JOIN WITH US IN JULY 2024 One month at a time : Reboot ? Refresh ?Do your best

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Pootle- trust the process (and well done)- you may already know this, but if they are using the Hba1c test with you, this test, as I understand it, tests your blood for glucose levels in your blood over the last 2-3 months, as that is how long red blood cells live for- so you want to have been steadily on your diet for a while so your results will reflect all your hard work (I’m not diabetic, but I was pre-diabetic in 2020 and went on the blood sugar diet to reverse that- which has been successful to this day) x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Well, I’m sticking to the diet most days (except for the occasional celebration day with guests, or Friday night, and have switched most days to TMAD, during which I find it much easier to stick to (approx) 800 cals….I’m not a breakfast-skipper, I’m an early eater- I feel I need food before work/ before I start my day, but if I eat well then at lunch, and sometimes a coffee mid-late afternoon, I’m pretty content to not have an evening meal……on the days where I have a proper main meal at lunch time (usually what I’ve cooked for the rest of the family the night before) I find it really easy, but yesterday I had salad for lunch (with plenty of protein and good fat and I hit my cals), and boy did I struggle to not eat the yummy dinner I prepared for the fam- but I held onto the fact that I have some of that to look forward to at lunch time today!! 12.5 lbs down, so it is worth it to see the results, and I feel good in terms of energy, and can see my resting HR reducing- I use fitbit and the fitbit app and she is very happy with me 🙂 ……I’m also finding an exercise routine that works for me (had to stop the running again due to aches and pains, but I’ve restarted in-person zumba classes (I love dancing), I am doing sone resustance work amd walking.
    Love to all xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    Today , instead of rushing to the scales I thought ‘sod it’ !
    They don’t love me this week so I will play hard to get .
    I have read all your comments , thank you so much for hanging in there with me. Previously as I haven’t lost the ‘ perfect pound’ each week I was overlooked or dismissed by others . This IS the time I NEED support and help. As I have said before , this is the time I gave up. This time , here, right now I AM battling with giving in. I am saying if only I can get past this part, I pray that it’s plain sailing after that.
    I loved the suggestions for the meals, I am off to the shops to get eggs. Scrambled, omelette , fried, boiled etc. and it’s a controlled portion. Eg when you just shake a few more out of the bag ( it won’t matter that much attitude)
    It’s the 10th today… I am within sight of the 14th. This is my first huge goal to get there. I Soooo look forward afterwards to share tips on tweaking my food to be healthier and to lose blubber like a pro.
    So I am walking to the shops , chatting with a friend, drinking water, adding eggs to the salad. Maybe tomorrow I will look at the scales .
    Keep going everyone, don’t give up. I haven’t lost weight but I am walking more, keeping busy and have slowly changed what I eat for healthier options. Most importantly I am winning the fight with the demons in my head who want me to lay down and give up. If you can’t do one day at a time, just do one hour at a time.
    Love Lucia xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, finally some good news. Just back from the cardio and he doesn’t want to see either of us for 2 years now.

I am glad Pootle and Lucy have met up. It is easier for someone who is on the same path at the same time to help each other. Pootle telling Lucy it is not easy is better than be being a bit more gentle about carbs. I just don’t want to put anyone off about exactly how hard it is but if they can go through it together. Lucia, although not diabetic is still in the learning phase so I hope you can all support each other.

I don’t really have a choice about being strict. I know that even a slice of bread will put my BG up and as someone said recently carbs drag you back in and make it even harder to give them up when you keep giving in to them. They are addictive, they drive hunger and they increase craving for more. I think the only carb I do have might be a small bread roll once every 5 or 6 weeks when we go out for a meal. I would never ever think about eating a chocolate eclair or something like that even though hubby buys 2 every week. I didn’t even have a taste of daughters wedding cake 2 years ago.

