Hi everyone. Help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TessaH
    on

Can’t tell you how relieved I was to find Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar Diet book and this website. Unfortunately, I have a history of medical adventures over the last 15 years which, to make a long story short, resulted in me being diagnosed with colitis and ultimately having my colon completely removed, dying (twice) in the process. Subsequent reconstructive surgery to allow me to lose ileostomy. Pneumonia (not relevant to weight gain/diabetes, I know, but thought I’d throw it in for dramatic effect), abnormal smear test results culminating in total hysterectomy , which, in turn, revealed cancer cells so they decided to nuke my lady parts with radiotherapy.
    Last October, I got the 10yr all clear from my oncologist and much to my delight was drummed out, do not darken their doorstep again. 🙂
    I had two months to wallow in my newfound non-monitored, normal person status, then went for a meds review with GP, only to be told that blood tests showed diabetes! Can’t tell you how gutted (literally) I was.
    Family history on both sides, plus very overweight as my digestive/hormones completely up the swany (and I have 4 teenage/early 20’s sons and a builder husband to feed).
    Plan to begin 5:2 (possibly 4:3?) fasting tomorrow, as GP wants to repeat blood tests before referring to diabetic clinic. Would dearly love to reduce blood sugar levels to avoid diabetic medication, as I’ve heard metformin can play havoc with digestive system, which, as you can imagine, with no colon, I _really_ don’t want to experience!
    Would love some contact/advice/encouragement.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi TessaH and welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear about all your health issues but it’s great that you’ve found BSD and this forum. You’ll get lots of good advice and great support from the people on here.

I’ve not done the 5:2 but I’ve been doing the blood sugar diet (800 cals/low carbs) since August. The fantastic thing to know about the BSD diet in relation to reducing blood sugar levels is that it works. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August. My hba1c result on diagnosis was 106 and by sticking to the BSD at the end of November my hba1c result was 35 – back in the normal range. (These are UK figures, not sure what country you’re from, but basically went from high to normal).

Since starting the BSD I’ve lost approx. 3 st 4lbs (20kgs) on top of my pre-BSD weight loss. I didn’t start Metformin in August (although the GP wanted me to have it) and they agreed in November I didn’t need it.

I’m not unusual on here. There are other people who have done the same thing and more! – you can look up their posts e.g. KrysiaD, Verano and sunshine-girl. I’m sure they’ll be along to offer their advice, too. There are posts from previous forum members who did the same (look for Bill 1954, Captain Lynne).

In relation to the weight loss there are some great weight loss achievements, tips, advice and brilliant food suggestions – as I’ve said before I’m going to leave this forum a far better cook than when I came on it!

Any questions just ask and someone will be along to help. x

• posted by JackieM
    on

TessaH, surviving that lot is going to make BSD seem like a walk in the park! What a lot you’ve been through! Actually, this diet is surprisingly non-hunger inducing and lots of people, me included, enjoy it. I’ve lost 19kg and my blood sugars are normal now, (insulin resistant in August) so it’s well worth doing.

Best of luck, keep posting that helps, first few days may feel dodgy but after that it’s fine, normally. My top tip is to keep fibre up with green veg and seeds as I didn’t initially and by week 9 or 10 it really showed (will avoid too much information) but especially with your digestive issues you don’t want to go there! Xx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Tessa, welcome. I’m so pleased you have found us, it’s a great forum with lots of lovely experienced people, and also lots of newbies of course, who are more than happy to help and encourage, listen to rants, sympathise and advise when things not going according to plan, so USE us, shout if you need help.

I can only reiterate what Jackie has said – after everything you have been through, you can well do without diabetes, and this WOE will be a walk in the park, because once your system adapts, you will not be hungry (mouth hungry, occasionally, perhaps in the beginning, but not gut-hungry). You can do this, diabetes can be reversed – particularly in the early stages, the evidence is getting stonger and stronger, and there are lots of people on this forum who can testify to that.

