I need to be accountable

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JMG
    on

I’ve decided to put my journey on the forum as a way of staying accountable.

I have struggled to lose the weight I gained after having my babies. In addition, I am insulin resistant. I do not have very much weight to lose but I do need to change my diet.

My stats are:
    1.64m
    64.5kg

I am starting tomorrow.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi JMG – welcome aboard the BSD ‘train’. Like you I have struggled to lose weight – been a bit of a life long thing actually. I started off at:
    1.55 (5′ 1″)
    69.39kg (153lb)

Now at 61.67lg (136lb). Did a seven week stint, broke for a long stay in Turkey for 10wks and now I am into week eight of a second stint.

Sadly for those of us with not much to lose, even using this new way of eating we generally find the weight drops slowly. However, it seems that progress is still largely steady. The best bit though, is that the BSD way of eating is habit forming, so that once you are over the initial couple of weeks, the whole thing feels really easy.

Look forward to reading your results soon. Be sure to make good use of the forum for support and advise when necessary, there is a great crowd on here, with a wealth of information and encouragement.

Good luck!

• posted by JMG
    on

Thank you SunnyB. Day 1 wasn’t too bad.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs
    Lunch: Salad with avocado
    Dinner: Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
    Drinks: 2 tea with milk
    Water: 9 glasses
    Calories: 771
    Carbs: 46g
    Steps: 22888
    Weight loss: 700g

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 2:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
    Dinner: Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
    Water: 8 glasses
    Calories: 684
    Carbs: 40g
    Steps: 27890 (including 3.4 interval session & 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JMG.
    I just posted on the starting 8 week forum looking for a fellow mum to do this with to lose the last of the baby weight. May i join you in this adventure. Perhaps we may jolly each other along when we feel like caving.
    Ht 167cm
    Wt 65kg
    Need to lose 5kg to return to prepregnancy self and seriously regain some fitness.
    Caro

• posted by JMG
    on

Hi Caro,

Welcome! I would love to share the journey with someone.

It was not the best week for me to start last week due to a 4-day trip to the mountains with a group of friends. Too much yummy food and wine ( I didn’t bother recording my calories for those four days). As a consequence, this week’s loss has been fairly minimal – only 300g total over the week – 64.2kg. Hopefully I will be more focused this week with no trips away or eating out.

Day 7:
    Lunch: Ratatouille/Miso Soup
    Dinner: 2 boiled eggs
    Snacks: Freddo Frog/Muffin (coconut flour)
    Calories: 746
    Carbs: 42g
    Steps: 23076 (including 5km tempo run & 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 100g
    Fast: 16hrs

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JMG.
    You are very good for documenting everything. I get on the scale every morning and write down what i eat but don’t seem to get around to the cals and carb content. Just trying to find the right foods. Think i made a mistake today with peas and broad beans. Love them. Ate lots of them as i love them but didn’t realize til afterwards they had a high carb load. The scales said i lost 2kg by the morning of day 4 and put 700g back on by this morning day 5. Hopefully tomorrow’s weigh in is at least in the downward direction.

Which country are you in JMG? I am in Australia.
    Caro

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 8:

Lunch: Ratatouille/Miso Soup
    Dinner: Cashews/Peas
    Snacks: Camembert
    Calories: 734
    Carbs: 40g
    Steps: 20429 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g (64.0kg)
    Fast: 16 hrs

Hey Caro,

I am in Australia too – NSW. I use My Fitness Pal to record everything and that makes it easy to see calories and carbs. I am fairly boring with my food. I pretty much have the same breakfast every day because it is easy. I find Miso soup really filling which keeps me going during the day. Lunch and dinner vary but not a lot. Must be a creature of habit.

I think it is normal during the week to go up and down and hopefully at the end of the week the scales are going down.

