How to work out the carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Hi, and thanks to all of you who have so kindly replied to earlier messages! I am on day 1!!
    My big question now is how to decide what number to limit my carbs to? I have read on the Forum about keeping them down to under 50, but it seems some of you are below 20 (omg!) How did you decide the number?
    I have today received my blood glucose monitor, and think I need to do a fasting test tomorrow morning? Not sure how to use that info. I am not diabetic, just need to get my weight down.
    Also have the BSD recipe book, that looks great.
    Have eaten well today, and not hungry, but have been really tired?
    HUGE thanks for any advice!
    X

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi there

If you aren’t diabetic you don’t need to measure your blood sugar. I was insulin resistant and I didn’t.

I started by cutting out all obvious carbs (bread, pasta, root veg, rice, sugar, pastry) and reading food labels to see how many carbs per 100g (this figure includes the sugar grams too in the UK).

When weight loss stalked a bit I started weighing things and calculating calories and carbs very carefully. I used MyFitness Pal to work out how much I was having.

When that stalked I went to 20g or less carbs a day and bybthis point it was easy to keep to as I was used to it. This is when weight really came off.

Now I am not insulin resistant and 3 stone lighter, with a healthy BMI. I am also still low carbs but not measuring. My weight is stable.

Broadly, I would say try it and work out what you can manage and if that doesn’t work tighten up until you hit your own personal sweet spot.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Stalled not stalked, I don’t know what my spell checker thinks I get up to!

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Thanks!!!! That is SO helpful. Phew, have a headache from trying to work it all out.
    x

Please log in or register to post a reply.