I did BSD purely for weight loss, but lost 3.5st and have maintained that loss for the past 9 months – but you have to be aware that this way of eating has to be for life (not the calorie counting, but the principles) but there is some really scrummy food so it’s not difficult. Good luck, and please keep us up to date with your progress, and jump in and join any other thread you fancy. There is a new 4 week challenge thread just started, which you may find helpful – the keep carbs at bay for valentines day one, which may help, as to lots of people 4 weeks sounds less daunting than 8. You will be very warmly welcomed.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Tessa – I see you have already been given advise by two of our number who can speak directly about the effect of BSD on diabetes, with pointers to of posters who have huge experience in this area. Like Theodora, thankfully diabetes was not what brought me to the BSD way of life, but I’m so grateful for having found it, have lost three stone and can now get into my wedding dress again, 20yrs after the event. I would recommend following the BSD rather than the 5:2, if your aim is to impact on your blood results quickly, but obviously the choice is yours. Which ever way you decide to go, given all you have survived to date, I’m confident you will cope well with the changes.

As everyone else has advised, be sure to make good use of this fantastic resource. Like others here will tell you, I wouldn’t have achieved what I have, without the support and advice of the wonderful people on the forum.

Best wishes to you for achieving your goals and making a positive impact on your health.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Tessa – welcome to the Forum – great advice from Marie123, Jackie M and Theodora. There is so much expertise on this forum – I really couldn’t have succeeded without it. I read the latest posts every day – because it helps keep me on track – even when work is manic, as it is at the moment.

I also still log my food on fat secret – which I would never had heard of without this forum. It was absolutely invaluable when I was in the weight loss stage of the BSD. Because I damaged my pancreas so badly with so much sugar and bad carbs I can never go back to the white carbs. Am now into my second year on maintenance and can truly say that I don’t miss them.

You might find it helpful to take along the summary information for professionals to your next meeting with your doctor – which you can download from Resources on this forum. The link for downloading is halfway down the Information for Professionals section.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Tessa – welcome.
    I’m a newbie to the forum – I started the BSD at the start of this year as I too wan to tackle my diabetes as well as lose weight.
    I am sorry to hear about all your health problems – but the other posts are right – this will be a walk in the park after everything you have been through. I first did the BSD last year – my blood glucose came down and I lost 2.5 stones. But I didn’t keep it up, so now I am embracing it as a new way of life and not just a short fix diet.

Logging everything I eat is really helpful and planning meals in advance means I always have something healthy to eat – it stops me grabbing unhealthy foods.

Best of luck on your journey – I’m finding this forum a great source of support, I hope you do too.

• posted by TessaH
    on

Wow! What a speedy and positive response.
    I’ll certainly be checking out everything everyone has suggested, but just wanted to touch base and say thanks for such a warm welcome. I’ll respond in more depth when I have more time. 🙂

• posted by TessaH
    on

Finally! Found time to respond to your posts.
    I’ve also managed to read Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar Diet book, so am somewhat better informed, although I am still a little confused as to whether your blood sugar goes down because you’ve lost loads of weight, or because you’ve lost loads of weight using specifically a low carb diet?
    I will certainly search out the posters you mention, marie123. I have no idea what my figures were, as GP didn’t go into it at that point, just said that she wanted to repeat the test to confirm before referring me to diabetes clinic. I’m hoping if I can bring those figures down enough I can avoid the referral in the first place. (I am in UK, by the way.)
    I understand, now, having read the book, why a few of you thought the BSD would be preferable to the 5:2 and intend to do BSD now. I’m going to have to adapt it somewhat, though, as, while the reconstructive bowel surgery I’ve had was amazing – possibly even miraculous, it doesn’t work as well as a proper colon. Without getting too graphic, I’ll just say I still need to visit the loo 5/6 times a day, which I know isn’t great, but compered to the horrendous, unpredictable and desperate 20+ dashes I endured while I was ill, it’s given me my life back.
    Because food travels through my system so much more quickly, you can imagine the effect too much veg/salad has on me, and the thought of a plate of lentils/seeds literally brings tears to my eyes. So I’m going to have to adapt the diet suggestions somewhat. I think, if I stick to porridge/egg/fish/meat based recipes and supplement with the odd milkshake/meal replacement it’s doable. Certainly nothing lost by trying, anyway, to my way of thinking.
    I will certainly download the summary Information for Professionals, KrysiaD. I have a lot of experience with healthcare professionals, so am well aware how you can be bulldozed. It will be very useful to go pre-armed with the information, should I need it. (There’s optimism for you! 🙂 )
    Thanks again, everyone, for such a warm welcome. I had pretty much settled to the idea that the weight gain (which I hate) was the price I pay for still being alive, but you all give me hope that maybe it’s not inevitable.
    I will keep you all posted, and I will make use of this wonderful community, now that I’ve found you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.