Have a good rest of the week.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I hear you. It does feel like demons, trying to get control of our eating. It is SO frustrating, because we are competent people, and it seems just plain dumb that we are weak in the face of food.
    I was there too, gaining weight every week and not able to slow or control it (I was 59 years old when I started — post menopausal, not on medication and very athletic/active).
    I can offer a couple of suggestions which worked for me, but probably you will have to try on several ideas and pick and choose for yourself as you go forward. Getting food-control is individually accomplished — all advice is just a starting point. Work through ideas for what works for you personally.
    So, my most useful change was, number one, CUTTING OUT ALL SUGAR. No real sugar, no fake sugar (aspartame, saccharine etc), no alternative sugar (dates, malts, agave, maple syrup etc..), no refined flour, no bread, no crackers, no potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no rice, no wheat, no corn, no milk, no fruit, no beer.
    I know it is a big ask. It was like entering a new food world for me. I was grossed out by the amount of fat and protein at first — it went against EVERYTHING I had been taught for forty years! Where was my “healthy fruit” and whole grains, and milk? OMG I am eating so much FAT!!
    Turns out, you can live very healthfully without all those. It took about a year, seriously, a YEAR, and then one day, in some weird way, I no longer craved sugar. It was a life-changer. I could finally control my appetite. I have come to the point where I believe that sugar really IS addictive — something that I would have argued against until I was blue in the face before.
    Start by controlling ALL sugar. Do not worry about your fat and protein intake. My blood work is perfect despite heavy cream in my coffee and meat and fat at all meals. Start there — you can work your way into adding back some fruit (tiny quantities) and some beans, grains (tiny qualities) and evaluate how you go from there. This is YOUR diet for YOUR body.
    Start with the sugar!!!! In my mind, it is the key.
    If all you do is “just” control sugar for the next 12 months, I think you will get control.
    I know it’s a crazy “ask”. But try it. It is the answer I believe in, from personal experience. Control sugar, and it will free you.
    So keep going, get strict, good to see you back here.
    Julia

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Evening all…
    Just popping in briefly.
    I do get to read the posts via email but then forget to log on here lol
    Good to see new / returning folk and where ever you are in your journey, it has begun!
    I am delighted to say I am presently losing and will wait til weekend to state numbers but yesterday I had got rid of 0.7kg after being really good for 1 day. I have also bought MM Keto recipes book and am enjoying trying out these new recipes. Tonight we had ribeye with this rodesco? sauce and broccoli…so simple and quick.
    Breakfasts have been eggs, bacon and now I will do the eggs different ways to keep it interesting. I do want to make the granola so shall see for weekend.
    This way is suiting me better and am enjoying it more. Actually, hubby decided to join me and I think that is what I needed, his ok and so we have already reduced numerous cups of tea to drinking water and a couple of cups a day!!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Hey Julia, sorry I missed your post which you probably posted same time as me!
    I LOVE your revelations about sugar etc and I have been researching and come across a lot of info on high protein , animal fats, and we have been adopting eating a lot more meats and less veg / salad and so far enjoying it. I need to reduce my milk intake but its not a race!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    Thank you so much for all your support.
    I NEED it, especially as I am in the period were I usually give up as things stall.
    This morning I didn’t run to the scales as I got out of bed. I tend to do this task first thing without fail. So today I am reaching for eggs for breakfast instead of the weigh in.
    I am so grateful to California girl for taking the time for a wonderful message which made me stop and think. Some messages you read some messages hit the mark. This one did .
    I AM a sugar addict.
    So instead of wasting time in weighing this, and trimming that, and fussing about – her message was clear , her explanation, I understood . I see it as “KNOCK OFF the sugar Lucia “!!!!
    and be aware it comes camouflaged , has so many faces, names, wrappings etc you know what I mean.
    Bless you ! Message received loud and clear.
    So today, hour by hour I will avoid the Sugar.
    Love Lucia xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LUCIA! i just came by to say hello as I noticed your name on the sidepanel of “recent posts!”
    I remember you from years ago – you were always so positive and full of little ideas,breaking big tasks down into smaller do able things – you were a real inspiration to me,so thanks for that.
    You can do this Lucia! Just remember all the yummy stuff…creamy greek yog and juicy berries,nuts,seeds,avocado. I love buttery scrambled eggs 😋 and I ve grown to love masses of green veg with plenty of garlic and a little drizzle of butter through eating low carb…even better,MM eventually said,dont nother counting the cals/ carbs in green veg. Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Great to “ see “ you! I LOVE seeing names from circa 2016 🥰 Xx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi yowzer49
    It’s nice of you to remember me..I had the support of my family back then. I was younger in body and mind.
    This time, After illnesses and self neglect it hit me that I must do something about my health .
    I am seeing the nurse and doctor then the nurse soon who want to give me a leaflet. No support , nor medical stuff nor encouragement especially when I said I am on my own with this.
    So I am hanging on with my fingernails to get it all turned around (again)
    Grateful for any guidance
    Love Lucia xx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Lucia,
    Your response to my posting almost had me in tears — I am humbled that it was useful — as you know we sort of send out our posts into the internet “ether” and never know if they are helpful or reach anyone at all.
    So you’ve absolutely got it! Start with the zero-sugar adventure and I will work on thinking about what my second most important experience was with this way of eating. I’ll post it soon. (and hey Sunshine Girl, Wendleg, Verano.. all long term posters… what finally clicked for you? What finally made it all work?)
    And remember, it’s OK TO MESS UP. If I had a dollar (or British pound) for all the times I messed up, I would be investing in Bitcoin (maybe we should anyway ha ha). Seriously, if things going south, and you eat stuff you know isn’t good, start IMMEDIATELY back on path.
    The very next meal.
    Don’t delay.
    I found that restarting immediately kept my failure moments from having any impact.
    Your body is your best friend. Treat it the same as a best friend. If you mess up with a friend, you apologise! (that’s starting again).
    Best wishes,
    Julia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    I haven’t weighed myself today, I have been for a walk and started pottering around keeping myself busy.
    I loved the suggestion of eggs, they are a measured portion and you can cook them several ways. I have fish for today, I have found a fish shop (very expensive but when you think how much you spend on takeaways and chocolate it’s worth it).

