HYPOTHYROIDISM

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by muriel66
    on

Hi all,

Im about to start week two…. so far so good. Wondering if anyone else has Hypothyroidism and im interested to see if their weight loss journey has been successful.
    thanks in advance
    Muriel

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Muriel
    I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis but because I cannot tolerate the medication…had several trials…I have had to manage as best I can. I have a feeling this BSD is as good as medicine. I am waiting a few more months to get a full blood picture but the energy and well being is rewarding. I have lost approximately a kg a week and find that good enough to keep me very happy. My body shape is definitely changed.
    Nettle

• posted by JeanR
    on

Hi Muriel
    I have hypothyroidism and I also had an HBA1C reading of 49 and cholesterol of 7.4. I started for about 6 weeks prior to last Christmas doing the 5:2 diet. I lost about 3 kg and my reading for the HBA1C went down to 46 but my cholesterol rose to 7.4 from 7.1 last September. I was still using skimmed milk and low fat products. I had my annual thyroid test at the end of February and it appears that I was taking too much thyroxine. Approx 10 weeks ago I embarked on a regime based on the BSD but was not so restrictive on carbs in that I had occasional Rice, the rest of the principles I followed, including switching to full fat products, (my nurse said that I was crazy switching to full fat) except I am sure that sometimes my evening meal took me over 800 calories as It is extremely difficult to be 100% accurate. My thyroxine level was kept the same and I was retested after 2 months which was to also include a random glucose and cholesterol and liver function tests. I was just over six weeks into the diet. My random glucose was fine, my cholesterol was 5.1 and I have halved my daily level of thyroxine. one of my liver enzymes was up but apparently that is quite common and the doctor said it could just be a fatty liver and I am being retested after 2 months for that and to see if my thyroxine level is ok.
    Now the thing that is interesting to me is that I have always been told that my cholesterol will always be around six because of the hypothyroidism and that the level of thyroxine I have been taking would never decrease! About 2 years ago I stated taking my thyroxine with a full glass of water at least one hour before food or a cup of tea in the morning. I have yearly been taking less thyroxine but the last drop was the biggest. I am looking forward to seeing the nurse in a couple of weeks to have the tests and make sure she knows my cholesterol level! After 8 weeks I had gone from 85kg to 73.4kg. last September I weighed 95kg. I am still continuing the BSD until my weight reaches 65kg which will only just take me into the healthy weight for my height 162cm but I am confident I can achieve this weight and maintain it. I even said to the Doctor that maybe my hypothyroidism would be cured! I am down to taking 75micrograms a day from 200 at my highest and I was diagnosed 24 years ago. So the whole way of eating and cutting carbs is really working. I saw on this site that someone mentioned a Dr Jason Fung and his book the obesity code. I have just purchased this to read having watched a number of his youtube videos and I have also preordered his book on fasting. I would recommend watching his videos as it really gives a good understanding of diet and fasting.
    Be interesting to hear if anyone else has reduced the amount of thyroxine.
    Good luck and keep going, its worth it!

• posted by JeanR
    on

Oh I also have the fast diet book and the BSD book by MM because my husband is a type 2 diabetic and is trying to control by diet. After my results he started yesterday, although he has reduced his sugar levels by 5:2. He had high hba1c readings but refused to take metformin despite the nurse leaving him prescriptions to collect and I had to field her telephone calls!

• posted by muriel66
    on

Thanks everyone for the feedback….
    first week done and dusted…. managed 2.8kg loss…. a win is a win….Im actually very impressed with how im feeling…slight headaches first days… Lets do this !

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’m hypothyroid and am half way through week 3, I’ve lost 11lbs so far. Also feeling fine, no hunger or cravings now and feel settled into my new eating regime :). The only thing I would say is that’s I’ve felt quite cold!!

• posted by Kathy54
    on

I am also hypothyroid and have just started week 11 and have lost 26 lbs and feel great.

• posted by muriel66
    on

Great success stories… keep up the good work everyone… One thing i cant see in the book, but im presuming, the more you have to lose the bigger the loss will be……its crazy but i can really feel the difference already…. feeling good

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Well done just started today and really struggling, have had my thyroid problem since 1991 and currently only on 50mg but struggle with weight as I get older and less active and only 5ft tall and weigh 69kg, so quite over weight. You are all doing great so hopefully I can too. I find I really miss sugar and carbs already and not even half way thru the day. I have been a big sugar eater all my life, it was fine for years until I have cervical spine surgery and I am less active. Any hints to help me keep going would be appreciated as want to enjoy life to the fullest and be healthy. Inspired by you all that’s for sure. Dianne

