How to factor in exercise?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RH1968
    on

Hi, just started the BSD and hoping someone could have advice/experience on what to do if you exercise quite a lot. I am 55, about 12 kg overweight and generally feeling a bit sluggish (much of this due to SLE (Lupus)) so hoping the BSD will make a significant difference for me. Only been on it for a week but already lost nearly 2 kg and feel much sharper, so pretty good! The thing is I cycle, mainly commuting, an average of about 50 km per day on weekdays, which burns between 600 and 800 cal each day. Presumably it’s undesirable to be at absolute net zero cal in/calories out, so how should I compensate, same recipes but adding the extra calories to remain at a net 800 ingested for the day? Any advice very gratefully received, thank you.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi RH1968, welcome to the site. Well done on a good start. We have had many questions about exercise but I have to assume you are not diabetic (I have no knowledge of Lupus). The short answer to your question is you don’t compensate. In fact exercise does very little in terms of losing weight. The old method of calories in calories out no longer has any credence and it just doesn’t work like that. Exercise is for muscle strength, heart health, lung capacity etc but is not really involved in fat burning. What will burn fat is restricting calories to a level where your body has to turn to its fat stores for energy. Every extra calorie you put in (your compensation theory) means your body always has carbs to turn to and you will not burn fat.

This diet is so strict it is not recommended you do any exercise and that you give yourself a break. However, you are using the cycling as your commute so not possible but also your body is used to it to the extent that if you stopped, even on vl calories you would struggle to lose weight.

I wish I could remember whose video tells you all about the calories in calories out but I watch so many I cant remember. Go on Youtube and look up Dr Bikman, Dr Jason Fung and Gary Taupe – or maybe someone will jump in here and point you in the right direction.

Obviously if you are collapsing in a heap due to hunger and exhaustion then you should add a few more calories but we are talking about maybe 100 or 200 and always good calories, some yoghurt, a boiled egg, some chicken breast etc.

Hope that helps although I know it is never what exercisers want to hear.

• posted by RH1968
    on

Thank you for that very full reply.. That is interesting and accords with my experience of lots of cycling not really helping to lose weight. As you say, I can’t quit the exercise (nor would I want to as it’s very good for both my mental health and my bank balance, given London train fares!) but I shall take it easier than usual whilst on the diet and as you suggest carry an emergency top up for use if necessary. Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

on

Here is a good video
    The Fasting Doctor: “Fasting Cures Obesity!”, This Controversial New Drug Melts Fat! – on YouTube interview with the CEO. It is not all about fasting but includes a lot of myths about dieting and exercise.

• posted by RH1968
    on

Thank you!

on

If you dont want to watch it all – It is quite long. Jump to 36 mins when he starts to be specific about exercise.

• posted by RH1968
    on

Thank you, I’ll check it out. Best wishes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.