JMG

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Hello Mate! I think I watch too much Crocodile Dundee! That is a great track of daily eating! Keep it up! You a copycat of my profile? Well, good that I have good affect on others! To be great and successful, you need rhythm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyMpQ2lq9EI

Hey LONDON! Give me back ShowBoat! Miss Saigon and Funny Girl are coming back to NYC in Spring! Can’t Wait! Sorry British Empire, I am rooting for Americans like Steve Johnson and John Isner! You are on my territory now in Queens, NY. 😀

Well, lots of good luck and I was once given advice from Leo Nimoy that I should give to you:

Live Long And Prosper!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by Caro
    on

Hmmm. Day 6 started out great. Had a baby sitter for a few hours so i was very efficiently crossing of various jobs and errands. Then came the hunger. Late afternoon. Hasn’t been like this before. Had some chickpeas. I am allergic to nuts so i can’t snack on those like others do. Was passing time at the shops early evening while my daughter does an after school activity. I had Lindt chocolate – one of the snack sizes bars they have brought out. I actually sought out the chocolate aisle when all week i have avoided it. If there is a positive from it i can say that I felt a bit off after eating it so no enjoyment there. A good thing I suppose. But the evening got worse. After we got home and my lovely dinner of chicken and salad I got the munchies. Muesli bar. Cereal. And finished with 2 slices of toast. Aaaaargh. It was as if I couldn’t stop myself. This is the type of evening I would always have. An overload of carbs from Crunchy things. So now having thought about it – It is the crunch I am missing. Suffice to say I didn’t count my cals yesterday just noted the foods down.
    Anyway today is a new day. OH is home and can keep me on the straight and narrow for a week if i look like straying to the pantry. He has enough willpower for a whole country and will happily eat what i eat to make things easier for the family routine. Maybe I won’t get on the scales today. Tomorrow morning will be day 1 of week 2 so i will weigh then.
    Ordered a Garmin fitness watch thing last night. Actually for father’s day so might get one for myself once i have seen it.
    Ok. Confession complete.
    JMG – look forward to your itemized day. I did try Mfp but it took me so long i lost interest. So i just write it down.
    Hope you are all having success.

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 9:

Lunch: Ratatouille
    Dinner: Roast Lamb/Salad
    Snacks:
    Water: 9 glasses
    Calories: 672
    Carbs: 26g
    Steps: 18374 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 1.1kg (62.9kg)

Thanks PrincestonianStud! Same to you. Caro, I use a Garmin and find it really good. I sync it with Garmin Connect on my iphone and then it automatically links to MFP. I have always used Garmin watches and have never had a problem with them. Nice that your OH is back home for a while. Have you tried Miso Soup as a snack. I find it very filling and low cals. Also, you could have a glass of milk. That would fill you up. Also, try brushing your teeth straight after dinner. It might deter you from eating after dinner.
    Hope you have a good day today.

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JMG. another good day for you! Which Miso soup brand do you buy? I used to love it but when i have liked recently the only brands i can find are full of preservatives. I enjoy todu so could add that also. Caro

• posted by Caro
    on

Should have checked the spelling in previous post. That is swipe text for you on a Samsung. Should say looked and tofu

• posted by JMG
    on

Hikari Miso – Instant Miso Soup (Wakame)

• posted by Caro
    on

Morning. Week i am please to say yesterday was a success. Stuck to the right foods. While temptation was around me in the school playground after school (we stay behind on Fridays with a group so the kids can play ) I avoided everything. Then at home same thing.
    Anyway to cap off the end of Week 1 – I have lost 2.2kg. Happy with that.
    So am motivated for day 1 of week 2 today. I know the weight loss will slow so I hope to lose 1kg this week. Maybe that is a bit too ambitious given less to lose overall but I will try.
    JMG – bought some Miso soup so will put that to good use today. Hope you have a good weekend.
    The one down side of my OH being home is that my routine is thrown out and I don’t get out to walk with my son. We run around doing jobs which mainly involve driving. Another reason the weight loss will slow. Never mind. So far so good.
    Caro

on

Keep it up! And do me a small favor:

Reward yourself daily on your successses!!!

