Help with Milk!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by madamgg
    on

hi all, this is literally my first day and I don’t know what to do about milk in my tea and coffee. I will cut back to 2 cups a day so won’t use masses of milk but should it be full fat or skimmed, am I aiming for less calories or less carbs? Any advice very welcome! Thanks

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I drink black coffee, and not much milk in tea – but when I started I worked out how much I used a day on average, and just made an allowance of 100ml in my calorie and carb log.
    BSD should be full fat dairy – but I really dislike the taste of full fat milk in tea, so made an attempt, but didn’t bother switching. Not so much now that it’s cold, but as I increased my water intake, I found I was drinking less and less tea in the summer.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

If you like the full fat, I strongly advise to switch to it as it isn’t more carbs and is not many extra calories. It’s worth the few extra it is to keep you feeling fuller. The carbs are the big bug!

• posted by Monad
    on

Hazlenut milk is delicious in coffee – makes it taste like a hazlenut latte.

I also love oat milk although not tried it in tea as I tend to drink green or Roibos tea anyway.

Both also make fab Cocoa!

• posted by Monad
    on

Tried oat milk in Rooibos tea with a little honey – very nice

• posted by shalimar
    on

Since it is a high fat diet i have been using heavy whipping cream in my coffee. I am even going to see if i can get some clotted cream. For tea i used to use a teeny bit of honey or sugar but now drink it plain. I sometimes like a spash of milk in tea … and i would use whole milk or cream.

I like almond milk but only unsweetened or unsweetened vanilla. Diamond Almond Breeze is the only one i like. You can create a mocha flavor with a 1/4 or less teaspoon of instant coffee. I think about 40 calories per cup and 1 carb.

I tried some of the sweetened flavors and yuck!!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Shalimar I don’t think I’d call it a “high fat” diet. It has a reasonable amount of olive oil and full fat dairy, nuts etc but it’s not LCHF.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well in the FAQ in answer to : Is it a low-fat diet the answer is NO.

QUOTE :
    Is this a low-fat diet?

No – because fat isn’t the bad guy that it was once made out to be. It includes plenty of fish, a judicious amount of animal fat from meat, and plenty of plant fat (ie from nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocados), as well as full fat yoghurt (unsugared) and small amounts of hard cheese. There is no clear evidence that full fat dairy products increase diabetes or adversely affect your lipid profile. Though remember they are relatively high in calories, so eat in moderation.

The Mediterranean style low carb diet embraces healthy fats and they help you feel full for longer and slow the process of absorption of carbohydrates. This is an unexpected pleasure to add back into your diet!

END QUOTE

But if you say full-fat dairy …. what is fuller than full fat? The only thing that seems lower/or/medium fat is judious amounts of animal fat. And Mosley is always saying fat helps with satiety/hunger.

I guess you could call it medium fat … but it seems on the high side of medium to me anyway? ???

• posted by Natalie
    on

Yes I’d call it medium fat, I guess I’m comparing it to true high fat diets like those prescribed for people with epilepsy(?i think). Actually I’d call this diet “normal fat”!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Sounds good to me Natalie!! Normal … yup i can go with that.

Please log in or register to post a reply.