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Dianne

Well done for getting started. You are seeking hints…what I can tell you is that within a week you will feel like a new woman. Most of the blogs note the same thing, it’s a quick response. Many of us had a bad day or two first week, and I suppose the bigger your carb – sugar habit the rougher the detox is…but good stuff happens and soon so hang in there. I am on week 14 I think, I lose count because it is so easy to just keep going. This morning I had a 5k walk in the sun. My body would not have been up to that 3 short months ago. I have had two trips to the shops in that time to buy smaller clothes, just writing that puts a grin on my face. This week I planned ahead a bit and bought the next size down. I’ll be watching out to see how you feel in a week so let us know. This is a life altering chance, you will be out there and active and your cervical spine will thank you for it.
    N

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Thanks Nettle, needed that as I have been a sugar and carbs freak all my life and never put on weight. Assumed that would always be the case but not so. I really do appreciated your help as first day and really having massive cravings. Gave up smoking over a year ago and that was easy compared to this. I will look forward to fitting back into my size 10 clothes that I just couldn’t throw out. I am in size 14 and have been growing by the day almost. Glad to get all the help I can. Thank you Dianne

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Hi again, I have made it thru the first day. I would not have achieved that had it not been for the help of this site and the people who post. Thank you all for your help. Dianne

• posted by Highbury5
    on

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis too. I have noticed a definite increase in energy levels, half way through week 2. I am happy with weight loss, especially a couple of cm off my waist. I have definitely been feeling the cold a lot more since starting BSD. Not particularly hungry, no cravings either, which is great. All the best with the weight loss muriel66, it can be tough going with hypothyroidism. My weight loss goal was 10-12 kg, and i have lost 4 kg already, so I think that is going to be a realistic goal!

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Well second day and don’t seem to have the sugar and carbohydrates cravings as bad as yesterday so really pleased. Also noted that stomach is more settled with no heartburn. So looking forward to changing my really bad eating habits for good.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Mermaid2
    Two days and already noticing the differences, it happens day after day after…it’s a neat journey to be on. Because the results are rapid and the plan relatively easy to do, it is the motivation to see what next. If someone told you a week ago you’d be conquering cravings what would you have thought?

There is a blog section on here that lets us note the changes, one of the biggies is NO MORE REFLUX. Add in sleeping better, no hunger, no cravings, more energy, food tasting great and so on, the wonder of it all. I am not evangelical but starting to sound like it. My mates are noticing the big change in me, shape wise and well being so I reckon I should be on commission for MM’s local book sales.
    N

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Hi Nettle, yes agree that no reflux is great and on third day and making progress with the cravings. Have got sugar free and low carb desserts and biscuits, will experiment and see how and if that helps. Thank you for all the encouragement. Dianne

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Dianne

You have many great feelings to come as you progress. After the first week you will progress rapidly, even if you have a few less than optimum days, you have the tools to deal to those now.

Today I had moments of smiles, a smile when I felt lighter, put on a smaller size garment, took a waist measurement which had gullumped down again in the past few days, a smile of disbelief that I have been on the 8 week diet way past 8 weeks and still cruising. A big smile when an old friend said they’d have to start calling me skinny soon, a smile, when I left food on my dinner plate.
    ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
    This is what I want for you too.
    N

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Hi Nettle, thanks for the encouragement and feeling better each day. Glad to hear how well you are doing, hope I can do as well. I think it really is a complete life style eating change. Looking forward to just being healthy and fit. Life is too good not to make the most of it, which you are doing by improving your health. Dianne

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Hi, Dianne here and have lost 2.2 kilos and feeling great no bloating and no reflux and just really pleased. Thanks to you Nettle for the encouragement it really helped. Please you have made such a difference to your life. I will continue with the healthy eating plan as the 8 week diet is really a life style change. Thanks again😀😀😀

• posted by Modom3232
    on

Hi. I’ve had Hypothyroidism for about 12 yrs. Recent labwork showed sugar & raised HDL; then I had A1C & tested my own fasting BG at home, both were diabetic. Both of my sons are Type1, so there’s no way I’m going to be Type2 without a fight! So I started the BSD, & I’m on week 3 (with 1 week before where I was reading the book & kind of started… lol). I’ve lost 13 lbs & am down 1 size. I can’t help but feel those without Hypothyroidism maybe lose more faster, but I’m going to celebrate my success. If I weigh daily, I notice my weight fluxuating up & down a couple of lbs. That’s frustrating, considering I’m eating only 800 cal. a day.

• posted by Emj21
    on

Good morning, I have just read through these comments. So good to see! I started the fast 800 last week and lost 3lbs in 3 days but then went for lunch with some friends and ended up consuming 3000+ calories!! I am back to square 1! I really need to keep on track. I’m 5ft and about 5st away from my recommended healthiest weight. I hope this works! Would love to hear any success stories or motivation tips. Xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Emj21, I dont know if you realise that this post is 5 years old. Join us on the One Week At A Time starting 25th May and you will be on an up to date thread with lots of people there to talk to.

Please log in or register to post a reply.