Just a long bubble bath is a reward I do for myself!

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by Caro
    on

A long bath – don’t know what one of those is! With 2 young kids a reward is simply 5 minutes of peace.
    My reward will be new clothes a bit at a time.

• posted by Frog
    on

Just think of all the exercise they’re giving you Caro!

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 10:

Lunch: Salad
    Dinner: Roast Lamb/Salad
    Snacks: A small piece of chocolate
    Calories: 705
    Carbs: 34g
    Steps: 26023 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (62.6kg)

Day 11:

Breakfast: 1 fried egg and mushrooms
    Lunch: Pumpkin Soup
    Dinner: 2 boiled eggs
    Snacks:
    Calories: 617
    Carbs: 36g
    Steps: 16405 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (62.3kg)
    Fast: 12 hrs

Day 12:

Lunch: Pumpkin Soup
    Dinner: Pumpkin Soup
    Snacks: Camembert, Cashews, a piece of chocolate
    Calories: 696
    Carbs: 62g
    Steps: 26438 (including 7km run and 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (62.0kg)

Hey Caro, well done on your 2.2kgs. That’s awesome. Glad the miso worked out. I made pumpkin and mushroom soup on the weekend so I will be living on that for a couple of days. I love soup! Had a good weekend despite going to several social engagements but I made sure I ate before I went and didn’t eat too much while there. I know what you mean about a long bath. I always promise myself one and I’d be lucky to have one per year. Just have too much to do with my children around.

Hope you have a good week.

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 13:

Lunch: Mushroom Soup
    Dinner: Pumpkin Soup
    Snacks: Cashews
    Calories: 594
    Carbs: 41g
    Steps: 17235 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g (61.8kg)

• posted by Ffaster
    on

Hi All
    I might jump in on the BSD action too if that’s ok? I’m a working mum of young kids who has steadily gotten fatter since pregnancy on a diet of tea and biscuits as well as kids left overs.
    I started the BSD with a vengeance a month ago ( the freezer is full of BSD soups) but petered out very quickly. Let’s hope take two is slightly more successful👍

• posted by JMG
    on

Welcome Ffaster!
    I hope we can help support you in your endeavours.
    The forums is great and very inspiring. Have a look around.

• posted by JULIEAA
    on

HI everyone – I’ve just ordered the book and keen to get started.
    Needing to lose 15kg+ after gaining a lot of weight the past 15m after cancer treatment (prognosis is good for me!).
    Curious to know re meals – does everyone eat 3 meals per day, or do some find it easier to have 2 meals??
    And is it a good idea to weigh daily ???
    I’m a South Australian girl…. wanting to be slimmer for our summer 🙂
    Thanks everyone!

• posted by JMG
    on

Hi JulieAA,

Welcome! So glad you have joined us. Good to hear that your prognosis is good. Must have been a very difficult time for you.

I eat three meals per day but in saying that I eat breakfast quite late as I fast 16 hours most days. Technically, it is probably not breakfast.

I weigh every day but a lot of people don’t. It is not necessary to but I like to.

Look forward to seeing your results.

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JulieAA.
    Yes welcome and hope you have great success with everything. This is a very supportive forum. I am only on day 11. Definitely gets easier after the first week. You don’t have to make fancy meals with exotic ingredients that you may not have in the pantry normally. Just meals that you actually want to eat is the key and easy otherwise hunger can get the better off you if you are not prepared. I find leaving breakfast till 9am works for me and leaving lunch as late as possible. The afternoons into the evening are the hardest. I get hungry and sometimes the energy slump so most of my food intake is later in the day. All the best. Caro

• posted by Ffaster
    on

Day 1
    Breakfast: Fried eggs and tomatoes
    Lunch: mushroom soup
    Snack: cheese, blueberries
    Dinner: steak, asparagus & mushrooms
    Cals: 850:

• posted by JMG
    on

Day 14:

