Hi everyone

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cazz
    on

I started the bsd yesterday I have had diabetes for 6 years and on 2 medications my dr wants to add a third so I am starting this with a diary to show him when I see him in 3 weeks time. My fasting bs yesterday was 7.7 and today is 6.7 which is great. I followed recipes from the book and had roughly 940 cal which is a bit higher than 800. This morning had scrambled eggs made with real butter it was yummy. Had forgotten how good it tasted. Can’t wait to start loosing weight but as I’ve not done good on diets before I’m taking it a day at a time.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello Cazz. I never had really high blood glucose readings, HbA1c, low 7s, with metformin, and a threatened second medication! But, eating low carb has brought that down to low 5’s …… normal, and no medication!
    I don’t do finger prick testing very often because there are so many variables.
    I think the really important thing to remember to reduce blood glucose is …… carbs!
    If you go over a little with calories that doesn’t seem to have the same effect on blood sugar as going over, maybe 50g of carbs, but you may just have to go lower. Refined carbs are just pure sugar!
    Anyway, I had been diagnosed with T2 for about the same time as you but I managed to put myself into remission quite quickly. I think that weight loss is less important, when trying to reduce blood sugars, than refined carbs are.
    Look after the carbs and you really will be looking after you diabetes.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Cazz,
    Welcome to the forum, we tend to arrange ourselves so that there is a regular weekly thread and a regular monthly thread where we post about our aims for the period and report on progress, gain support from each other. – They are very friendly and supporting threads to join with a range of people from newcomers to those who have been following this way of eating (WoE) for a long time and have successfully reached maintenance. If you look at the latest posts option you will easily find the threads.
    One tip I would pass on is to stop thinking about this as a diet, diets are a short term way of eating and you plan to go back to old habits afterwards. – Instead think of this as being a Way of Eating where you learn how your body uses the different types of food, carb, protein and fat and from here on in you plan to give your body the best fuel.
    I have been on the forum, and have been reading about this WoE and the science behind it for nearly two years now. I don’t have diabetes, but have discarded (not lost, I don’t want to find it again 🙂 7 stone so far. I have seen over that time people reaching out for assistance because their doctors are not supportive of the idea of using a change in eating habits to reverse diabetes. – Perhaps it would be wise to gather information on the research / successful programs etc to help you present your case for avoiding extra medication as part of preparing for the meeting with the doctor? Even if your doctor is supportive, learning about the benefits of this diet change will help you stick to it when temptation strikes.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Cazz
    I also have Type II diabetes and have been in remission for 3 years. My tips would be:
    i) as Verano says, watch the carbs. Keep them low.

ii) weigh everything. I got myself a small set of cheap digital scales for the kitchen. (Make sure they have the tare feature so you can weigh multiple things at once). One of the best things I did.

iii) if you aren’t already using one, use an app like fatsecret.co.uk or myfitnesspal (other apps are available – just can’t remember them!) – to track your cals and carbs etc.

iii) if you are using the recipes at the back of the original Blood Sugar Diet book, be a bit careful. The calorie counts can be out – i.e. lower in the book than they really are. Many of us have found that. So, you may need to ignore the calorie count in the book and calculate them using one of the apps. I’ve never really used the other books or recipe book so not sure about them.

iv) again, watch some of the recipes in the back of the above book as some of them can be quite carby – I tested my bgls and certain recipes spiked my blood sugars – even with the smallest portion. Again, it’s just about calculating the carbs. Btw, I found the meals delicious (I’m actually going back to some atm) but a bit ‘faffy’ at times. You can also use your own recipes as long as you track your cals and carbs – it still works for lowering your blood sugars and losing weight..

v) I’m keener on using a home-testing kit than Verano is, as long as it’s systematic. If you are already testing your blood sugars it might be worth testing before and after meals also. There are a few reasons for this. The fasting bgls are often the last to go down. Having a record of these other blood sugar levels will be useful for you to keep track of how you are going, and to show your doctor at the end of the 3 weeks. Testing before (just before your first bite) and 2 hours after a meal will give you a good idea if that meal is ok or has too many carbs for your body to handle. If your number has increased by 2mmol/l or less after eating, that meal is fine, an increase over 2 mmol/l and the meal is too carby for you. Also, on this way of eating your blood sugars start coming down really quickly – mine came down long before I’d lost all the weight I’d needed to – and that’s really motivating.

vi) I’ve never been on meds so can’t comment on taking them and BSD but if you have your appointment in 3 weeks then that’s good.

Apologies if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs – there I go again calling someone granny, oops!. It’s great that you are doing the BSD. It really does work.
    Best wishes
    Jennie xx.

Please log in or register to post a reply.