Help!! Smelly wee!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Sorry this isn’t a nice topic!! I’ve been on BSD for 6 weeks today – absolutely love it, lost 2 stone and 6 inches and BMI reducing massively I honestly can’t imagine ever going back to carbs – apart from the odd glass of wine. However I’ve been experiencing the most awful smelly wee – I mean it really stinks – to the extent I rang dr’s today and made appointment to check for a UTI. Then as I came to bed it occurred to me maybe it had something to do with ketones as I don’t have any other symptoms of UTI. I googled it and apparently it can be a symptom of ketosis 😒. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this? Does anyone know if it is caused by ketosis is it dangerous (I only have one kidney and it needs looking after). Do I have to increase carbs to get rid of it? It’s only happened for 3 days and I must have spent most of 6 weeks in ketosis so it’s a bit odd. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Sounds sensible to get it checked out by the GP. Does it get any better with more fluid? I know that my wee smells when I’m low on fluids.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It could be the change in your diet and ketosis, in my view, is not necessarily a good thing, it means your body is burning muscle instead of fat. I know others will come on and say I am wrong but I am an ex nurse and a diabetic. Some ketones in your urine is a sign you are losing weight but ketosis is a totally different thing to ketones. Also, what have you been eating, asparagus smells as do artichokes and lots of other strong veg. Go to the doctor to rule our an infection but dont worry too much even that has a simple cure.

• posted by Smaus
    on

Thanks Sunshine Girl that is a really helpful post.

Pendiente, I had something similar last week (wk7) – urine had a distinctly acetone whiff for a couple of days – which was before I confused my senses by eating asparagus, with its distinctive aroma! My carbs have subsequently been a little higher (by accident) and I’d say “normal” scent has resumed. Hope you get a clean bill of health from the medic; I will be a bit more alive to this now.

Smaus

Please log in or register to post a reply.