Dinner:
    Snacks:
    Drinks: 1 tea with milk
    Calories: 423
    Carbs: 19g
    Steps: 22,300 (including 4km tempo run and 3km walk)
    Weight loss: +100g (61.9kg)

Total Loss for week: 2.3kg

• posted by Ffaster
    on

Day two
    Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes
    Lunch: tuna bean salad
    Dinner: mushroom soup
    Snacks: blueberries, coffee, corn
    Cals: 890

Struggled loads in the evening- cactus hour with the kids. Desperately wanted a carb fix or a glass of wine to cope with the whining and fighting. Managed to struggle through with… Water. Fingers crossed everyone goes to bed early tonight. I’m not sure how long the water will cut it.

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JMG.
    how do you manage to get all your exercise in? As predicted i haven’t even managed a walk since OH came home. And haven’t weighed myself since Monday morning day 3 of week 2 as the scales showed an increase of 1kg over night! Super bloated with retained fluid from imminent period. Refuse to get back on the scales until bloating has gone otherwise i would be very disheartened and definitely would hear the chocolate calling my name. One more day of driving around cramming as many jobs in as we can before he is off again then i can get back to a daily walk with my son. Caro

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 3 Day 1:

Lunch:
    Dinner: Steak and salad
    Snacks: Grapes, blue cheese, cashews
    Water: 7 glasses
    Calories: 749
    Carbs: 35g
    Steps: 22,975 (including 6 km walk)
    Weight loss: 100g (61.8kg)

Hey Caro,
    I have to admit that I get up early to run. I meet my running buddy at about 5.30am. I work full-time so I have to squeeze in the walks whenever I can. While my children are at swimming lessons I get to go for a walk, music lessons etc. Also, I often go out as soon as my husband gets home from work and he takes over cooking the dinner which is a big help.

Don’t be disheartened. There will always be weeks when the loss is big and then the next week, it will be small. I am having a small loss week as well this week. Enjoy the last few days with your husband.

Ffaster – I can totally relate. I’m so used to relaxing with a glass of red in the evenings. I now drink loads of water at night and I no longer think about having a glass of wine. I think it was the sugar in the wine that I was addicted to.

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 3 Day 2:

Breakfast:
    Lunch: Egg Salad
    Dinner: Grilled chicken
    Snacks: 1 glass wine
    Calories: 803
    Carbs: 25g
    Steps: 15543 (including 3.6km interval run)
    Weight loss: 700g (61.1kg)

Went to the theatre last night so treated myself to a glass of vino.

• posted by Caro
    on

Morning.
    Well after seeing off what turned out to be a rather stressful and emotional week and got rid of period i am back to report in for day 1 of week 3.
    Only lost 300g last week. Not surprised or disappointed actually. Just glad it was a downward trend. Fell off the wagon a fair bit if the truth be told. Other half has gone back to work so can get back to my routine.
    Another thing i noticed was that my usual comfort foods did not satisfy me the way they used to. In fact they would leave me feeling a bit yuck.
    So after two weeks on BSD i have lost 2.8kg.
    JMG – your commit to exercise is to be commended. Only in my dreams. ……

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 3 Day 3:
    Breakfast:
    Lunch: Egg Salad
    Dinner: Scampi/Scallops/Vegetables/wine
    Water: 10 glasses
    Carbs: 25g
    Steps: 20610 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 700g (61.1kg)

Week 3 Day 4:
    Breakfast:
    Lunch: Cashews/Macadamias
    Dinner: Steak/Vegetables/Cream Potato/Wine/Meringue with cream and berries
    Snacks: Cheese
    Water: 6 glasses
    Calories: 1459
    Carbs: 103g
    Steps: 19673 (including 5km run and 3km walk)
    Weight loss: +600g (61.6kg)

Week 3 Day 5:
    Lunch: Cashews/Cheese/Pepperoni/Olives
    Dinner:
    Snacks: 2 pieces chocolate
    Water: 6 glasses
    Calories: 808
    Carbs: 42g
    Steps: 30298 (including 12km walk)
    Weight loss: 400g (61.2kg)

A weekend of eating out – dinner on Friday with other mothers, dinner at a friend’s place on Saturday and Father’s Day on Sunday. Plenty of exercise though so happy with that.

