How to Start – Already at Goal Weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ngmGuy
    on

I have been on Keto for seven months and have seen the weight drop off – 12 kgs and I am now at a healthy 23.1 BMI.
    The problem I have, and why I am looking into the BSD, is that I cannot get my sugars consistently under 8 mmol/L. I am Type 2 diabetic, have been for about 12 years.

When I started Keto I was on metformin and gliclazide. 2 months in I had the usual blood tests – all amazing results! A1C was 5.2, LDL 6, HDL 1.0, Triglycerides high at 8 but way down from 21 a year earlier. Regular home testing showed by bloods consistently between 4.5 and 6.

Given I had had one episode where my sugars went below 4 my doctor took me off Gliclazide. This is when the sugars went high and I just can’t get them below 8 with any consistency. I am still on IF 18:6 and keto at between 18 and 25g of carbs per day, protein around 65g per day and fat at 100-110g per day.

So my question is will the BSD in any of its forms help me at all, or should I just go back on the gliclazide?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    I am sorry, I haven’t had to deal with cutting back on medication myself, so I can’t provide any advice. – There are people on the forum who have reversed T2, who can probably answer your question better.
    There isn’t any formal moderator of the forum, but there are threads that we set up between ourselves that most people hang around on. There is a weekly thread that is started new every Tuesday, and there is also a Roadtrip thread which runs for a number of weeks at a time. A few of us just use the latest posts option on the website but most people tend to just follow one of the regular threads and will only see all posts on that thread rather than new threads started.

– I would suggest posting your question on the weekly thread (just go to the list of recent threads and you will find it. ) and more people will then see your question.

• posted by alliecat
    on

H1 ngmGuy! No one on these forums 1s remotely qual1f1ed to g1ve you med1cal adv1ce. We share anecdotal
    exper1ences and offer support to each other, but the only respons1ble th1ng to do 1s to consult your phys1c1an.
    Very best w1shes,

All1e

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Hi,
    Whilst following Keto, were you monitoring calories?
    Did you track the types of food you were eating when the blood sugar was high compared to when it was low?

• posted by ngmGuy
    on

I was (and still am) tracking everything – individual foods, calorie intake, times of meals, times of exercise sessions. No clear patterns from foods beyond the obvious spike from simple carbs.
    Calories topped out at around 1400 per day, but would average around 1200.
    I do experience Dawn Phenomenon and the ‘bit of protein before bed’-trick to prevent/lessen it doesn’t work.
    Exercise pushes BG up a bit for an hour, then brings it down to about 0.5 below pre-exercise reading. And even though my average fasting and pre-prandial readings are higher than they were, that effect is still noticeable.

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Ok, there doesn’t seem to be anything obvious that’s sticking out.
    The only differences I can see between your current plan and this diet are that the calories are lower and maybe that our fasting period is longer (no sure about other people, but mine is 19-22 hours depending on what I’m doing that day).
    Whether that would have any affect on your glucose I have no idea, but it’s the best I can do to help you make that decision as to whether this diet will help.
    I may recommend considering whether lowering the carbs further or looking into the carnivore diet might help?
    As the others have said I have no idea about medication so can’t advice on that.
    I hope you find something that helps.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi ngmGuy, are you still eating simple carbs or were you referring to BG spikes from before you began keto? Your daily carb intake is so consistently low I’m wondering if the source of carbs is playing a role in your BG figures.

• posted by ngmGuy
    on

Sorry I should have explained – I had a couple of cheat days early on in the keto journey where things like pasta, bread and white rice were consumed, so I was able to see spikes from my usual regimen of testing.

Sources of carbs from today, for example: I have eaten one meal of 617 Kcals which contained 4.6g carbs in total – mushrooms, lettuce and two eggs. This is pretty typical.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

ngmGuy, was that a HbA1c of 4 or was it a daily finger prick. If it was just your routine testing I would suggest your doctor was a bit premature taking you off the Glycazide and should really have reduced the Metformin which is a much milder drug. When I went below 4 my doctor cut the Glycazide from 90mg to 60mg and I have not gone below that even after 3 years on the diet. You might want to speak to your doctor.

Can I also say that 1400 calories is way too high to get any control over your BG and your cheat days could very well put your BG up to a high level. If you want to be drug free then you have to consider this a way of life and not a quick fix. You cannot get your BG down and then start eating high calorie high carbs again. You will just end up where you started. Hope that is not too harsh as I really want to help you with this.

Please log in or register to post a reply.