the week, for the month, whatever feels good for you .

So glad that we are still here , that we can continue to support each other and never giving up . We are a very decent bunch 😉

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB xxxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is the updated list .Please let me know if I have forgotten anyone

Wendleg/Wendy
    Sunshine-girl
    SunnyB
    Florab85/Lauren
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    WindyJulz
    Natalie
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Slimmingruby
    FlowersForever
    Jess213
    OriginalMurrayMint

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Hi, 👋🏻
    would it be ok if I joined? I’m very newly diagnosed (a few weeks). Looking for all the support I can get.
    Thank you
    Laura 😊

• posted by wendleg
    on

Of course Laura,welcome.!

I assume you mean a diabetes diagnosis ?
    Our very experienced member,sunshine girl has had tremendous success managing her diabetes ,Verano too.
    Shout out if you have any queries. Start by reading Michael Mosley’s books.(There are other very useful works we can recommend too )
    Remember it’s all about low carb. healthy fats and moderate protein.
    So no white carbs and processed foods..pasta,potatoes,rice or starchy veg. Full fat Greek yoghurt…no 0% fat dairy…avocado,nuts in modération…Green leafy veg.
    That’s just a basic overview as I’m about to go to bed !
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on ,Laura !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

welcome Laura 😊

Thanks Wendy for the new thread 😊

Well, day one (Monday reset) done….not perfect, but much better than the preceding week. Day 2…..tricky, as a very busy day, but hopefully I can squeeze in time to cook later and not give in to naughty snacks! Breakfast was healthy and lunch box prepped last night so only dinner to worry about.

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning.
    Well I’m back for another week.
    Last week I thought I would have a break. I tried Noom a few weeks ago for three weeks and while it has a great database, especially for supermarket foods, the focus is all wrong for me and there are no measures of carbs etc. only calories. Anyway, it was an interesting exercise, but I got fed up weighing, logging and counting. So last week I relaxed, stayed low carb but without all the weighing etc. In fact I actually had a better weight loss doing that than when I counted every morsel!
    I think it just goes to show, for me, that a bit of mixing up now and again while still staying low carb, works better than plodding on week after week with the same routine.
    Laura, I’m also assuming your diagnosis is T2 shout if you have any questions but suffice it to say that THIS WORKS!
    Good to be back, even though I should have been going away tomorrow, yet another cancellation to add to the list.
    Thanks Wendy for the new thread.
    Have a good week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, and thank you for the new thread.
    Day 1 of my reset done 🙂
    16:8 TRE, no breakfast, boiled eggs and salad for lunch, chicken breast with cauli leaves and asparagus for supper, milk kefir and a single Brazil nut after supper, with no snacking.
    <800cals, <20g carbs (I usually aim for <50g) and >50g protein.
    I probably didn’t drink enough water, and I am also trying to get more sleep. The past few weeks I have been running on adrenaline (and caffeine) with work, and definitely not getting enough sleep.
    Starting to log everything again on MyFitnessPal, I had forgotten just how many calories in a tablespoon of olive oil!
    While it is boring (and I do love my food), I am happy to take a short-term hit and live on eggs, chicken breast and greens for a week or two, with a low-carb detour on the weekend with a bit more variety, with the aim of being below 12st again by the end of this month, when I will then be on holiday for 2 weeks – eek!
    Hang in there all those that are struggling, we know it’s worth it 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, just back from the doctors and he is more than happy with my results. Also my weight on his scales was exactly 72kgs. We talked about me stopping using insulin and he seemed surprised and said my diabetes would get worse. However, he wants to review my treatment on my next visit in September. He said before if I am using less than 8 units I should stop but I didnt mean without any help or advice. He might find a different tablet but it is a waste of time injecting just for 8 units. Something else cropped up and he is sending me for more tests in 2 weeks – to see it it settles in the meantime. So not going to worry about it just now and going to enjoy my holiday. Sitters arriving in a couple of hours and I still have housework and cooking to do.

MrsH22, welcome to the site. I am sure Verano will advice you in my absence but I sometimes cant resist a peek at the site so if you have any questions. This diet does work and you are at exactly the right time and place to nip the diabetes in the bud before it takes hold. You dont mention medications but try not to go down that path if your doctor is okay with that.