Well done on your 2.8kg Caro. It is good to see the scales moving downwards. I hope you have a good week being back in routine.
    I find the same thing with all my old snack foods – I don’t get as much satisfaction out of eating them anymore. Even the chocolate yesterday did not taste as good as usual.

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 3 Day 6:

Breakfast: 2 x boiled eggs
    Lunch: Cheese Salad
    Dinner: Butter Chicken & Cauliflower Rice
    Carbs: 38g
    Steps: 18643 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (60.9kg)

• posted by JULIEAA
    on

Thanks everyone for your support. I managed to get thro Day 1 with 799 calories!! YAY ME!!
    Loving seeing everyones days and losses! 🙂

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 3 Day 7:

Breakfast: Poached eggs, mushrooms, avocado
    Lunch:
    Dinner: Gnudi with Butter & Sage Sauce
    Calories: 915
    Carbs: 38g
    Steps: 26160 (including 4 km tempo run and 8km walk)
    Weight loss: +300g (61.2kg)
    Total loss for week: 700g

Not a great week with lots of eating out. The next two weeks are much quieter socially so I should be able to stay on task more easily.

Well done, JULIEAA! Look forward to your posts.

on

Eating out is a killer for me this week too. This is the downside of traveling anywhere….. especially NYC filled with pizza shops, cheesecake, and junk food joints at every street corner. It was crazy last night at The US open with Djokavich having his 2nd game with a retired player. So odd! i never seen that before, especially with Frenchman Tsonga.

I seem to munch and munch when sitting all day watching tennis matches. Atleast it is not munching on pizza and junk food. I hit the champagne bar instead at Ashe Stadium and japanese/korean food nearby.

Keep it up!

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 4 Day 1:

Lunch:
    Dinner:
    Snacks: Chocolate Cake
    Water: 12 glasses
    Calories: 517
    Carbs: 47g
    Steps: 22937 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (60.9kg)

Didn’t really stay focused yesterday with a big piece of chocolate cake. Hope to have a better day today.

I love NYC PrintonianStud – amazing cheesecake!

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 4 Day 2:

Dinner: Ratatouille & Baked Ricotta
    Snacks: Lollies
    Calories: 849
    Steps: 34280 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 100g (60.8kg)

Week 4 Day 3:

Lunch: Lentil Soup
    Snacks: Lollies
    Calories: 751
    Carbs: 27g
    Steps: 29375 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: +100g (60.9kg)

Week 4 Day 4:

Breakfast: Lentil Soup & Cashews
    Lunch:
    Snacks: Lollies/Chocolate
    Drinks: 4 tea with milk
    Calories: 885
    Carbs: 53g
    Steps: 36095 (including 6km run & 9km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g (60.7kg)

Week 4 Day 5:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cream & avocado
    Dinner:
    Snacks: Lollies/chocolate
    Calories: 852
    Carbs: 39g
    Steps: 27491 (including 9km walk)
    Weight loss: +100g (60.8kg)

Week 4 Day 6:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cream & rusk
    Dinner:
    Snacks: Chocolate Biscuits
    Calories: 728
    Carbs: 73g
    Steps: 19390 (including 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (60.5kg)

Week 4 Day 7:

Dinner: Lentil Soup
    Snacks: Chocolate
    Calories: 880
    Carbs: 73g
    Steps: 26972 (including 7km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g (60.3kg)
    Total Loss for week: 900g

Not a great week with snacking due to a four day conference which means I live on sugar too much. Managed to get exercise in though so that helps.

