How do I begin?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

I have been procrastinating starting properly despite having most of the BSD books & recipe books…
    I am wanting to do myself a good service and really, being honest, trying to ease my way into this is not really going to work! I am in denial.
    So, i am trying to recall how I got on years ago…
    Think i had a calorie app to log everything i ate? Which is the preferred one?
    Its 3 meals a day ( am not fasting yet) with little or no snacking?
    Eat up to 800 cals day that includes everything passing my lips!
    Drink plenty of water

Have i got the basics?
    Thanks

• posted by Verano
    on

1960 my favourite app is FatSecret. Lots of people use MyFitnessPal and there are many others.
    A really basic app, Freshwell, explains low carb very well.
    Dietdoctor app/website has brilliant graphics showing carbs in various categories of food/drink.
    Try to concentrate on the carbs first… no bread, potatoes, pasta or rice. As I’ve suggested to CalorieSauron, even if you have 100O or even 1200 calories a day it won’t really harm if you keep your carbs less than 50g and of course drink water!
    I’ve just noticed that you’re T2 and on maximum metformin plus. I was also on the same dose of metformin in July 2016 and was told I’d need a second drug soon. I discovered BSD and started to eat low carb. My blood sugar dropped into the normal range very quickly. I was guided by my doctor when it came to medication and after 6 months my dose was halved and then six months further on it stopped completely. I now have ‘normal’ blood sugars and have been drug free for 6 years!
    You can do it too!
    From my limited experience on these boards it seems that carbs rather than weight, per se, are the key to keeping blood sugars in check.
    Sorry if I’m preaching!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanks for the tips! I am so inspired by your achievement to get off these horrid meds! Well done you! I don’t receive your encouragement as preaching but as experience and how welcome that is to my ears!
    I know I used to do low carb and was successful, but then got off track and its a lil harder getting back on there but I will!

• posted by Verano
    on

1960 my first real achievement was in 2017 and since then I’ve been on and off track so many times! I finger prick every few days/weeks so I know roughly where my finger prick results should be to keep my HbA1c within the ‘normal’ range.
    But as you say every time you go off track it becomes harder and harder to get back on track. But, low carb is the only way, certainly for me, to stay in the ‘normal’ range and because I want to keep my toes I keep going back time and time again!!!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

I hear you V! I have been reading the Freshwell site, downloaded the app and it is so simple & interesting, thanks for the mention of it.
    I have got to look after me! My eyes are suffering and I do have pins / needles here n there which is probably neuropathy so it is not funny…

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi 1960 I use the fatsecret app on my phone to work out carbs on eating days.

Controlling insulin levels is more important than calories, you are going to need to work with your doctor to agree a program for reducing drugs as your blood sugar reduce.

If you need to you can always do what is known as a fat fast to help you get started. The reason this works is the bad gut bacteria which feed off carbs are the fastest to multiply when you step off the wagon and the fastest to die off when you stop feeding them. Unfortunately they are able to signal to your brain that they want feeding. So if you find it a real struggle to control carb intake you can starve them into lower numbers by responding to their urges to feed them by eating high fat no carb. Eat as much as you like of foods like bacon, eggs, avocado, olives and after a little while your appetite will reduce. After a few days the numbers of bad bacteria will have reduced enough so you can ignore them and your body will be used to using fat for fuel. Then you can stay low carb but cut down on the calories so your body uses fat stores instead.

There is some debate on how many carbs to allow yourself. some talk of 50 g, and certainly this will help and is a good start point. However, I found (with the aid of a cheap breathalyser which is an easy way to test for burning ketones for fuel) that Insulin Resistance meant I had to stay under 25g of carbs to stay in ketosis even when being active, if I went over 27g of carbs I would come out of ketosis and it would take me a few days to get back into ketosis – Reduced calories while insulin is high will work for a few weeks but after that you risk putting your body into starvation mode. The point where because your insulin levels are too high to allow your body to use your fat for fuel your body feels it has to reduce your metabolic rate to match the reduction in calories. I believe this is the reason that Dr MM recommends following the fast 800 for only 8 weeks.

• posted by Verano
    on

1960 yes only you can look after your body and health! I see you are also coeliac but ‘diet controlled’. So, if you have the strength of character to control one disease with diet then you can control T2 as well. Just need to cut out all of those gluten free carbs!!

JGwen very interesting point about carbs feeding bad gut bacteria. I guess that’s why I put on three or four pounds when I eat bread and the occasional dessert on holiday but lose it within a week of low carbing again. Fortunately I love olives and avocados etc,

• posted by Verano
    on

P.S. 1960, JGwen is absolutely right about carb levels. This isn’t really a ‘one size fits all’ eating plan. You will gradually work out what works best for you carb wise. Just try to keep things simple to start and try not to get too bogged down with the minutiae.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Verano,
    Our bodies need to store water to process carbs. Quite a lot of water I think I remember reading its a ratio of 4 molecules to 1 of sugar.

That’s why when we start to cut down on carbs we get a rapid weight loss and why a small meal off plan causes us to pile on a lot of weight. a litre of water weighs 1 kg. Our body is about 55% water, so its only a small percentage increase to add on a kilo of water

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks JGwen that all makes a lot of sense.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Gosh! I missed these very inspiring and informative posts of you both! Great info JGwen and makes perfect sense..
    V am afraid I have a huge lack of control on every level so cannot lie and say I have controlled myself re Coeliac either.
    Today is a new day and I have been intensely watching the videos mentioned by SG (I think) Dr Becky and it all makes sense but now its down to me..

• posted by Verano
    on

1960 we are non of us saints!
    It is difficult at first because it goes against the grain of the ‘brainwashing’ we have all suffered over the years. Fat is not bad, eggs are good, eating small meals six times a day isn’t good etc etc.
    When we start any new regime it takes time to master it. Rome wasn’t built in a day!
    As you say ‘new day’ today!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanks JGwen this info resonates with me and makes perfect sense!
    Verano, I am Coeliac and tbh, have def not been controlled over time at all…much to my own peril…and this makes sense too along with feeling encouraged…P.S. 1960, JGwen is absolutely right about carb levels. This isn’t really a ‘one size fits all’ eating plan. You will gradually work out what works best for you carb wise. Just try to keep things simple to start and try not to get too bogged down with the minutiae.

Well, My NEW day starts yet agin tomorrow….today was eldest sons 41st birthday and without boring you all to death, we had to make an effort and take him out for breakfast, which, I could def have eaten better but chose the added toast ands hash browns…Tonight, dinner was great tho, a home made stew with a lot of green veg!

• posted by Verano
    on

1960 …. New Dawn, new day, new start …. I’m saying this as much for my own benefit as for yours! Let’s make today better than yesterday!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Well halleluiah! Day 1 done and dusted and if I say so myself rather proud of me , I am! lol
    I was generally focused on what the day ahead had in store for me so basically, I kepy myself busy but focused.
    Breakfast was 100g Greek yoghurt and 100g home made rhubarb compote
    Lunch I had a salad with 1 mini square cheese and a slice of Wiltshire thin ham
    Dinner was meant to be a MM meal but ended up having a dry fried egg with 3 slices of bacon..
    Throughout the day, I changed my drinks to more Mint leaf tea no milk BUT am aware need more water
    At the end of the day I looked over the day and realise I had mindlessly licked a couple teaspoons home made jam ( was making it ) and had a treacle toffee or 2 but NOTHING like I have been eating…

Please log in or register to post a reply.