Have a good week, see you next Tuesday.

• posted by FlowersForever
    on

Hi everyone. I’m in for another week.
    I have 2.7 kg (6lbs) to lose to reach a buffer of 5kg (11lbs) under a healthy BMI. Then a further 5kg to reach my ideal weight. I’ve added oats back to my diet this week, 40 g (carbs 22.4) a day, to see if it makes a difference. I’m currently doing 4/3 with the intention of doing 5/2 once I reach 60 kg (132lbs).
    This study shows that whole grains increase metabolism.
    https://now.tufts.edu/2017/02/08/new-study-suggests-eating-whole-grains-increases-metabolism-and-calorie-loss

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g….. well, done with doctor gorgeous…. looks like everything us going in the right direction.
    Enjoy your trip!

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Thank you for the welcome 😀
    I started doing BSD just over 2 weeks ago as I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My parents lent me their copy of BSD book and I read it cover to cover in 24 hours. I started straight away. I’m already 13.5lb down.
    So far I’ve bought the extra recipe book and my parents have give me a FAST book – all by Dr Michael Moseley. I’ve not felt hungry yet which I nice. In fact yesterday I felt full.
    Im starting off with 100lb to lose and that won’t get me into the healthy BMI range.
    I hope everyone has a great week, thanks for letting me tag along.
    Laura

• posted by MrsH22
    on

I forgot to say that my GP wanted to put me straight on medication as my HbA1c was 74mmol/mol and 72mmol/mol. But I asked for a few weeks to see if I can make a difference with diet & exercise. She’s given me 6-7 weeks then they will retest me. I’m really hoping that I’ve done enough by the time I’m retested.

• posted by Verano
    on

Laura
    If I can just stress one point : carbs are the real villain. Weight is obviously important in reducing your blood sugar and exercise is always good but it’s the carbs that really cause all the damage. Carbs convert into sugar in the body. Can I suggest you take a look at the visuals on the dietdoctor.co.uk website. It’s quite an eye opener, for example apples …. a medium apple may only have 95 calories but it also has 25g carbs, almost half of your daily total amount! Most of us try to stay below 50g carbs a day,

• posted by RubyG
    on

I can only agree with the posts above re. carbs and blood sugar.
    Hubby and I started this way of eating in Oct 2020 as he was diagnosed pre-diabetic with an HbA1c of 44 (I think) and his last reading in Jan 2022 was 33 (bad timing straight after Christmas where some carbs crept back in, mostly alcohol-related).
    His BP dropped dramatically in the first few weeks too, where he came off the Amlopidine really quickly and then halved his Ramipral dose to 5mg.
    His GP was fully supportive of the plan to modify the diet prior to medication, and it has worked.
    While exercise is important for many reasons, I think we have been misled into thinking that exercise is the answer to weight-loss.
    Laura, I would focus on the original BSD plan and reducing carbs, and good luck with the repeat blood tests.

• posted by RubyG
    on

On a personal note, I managed Day 2 of my reset with no mishaps or detours, and weighed 12st 2.8lb this morning. My aim is still to get to below 12st again before the end of this month.
    Day 2’s food consisted of no breakfast, lunch of a one-egg feta and spinach crustless quiche (leftover from weekend picnic), and supper of stir-fried chicken breast with bulb fennel and asparagus.
    No breakfast again today, boiled egg and salad for lunch and probably chicken stir-fry for supper.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I have also dragged out some summer trousers, some of which fit ~OK, others which do up but would not be wearable, and a pair that will not even do up yet – these will become my target. I do find it’s not only the number on the scales, but the shape and where the lumpy bits are – I am pear-shaped and even at my lowest weight I was just a smaller pear, but I do tend to regain first on my upper arms, thighs, hips and bum – this is where the trousers are a good measure of where I need to be.
    Day 3 OK so far 🙂

• posted by MrsH22
    on

I’m definitely doing low-carb. I’m having 30-50g a day.
    So far today I’ve had a coffee with milk plus Greek yoghurt with raspberries for breakfast. Lunch was some smoked salmon, cucumber and peppers.
    Dinner will be a recipe from the BSD recipe book.
    Last night I made the easy bolognaise which was lovely.

on

Today’s menu. Split into two meals.
    Porridge, with sugar free almond milk and cinnamon.
    Raspberries with Alpro sugar free greek style yoghurt.
    Two eggs.
    Lamb casserole with onion, celery, cauliflower and courgettes.
    3 prunes.