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 5 Day 1:

Dinner:
    Snacks: Chocolate/Muffin
    Calories: 886
    Carbs: 78g
    Steps: 22504 (including 7km walk)
    Weight loss: 400g (60.1kg)

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 5 Day 2:

Dinner: Hunter’s Chicken
    Snacks: Muffin/Peanuts/chocolate
    Calories: 1085
    Steps: 27231 (including 3.6km run & 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 200g (59.9kg)

Week 5 Day 3:

Dinner: Hunter’s Chicken
    Snacks: Rusk/Peanuts
    Calories: 1088
    Carbs: 63g
    Steps: 22504 (including 7km walk)
    Weight loss: 100g (59.8kg)

Week 5 Day 4:

Lunch:
    Dinner: Steak & Salad
    Snacks: Chocolate
    Drinks: 4 tea with milk/wine
    Calories: 1075
    Carbs: 32g
    Steps: 30260 (including 7km walk & 7km run)
    Weight loss: 700g (59.1kg)

Week 5 Day 5:

Breakfast:
    Snacks: Rusk/Chocolate
    Calories: 830
    Carbs: 67g
    Steps: 25938 (including 10km walk)
    Weight loss: +500g (59.6kg)

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 5 Day 6:

Breakfast:
    Snacks: Paleo Muffin
    Water: 4 glasses
    Calories: 525
    Steps: 26965 (including 7km walk)
    Weight loss: +500g (60.1kg)
    Fast: 15 hrs

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 5 Day 7:

Breakfast: Cauliflower Soup
    Lunch: Greek Salad
    Snacks: Florentine
    Water: 10 glasses
    Calories: 702
    Steps: 31942 (including 5km run & 7km walk)
    Weight loss: +300g (60.4kg)

Total Loss for week: +100g (60.4kg)

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 6 Day 1:

Snacks: 2 x boiled eggs/Pistachios
    Calories: 680
    Carbs: 36g
    Steps: 23779 (including 7km walk)
    Weight loss: 300g (60.1kg)

• posted by Caro
    on

Hi JMG.
    You are still doing well. Very committed. I have lost 3.5kg so far coming up to the end of week 5. Happy with that considering no exercise. Haven’t counted calories or carbs for a week – husband was home again. I think the lessons learned are portion sizes matter and I don’t need as much food on my plate as I thought I did. And processed carbs were really setting me back. I make sure my plate is dominated by vegetables now.
    Caro

• posted by JMG
    on

Hey Caro,

Nice to hear from you! 3.5kg is great! Well done. I am surprised at how little I eat now and feel very satisfied. When I was surviving on processed carbs and sugar, I was constantly hungry and dissatisfied.

I seem to have hit a plateau so I am going to look at my carbs and make sure that I am not eating too many.

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 6 Day 2:

Lunch: Camembert Cheese
    Snacks: Paleo muffin
    Calories: 565
    Carbs: 26g
    Steps: 30525 (including 4.km run and 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 900g (59.2 kg)

• posted by JMG
    on

I’m back after a crazy month in our house. We moved house, had school holidays, are renovating as well and had no internet access. Now things are beginning to look normal again so I have been able to get back into routine. I am going to start another 8 weeks taking me to Christmas. My goal is 55kg:

Week 1 Day 1 (Monday):
    Breakfast: Yoghurt, raspberries and a little honey
    Dinner: Salad with avocado
    Snacks: Paleo muffin
    Calories: 835
    Carbs: 70g
    Steps: 15331
    Weight loss: Starting weight 59.6kg

• posted by JMG
    on

Week 1 Day 2 (Tuesday)
    Breakfast: Yoghurt, raspberries, honey
    Lunch: Salad with salmon
    Dinner: 2 x boiled eggs
    Snacks:
    Calories: 778
    Carbs: 46g
    Steps: 30522 (including 4km run and 6km walk)
    Weight loss: 600g (58.8 kg)

• posted by Corkie
    on

Hi JMG,
    Great to see you back. I enjoyed your diary for the previous run (and your impressive results were very inspiring)!
    Corkie

Please log in or register to post a reply.