Holiday in Italy diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Hi all, I am Italian living in UK. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 years ago, albeit border line my Hbac1 was 54 so I reacted and adjusted my diet and increased my exercise. Within two months it was down to 46. Unfortunately I then became complacent and returned to eating a carb rich diet, pasta, pizza brioche for breakfast. At the next check up it was up to 52 and then 3 months later it was 58. At this point I reverted to Michael’s blood sugar diet. I am in my 5th week and I have lost 7.8kg (about 17 lbs). When I check my fasting blood sugar it is around 5.5 which looks pretty normal to me, so I think it’s going well. I have to be honest I desperately miss my Italian food (carbs) . In 3 weeks I will be going to my annual holiday to Sardinia where I will not be in charge of cooking and will be exposed and tempted by food for about 3 weeks. Does anyone agree that I could allow myself the odd plate of pasta or a pizza during my holiday? My wife is not diabetic but she is supporting me through the diet and she has lost 6kg. My weight loss has slowed down dramatically which I suppose is normal but I will continue for the 8 week plan and expect to have lost a further 2kg by the time I go. Any suggestions ?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya Andy.

Well done on your blood sugars!

I have been eating this way for almost 2 years. I don’t post as often now, but used to be a regular poster, I just felt I had to answer you. You know if you go back to eating the old way you will have the same results. That said. HELL, you will be on holiday. If you want a slice of pizza or some gorgeous Italian pasta then have it. BUT…eat mindfully and don’t overdo the portions. Just because you are having carbs, don’t think it wont have an effect. So moderate what you have. Say….once a day carb heavy meal? When I went on holiday I gained 7 pounds….which I lost within 2 weeks by returning to my usual food. So my advice would be enjoy but beware. Eat more salad than pasta.

I will probably get in trouble now for giving this advice, but, life isn’t worth living if you are miserable all the time. (I don’t eat simple carbs for months then have some spag bol I am still here!)

Good luck and enjoy your holiday. I would love to visit Sardinia. (Back to the broom cupboard with me!)

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Andycol52 – I think at this point, I’d be very cautious about allowing pasta and pizza back in, especially given the result of your previous such event as stated in your second sentence and the fact there are solid health reasons for your following the BSD in the first place. On top of which, given your weight lose has slowed, makes it perhaps more important to try to stick as closely to the BSD principles as possible.

It is important to take on board the fact that the BSD is not a magic wand that will fix things and then we can revert to the way we used to eat. After all, it was our old pattern of eating, which brought all of us to a state where we needed the BSD in the first place.

Of course allow yourself a little latitude and give yourself scope to enjoy your holiday, but try to stick with BSD principles as closely as you can. Allow yourself a few more calories but not too many extra carbs. That way, hopefully you won’t impact greatly on your BG too much and not gain too much of the weight back either.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit gloomy, but do your best to stick with it if you can, whilst still enjoying your break.

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Ciao Nonna Maria

Thanks for your response. Of course I knew the right answer but I was just looking for some justification to eat some food that I miss so much. I was going to allow myself 1 plate of pasta per week and perhaps 1 pizza in the 3 weeks I’m there. My children can eat the food for me ๐Ÿ˜€ My daughter Maia who is 10 is a carb freak and lives on Pizza and Pasta my boys Luciano 7 and Alessandro 11 are real carnivores. I will sit next to my daughter and admire her plate ๐Ÿ˜‚

Grazie carissima

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Hi Sunny

Of course you are right, I was merely looking for some justification for deviating from the 800 calorie low carb diet. I don’t think the hotel will follow the recipes from the book. How do people who live in Italy manage?

Thanks for your reply

Andy x

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Andycol52 Just think of the other lovely options – go mad on the antipasti. What about melanzane alla parmigiana, mixed grilled courgettes, peppers, etc, fantastic fish, a good steak, Who needs the pizza and pasta?? Have a great holiday!

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Hi Carol

I’ve been eating that for weeks and of course you’re right, just haven’t had a pasta alle vongole for ages and a breakfast brioche is sorely missed ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m sure I’ll be VERY sensible.

Andy x

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Sunny

I should say that I have not veered from the plan, but my weight loss had slowed down to around 0.1kg every other day and on some days my weight has risen by 0.3kg for no apparent reason. I don’t really know how the weight should reduce and perhaps this is normal. I row 2 miles per day and do 60 x30kg abdominal crunches per day, so I’m not resting on my laurels ๐Ÿ˜

Andy x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Andy – yes it’s normal for weight loss to fluctuate including small gains along the way too, even when you are sticking to the same regime. Weight loss is not linear, but looking at the big picture, the general trend should be downward. I personally found when my weight loss stalled or plateaued, that dropping my carb intake a little more started things moving in the right direction again. Do you calculate and record your carb intake as well as calorie intake? If not, it might be worth considering, to get things moving a little more rapidly again.

• posted by Andycol52
    on

No I don’t log the carbs, we (my wife and I) just follow the 8 week plan recipes as instructed, there are some changes to accommodate personal likes and dislikes but it’s changes are always made to match the calorie count. I will try cutting back the carbs more as you suggest.

• posted by Squidge
    on

If the carb food rich food is REALLY special and something you absolutely love, then I’d have some. But only the really good stuff โ€“ and try to eat lots of lovely things which aren’t high in carbs. Challenge yourself to find really good BSD friendly food โ€“ I’m sure there must be lots.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Andycol52 – really good advice here. Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Nonna Mary – lovely to see you on the forum. Have really missed your posts.

Please log in or register to post a reply.