How much fat.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by grannysharon
    on

Hi all I am on day 5 and doing ok, just a little confused about how much fat I should be aiming for. I have been under 50 grams of carbohydrates every day and between 800 to 950 calls.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I tended to run at about 35g fat, which was about 40% of my daily calories. I was on quite high protein, over 80g a day though as getting fitter was also a big part of the plan. The best thing to do in my experience is to Google Martin Ankerl’s keto calculator and put in your stats, then choose a carb level and protein level and pick whatever fat amount brings it up to 800 calories. I did this every month or so as my body composition changed, and still check out options on it now I am exploring maintenance.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi grannysharon
    The ideal amount of protein to consume is approximately 1 – 1.5g of protein for each kg of ideal body weight. So for example, if your ideal body weight (not where YOU want to be) is 60kg, then you would be looking at approximately 60 – 90g per day. Add that to 50g or less of carbs and calculate both those at 4 cals per gram then deduct the total from 800 cals then you’re left with how much fat to consume.
    Fat is calculated at 9 cals per gram.
    My ideal weight is 60kg so I aim to eat 75g of protein per day (x 4 is 300 cals) + 50g per day of carbs ( x 4 is 200 cals).
    So 300 + 200 is 500 cals. Subtract from 800 cals and total fat is 300 cals. Divide by 9 = 33.3g of fat per day.

If you eat more of one, then compensate by eating less of one of the others. It doesn’t have to be exact, but you get the picture.

Excess protein that your body can’t use as amino acids is converted to glucose through a process called gluconeogenisis, so eating too much protein can give the same effect as eating carbs (of which 100% converts to glucose).

When I find my weight stalling, I cut back my protein and carbs and increase my fats still staying inside the 800 cals.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t sit down every day and calculate all this out, I just keep an eye on it by looking at the grams consumed on my calorie counting app.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by sue126
    on

Thanks Linda, that’s really helpful.
    A few weeks in you can get a bit complacent so its a good idea to step back and have a look at what you’re consuming. I’ve had my first week with a stall but I know why – the old adage fail to plan, plan to fail!! This week I’m going to pay a lot more attention to planning my menu and not allowing myself to follow my urge to overeat because I’m hungry and unorganised.
    Sue

• posted by grannysharon
    on

Thank you for all the good advice its much appreciated. I have stuck to the low crabs but struggling to get my head around the eating fat bit! Mixnmatch I will have a look at that web site and Linda I will get my husband to work all that out for me.
    Many thanks Sharon

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

>>>>>posted by LindaA
    on 11 Feb 2017 at 02:33
    Hi grannysharon
    The ideal amount of protein to consume is approximately 1 – 1.5g of protein for each kg of ideal body weight. So for example, if your ideal body weight (not where YOU want to be) is 60kg, then you would be looking at approximately 60 – 90g per day. Add that to 50g or less of carbs and calculate both those at 4 cals per gram then deduct the total from 800 cals then you’re left with how much fat to consume.
    Fat is calculated at 9 cals per gram.
    My ideal weight is 60kg so I aim to eat 75g of protein per day (x 4 is 300 cals) + 50g per day of carbs ( x 4 is 200 cals).
    So 300 + 200 is 500 cals. Subtract from 800 cals and total fat is 300 cals. Divide by 9 = 33.3g of fat per day.
    If you eat more of one, then compensate by eating less of one of the others. It doesn’t have to be exact, but you get the picture.
    Excess protein that your body can’t use as amino acids is converted to glucose through a process called gluconeogenisis, so eating too much protein can give the same effect as eating carbs (of which 100% converts to glucose).
    When I find my weight stalling, I cut back my protein and carbs and increase my fats still staying inside the 800 cals.
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t sit down every day and calculate all this out, I just keep an eye on it by looking at the grams consumed on my calorie counting app.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Linda<<<<<<<

Linda – hope you are reading this. I am having difficulty in getting my head round these numbers. I weigh 79kgs (BMI 23.6) so as it see it that equates to:
    79 – 118g of protein = 316-472 calories
    I am having, on average, 36g of carbs a day = 144 calories
    So, total of protein (taking the lower figure) and carbs gives 460 calories or, taking the higher protein figure, 616 calories, leaving 340 calories for fat at the lower figure or 184 at the higher. At 9 calories per gram of fat that equates to 38g or 20g. Totalling the three figures gives totals of 174 g to 153 g total intake excluding anything that doesn’t contain carbs, fat or protein. Isn’t that awfully low?
    Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood something.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.