The daily mail newspaper is doing an item on Micheal mosley today… just one thing.
    So I will walk to the shops and get it. I think that’s my mantra… just one thing. As I can’t cope with changing everything at once , I am trying to / not rely on the scales / eat salads for a week for a rest or change from all the other foods / walking more / acknowledging my mind is fragile and taking it one thing at a time / finding substitutes to the junk food. / realising how much sugar is hidden in food. / eating food that looks like food and not processed / small goals just getting to 14th and not giving up.
    Tiny baby steps as Micheal said.
    Finally California girl and all others reading, I ask you all to hold my hand and walk beside me as I do this change for me. It will be your greatest gift.
    Love Lucia xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Julia wise words as always.

I’m not sure what ‘finally clicked ‘ for me and in fact I’m not sure it ever did. Yes I came here to lose weight but that wasn’t really my most motivating issue. As I said to Pootle above my journey began because I was T2 on the highest dose of metformin, threatened with more medication and with a friend, with uncontrolled T2, who had just had a toe amputated.

I assumed that weight loss was key to controlling my diabetes but with time, research and plenty of hindsight I realise that my enemy is carbs and not weight loss per se. I guess I was one of the lucky/unlucky ones in that I was never ‘addicted’ to sugar and never suffered from ‘carb flu’. I say ‘unlucky’ because when I lapse, which I do more often these days, I don’t have to go through ‘carb flu’ again which I’m sure must act as a deterrent for many people.

I guess I’m in a ‘maintenance’ program of sorts. I ‘know’ when I’ve eaten too many carbs and finger pricking confirms this and sends me quickly back down the straight and narrow path. I’ve controlled my diabetes, medication free, for nearly 8 years now which is a win for me but I’m not really qualified to offer advice about weight loss apart from the fact that we all really know the answer it’s just putting it into practice!

Lucia. I assumed you were the same Lucia but now I know that you are! Welcome back! One of the most difficult things is ‘returning’ but you’ve taken that huge step and now it’s just one baby step at a time as you say, and moving forward slowly. You seem to have your head in the right spot and I think that’s probably the most important way to succeed. Yes there will always be somebody here to listen, give advice when wanted and the odd kick up the *** when needed!

I love fish too! Not that many of us here do. I agree fish has become very much more expensive lately but, as you say, takeaways are also expensive and it’s very easy to ‘add’ the odd naan or slice of garlic bread etc. to the order. I have really simple way to oven cook/airfry fish if you’d like it.

