Is anybody using Sweet Potato Toast?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

What it says in the title.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there

Haven’t tried this – like sweet potato but have been swerving as root veg, and likely carb heavy.

The concept looks good and with a bit of fiddling with MyFitnessPal, I think that a slice of sweet potato would probably be c 50g (?), and therefore a ‘slice of sweet potato toast’ would be c 55cals, 13 carbs (of which 3g would be sugar).

That’s too many carbs in one go for me (I try and keep mine below 20g per day), and I think to have sweet potato toast with avocado too (often suggested), then the whole thing might be 20g of carbs in itself.

So depending on how many carbs you’re targeting, might be worth a try!

Keep us posted! πŸ™‚

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Having read your analysis of the carbs, cals etc I think I will wait to try them until after the diet is over for me. If I was doing the 5:2, it wouldn’t be bad to try it on a non-fasting day. I did the 5:2 last year, it was the 600 cal for men, 500 cal for women which MM espoused. I lost a stone on that, but it has crept on again as after 7 years of keeping my diabetes in the normal range according to my HbA1c, I found I was chancing more carby food recently.

As Michael says in a previous post ” There is a bit of confusion about carbs as this is not a very low carb diet, and it certainly isn’t a low fat diet. We encourage you to enjoy a moderate amount of healthy fats, including full fat dairy products. Will be writing a post for The Blood Sugar Diet about the recent research in the area.”

Less than 20 per day strikes me as more Atkins than BSD. But I read some of your past posts and see you know your way around low carb high fat diets, and you aren’t diabetic, just worried about becoming one. Good luck with your and your OH’s losses.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you Ziggy. I am not at all an expert (Internet research and a couple of books only) and don’t know much about Atkins. My drive for relatively low carbs was because I had not very much weight to lose. I am continuing just for a few more weeks (have increased overall calories to 1000 per day) to see if I can knock off the final pound to target. Then will increase carbs a bit.

I think the sweet potato thing does sound good! πŸ™‚

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi Igorasusal/

Atkins starts of at pretty much zero carbs, or as near to zero that you can get, then slowly introduces them into the diet again. How much weight are you looking to lose?
    I m aiming for the 15% that MM mentions, (have my doubts as to whether I can do it) though after week 2 weigh in I am a third of the way there. Have upped my exercise a good bit. Problem is, that being a diabetic in control I have been low carbing enough to keep my HbA1c in normal levels since diagnosis, and maybe the FAST diet won’t be that much of a shock to my system to encourage it to burn my inner fat off. Having said that I did lose over a stone on the 5:2 diet last year, so maybe ………….. (fingers and toes crossed emoticon(

Hope your last pound goes quickly! Then just a matter of maintenance.

• posted by mbb22
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

I read that you stick to 20g of carbs a day and was just wondering what kinds of low carb foods you’re eating to be able to stay under 20g?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi mbb22

Well, an average sort of day for me would be

B: frittata made with two eggs, 80g courgette, 6 baby plum tomatoes, 30g mushroom, cooked in olive oil and served on 20g of baby spinach. I might add either halloumi or feta cheese to that if having it later on. With my 3 cups of white coffee, no sugar, that’s about 11 carbs according to MyFitnessPal

L: 2 slices Leerdammer cheese with 20g smoked salmon. Don’t always have this – often go through to dinner. If I have it- that’s no carbs.

D: something like salmon fillet, or prawns, stir fry of veg such as 150g courgette ( 3g carbs), chilli pepper (2g carbs), 80g green beans (3g carbs), 1 spring onion (v little carb), 6 baby plum tomatoes (2g carb), 30g red pepper (2g carb). I would select and adjust quantities to hit my target. Cauliflower also good. I posted a recipe here for salmon fillet cooked in the oven with a spicy topping, and that’s a good example of what I’ve been eating.

I agree 20g of carb is a challenge – if I go over by 2 or 3 I don’t beat myself up. And possibly I’ve been enjoying the same things regularly – eg the base of 20g of baby spinach as a salad, or a head of chicory chopped – but I have really enjoyed my food.

Having hit my target weight, today I’ve increased my carb target to 30 and got dinner cooked a cauliflower and green bean bhaji, served on my baby spinach. OH and I each had c80g cauliflower, 80g green beans, 4 Spring onions, 6 baby tomatoes, half chilli pepper, cooked with spices, garlic and ginger. I added 2 hard boiled eggs each.

Quite a substantial plateful and total 12 carbs.

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Sorry Ziggy, only just spotted your post
    πŸ™

I’ve finished my 8 weeks – started 10st 8lbs and had ambitious target of 9st. This is the end of my 10th week and I was 8st 13lbs this morning. Last couple of lbs took a couple of weeks and I was away on holiday for one of them.

I have said on another thread that a low carb target worked for me – I did this as I had comparatively little to lose, not type 2 (though OH is, and has followed similar carb targets with higher calories and managed in 4 weeks to get blood sugar back into normal range and halve his Metformin dose).

Not saying it’s for everyone – but it did work amazingly for me. I really couldn’t have done it without MyFitnessPal and knowing the carb values of what I’ve been cooking and eating.

• posted by mbb22
    on

Thank you so much Igorasusual, that helps a lot! I’m particularly interested today as I my carb count was quite high today and it really made me just want to eat and keep on eating, which I haven’t experienced yet since doing the Fast 800.

I started last Monday and have been reading your posts on another of the forums about not having much to lose. I wanted to post on there and say thanks for all your posts as they’ve been really inspiring and motivating for me. If I remember correctly we’re the same height (5’3ish) and I have found it really helpful to see how well you have done with losing weight and it’s really allowed me to believe that it is possible for me! I’ve been overweight for a long time and I’d almost resigned myself to the fact that the smallest I would ever get would be 10 stone (which is still feeling a bit impossible for me as I’m around 17lbs away – but way closer than when I started!) but you’ve really given me hope and a goal so thank you! And congratulations on all your hard work x

Please log in or register to post a reply.