• posted by RubyG
    on

The thing that jumped out at me was “3 prunes” – interweb tells me 1 prune has 6g total carbs (they are really concentrated fruit), so if you’re aiming for <50g carbs per day (as many on here do) that’s a long way to your daily carb count already.

Just curious – why the sugar free almond products instead of full-dairy? Your choice of lamb casserole indicates you are not vegan, and sometimes more processed foods can contain other ingredients which mess with your insulin response, such as artificial sweeteners.

on

Hi Ruby G
    Thanks for your interest.
    My carb count for the day is 57g. I’m aware it’s over the 50g limit but I’m experimenting with adding back whole grains to see the effect.
    The prunes weigh 30g with the pit and have 16g carbs according to the packet. I eat them daily.
    The lamb casserole is home made from lean leg of lamb. It is fried in its own fat before going in the oven with the veg so there is nothing hidden.
    I don’t consume dairy hence the almond milk which is just 13 calories per 100ml and has zero carbs. In contrast full fat milk had 4.8g carbs per 100ml. I have 200ml milk with the porridge which would add 9.6g of carbs if I used whole milk .
    The Alpro also has no carbs.
    I am the stage now where I’m getting to the end of weight loss. I’m experimenting to find out what works for me. Cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar so that’s why I include it.
    I now take no medication. I was previously on metformin and blood pressure meds.
    I’d be happy to discuss anything else and would be interested to know what you’re eating and how it works for you.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi FlowersForever, congrats on ditching the meds, that is a great outcome!
    Thanks for the info on the non-dairy alternatives, but then I am a dairy addict (dairy in all forms), with cheese as my nemesis. I could eat my entire 800cals in cheese and not bat an eyelid 🙂
    We haven’t added any wholegrains or pulses back into our diet since starting the BSD in 2020, apart from a very occasional slice of wholemeal sourdough (1 slice per month) and even less occasionally lentils, beans or chickpeas in something.
    As I am starting a focused reboot of 800cals, <50g carbs and >50g protein, my food this week has been boring but necessary to get my head back into the right space. While basing my meals around eggs and chicken breast I can meet the targets OK, but last night we had some lamb with ratatouille for supper and because the meat choice was higher in cals, my protein count was lower than I would like in order to keep within the 800cals.
    But so far Reboot Day 4 is going OK – we do have a busy weekend planned, and will be out on Sunday but with our own picnic so we should be able to manage OK.

• posted by Verano
    on

This is a link to a podcast from Dr Rupi Aujla latest newsletter. I haven’t listened to it but do respect this guy so it might be worth a listen if your interested in TRE.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/153-time-restricted-eating-tre-with-professor-satchin/id1316938642?i=1000565581985

FlowersForever well done on dumping the meds. I stopped metformin back in 2017 and I find that if I stay away from processed foods and the white stuff I don’t need to count carbs to keep my blood sugar stable. We all have to work out our ‘best way’. The one thing I am sure of is that carbs and T2 aren’t friends!

• posted by MrsH22
    on

FlowersForever you must be thrilled to be off meds – well done.

Today I’ve had 3 meals. Greek yoghurt & raspberries for breakfast with a coffee.

Lunch was a recipe from the BSD book I think it’s called chicken lettuce wraps? Anyway it was delicious 😋

Then I’ve just had some pesto chicken with courgette.

I’ve got about 60 calories left today and I’m at 29g carbs according to my fitness pal.

