Hubby and children addicted to carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MeredithC
    on

I am very conscious that I eat lots of bread and sugary foods to the point of craving sweet things often. I’m committed to turn this around but I’d also like to take the family with me. The children eat lots of cereal, bread, and sweet things. And are no longer fond of veggies. Husband eats lots of bread, artificially sweetened cola, and prefers processed meats. Dislikes most veggies other than carrots, potatoes, garlic, onions, and capsicum. And none of us like fish or seafood. I love veggies but how do I take the family with me from a situation like this? Any advice or recipe ideas please.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sometimes you just have to do it for yourself and hope others will follow. If you have the book or the BSD recipe book there are lots of delicious meals. Try something they are familiar with like skinny chilli or coq au vin or a goulash type stew and pad them out with lots of veg. Give them less of the starch, if they are filled up on the hidden, disguised veg they may not want so much stodge. Your husband can be reasoned with but the kids will probably kick off about it. You can only try. How old are the kids, if they are older i.e. teens I would tell them to either eat what you give them or sort their own meals – tough love.

• posted by CJF62
    on

My hubby is exactly the same. He eats so much bread, drinks beer and refused to do this with me. I am just hoping that the changes he sees in me will encourage him to give it a go. I am simply doing this for me. I’m reaching the end of week one and haven’t felt better.
    As sunshine girl says, sometimes you just have to make a stand and do it for yourself.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Meredith, I was in the same position as you, pretty much, when I started. I’m not diabetic but my partner is prediabetic. So I was hoping that he would eventually join me. As I’m the cook, he eats what I eat. Initially he supplemented that with bread and lots of other carby stuff. He still does that, but to a lesser degree. We very rarely have bread in the house these days and I never serve potatoes, rice or pasta now. He eats breakfast cereal and porridge as his additions now. I see that as a success. It’s not so easy with kids, I guess, because their habits are more difficult to turn around, plus their dietary needs aren’t quite the same as those of an adult, in particular as regards vegetables. But if you lead the way, they will eventually follow. You will need to make sure your kids are getting sufficient calories, though, but I guess you know that.

Please log in or register to post a reply.