Jumbo oats – yes or no?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Stodge
    on

1 week into the diet and I am confused. I have always had a bowl of proper jumbo oat porridge (no sugar but a little salt and pepper to taste) when I get into the office (around 7:45am) and I don’t eat again until lunchtime. I leave for work at 6:30am and can’t face breakfast at that time in the morning.

I always thought that porridge was a good breakfast and being low GI would be OK on the BSD.

Please advise.

On a less confused note – 5lbs lost and really motivated by this new way of life!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Stodge – MM recommends not using commercially prepared oats on the 8 week BSD. For those who are trying to control diabetes, they spike the blood sugars. If you are in that group – then check your BS readings to see if they cause a spike. If you use the search function on the top right and put in ‘porridge’ or ‘oats’ you will get a lot of info on those who think it is fine and others who do not.
    What the books says is use with care and use only rolled (uncut) oats, the type you need to soak overnight as these release the carbs more slowly.
    Well done on getting to the end of week one and on your weight loss!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Stodge
    Read the packet, but I think Jumbo oats are usually rolled and uncut
    It’s those crappy fine milled just pour on some boiling water ones that are evil!

• posted by Stodge
    on

Yes they are rolled and uncut like grannie used to make rather than “ready-brek”.

• posted by Frog
    on

should be fine in moderation then!
    I make up 30 grams of oats in water, soak them overnight, no sugar or sweetener, other than fresh fruit. the brand I have is 111 calories and 17 grams of carb. Its probably one of the carbiest things I have on a regular basis.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Stodge – if they are the ‘uncut’ type then you are fine to use them. As Frog says – use in moderation.

Please log in or register to post a reply.