Homemade granola

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hi all!
    I have been making michaels granola recipe from his clever guts diet, but is this a massive no no?

I’m so confused about oats!

Many thanks!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Oats are okay as long as they still have all the good bits in (steel cut, or rolled?) but are on the high side carb wise, so keep portions small. If you are one of the people who has to cut carbs to keto (20g) levels then it is likely the granola will have to temporarily go or you won’t have sufficient carbs to allow for nutritious above ground vegetables.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hmmm I think I just bought whatever oats were there so I highly doubt they’re steel cut.

Iv also been making cauliflower and oat pizza bases and loaves but am now worried that Iv been sabotaging myself thinking I’d been clever.

I lost a stone and a half a year ago but have put it all back on as I am a self saboteur.
    I just cannot seem to do it again properly as I was SO HUNGRY and obsessed with food that I’m scared to do it again and keep messing it up.

Send help!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

if it is just oats with nothing in it like ready flavoured oats mixes then it should be okay but only in I think 20g portions and not too often. Even if it is a brand like Scotts or Quaker. I just buy large bags of unbranded from Sainsburys. I used to love my porridge but with golden syrup so it is a total no no for me but my husband has started having it daily but he is not on this diet.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Forkers, the oats are a much better carb but still relatively high if on BSD….looks like it might be better for maintenance or for the rare special breakfast.

You might want to try this low carb granola, its off the US diabetes web site A SWEET LIFE (https://asweetlife.org/recipes/). Its higher in calories, but for me, I am now also limiting my eating to an 8 hr window from 10 am to 8 pm so I only do 2 meals a day….and this would work nicely with some amond milk to keep you full, provide not of good nutrients and keep you satisfied until dinner.

Pumpkin Spice Granola
    Ingredients

1 1/3 cups mixed raw nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
    2/3 cup mixed raw seeds (sunflower seeds and shelled pumpkin seeds)
    2/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
    2/3 cup almond flour
    Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup melted butter
    Instructions

Preheat the oven to 300F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In the bowl of a food processor, combine the nuts, seeds, and flaked coconut. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely ground with some bigger pieces still remaining.
    Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the almond flour, sweetener, pumpkin pie spices and salt. Add the pumpkin puree and melted butter and mix until well combined.
    Spread mixture evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden. Turn of the oven and let the granola sit inside for another 10 to 20 minutes, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn.
    Remove and let cool.
    Yield: 8

Cholesterol: 15mg

Food energy: 315 kcal

Total fat: 28.79g

Calories from fat: 259

Carbohydrate: 9.09g

Protein per serving: 7.57g

Total dietary fiber: 4.82g

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Forkers, here us also a pizza crust that is easy and very nice and is very low carb. Hemp seeds are my new favorite ingredient. So good for you, zero carbs, and are great fillers for meatballs or meat stuffed veg (stuffed peppers or stuffed zucchini). You can order a bag on line if you can’t find it in a health store.

Hope it helps. LTC

https://www.lowcarb-ology.com/low-carb-pizza-crust/

Chewy Low Carb Pizza Crust

Prep Time 5 mins
    Cook Time 15 mins

If you’ve missed real, chewy, bready pizza crust you are in luck! This crust has the chewiness of a “real” pizza crust but only has 2 net carbs!

Servings: 6
    Calories: 268 kcal
    Author: Marye
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese , I used Kraft shelf stable Parmesan but fresh would probably work, too
    3/4 cup hemp seeds
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder , or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    3 eggs , beaten
    US Customary – Metric
    Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 350F.
    Add silpat or parchment paper to a baking sheet.
    Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
    Let sit for about 5 minutes.
    Using a 1/4 cup measure make 6 mounds of cheese mixture on the baking sheet.
    Pat down to about 1/4 inch thickness.
    Bake for 20 minutes.
    Let cool before removing from pans.
    Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months for longer storage.
    Recipe Notes

To make pizza just add your ingredients to the top of the crust. Place on a heavy metal baking sheet (no silpat or parchment) and bake at 425 for 5 minutes or until the cheese bubbles and melts. Be sure to let it cool for a few minutes before you try to eat it. Those roof of the mouth blisters are killer!

Nutrition Facts
    Chewy Low Carb Pizza Crust
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 268 Calories from Fat 180
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 20g 31%
    Saturated Fat 5g 25%
    Cholesterol 105mg 35%
    Sodium 232mg 10%
    Potassium 85mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrates 2g 1%
    Protein 18g 36%
    Vitamin A 9%
    Calcium 22.1%
    Iron 22.1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Thankyou so much for these replies! Xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.