How much sucess have you had while on insulin?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Well after losing little weight during the last 3 weeks and sticking to the plan to the letter [ approx. 2.4 kg loss], today I have semi fallen off the wagon, partly due to a talk I had with someone at work last night I think, which centred on is it because I take 80 units of insulin at night & 10 in the morning that I can’t lose weight? [am t2] I also take 2 metformin with something in them, it starts with a G and has XR at the end [ sorry no where near the box] So wondering how much insulin are others taking and has it stopped them losing weight I was wondering? Am drawing a line through today , I have still made a few good choices while grazing away like a rabbit & only 1 really bad one – a Kitkat….After I ate it I thought why did I have it did not enjoy it at all – what a waste , so any thoughts will be appreciated! Thanks everyone ……

• posted by Lara
    on

HI Llandudno,

I’m a T2D for over 16 years, on insulin for most of that time. I’m in week 5 at the moment and have had amazing results so far.

When I started BSD I was taking 180-190 units of insulin a day and still wasn’t maintaining good BS control. I’m now taking around 6 (that’s not a typo) units a day (mainly overnight) and have dropped most meal time doses as no longer required. I’ve also been able to halve my metformin dose and my blood pressure meds. After 4 weeks I’ve lost 7.2kg, which is 8.3% of my starting weight.

The key for me has been keeping strictly to the program. I’m keeping my calories in the 800-900 range, and carbs below 50 (aiming for around 30g as this seems to be what my body can tolerate). I’ve cut out all bread / rice / pasta and processed junk since day 1. I’ve started taking a short walk after my lunch meal and a longer walk after dinner if I can as thsi helps my BS readings. I also drink loads of water.

Don’t listen to the naysayers, listen to your body. Lots of people have slips, but it’s what you do consistently that will bring the results. As you progress with the BSD, I’m sure you will see results in your BS readings.

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss so far!

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Thanks Lara ,that’s really interesting you have had a brilliant result so far I must say! That’s made me determined to start off again tomorrow , I have been finding it hard to drink more water I will just have to try harder, my blood sugars been coming down too , am presuming you went to your Drs about the insulin I have an appointment next week which I will go to armed with my book with my readings in them , they are definatly better than they were its just a shame the weights not shifting as well, though I have lost 9 cm off my waist believe it or not!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi, the short answer to your question is yes, it will slow down your weight loss. That does not mean you should stop taking it. I was nowhere near Lara’s amount, I was on 40 units at night with 3 x 30mg Glycazides in the morning to top up the insulins effect. You should find as you lose weight (which you will but maybe not at the rate of some) you will also see your BG results lowering, as they lower take out a couple of units of insulin, then let your body settle for 3 or 4 days. Assuming you are sticking to the plan you should see your BG reduce even further and again reduce the insulin by a couple of units. Slowly slowly does it. I would be interested to know what your BG is running at and if it has come down at all. Obviously talking to your doctor is the right thing to do but be aware not all doctors like us doing this diet and may try to disuade you. Keep on track and tell your doctor you will keep them informed as things improve for you.

Forgot to add I am now on 26 units. My BG at start of diet was 190 and by day 5 had dropped to 135 so that is when I started to reduce the insulin. Glycazides are known to cause hypos so I have stopped taking 1, so still take 2 x 30mg, but you don’t say you are on Glycs.

• posted by Lara
    on

HI Llandudno – yes, you need to work with your doctors. I’ve been on insulin a long time now so I have experience in adjusting the doses required and my doctor is comfortable with that. I’m lucky to have a really supportive doctor who is encouraging me along the way as I give her updates. The main message I wanted to send is that you CAN loose weight while on insulin 🙂

There’s a lot of discussion on the forums about weight loss plateaus. The thing to remember is that weight loss is not linear, even on this program. You will go down, plateau, sometimes even go up, but the general consensus is that if you stick to the program consistently, you will loose the weight 🙂 Try not to compare yourself to others – all our bodies have unique quirks – so your weight loss pattern probably won’t look exactly like anyone else’s. Just keep going!

Please log in or register to post a reply.