Help,No weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

I have been on BSD diet for 2 weeks as I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Despite sticking to it rigidly I have not lost one ounce of weight. I am getting really worried as my life really does depend on it. Can anyone advise?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Can you please supply some more information. What does your normal meals / level of carb intake look like? Are you taking any medication?

There is a doctor / clinic who has decades of experience in supporting diabetics to reverse their condition through their eating program. Even for those who do not have diabetes his books are an excellent simple explanation of how controling carb intake works which is a useful tool when deciding what to do after following DrMM’s protocol for the limited number of weeks he recommends. I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Dr Fungs book on diabetes or watching his videos on youtube.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

JGwen. I am less than 20g carbs per meal and no more than 800 calories per day. I am on Merformin

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Jenni49, on this plan 20g per day is the norm, so 20g per meal would be okay if you are sticking to 3 meal max with no snacks. Can you give us an idea of what these carbs are and what you are eating throughout the day. Are you logging on something like Myfitnesspal. I think you would like to get this right so as much info as possible means you can get more help/advice. You sound as though you realise the seriousness of your diagnosis but don’t get too desperate. This diet will help with the BG numbers even if you don’t lose weight. Do you actually have any weight to lose. Lots more info would be good. And don’t worry.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

I am logging my meals on my fitness pal and having only 3 meals a day. I have a lot of weight to lose around 3 stone

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello Jenni. It’s good to see you on the forums. I’m sorry that you haven’t been losing during your first 2 weeks. JGwen has offered some good advice about further reading and YouTube videos. Have you read any of Michael Mosley’s books also? I also like the Diet Doctor website. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes You don’t need to pay to join dietdoctor – you can just browse the recipes. And the visual guides give pointers on which foods to preference – https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

I hope you keep going with BSD Jenni. It will show results soon. Keep posting here 😀
    Merry🌼🌼🌼

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jenni,

We need low insulin levels for our bodies to access our fat stores. Obviously if you are taking external insulin it makes it more difficult for you to control your insulin levels through your diet.

I would suggest having a look at Dr Fung’s work. – He runs a clinic which is focused on reversing diabetes through dietary controls. Dr Fung has published a book specifically for diabetics which would probably be your best source of support. He has published case histories of reversing diabetes through fasting in UK medical publications which are peer reviewed so that should help in discussions with your GP. As you are taking drugs to add insulin into your system you will need to work with your doctor to manage the reduction of drugs as you heal.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

Thanks will have look for the book. It’s all so new to me

• posted by JGwen
    on

I would suggest using a tape measure to check progress as well as the scales. Insulin does not control just if your body is able to access your fat stores it also controls growth hormone which is responsible for repairing the body, building strong bones and muscles.

In the last month I have discarded a little over an inch from my bust and hips and 4 inches from my waist but I have put on a kg.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/a-lying-scale-why-your-weight-doesnt-show-the-entire-picture

• posted by Jenni49
    on

Good idea I will try that as I am in despair about weight staying static

on

Jennie, can you give us some idea of what you are eating. A days menu would be helpful. It does seem strange that you are not losing on 800 calories, not even a couple of pounds. We are not judgemental and would really like to help.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

Examples
    Breakfast couple of boiled eggs or sometimes porridge which is low cal and 19 carbs
    Lunch salad sometimes with some prawns; homemade vegetable soup
    Dinner chicken or fish with either salad or green veg. Plain yogurt or a few nuts or raspberries/ strawberries
    Have cut put potatoes, pasta, rice and of course sugar

on

Sounds as though you are doing all you can. I am sure the weight loss will come but for now concentrate on the good it is doing your BG numbers. Keep going.

on

Dont know if you saw my post on another thread, stuck to the diet, no alcohol (my cheat would be a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend), exercising 4 days a week. Weight loss ZERO so I know exactly how it feels. No one here will patronise you, we have all been there. Take care and keep posting, although I am going away for a couple of weeks.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

It’s comforting to hear that I am not the only one not losing weight

• posted by Patsy
    on

Just a thought – are you including the calories in any drinks eg milk in tea? I ask because I tend to conveniently forget it’s not just actual food which puts on the weight.

• posted by Jenni49
    on

Yes I count everything. It’s all strange why the weight is not moving. I am even walking a bit more despite a dodgy knee but I am a bit slow.

on

Hi Jenni49 just wondering how you are doing. Just watched a video posted by JGwen on the weekly thread and was interested to know that there are some people who are blocked from losing weight when going LCHF (low carb high fat). It is all to do with autophagy and some other scientific reasons and can be boosted by doing phases of fasting or time restricted eating to give the body a boost. You would have to look at the video, it was very interesting. Think my body needs a boost due to long term dieting but there were other reasons.

Please log in or register to post a reply.