Help please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Can anyone help me understand my blood sugar levels please. Started diet on Tuesday and blood glucose level 9:2 then over the first 3 days it dropped to 6:2 now it’s 9:4, I’m very confused, have lost 7 lbs which is fab but struggling to understand d blood sugars …. Help please 😊

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jahooly. A similar thing happened to me, and I’ve seen lots of comments from different people on here saying the same. Sorry, I don’t know why – just that it seems quite common on here. But stick with it. My fasting blood when I started was 10.9 and now it’s normally between 5 and 6 with the occasional reading between 6 and 7. Previously I struggled to get it under 7.

• posted by dvpeace
    on

It is important to understand that many things affect blood sugars, stress, mental activity, illness, hormones etc. Therefore, i think it would be better to look at the average – rather than daily readings. Are you sickening for something?

• posted by mountainman
    on

Hi Jahooly,
    I did a quick Google search but couldn’t find anything. Here are my suggestions for things that might cause errors in your BS results.
    – timing of your testing … are these results all morning (fasting) results or were they taken at different times?
    – sometimes if you don’t wash your hands before the pinprick then you get a false result.
    – time you take your drugs compared to the time you did your BS tests … particularly if you are not using the slow release version of Metformin
    – one thing I did find on Google is that even the smell of food can trigger release of insulin … was someone making a bacon sandwhich before you did the pinprick?

I agree with Captain Lynne. I’ve been diabetic since 2003 and I actually stopped self testing my blood sugars. I got a lot of variance in the results and I couldn’t get good correlation with my HbA1c. Don’t get upset about individual results … stick with it. The objective is to fix your blood sugars for the rest of your life … 3 individual results aren’t that important.

Cheers
    Martin

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Thank you captain Lynne good to know it s not necessarily something I’ve done, glad that yours has now stabilised more…. How long ha s you been doing this ?

And dvpeace thanks for response I was feeling a little stressy this morning before doing it, I just have not got my head around this yet and even when I read up on things it doesn’t stay in my head ….. Thanks for the support

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Hello Martin, thank you for that, and taking time to google it that is very kind ……. I think I’m becoming a little ott with the testing, my results and emotional state are up and down like a yo yo……… I’m not in medication yet but think they will be looking at that at my review which is why I’m trying this , Have you done well with it ? Have to say that I am now enjoying it, headaches have passed and I’m not feeling hungry

Thanks again for support

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Jahooly, if you go to my thread “Over the 8-week line and after” on this board you’ll get my full story.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Jahooly…Martin’s right. Testing only tells you what is happening at one fixed point and it is so so easy to become obsessed…..been there myself so stopped testing and now rely on HBA1C results.
    You’re doing the right thing trying this way of living so better to give yourself a break and relax…stress makes blood sugar go wild sometimes so a bit of mindfulness and being kind to yourself might help!

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Thanks captainlynne did just that thanks, very inspiring and a brilliant t achievement for you , congratulations….. Great to have the support of others

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Thanks Aliba, you’re right, need to be kinder to myself and less stressed, will take your words of wisdom . Sounds like you’re doing well

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Jahooly I had exactly the same thing week 2.
    Someone on here suggested that I wasn’t having enough fat to prevent my liver releasing sugar into the blood overnight.
    I added more fat to my diet and the sugar levels fell quickly.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Yes fat…eat more of it with the protein and veg….coconut oil, a little butter, full fat milk, full fat cottage cheese…you have to recondition yourself…..it improves your mood, your skin and keeps you fuller…listen to Bill he’s a man of wisdom!
    Jahooly…I’ve lost 12lbs in 3 weeks on the 800, a total of 30lbs in the last year (before this tried the 5:2 and cut back on sugar) feel healthier and happier than I ever have on this plan but believe me I haven’t been a saint on this and have gone over 800 at weekends or I might have lost more. But the principles of it are very sound.
    Every time I read a post on here I think…yes, that was me or I’ve been there and know how that feels…some of it is just getting your head in the right place like Dr M says. The Headspace App that he recommends is good and worth a try. Good luck…7lb weight loss is magnificent!

Please log in or register to post a reply.