How often do you all weigh? I’m finding it hard to wait a week but everyday is too much and I’m getting worried I’ll get obsessed.

on

Hi MrsH22
    I weigh everyday and the one thing i want to say is don’t worry if your weight goes up. I’ve been doing this every day since January. Weight bounces around and is totally normal. It has many causes. Water weight and digestive weight are some causes. Also if you exercise your body retains water to repair muscles. Keep on keeping on it works. Don’t get discouraged. It works.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Thank you so much that’s good to hear. I’ve stayed static for a few days and it’s frustrating.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Day 5 of my reboot, and the week has been good – down to 12st 1.8lb which I am happy with, and the goal is still under 12st by the end of the month.
    No TRE for me today, Friday is cheese omelette day, it feels like a real treat, and then it’ll be a light tuna salad for lunch and probably chicken burgers or similar for supper.
    Keeping on keeping on 🙂

on

Well done Ruby G.
    My loss for the week is 0.5kg. Which is good, considering I reintroduced whole grains. I’ve started weight training with dumbbells with alternate days of upper body and lower body exercises followed by a rest day.
    It’s a family dinner tonight of roast chicken. I’ll have mine with cauliflower sage and onion stuffing.
    Yesterday was a 1200 calorie day so I indulged in red wine which I now mix with sparkling water to make a lower calorie drink. My evening meal was rump steak with bearnaise sauce and salad.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

We’ll done on your loss FlowersForever.

What does TRE stand for?

I’m a bit disappointed with my weight loss seeing as I’m only 3 weeks in. I’ve lost 1.5lb. Did anyone else’s weight loss slow right down? I’m keeping to the 800 calories, carbs between 25-50g a day. From reading the book where Dr Michael Moseley says you get rapid weight loss, I guess I just expected a bit more off this week. Maybe my expectations are too high? He says that losing 10% of your body weight will reduce blood sugars and that would be 26lb for me.

Despite this today so far I’ve had a big lunch of avocado, scrambled egg & smoked salmon (400 cals), not sure what dinner will be except that it’ll be some sort of chicken dish.

Laura

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Laura

TRE stands for time restrictive eating. In other words intermittent fasting. I hope this helps.

on

Hi Laura
    My weight loss slowed down in week three but sped up in week four. I had several plateaus where weight just bounced around the same kg. If you stick to the 800 calories your weight will eventually move.
    TRE is time restricted eating. This is where you eat in a window of a certain number of hours. I do 16/8TRE where all food is consumed in an 8 hour window. I eat twice a day at midday and 7pm. After my evening meal I fast until my first meal at midday.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Thank you Ella-Mae.

FlowersForever that is so reassuring thank you. I will keep plodding on and trust that it will all come together at the end of 12 weeks 😀

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hello, I was wondering if I could join please?
    I was a regular on the forums for a little while last year – I had great success with a low carb, 800 calories (approx) diet, and went from 69kg to 56kg. However, I then unfortunately fell off the wagon and found myself a week and a half ago back at 64kg. I hopped firmly back on the Fast800 plan (with my own tweaks) and am down to 61kg. Without a doubt, carbs and sugars and processed foods were my weakness, and the reason for the weight gain. However, it serves as a lesson to me that those foods do absolutely no favours to my health. Anyway, I would love to join your community again if I can.

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome Hopefulinoz ….. everyone welcome here … oldies, newbies and in betweeners!
    Good luck on your new journey.

on

Welcome Hopefulinoz
    Curious to know what your tweaks are. I’m playing around with the number of fast days. I’m currently at 62.4kg aiming first for 60kg then 55kg.

• posted by wendleg
    on

HI everyone !
    Welcome back HopefulinOz !! I remember you !
    I am a big fan of TRE, well fasting in general really .I started off skipping breakfast which was very easy as I was leaving the house very early .I then moved onto One Meal A Day ( OMAD) for a while, again when I was working and having very busy days .Now my routine in retirement is to do a weekly fast from Sunday evening until Tuesday late afternoon which feels fine . I did try an alternate day fasting experiment but couldn’t sustain it.
    I think you just have to find what suits and remember to build up slowly .

Off to set up the new thread now !

Wendy x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, just arrived back from our trip. Had a great time but the scales will tell how good. So many stops for lunches which always included bread and really no choice in motorway services except salads with pasta or rice so not much difference. Anyway, tomorrow is a new day and I will report in on the next weeks thread ready to start again for our next trip on 27th July for daughters wedding.

Glad to see new members and returner in Hopefulinoz. Nice buzz going on and sharing of tweaks and ideas.

See you all tomorrow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.