You talk about ‘food that looks like food’. I have been shocked recently by some ‘foods’ that I thought were ‘real’ , like ice cream, so I guess my one piece of advice is always read the list of ingredients. My OH, bless him, bought me some 85% chocolate the other day. We are in Portugal at the moment so he didn’t read the ingredients. It contained an artificial sweetener which acts as a laxative if eaten to excess! Not chocolate at all as I know it!

One day at a time and as s-g says, keep on keeping on ………

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g great news! Must be a weight lifted from your shoulders. Just enjoy the summer now without too many thoughts…. ‘gay abandon’ maybe!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Here is my lesson in life. Yesterday I went shopping on an (almost) empty stomach. I could feel myself getting hot, sweating, weak and knew I had to eat something quick and not wish to face making lunch when I got home I grabbed a small baguette. Number one – do not go food shopping hungry and if you are diabetic, don’t go anywhere without eating first.

When I got home I made myself a ‘healthy’ tuna salad baguette and had that for lunch. As I was worried about feeling ill I took a blood reading and it was 230!!!!!! Anyway, lesson 2, it would have been just as quick to make a tuna salad as I had to have something to put in the baguette and would have been healthier and still done the trick without the sky high BG.

Later I still felt ill and went for a lie down. I didn’t feel any better but had to cook dinner which was cubed chicken with onions, red pepper, mushrooms and a tomato sauce. Quite healthy but I still didn’t feel good. So I had another piece of the baguette.

Just as I was brushing my teeth before bed I felt the usual sweats, weakness etc so did another BG test and it was down to 48. I had some cheese then a Werthers Original and got it back up to 78.

Lesson, bread doesn’t help when BG is low, it just give you a massive high which will drop quickly and leave you feeling just as bad. It is better, if you can to have a proper meal without the bread. A tuna salad would have been perfect because the bread set me up for a big drop later in the day. We all make mistakes but we should try to learn from them. Next time I am shopping and feeling hungry walk past the bread aisle.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Pleased to hear you are feeling better now S-G👍
    I’m still on holiday but have been reading all the advice with interest because it’s always helpful!
    I can’t remember who advised this but thank you & one thing I will return to doing when I get home is practicing food order which is easy to do & makes a lot of sense to me. It’s eating vegetables first or salad first when starting a meal to prime the digestive system & keep insulin levels stable. I usually serve a small green salad before lunch & supper now to eat first which is easy for me because I eat two meals a day & follow TRE. There is a reason restaurants offer bread first thing because eating it raises blood sugar/insulin levels increasing hunger so by the time the main meal arrives & is eaten guess what you find you have room for dessert! Very clever & profitable catering no doubt acquired by observing customers.
    I also have a couple of easy favourite recipes from MMs fast 800 Keto book & often make soups for lunch which are filling , low calorie & sustaining.
    Recipe 1. Chunky courgette & dill soup with prawns. 162 cals per serving 17g protein 5g carbs. Serves 2.
    1 leek, 2 medium courgettes, 1/4 tsp chilli flakes, 600 ml stock ( I use Marigold Boullion powder) 150 g cooked prawns ( I always use frozen ones & keep a pack in the freezer)
    Sauté sliced leek in one tbs olive oil until soft, add cubed courgettes & chilli & stock & simmer for 5 mins. Take half the soup & blend until smooth ( I hava a hand blender but could be mashed) return to pan with the prawns & gently heat through.
    Recipe 2
    Black bean chilli. Serves 4. 172 cals, 8 G protein, 16g carbs
    1 medium onion , 1 red pepper finely chopped, 150g mushrooms finely chopped, 1 tsp cumin, 2 garlic cloves or garlic purée, 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1 400g can black beans, 1 400g can chopped tomatoes , stock powder or cube, 4 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt.
    Sauté onion pepper & mushrooms until soft. Add cumin garlic & chilli flakes. Mash half the black beans & add them with whole beans to the pan with the tinned tomatoes & stock cube or powder then simmer for fifteen minutes.
    Serve with a spoon of yoghurt on the top.
    Can be served with a little wholewheat couscous or brown rice. I usually double the spices because we prefer this & tinned mushrooms can be used so it’s a store cupboard staple for us.
    I hope these recipes will be enjoyed.
    There are tributes to Michael Mosley being shown all day today on the BBC. I certainly miss his wise words, humour & advice!
    Margaret xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.