Higher calories needed than BSD? And muscle mass loss rather than fat?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mhubert
    on

I have a couple of questions, before I start BSD.

I had a DEXA scan today, & 2 interesting findings
    1) my muscle mass has decreased since I had this done a year ago, despite me doing functional exercises using lights weights over the last 6 months. I normally eat close to a mediterranean diet, avoid sugar, generally avoid meat too. My weight has stayed within a kilo over the last year
    2) The physiologist said he thinks that’s I’m probably not eating enough calories now and that’s why I’ve lost the muscle mass – my guess is that I’m around 1900 calories/day.

So what should I do about BSD? The result of the scan gave my adipose level at 126, he said it needs to be lower than 100, & ideally less than 60.

If I do the BSD then will my muscle mass loss get worse?

Thanks

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I found my weight loss was greater when eating 1000 calories a day than when eating 800. just a data point.

I have increased resistance and weight training to ensure muscle mass is maintained.

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s interesting JulesM on losing more on slightly higher calories

Mhubert – are you following BSD to lose weight, or to improve your blood sugars?
    Not that I know how to help either way – and having googled Dexa scan, I see its an xray, so presumably not soemthing you’d want to do too frequently. I know that they will be less reliable, but is it worth experimenting with different calorie levels, keeping the carbs low, and investing in scales that do body mass analysis?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Did you discuss starting the BSD or any other diet with your physiologist? What did they say?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

As I said on anther forum, I’m a bit keen on my data and, for me, there seems to be a correlation between increasing my calorie levels and breaking plateaus. There also seems o be a link to days when I’ve done significantly more exercise, but it is not as clear. It may simply be my body relaxing, saying “there is more food available so shed the water”. But as I say, it is a correlation only, it seems to work for me but I would not recommend it to anyone, as I think it depends on how your body reacts. I’m sure the 800 level is based on far better evidence than I have.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You shouldn’t be burning up lean muscle unless you aren’t eating a high enough quantity of fat as I understand it. If you are exercising more than you were when you were last measured muscles should not be ‘wasting’ either. Check the fat part of your 800 calories macros, possibly check on the Keto calculator if you are in the zone where you may have to increase calories or percentage of fat to prevent lean mass being used as fuel.

Please log in or register to post a reply.